View Poll Results: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    66 39.05%
  • No

    63 37.28%
  • Maybe

    10 5.92%
  • I Don't Know

    4 2.37%
  • Mel Gibson

    7 4.14%
  • Penguins Are Eating My Eyes!!?

    19 11.24%
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 530
Like Tree148Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    662
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    When I read this passage the Catholic church came to mind....

    1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
    1 Tim 4:1-5 (KJV)
    Timeline and claysmithr like this.
    Lonely without He’s staying; Lonely within am I; While I am still delaying, Will He not pass me by?

    Sweetly the tones are falling; “Open the door for Me! If thou wilt heed My calling, I will abide with thee.”

  2. #22
    Senior Member Laodicea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,874
    Blog Entries
    18
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
    When I read this passage the Catholic church came to mind....

    1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
    1 Tim 4:1-5 (KJV)
    I agree with you on this one it does talk about the Papacy, we must remember that it is the system not the people God has people in all churches although there can only be one truth
    John 10:16
    (16) And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    662
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laodicea View Post
    I agree with you on this one it does talk about the Papacy, we must remember that it is the system not the people God has people in all churches although there can only be one truth
    John 10:16
    (16) And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
    Thanks man, I know we disagree on other things but I'm glad to see we're on the same page on this. Hope you have a blessed Lord's Day.
    Lonely without He’s staying; Lonely within am I; While I am still delaying, Will He not pass me by?

    Sweetly the tones are falling; “Open the door for Me! If thou wilt heed My calling, I will abide with thee.”

  4. #24
    Senior Member Laodicea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,874
    Blog Entries
    18
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
    Thanks man, I know we disagree on other things but I'm glad to see we're on the same page on this. Hope you have a blessed Lord's Day.
    Thanks although I keep the seventh day as my Lord did I do not wish to keep a day that was changed by the Papacy

    God Bless

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    662
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laodicea View Post
    Thanks although I keep the seventh day as my Lord did I do not wish to keep a day that was changed by the Papacy

    God Bless
    Well, it's still the 7th day where I live
    Lonely without He’s staying; Lonely within am I; While I am still delaying, Will He not pass me by?

    Sweetly the tones are falling; “Open the door for Me! If thou wilt heed My calling, I will abide with thee.”

  6. #26
    Senior Member Laodicea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,874
    Blog Entries
    18
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    I am in Australia and to me Saturday is the seventh day I do not wish to get into a argument about the sabbath but I am just letting you know that I do not keep the same day as the Papacy I keep the same day as my Lord

    God Bless
    biscuit likes this.

  7. #27
    MissTatiana
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    As a Catholic, I simply ask that you actually educate yourself on what Catholics believe and why Catholics believe. As a Protestant for a few years, I fought tooth and nail against Catholicism and then realized how much I really did not truly know about Catholicism. Learning about Catholicism brought me to the Catholic Church and I am very blessed to be a Catholic Christian.

    Great site to check out so that you all may be educated on what Catholics TRULY believe: Catholic Online

    We could easily turn the table around and point out how many scandals pastors have caused, how much money pastors and other religious leaders have stolen from their people, and how the Bible and Holy Tradition does not support the beliefs of Protestant denominations. And don't forget, Protestants are also very poor examples of living the Biblical truth they preach about. Come to my parish or the parish I started out in and you'd be shocked to find many Catholics who live the faith. But that's another topic for another day.

    Blessings!

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    662
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissTatiana View Post
    As a Catholic, I simply ask that you actually educate yourself on what Catholics believe and why Catholics believe. As a Protestant for a few years, I fought tooth and nail against Catholicism and then realized how much I really did not truly know about Catholicism. Learning about Catholicism brought me to the Catholic Church and I am very blessed to be a Catholic Christian.

    Great site to check out so that you all may be educated on what Catholics TRULY believe: Catholic Online

    We could easily turn the table around and point out how many scandals pastors have caused, how much money pastors and other religious leaders have stolen from their people, and how the Bible and Holy Tradition does not support the beliefs of Protestant denominations. And don't forget, Protestants are also very poor examples of living the Biblical truth they preach about. Come to my parish or the parish I started out in and you'd be shocked to find many Catholics who live the faith. But that's another topic for another day.

    Blessings!
    I'd be curious as to how you as a Catholic would define the Gospel?
    Lonely without He’s staying; Lonely within am I; While I am still delaying, Will He not pass me by?

    Sweetly the tones are falling; “Open the door for Me! If thou wilt heed My calling, I will abide with thee.”

  9. #29
    Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heresy]
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,272
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
    When I read this passage the Catholic church came to mind....

    1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
    1 Tim 4:1-5 (KJV)
    How on earth does that apply to the Catholic Church? No one is forbidden to marry. IN fact, marriage is a sacrament in the Catholic Church.

    For a more proper understanding of the Catholic church and the concept of priestly celibacy (which is VOLUNTARY), this article may help. Celibacy and the Priesthood

    Remember the words of Our Lord, "Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom it is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it" (Matt. 19:11–12).

  10. #30
    Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heresy]
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,272
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude653 View Post
    Let's look at how many Biblical principals catholicism violates.. 1 They call a preist father, and the book of Matheew says that no ,man is to called father, 2 They pray to saints,, which is idol worship. 3 they go to a preist to intercede to God for them when Christ is our priest to intercede for us. 4. The preist tells you to say a few vain repetaive prayers that mean nothing and all is forgiven. 5 , They have graven images in the church.. threr may be more.. but these are the ones i can think of af hand
    1: Well, I guess poor old Apostle John is condemned. After all he referred to himself many times in his letters as a father to the various churches he led. And Paul too tells us that he became a father to us through Christ Jesus. Guess poor old Paul should have known better eh?

    2. We pray THROUGH the saints. We remember the words of Our Lord who reminds us that He is the God of the Living not of the Dead. The saints are well aware of us down here and are recorded several times in the Scriptures as cheering us on and rejoicing when a sinner repents. Why would we not ask them to pray for us?

    3. Christ gave His apostles the authority to forgive sins in His name. The apostles appointed successors who in turn apointed more successors. Priests are the successors to the apostles, and as such, have the same authority to offer forgiveness IN JESUS's NAME.

    4. You've never actually been to confession have you? How is quoting the gospels and meditating on the life of Our Lord vain?

    5. You do realize that God Himself commanded statues of cherubim and seraphim to be made and placed in His temple. God has no issues with the use of statues in His worship. He has a problem with people worshipping the statues themselves, but Catholics don't do that.
    claysmithr likes this.

  11. #31
    Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heresy]
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,272
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
    I'd be curious as to how you as a Catholic would define the Gospel?
    The teachings of Our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ, passed on to us through His Church both in Scripture and Holy Tradition.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Laodicea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,874
    Blog Entries
    18
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by dscherck View Post
    1: Well, I guess poor old Apostle John is condemned. After all he referred to himself many times in his letters as a father to the various churches he led. And Paul too tells us that he became a father to us through Christ Jesus. Guess poor old Paul should have known better eh?

    2. We pray THROUGH the saints. We remember the words of Our Lord who reminds us that He is the God of the Living not of the Dead. The saints are well aware of us down here and are recorded several times in the Scriptures as cheering us on and rejoicing when a sinner repents. Why would we not ask them to pray for us?

    3. Christ gave His apostles the authority to forgive sins in His name. The apostles appointed successors who in turn apointed more successors. Priests are the successors to the apostles, and as such, have the same authority to offer forgiveness IN JESUS's NAME.

    4. You've never actually been to confession have you? How is quoting the gospels and meditating on the life of Our Lord vain?

    5. You do realize that God Himself commanded statues of cherubim and seraphim to be made and placed in His temple. God has no issues with the use of statues in His worship. He has a problem with people worshipping the statues themselves, but Catholics don't do that.
    Can you give some Bible to back up your claims?

  13. #33
    Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heresy]
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,272
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laodicea View Post
    Can you give some Bible to back up your claims?
    1. Call No Man "Father"? has plenty of scripture.

    2.Praying to the Saints
    Saint Worship?
    Do Catholics Worship Statues?
    Here's a few links regarding question2.

    3.Apostolic Succession
    The Forgiveness of Sins

    4. Confession
    Also, the second link in part 3 has more.

    5. Do Catholics Worship Statues? already linked above, but this does directly answer things.

    Also, I can find more scripture later, but I have a toddler who needs me to help her fall asleep.
    claysmithr likes this.

  14. #34
    SantoSubito
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude653 View Post
    Let's look at how many Biblical principals catholicism violates.. 1 They call a priest father, and the book of Mathew says that no ,man is to called father, 2 They pray to saints,, which is idol worship. 3 they go to a priest to intercede to God for them when Christ is our priest to intercede for us. 4. The priest tells you to say a few vain repetitive prayers that mean nothing and all is forgiven. 5 , They have graven images in the church.. threr may be more.. but these are the ones i can think of af hand
    1. The priest of each parish is our spiritual father as he guides us on our way to salvation.

    2. Idolatry is the worship of a false god; the veneration of the Saints does not fall under the definition of idolatry, because we do not worship them. You may not know this but the Catholic Church draws a distinction between latria and dulia. Latria is worship which is given only to the Holy Trinity; dulia is the honor given to the Saints.

    3. I'm assuming you're referring to confession here. In the Sacrament of Reconciliation the priest acts in persona Christi; he becomes an agent through which Christ forgives us.

    4. I'm assuming you think all written prayers are vain repetition then? Otherwise you're simply being inconsistent if you think that prayers like the Lord's prayer and the Psalms aren't vain repetitions if said more than once; but specifically Catholic prayers like the Hail Mary and Glory Be are.

    However, the main thing you need to notice in that verse is the modifier vain which means the repetitions are only vain if they are done to simply appear pious or they don't have their heart and mind in the prayers they are repeating.

    5. You have graven images all over your house at this very moment, in fact, as you read this you're looking at graven images. The prohibition of graven images is tied into the prohibition of worshiping false gods; God did not prohibit all graven images he prohibited idols that were worshiped as gods. Also, I don't think God would go against his own commandments by ordering that Cherubim be crafted and put onto the Ark of the Covenant. But if we go by your definition of that commandment then God broke his own commandments, and he would have broke them again when he ordered Moses to craft a bronze serpent.

  15. #35
    Senior Member kayem77's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,380
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by rainacorn View Post
    I have met very few Catholics that have actually read the Bible. I'm not being dramatic or anything, that's just absolutely been my experience and half of my family is born and raised Catholic. They all pray constantly, they all take the Lord's name in vain and they all get immediately defensive if someone says something bad about the Church or God. It's just strange, in my opinion. How can you feel like your religion is your lifestyle but never read the Bible? I mean be TOTALLY CLUELESS about what it says in there unless it's part of a prayer they had to memorize.

    My 2 little nephews currently attend a Catholic school. They're like 5 and 6. Anyway, one of them said to me 'I believe in God the Father and Jesus is his son and the Mother Mary.'

    I don't think Catholicism is evil but it is certainly quite different from Protestantism. I would say most people learn the big 3 as the trinity- Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So far these kids have learned about 3 separate people- God, Jesus and Mary.

    So strange. Growing up, I remember the Catholic half of my family teasing the Protestant half of my family about 'worshiping Jesus.' Like to them it was the funniest thing in the world, but if you ask them if they are saved in Christ they say 'yes.'


    I TOTALLY RELATE TO YOU RAINACORN! My whoooooooooooole family is catholic, and some of them are very devout but don't read the Bible. Weird right? How can you be devout and not know the Word of God? Because they just pray and like you say, they just pray some parts they have to memorize so they don't need to open the Bible. I'm not trying to offend but since I'm somebody who was catholic I didn't feel I had a relationship with God . My experience was not good being catholic, and by the way I wasn't just a catholic that doesn't go to church unless is christmas, although me and my family didn't go ALL sundays, my mom is STILL a very good friend of a priest. And we used to pray and my mom has several angels and Mary and Jesus pictures in the house for veneration.

    The priest used to go dinner to the house, and what is still weird to me, is how he neveeer read the Bible to my parents or told them heyy you should read matthew or this or that you know? He just told them to read a particular psalm and repeat those verses at night. I was likee whaaaat? And it's funny how they don't mention Jesus a lot, but Mary :/. This happened not just in his church, but in all churches where I lived. They just focused in some prays but didn't tell how hoy to have a relationship with Jesus.

    Like you said rainacorn, some catholics even laugh if you dare to sayy I LOVE JESUSS! He is my savior! but ask them and they will say yess we believe in Him, Jesus saved us. Like whaaat!?????????????????

    So from my experience, it's not evil, but it doesn't teach you who is really the savior and a lot of people fall into idol worship, and you may as well qualify it as evil for that. My mom doesn't realize that she is worshipping Mary more than Jesus, but goosh I can't tell her because that would be a big offense. :/

    I'm sure they don't intent to be evil, but I think most people don't get a real experience with God.
    claysmithr likes this.

  16. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2011
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by dscherck View Post
    How on earth does that apply to the Catholic Church? No one is forbidden to marry.
    Priests and nuns are forbidden to marry.

    Quote Originally Posted by dscherck View Post
    IN fact, marriage is a sacrament in the Catholic Church.

    For a more proper understanding of the Catholic church and the concept of priestly celibacy (which is VOLUNTARY),
    Becoming a priest is voluntary. Celibacy is mandatory for priests.

    Quote Originally Posted by dscherck View Post
    this article may help. Celibacy and the Priesthood

    Remember the words of Our Lord, "Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom it is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it" (Matt. 19:11–12).
    Priests don't renounce marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. They renounce it because it's a requirement of the office.

    This isn't the only doctrine of demons that the Catholic Church takes heed to. They also command to obstain from foods.

  17. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    I believe this is not a good topic or thread. All this does is spew hate against Catholics especially since I encountered some people here who hate people who are Catholic.

    I was so glad the threads against Catholics was all wiped out when the site went down not I believe last year.
    Last edited by Shyness; June 12th, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2011
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shyness View Post
    I believe this is not a good topic or thread. All this does is spew hate against Catholics especially since I encountered some people here who hate Catholics.
    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. (Ephesians 5:11)

    104 Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way. (Psalm 119:104)

  19. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    I believe those people who are against Catholics claiming that we are idolators and worship Mary and etc are false claims that are all made up in one's mind with no research to back it up. There is no proof to back it up. It's all to justify hate and no nothing about the Catholic church since they never took the time and put in a sincere honest effort to do research before making accusations.
    Last edited by Shyness; June 12th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.

  20. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is Roman Catholicism Evil?

    no=know *error*

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Roman Catholicism Evil?
    By trust_in_the_name in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 14th, 2014, 04:13 AM
  2. 56%
    By loveschild in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: September 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM
  3. MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT
    By paulnsilas in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: August 18th, 2011, 11:38 PM
  4. Sure, not ALL evil!!!
    By cows_chewing_grass in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
  5. Baptize by Blazing FIRE day 12 and 13
    By sislt777 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM