Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
Like Tree33Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

  1. #1
    Senior Member GreenNnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2011
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,196
    Rep Power
    17

    Default What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    What does Jesus mean by this Scripture in the gospels?

    "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Rev. 3:20

    This is talking about what?



    Does this have anything to do with, "You have not chosen Me, I have chosen you" Scripture ?
    Without God, we have nothing. With Him, we have everything we ever need, and, more.

    Is compassion compassion at all if it's not based on the Truth ?

    The Holy Spirit leads ALL believers lives, wants to. Are you letting Him lead yours ?

    God bless your days !

  2. #2
    Senior Member RachelBibleStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    what are they eating? the wedding supper of the lamb? communion? or something else?
    GreenNnice likes this.
    Rachel

    **i am no longer posting in threads that get longer than ten pages**

  3. #3
    Senior Member GreenNnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2011
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,196
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelBibleStudent View Post
    what are they eating? the wedding supper of the lamb? communion? or something else?
    I don;t know, it may be alluding to the marriage supper of the lamb of Rev. 19. Good question. I think it's both a foreshadowing of that experience for all in Christ to have as the New Jerusalem is known (Rev. 20, 21) and eternity is begun, if that makes any sense.

    I think, however,too, this Scripture explains how Christ asks to be let into our hearts. He doesn't barge in; He knocks

    Laodicean church folk are 'lukewarm,' and, Christ is telling them He will split them out, being neither hot nor cold.
    Then, He, after having scolded them, let's them know He Loves them, in so many words.

    Rev. 3

    19"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock..."

  4. #4
    Senior Member RedTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2011
    Age
    89
    Posts
    7,096
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    This verse relates to scripture talking of food symbolically. When the lady was at the well in John 4, Jesus spoke of supplying spiritual food that gives us life. As we are told to pray, it again speaks of food as our daily bread. God sees with spiritual eyes, and uses our physical world to explain the spiritual to us. In our world, the physical often has a spiritual part.

    (Joh 4:10) Jesus answered her,"If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Giveme a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you livingwater."

    In the Lord's Prayer it says:
    (Mat 6:11) Give us this day our daily bread.

    God is saying that although He has chosen us, we must open the door to him and let Him in.

    A more thorough way that God relates food to the spiritual is when we are told to have communion service, and the bread represents all that Christ has done for us, and that He will live with us.

  5. #5
    Senior Member GreenNnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2011
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,196
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTent View Post
    This verse relates to scripture talking of food symbolically. When the lady was at the well in John 4, Jesus spoke of supplying spiritual food that gives us life. As we are told to pray, it again speaks of food as our daily bread. God sees with spiritual eyes, and uses our physical world to explain the spiritual to us. In our world, the physical often has a spiritual part.

    (Joh 4:10) Jesus answered her,"If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Giveme a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you livingwater."

    In the Lord's Prayer it says:
    (Mat 6:11) Give us this day our daily bread.

    God is saying that although He has chosen us, we must open the door to him and let Him in.

    A more thorough way that God relates food to the spiritual is when we are told to have communion service, and the bread represents all that Christ has done for us, and that He will live with us.
    I think this is a great analysis, Hisredtent, but communion I don't see that angle, but it could be, just my opine. I think it's talking about being in a state of Christianity that is not good and God still, though He has spit you out, so to speak, is standing at the door and knocking and letting you know IF you let go of your lukewarmness, He will be right there to not just come in but have food with you. You say 'spiritual food,' OK, I can see that. I think of the table prepared for us, too, like Psalm 23 last verses , too , milady


    I am not sure myself what to think of it\\this verse, other than what I'd already said , except, when it comes to the Lord's leading our lives, to our needing to come to Him for things that we're doing that are 'lukewarm,' He is a gentleman, He stands at the door and knocks and we are to listen for Him and we are to hear Him. If we do, Jesus will come in and sup with us. I think that 1 JOhn 1:9 relates well to this verse in Rev. 3:20 .

    Are your new floors all good now
    Without God, we have nothing. With Him, we have everything we ever need, and, more.

    Is compassion compassion at all if it's not based on the Truth ?

    The Holy Spirit leads ALL believers lives, wants to. Are you letting Him lead yours ?

    God bless your days !

  6. #6
    Senior Member RedTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2011
    Age
    89
    Posts
    7,096
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNnice View Post
    I think this is a great analysis, Hisredtent, but communion I don't see that angle, but it could be, just my opine. I think it's talking about being in a state of Christianity that is not good and God still, though He has spit you out, so to speak, is standing at the door and knocking and letting you know IF you let go of your lukewarmness, He will be right there to not just come in but have food with you. You say 'spiritual food,' OK, I can see that. I think of the table prepared for us, too, like Psalm 23 last verses , too , milady


    I am not sure myself what to think of it\\this verse, other than what I'd already said , except, when it comes to the Lord's leading our lives, to our needing to come to Him for things that we're doing that are 'lukewarm,' He is a gentleman, He stands at the door and knocks and we are to listen for Him and we are to hear Him. If we do, Jesus will come in and sup with us. I think that 1 JOhn 1:9 relates well to this verse in Rev. 3:20 .

    Are your new floors all good now
    Amazing how differently scripture speaks to each of us. I think God speaks to each of us personally through His words. I love "let go of your lukewarmness". I didn't see that. And relating it to the 23rd Psalm. The picture I get is of being filled with the food that only God can give.

    My floors are wonderful, but getting everything back in order is not. I'll be 88 in May, and my body objects to such long use.
    GreenNnice likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member GreenNnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2011
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,196
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTent View Post
    Amazing how differently scripture speaks to each of us. I think God speaks to each of us personally through His words. I love "let go of your lukewarmness". I didn't see that. And relating it to the 23rd Psalm. The picture I get is of being filled with the food that only God can give.

    My floors are wonderful, but getting everything back in order is not. I'll be 88 in May, and my body objects to such long use.
    Excellent 'picture,' Hisredtent. Yes, filled with His food, I like that 'Matthew West'? song, "I'll take you back.' He will always take us back, if we let go of our ways that don't please Him and embrace genuinely the ways that do please Him, the Lord leads, His power empowers us as we follow Him, worshipping, in spirit and in truth . He reveals all things to us, I can give a long list and timeframe of things I read a few years ago that are now much clearer than back then. I did not know of the Spirit in me when I read the bible all the way through when I was 26.


    And, also, I like your avatar picture, it looks like flower fields forever with a big red barn all that is around, picturesque, what a sight that would be to see. I asked my pastor once about the lilies of the field, that are white. And, my pastor, who has been to Israel let me know that the lilies are red, too, and the symbolicness of Christ's blood in those fields is evident, this he told me a few years ago but, hopefully, the gist is understood. Green brains, ya know, don't be deceived, these green brains need a lot more greens than most to flourish, right now, they're undernourished, too, thanks to taking antibiotics the past week for an infection, so, if you can, pray for me, milady, I will pray too for your body to absorb those nice wood? floors well . There are these 'rocker' shoes I saw in a magazine not too long ago, wow, the state of the artness of shoes these days, these shoes had literal coil springs in them . Talk about putting a spring in your step
    Last edited by GreenNnice; April 6th, 2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Without God, we have nothing. With Him, we have everything we ever need, and, more.

    Is compassion compassion at all if it's not based on the Truth ?

    The Holy Spirit leads ALL believers lives, wants to. Are you letting Him lead yours ?

    God bless your days !

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2009
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,361
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Revelation 3:20 implies that God desires all men to be saved, which is in accord with 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" and 1 Timothy 2:4 "Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth". Christ is knocking at the door of man's heart through His word and the conviction of the Holy Spirit however man has to open the door, in essence repent and believe the gospel, as seen in Mark 1:15 "And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel" and John 1:12 "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name", then He will cleanse their heart, forgive their sins, give them power to become sons of God, and bestow upon them superabundant grace to walk in newness of life.

    John 15:16 is not a proof text of election for salvation but is in the context of apostleship. Jesus was telling eleven of His disciples that He chose them, who had already been saved, for service, "go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain", meaning that they should be effective labourers in His vineyard. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world (John 17:18).
    GreenNnice likes this.
    Boundless love! A fountain of love
    That flow’d from Calv’ry.
    Redeeming grace! ‘Tis so efficacious;
    Leads wand’ring feet to Calv’ry.

    "So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy" (Romans 9:16)


  9. #9
    Senior Member GreenNnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2011
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,196
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by starfield View Post
    Revelation 3:20 implies that God desires all men to be saved, which is in accord with 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" and 1 Timothy 2:4 "Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth". Christ is knocking at the door of man's heart through His word and the conviction of the Holy Spirit however man has to open the door, in essence repent and believe the gospel, as seen in Mark 1:15 "And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel" and John 1:12 "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name", then He will cleanse their heart, forgive their sins, give them power to become sons of God, and bestow upon them superabundant grace to walk in newness of life.

    John 15:16 is not a proof text of election for salvation but is in the context of apostleship. Jesus was telling eleven of His disciples that He chose them, who had already been saved, for service, "go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain", meaning that they should be effective labourers in His vineyard. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world (John 17:18).
    milady, starryfields, you speak such sparkling wisdom again here, that sounds like a perfect interpretation to me, the Lord leads, I believe that when 'repent,' is in the Scripture, and ,it is in Rev. 3:20, then, there is that first time Christianity meaning, however, when someone is 'lukewarm' and neither hot nor cold, does this imply that the person of this church is a Christian who is both dipping in the good and dipping in the bad and not letting Christ alone lead their life ? In other words, being 'lukewarm' means you are serving two masters and we all know Scripture says we cannot serve two masters , either we will love the one and hate the other or hate the one and love the other, I think is how that Scripture goes . \
    God is asking them to repent of this sin, which is spit-worthy by Him, and, then He will take them in like nothing ever happened, they will wine and dine with Jesus
    Last edited by GreenNnice; April 6th, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
    Without God, we have nothing. With Him, we have everything we ever need, and, more.

    Is compassion compassion at all if it's not based on the Truth ?

    The Holy Spirit leads ALL believers lives, wants to. Are you letting Him lead yours ?

    God bless your days !

  10. #10
    Senior Member crossnote's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2012
    Age
    65
    Posts
    8,691
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    It's a lukewarm Church where Jesus is on the OUTSIDE knocking when he should have already been on the inside.
    Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

  11. #11
    Senior Member RedTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2011
    Age
    89
    Posts
    7,096
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    GreenNnice you have my prayers. Only help us by taking an acidophilus supplement for a week or two, or eat lots of alive yogurt. Those pills wiped out what is needed in your colon.

    How wonderful to share with another who loves the Lord!

    Wasn't that a beautiful day here in Oregon!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 17th, 2013
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,034
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    It's a lukewarm Church where Jesus is on the OUTSIDE knocking when he should have already been on the inside.
    Exactly, you nailed it. The majority of the church has rejected Him and now He is on the outside knocking and appealing to the individual.
    crosspreacher likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member crossnote's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2012
    Age
    65
    Posts
    8,691
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Earlmayknowornot View Post
    Exactly, you nailed it. The majority of the church has rejected Him and now He is on the outside knocking and appealing to the individual.
    Well, I would still say it was the local Church at Laocicea (not taking Jesus and things eternal serious enough), but yes, it could have individual application.
    Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

  14. #14


    PS
    PS is offline
    Senior Member PS's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2013
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,255
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNnice View Post
    What does Jesus mean by this Scripture in the gospels?

    "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Rev. 3:20

    This is talking about what?

    Does this have anything to do with, "You have not chosen Me, I have chosen you" Scripture ?
    Think of Zacchaeus.

    Revelation tells us the invitation is for "any man" and although Zacchaeus was one person the same holds true for all men.

    Zacchaeus sought the LORD (Isaiah 55:6) and climbed into a tree. When Jesus called, Zacchaeus responded and coming to Jesus he opened up his heart.

    If Reformed theology was correct there wouldn't be any Zacchaeus' neither would there be any rich young rulers and neither would we need to accept Jesus into our life.
    GreenNnice likes this.
    "Therefore, brothers, make every effort to confirm your calling and election,
    because if you do these things you will never stumble.
    " (2 Peter 1:10)

    The apostles could have rejected the call by Jesus to follow him but their acceptance ensured their election according to God's foreknowledge. Notice the possibility of "stumbling" and the need to make an effort including repentance, belief, and confession. These are the things WE need to do. (Lk 13:5; Jn 3:16; Jn 1:11-12; Ro 10:9; Ro 10:13)

  15. #15


    PS
    PS is offline
    Senior Member PS's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2013
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,255
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    Well, I would still say it was the local Church at Laocicea (not taking Jesus and things eternal serious enough), but yes, it could have individual application.
    Very true crossnote. Whether we are hypocrites like the people of Sardis, or shallow like those in Philadelphia or backsliding like those in Laodicea Jesus is knocking.

    This is Christ’s attitude to the Church in its final stages. We are living in the time of the last supper and despite all our failings all are invited, the same as we are invited to the wedding feast.

    The message is clear, plain and repeated, if only people had ears to hear and eyes to see because Jesus is constantly knocking.

    May God bless you, I enjoy reading your posts.
    "Therefore, brothers, make every effort to confirm your calling and election,
    because if you do these things you will never stumble.
    " (2 Peter 1:10)

    The apostles could have rejected the call by Jesus to follow him but their acceptance ensured their election according to God's foreknowledge. Notice the possibility of "stumbling" and the need to make an effort including repentance, belief, and confession. These are the things WE need to do. (Lk 13:5; Jn 3:16; Jn 1:11-12; Ro 10:9; Ro 10:13)

  16. #16


    jb
    jb is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2010
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,711
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
    First of all note, the Lord Jesus is speaking to believers NOT unbelievers. And this verse needs to be read with the rest of the letter to the Laodicean church (Rev 3v14-22). This church at Laodicea had been tended by Epaphras, a most sacrificial and prayerful servant of God, but the cares of this life, and the deceitfulness of riches, and other worldly desires, had dominated their lives and choked the Word of God. Matt 13v22, Mark 4v19, Luke 8v11-15. Church History and the Laodiceans prove that nothing can corrupt a person's character and spiritual life as quickly as wealth and affluence. Mark 4v19. All the Laodiceans actually possessed was a blind self-conceit and complacency; the fire, enthusiasm and love that Christ expects were gone, they had got to the place where they thought that their godliness was proved by material gain (does this sound familiar!). The Lord Jesus lovingly tells them their real spiritual condition, '...you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.' 1Tim 6v5,6 compare Phil 1v21, 3v7, 2Cor 8v9, Col 1v7, 4v12, Rev 3v17. Jesus was standing and knocking, not at the hearts of sinners, but at the hearts of the saints. Jesus was firmly shut out of the lives that He had saved. They thanked Him for His love, but would not listen to His plans, His guidance, or His desire to use them to bless a needy world. This happens today in many modern Laodicean churches. Jesus still knocks upon the closed door of the heart of luke warm Christians, by the Scriptures, by the Holy Spirit, by the example of spiritual Christians, and sometimes by painful means such as sickness, bereavement and persecution. 1Cor 11v27-32, 2Kings 10v31,32, 2Chron 16v7-12 with 2Chron 15v1-8 and 1Kings 15v1-15.He chastens in this way, so that we might have our eyes turned from the transient riches of earth to the eternal riches of Heaven. John 17v24, Luke 22v30,Matt 19v28, 2Tim 2v12, 2Cor 4v17,18. Jesus commands them to repent, and replace their lukewarm service by zeal. Jesus reproves and chastens those who He loves, if we will not listen to His wise counsel we must be taught to do so by a chastening that must of necessity be painful. Heb 12v1-17, John 3v20, 16v8, Job 5v17, Prov 3v12. Jesus makes the most tremendous efforts to save us from such a dreadful fate, He stands and knocks at the door of the heart, urgently, plainly and persistently, with great condescension, forbearance and importunity, and for those who hear there is complete restoration, they sup with God. Luke 12v36,37. John 10v4,27, 14v23.They also have the glorious prospect of reigning with Christ, a glorious promise that shows how the grace of God can restore the backslider. Jesus says that they could still overcome and reign with Him. Yahweh Shalom...

  17. #17
    Senior Member pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    13,871
    Rep Power
    31

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    My take may not be exact.
    But Jesus also said, take up my yoke and walk with me.
    Jesus also said, I do nothing on my own, all is given from the Father above.
    Lately this has been showing me that just as Jesus did all from God Our Father in heaven,
    That He wants to enter into us, and with us, feast on all that God Our Father gives us, together.
    By being with us, show and with us feast on Gods will, love and gifts.
    That this is what we are called to do.

    Just the understanding Ive been seeing though.

    God bless
    pickles
    Its really not that complicated, Jesus is the way, the truth and the life we are called to!
    The Joy of the Lord is your streangth!

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 17th, 2013
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,034
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    First of all note, the Lord Jesus is speaking to believers NOT unbelievers. And this verse needs to be read with the rest of the letter to the Laodicean church (Rev 3v14-22). This church at Laodicea had been tended by Epaphras, a most sacrificial and prayerful servant of God, but the cares of this life, and the deceitfulness of riches, and other worldly desires, had dominated their lives and choked the Word of God. Matt 13v22, Mark 4v19, Luke 8v11-15. Church History and the Laodiceans prove that nothing can corrupt a person's character and spiritual life as quickly as wealth and affluence. Mark 4v19. All the Laodiceans actually possessed was a blind self-conceit and complacency; the fire, enthusiasm and love that Christ expects were gone, they had got to the place where they thought that their godliness was proved by material gain (does this sound familiar!). The Lord Jesus lovingly tells them their real spiritual condition, '...you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.' 1Tim 6v5,6 compare Phil 1v21, 3v7, 2Cor 8v9, Col 1v7, 4v12, Rev 3v17. Jesus was standing and knocking, not at the hearts of sinners, but at the hearts of the saints. Jesus was firmly shut out of the lives that He had saved. They thanked Him for His love, but would not listen to His plans, His guidance, or His desire to use them to bless a needy world. This happens today in many modern Laodicean churches. Jesus still knocks upon the closed door of the heart of luke warm Christians, by the Scriptures, by the Holy Spirit, by the example of spiritual Christians, and sometimes by painful means such as sickness, bereavement and persecution. 1Cor 11v27-32, 2Kings 10v31,32, 2Chron 16v7-12 with 2Chron 15v1-8 and 1Kings 15v1-15.He chastens in this way, so that we might have our eyes turned from the transient riches of earth to the eternal riches of Heaven. John 17v24, Luke 22v30,Matt 19v28, 2Tim 2v12, 2Cor 4v17,18. Jesus commands them to repent, and replace their lukewarm service by zeal. Jesus reproves and chastens those who He loves, if we will not listen to His wise counsel we must be taught to do so by a chastening that must of necessity be painful. Heb 12v1-17, John 3v20, 16v8, Job 5v17, Prov 3v12. Jesus makes the most tremendous efforts to save us from such a dreadful fate, He stands and knocks at the door of the heart, urgently, plainly and persistently, with great condescension, forbearance and importunity, and for those who hear there is complete restoration, they sup with God. Luke 12v36,37. John 10v4,27, 14v23.They also have the glorious prospect of reigning with Christ, a glorious promise that shows how the grace of God can restore the backslider. Jesus says that they could still overcome and reign with Him. Yahweh Shalom...
    How many churches do you know today that preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified and how many do you know that preach a humanistic philosophy. Such as the purpose driven life and sustainability. Most hardly even mention Christ but rather teach their youth shuffling and have lights and lasers and really can't tell the difference if you are at a church or a nightclub. Its a big party. Much like when Moses came down from the mountain with the ten commandments and broke them immediately.
    zone and crossnote like this.

  19. #19


    PS
    PS is offline
    Senior Member PS's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2013
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,255
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    First of all note, the Lord Jesus is speaking to believers NOT unbelievers. And this verse needs to be read with the rest of the letter to the Laodicean church (Rev 3v14-22). This church at Laodicea had been tended by Epaphras, a most sacrificial and prayerful servant of God, but the cares of this life, and the deceitfulness of riches, and other worldly desires, had dominated their lives and choked the Word of God. Matt 13v22, Mark 4v19, Luke 8v11-15. Church History and the Laodiceans prove that nothing can corrupt a person's character and spiritual life as quickly as wealth and affluence. Mark 4v19. All the Laodiceans actually possessed was a blind self-conceit and complacency; the fire, enthusiasm and love that Christ expects were gone, they had got to the place where they thought that their godliness was proved by material gain (does this sound familiar!). The Lord Jesus lovingly tells them their real spiritual condition, '...you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.' 1Tim 6v5,6 compare Phil 1v21, 3v7, 2Cor 8v9, Col 1v7, 4v12, Rev 3v17. Jesus was standing and knocking, not at the hearts of sinners, but at the hearts of the saints. Jesus was firmly shut out of the lives that He had saved. They thanked Him for His love, but would not listen to His plans, His guidance, or His desire to use them to bless a needy world. This happens today in many modern Laodicean churches. Jesus still knocks upon the closed door of the heart of luke warm Christians, by the Scriptures, by the Holy Spirit, by the example of spiritual Christians, and sometimes by painful means such as sickness, bereavement and persecution. 1Cor 11v27-32, 2Kings 10v31,32, 2Chron 16v7-12 with 2Chron 15v1-8 and 1Kings 15v1-15.He chastens in this way, so that we might have our eyes turned from the transient riches of earth to the eternal riches of Heaven. John 17v24, Luke 22v30,Matt 19v28, 2Tim 2v12, 2Cor 4v17,18. Jesus commands them to repent, and replace their lukewarm service by zeal. Jesus reproves and chastens those who He loves, if we will not listen to His wise counsel we must be taught to do so by a chastening that must of necessity be painful. Heb 12v1-17, John 3v20, 16v8, Job 5v17, Prov 3v12. Jesus makes the most tremendous efforts to save us from such a dreadful fate, He stands and knocks at the door of the heart, urgently, plainly and persistently, with great condescension, forbearance and importunity, and for those who hear there is complete restoration, they sup with God. Luke 12v36,37. John 10v4,27, 14v23.They also have the glorious prospect of reigning with Christ, a glorious promise that shows how the grace of God can restore the backslider. Jesus says that they could still overcome and reign with Him. Yahweh Shalom...
    Do you think Jesus would be knocking on the door of believers hearts into which he had already entered in?
    "Therefore, brothers, make every effort to confirm your calling and election,
    because if you do these things you will never stumble.
    " (2 Peter 1:10)

    The apostles could have rejected the call by Jesus to follow him but their acceptance ensured their election according to God's foreknowledge. Notice the possibility of "stumbling" and the need to make an effort including repentance, belief, and confession. These are the things WE need to do. (Lk 13:5; Jn 3:16; Jn 1:11-12; Ro 10:9; Ro 10:13)

  20. #20
    Senior Member damombomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2011
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,844
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: What did Jesus mean when He said: "I stand at the door and knock...."

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNnice View Post
    What does Jesus mean by this Scripture in the gospels?

    "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Rev. 3:20

    This is talking about what?



    Does this have anything to do with, "You have not chosen Me, I have chosen you" Scripture ?

    Another example is when we get sick and tired of doing things our way and realise all the while it is the Lord we needed all along. Answering the door, only to find seeking him is what we were looking for all along. We will be
    miserable till we find him, and when we do praise the Lord, what a beautiful thing to know him and all his glory,
    nothing in this world compares to him

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "Kyrie, eleison" (or "Lord, have mercy") -- Marco Mamdouh
    By mariannemilad in forum Christian Music Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: February 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 6th, 2013, 09:36 PM
  5. Will Kinney: Are King James Bible believers "a Cult" or "Idolaters"?
    By ChosenbyHim in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM