Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2011
    Age
    20
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0

    Default I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    About a year ago.I looked up blasphemy against the holy spirit then I started thinking about it.Then I started thinking about it to much.Then I wondered if I ever did it ? Well I started getting bad thoughts.I started getting blasphemy thoughts.Well after 5months they went away.Now they have come back those same bad thoughts.I really don't know what to do.I don't know if I'm fighting with myself or the enemy or I don't know what's going on.

  2. #2
    Brandon777
    Guest

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Although the Holy Bible doesn't specify what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is, it can be guaranteed that it's a sin which Jesus blood does not cover. The only way for that to happen is if you don't accept Jesus as Lord of one's life. In other words, that's likely it right there. Someone who denies the resurrection. Don't be worried about what sin it is because the Holy Bible doesn't give it, so we don't need to know. We are given what makes a person saved. So trust in that. If you believe in the virgin birth, Jesus literally coming to the earth in an earthly body. He is the Son of God and the Messiah, and the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and you trust Him with your life. We are saved by grace through faith and a true faith is one which is said to be alive shown by good works.

    Worry? Doubt? Do they sound like good things? No! Don't drag your feet in the mud because of this small issue. If God means a lot to you then you have nothing to worry about, you're in His hands. I want to answer other posts so I didn't give the many Scripture references for this post. If you want them then just mail me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Laodicea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    18
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Quote Originally Posted by jj408 View Post
    About a year ago.I looked up blasphemy against the holy spirit then I started thinking about it.Then I started thinking about it to much.Then I wondered if I ever did it ? Well I started getting bad thoughts.I started getting blasphemy thoughts.Well after 5months they went away.Now they have come back those same bad thoughts.I really don't know what to do.I don't know if I'm fighting with myself or the enemy or I don't know what's going on.
    If you are thinking like that it is a sign that you have not committed that sin. The unpardonable sin is continued rejection of the Holy Spirit until a person does not hear the voice of the Holy Spirit anymore, they do not feel convicted.

    This verse tells the work of the Holy Spirit
    John 16:8
    (8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

    Notice the first work of the Holy Spirit is to convict of sin. To feel conviction of sin is a good thing cause it shows the Holy Spirit is working on you, it is when a person does not feel convicted is when there is a problem.

    God Bless

    Proverbs 6:23 KJV
    (23) For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:




  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2011
    Age
    23
    Posts
    362
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Read this, it is patristic nectar from St Maximus the confessor about blasphemy. His words are like a healing ointment "The wholesome tongue is a tree of life, and he that keeps it shall be filled with understanding." ( Proverbs 15:4 LXX)


    "When the intellect begins to advance in its love for God, the demon of blasphemy starts to tempt it, suggesting thoughts such as no man but only the devil, their father, could invent. He does this out of envy, so that the man of God, in his despair at thinking such thoughts, no longer dares to soar up to God in his accustomed prayer. But the demon does not further his own ends by this means. On the contrary, he makes us more steadfast. For through his attacks and our retaliation we grow more experienced and genuine in our love for God. May his sword enter his own heart and may his bows be broken (cf. Ps. 37:15)."

    From St. Maximos the Confessor (c. 580 – 13 August 662) (The Philokalia Vol. 2; Faber and Faber pg. 61):

  5. #5
    theBibleisawsome
    Guest

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Hey I went thru the exact same thing the thoughts tryed to get in my head to but I prayed and cryed to Jesus to help me it was hard time for Me but I kept saying in Jesus Name a.n I got thru it because of Jesus so just pray and cry to Jesus for help and really mean it and he will help and say in Jesus Name and the devil has to run from u trust me I went thru the exact sMe thing in Jesus name God Bless ill pray for u

  6. #6
    Crimeny
    Guest

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    i also went through something similar, just keep reading the bible, go to church and call out to Jesus, save me Lord!

    keep strong and avoid all sins and tempations, it gets turbulent the first couple of months.

    Also Laodicea, what does it mean when you say convict of sin?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2011
    Age
    20
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    thanks to everyone who is praying for me.I'm really in need of prayer.Thanks for all the replies.I don't feel so alone anymore.Knowing that others have gone threw the same and went threw it and got threw it is motivating.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Laodicea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    18
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimeny View Post
    i also went through something similar, just keep reading the bible, go to church and call out to Jesus, save me Lord!

    keep strong and avoid all sins and tempations, it gets turbulent the first couple of months.

    Also Laodicea, what does it mean when you say convict of sin?
    Convict of sin means to feel guilty, to feel guilty is a good thing for it shows the HS is working on us.
    Romans 7:13
    (13) Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
    Galatians 3:24

    (24) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

    Remember we are not saved by our works we are saved by His works, we are to surrender to Him and He works in us.


    Proverbs 6:23 KJV
    (23) For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:




  9. #9
    theBibleisawsome
    Guest

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Amen jj408 Jesus will help u God Bless

  10. #10
    Senior Member shemaiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2011
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,233
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Bro, firstly once the Holy Spirit comes in you He never lets go. The bible says He who began the good work in you will be faithful unto the end. That is why you can never lose your salvation. Secondly, blesphemy against the Holy Spirit can only be done by non-Christians. The worst christians can do is grieve Him. Jesus was warning the pharisees and never did He tell anyone else that. In the letters all Paul tells us is not to grieve the Spirit. God bless
    Everything you are to me, is everything I'll ever need!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    49
    Posts
    21,197
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    If we look at the passage in questions. Jesus told them they were in DANGER of committing this sin. even though they had already pretty much done it by attributing the work of the HS in Christ to Satan. Which shows us that there is still hope, even though we might at one time or another attribute the work of the HS to someone else. They called the HS a liar when not only the prophets through the HS said the messiah would do what he was doing proving he was the messiah. but by rejecting the messiah himself.

    As Laodicia showed. It is the HS' Job to convict the world of sin righteousness and judgment. If we die having not repented of these things, we did calling the HS a liar. If we follow a false gospel, trying to get to heaven a way different than the HS shows us, we commit this sin which we can never repent of. thus have died in a blasphemous state.

    at this point, those who have done this will stand at the great white throne, and be judged according to their works (notice not according to any sins they committed) and be found guilty. Not because they committed personal sin, But because they have died committing the unpardonable sin of blasphemy, or dissension, from the truth of the HS.

    as someone said earlier. A TRUE christian can not commit this sin, He has already accepted the truth, and been saved by it.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  12. #12
    Senior Member Snackersmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2011
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,308
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    jj, only God knows for sure, but it sounds to me like you've perhaps been TEMPTED to blaspheme The Holy Spirit, but didn't actually do it. It isn't a sin to be tempted to do something, only to give in to temptation. I would pray about it, and ask Jesus to NEVER let you commit that sin, and try to stop worrying about it. It sounds like your worrying is only making you think about it more, which keeps it on your mind. Resist the devil, and he will flee; the next time those thoughts creep in to your mind, chase them away by praising Jesus. He has not given us a Spirit of fear.......... God bless.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2010
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,810
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    When we really read into the scriptures that Laodicea has posted we come to understand that if/when we have grieved the Holy Spirit to such a point, the Holy Spirit would no longer be dealing with us and renewing our hearts. jj408, the Holy Spirit is still clearly at work in your life or you wouldn't be here and your spiritual condition would not be of such great concern to you.

    Devout your life to Christ and pursue Him. His peace will come to you.

    1 John 4:18 - There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

    A wise old pastor once put it like this: If your heart is hardened to the point that you are capable of committing the unpardonable sin, you won't care.

  14. #14
    HhhLGA89
    Guest

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Laodicea I really like your answer to the question, I have heard something similar before on this issue, but you explained it very well.

    I believe that blaspeming the holy spirit is the same as what occurs in Hebrews 10:29:

    How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?

    This seems, at least to me, to be what Jesus is refering to when He spoke about blaspheming the HS. This is obviously an Arminian perspective though...However, one who has never believed in Christ can do the very same thing -spurn the Son of God, profane the blood of the covenant, outrage the Spirit of grace. We see this alot with militant atheist and people of other religious backgrounds.

    Of course a believer can do the same thing. It would have to be an outright blasphemous repudiation, not like Peter who denied Christ out of fear. He did not truely despise Christ or the gospel, it was not a rejection from the heart, but was done out of fear and was not something he would have done otherwise..

    You might say "I have know people who have been devilishly blasphemous against the HS -saying all manner of evil, and have come to Christ." I would say they did not do it with a full understanding of the truth, not truly knowing that jesus was the Christ. I would say Paul blasphemed the HS before his conversion, but from 1 Timothy 1:13:
    Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.
    It's clear he didn't truly blashpeme the HS because he did it in ignorance, he didn't believe that Jesus was the Christ. I don't think you blasphemed the HS because you still get convicted, you show that you haven't outright rejected Christianity and that God has not taken his HS from you. Idk..thats just my perspective, and I find it to be reasonable.

    For those who have, however, Hebrews 12:17: For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears.

    But I don't think this would be someone who is alive on earth, but the one who is standing before Christ at judgment begging for forgiveness, when there is no longer any chance for forgiveness. The same one who says Lord Lord in Matthew 7:23:

    “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

    (I'm sure there would be many reasons why he could say i never knew you.)

    Since, again, you show (to me at least) that you still have the HS, due to your concern. I don't think this is you.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,265
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    I would not worry about it,you know why,because if you are that worried about it,and that afraid that you did it,and so afraid of doing it,you did not blaspheme against God.

    The thing is you looked up blasphemy against the Spirit,then you wondered if you did it,so you did not know for sure that you did it,and then after that you had bad thoughts about it.

    But it seems like you are so afraid of committing blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that you wonder if you did it,or believe you did it,but I do not believe you blasphemed the Spirit,but you are so afraid of blaspheming the Spirit,which makes you keep your mind on it until you somewhat confuse yourself,and it is really a feeling that you are afraid of blaspheming and not actually blaspheming.

    It is like a side effect of a anti depressant drug that it might give you thoughts of suicide,but the side effect cannot actually give you a side effect of thoughts,for it can't put words in your mind,but it gives you the feeling and the thoughts accompany that.

    The thing is it is a feeling of worrying about it,because you are so afraid to think that,and not actually doing it.

    If we are so afraid of thinking something because it bothers us,and worry about it,our mind will stay on that and the feeling will become more intense in worry and fear,which because of the intense feeling we then think we are thinking something wrong.

    That is why the bad thoughts came later,because when you first thought did I blaspheme the Spirit,the feeling is low,not too much stress on the mind,but if you worry about it and are afraid that you might have done it,over a period of time the feeling becomes intense,because of stress,then because of that increased intense feeling because you stressed your mind somewhat,you think you did blaspheme because of the feeling of anxiety,not because you actually did it.

    Or so it seems.

    My friend loved the Lord,and never said anything against God,and was never mad at God,and only said good things about God,but he thought that he blasphemed the Spirit,and I told him you are so afraid of blaspheming against the Spirit that you think you might have blasphemed against the Spirit.

    Another friend had a daughter that was about 3 years old,and he told me he had a thought of having sex with her when she was an adult that bothered him,and I told him you are so worried of ever having a thought like that,that you think you had a thought like that because you are worried about it.

    It seems like if we are so afraid of having a certain thought,that would bother us,that thought will come up because we are worried about ever having a thought like that.

    God said overcome evil with good,and if you keep worrying am I doing wrong,am I doing wrong,you might think you did wrong,but if you go about keeping your mind on goodness and go about doing good,you keep your mind positive and don't worry about did I do wrong,which if you worry about it can make you think you did wrong,at least thought wise.

    But we also know we will be tempted,and we can't let temptations get us down,which my pastor said he almost let temptations beat him down,which must mean it must have bothered him to have temptations,thinking he can overcome thinking anything like that,but we will be tempted.

    That is the case with some people that worried that they blasphemed,which I believe they really did not blaspheme,which seems like your case.

    Blaspheming against God is calling God evil when God is good,like saying God is punishing me,or God does not care about me,or does not care about people,or Christianity is evil,which that is what the beast does is blaspheme against God by saying the Christian religion is evil and God is not real.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2011
    Age
    20
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Well thank you to everyone.All these posts are very helpful.I feel better.I know I can overcome these evil thoughts.The thoughts come into my head but I fight them.It's like I don't accept them.I can still picture myself doing the works of god.

  17. #17
    Senior Member tribesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2011
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,359
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Quote Originally Posted by jj408 View Post
    About a year ago.I looked up blasphemy against the holy spirit then I started thinking about it.Then I started thinking about it to much.Then I wondered if I ever did it ? Well I started getting bad thoughts.I started getting blasphemy thoughts.Well after 5months they went away.Now they have come back those same bad thoughts.I really don't know what to do.I don't know if I'm fighting with myself or the enemy or I don't know what's going on.
    I'd agree with the posters that has said that if you have this kind of worry then that is a sign you have not committed the unpardonable sin. Feelings of guilt are good, they are there to help us confess, ask for forgiveness, receive forgiveness, repent and do better. This is normal for a christian life.
    Matt.6:14-15 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

    A perfect faith is nowhere to be found, so it follows that all of us are partly unbelievers. - John Calvin

  18. #18
    Senior Member superdave5221's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2009
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,407
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Quote Originally Posted by jj408 View Post
    About a year ago.I looked up blasphemy against the holy spirit then I started thinking about it.Then I started thinking about it to much.Then I wondered if I ever did it ? Well I started getting bad thoughts.I started getting blasphemy thoughts.Well after 5months they went away.Now they have come back those same bad thoughts.I really don't know what to do.I don't know if I'm fighting with myself or the enemy or I don't know what's going on.
    Blasphemy against Holy Spirit is not something that we do without intent, in my opinion. It also implies clear knowledge of that intent at the time it is committed.

    If you look at the context of where it is mentioned in Matthew 12 it is clear that the Pharisees intentionally did that which they knew to be wrong, and did so maliciously.

    The Pharisees were teachers and doctors of the Law. They were also administrators of the Law. Throughout the O.T., all prophets who claimed to speak for God established themselves through signs and miracles. The author E. Bammel points out in his book, John Did No Miracles, that "the praise of a man of God who did not perform miracles was completely unknown in Jewish sources". The only exception was John the Baptist, whose status as a prophet was confirmed by the subsequent signs and miracles of Jesus. See 2 Cor 12:12; Heb. 2:3-4 concerning signs and miracles.

    Therefore, in the context of this passage, Jesus had clearly established Himself at this time by the signs and wonders that He was performing. The fact that He could cast out demons was a further sign that He spoke for God. The Pharisees were thus denying the power of Holy Spirit that they had clearly seen demonstrated through Jesus, and attributing it to Satan.

    Jesus could read their hearts, and know that they were publicly denying that which they knew to be true.

    Since I have yet to see a prophet who has established himself by signs and wonders in modern times, it would be difficult to have the same degree of certainty that the Pharisees should have had, and thus to err in the same way that they did.

  19. #19
    Senior Member duewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    its a tough subject. i have done this myself. we have a sinful mind. sometimes our own mind seems to take delight in making our lives hell when we try to be Christians. that mind is used to being in control and it doesn't like that you are no longer letting it run your life. it then seems to attack you and try to get you in much trouble as possible.

    Jesus understands our hearts and minds. Jesus also understands our motives. is it your motive to do such a thing on purpose? are you intentionally trying to do it. or is it something that you worry about doing because you don't want to do it. if by just thinking about it creates the sin, every person who has read the bible has then committed this sin. after all we think and examine the things we read in the bible. if doing that is a sin, then we shouldnt read the bible in case it creates sin by us reading it. that of course isn't an option and therefor we know it to not be the case.

    for me personally i had none of these kinds of thoughts until i was awoken by Jesus. to then damn me for this when thinking about it only came about because of Jesus seems redundant. Jesus doesn't come into our lives to find new ways to damn us. the sinful mind becomes aware it has lost control. it then persecutes us for no longer letting it run things. this is just but one issue from the bible that creates great fear in believers. after all if your mind can convince you that your damned for this sin. then why bother trying to continue your walk as a Christian. accept that Jesus is the son of God. the mistakes we make on our walk will be judged by our motives for doing so. their is no justification for sin. motive for sins play strongly in our judgement. if you take delight in sinning you are in a lot of trouble. if even the thought of sinning or offending God creates fear in your life, thats actually a good thing. think how better the world would be if everyone was worried about offending God.

    duewell
    the rainbow connection

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,534
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I'm worried I might have committed blasphemy against the holy spirit

    Quote Originally Posted by jj408 View Post
    About a year ago.I looked up blasphemy against the holy spirit then I started thinking about it.Then I started thinking about it to much.Then I wondered if I ever did it ? Well I started getting bad thoughts.I started getting blasphemy thoughts.Well after 5months they went away.Now they have come back those same bad thoughts.I really don't know what to do.I don't know if I'm fighting with myself or the enemy or I don't know what's going on.
    Satan can and will use scripture against, and that's what he's doing to you right now.


    Matthew 4:1-11(NIV)
    1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a] by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

    4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[b]
    5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:
    “‘He will command his angels concerning you,
    and they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’[c]
    7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’[d]
    8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
    10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’[e]11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to open up the Holy Spirit?
    By david in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 12th, 2013, 09:56 PM
  2. So! You have the Holy Spirit IN you?
    By Cobus in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
  3. WHAT ABOUT?
    By Huldah in forum Testimonies
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: November 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
  4. The Fulness of the Godhead
    By loveschild in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 8th, 2011, 02:06 AM
  5. THE SERMON OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
    By babyblue in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM