Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 2066
Like Tree1535Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

  1. #1
    Senior Member just-me's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 4th, 2013
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,123
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Recently my wife was accused of belonging to a cult called the Hebrew Roots Movement. I didn't know what it was, so I went to this url: What is the Hebrew Roots movement?
    I am wanting input, for both my wife and I believe that the Mosaic Law was given to us as a tool by God himself and is still relevant today. This causes great division, but just because we believe in the Bible as a whole, has the falling away gotten to the point where we are rejecting in bitterness parts of the Word of God that we don't like or what?
    Karraster likes this.

  2. #2
    Account disabled by admin team
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2012
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,870
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Getting into the Hebrew understanding of the Bible is wonderful. I guess you could do it with some groups that are cults. Why not attend a Messianic Jewish assembly for a few weeks (many are online) and see what you think?
    secularhermit likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member crossnote's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2012
    Age
    65
    Posts
    9,923
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Saturate youself in the Book of Hebrews especially the section dealing with the change of priesthood and Levitical Law. Most Messianics just don't get it. Enjoy your visit but personally I wouldn't drop anchor there.
    Ritter, Abiding, zone and 7 others like this.
    IF YOU DIDN'T GET THE LEADER YOU VOTED FOR, THEN PRAY FOR THE LEADER YOU GOT.

  4. #4
    Senior Member enoch1nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Hebrew roots, the cult ones, are sons of the idea that they must identify themselves somehow as more "hebrew" than others to be candidates for being "sealed"
    Same exclusionism found with Jehovah's witnesses.
    That's what hebrew roots cultism all boils down to, showing off being special.

    I imagine there are plenty still that don't do it for that reason.

    As far as old testament goes, Jesus taught some guys on a long walk how everything in the old testament was about Him.
    I would imagine that a follower of Jesus would therefore ask Him to show the same things to the follower, and therefore read the old testament with enthusiasm and prayer for clarity. "All writings are good for reproof", that especially includes all of the modern "bible"

    We do have a tendency to pick and choose unfortunately.
    Abiding, Grandpa and just-me like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2010
    Age
    54
    Posts
    25,609
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Quote Originally Posted by just-me View Post
    Recently my wife was accused of belonging to a cult called the Hebrew Roots Movement. I didn't know what it was, so I went to this url: What is the Hebrew Roots movement?
    I am wanting input, for both my wife and I believe that the Mosaic Law was given to us as a tool by God himself and is still relevant today. This causes great division, but just because we believe in the Bible as a whole, has the falling away gotten to the point where we are rejecting in bitterness parts of the Word of God that we don't like or what?
    good resource (imo):

    SeekGod.ca - Hebrew Roots, Hebraic Roots, Messianic Movement < click

    scroll down to:

    Hebrew Roots FAQS & Myths

    see if it rings a bell.
    Abiding, just-us-2 and just-me like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member RedTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2011
    Age
    89
    Posts
    7,624
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    I have dug into this long and hard, because someone told me that by not understanding the OT, I was not knowing what God was about, for all those centuries up to Christ was building for Christ. When I looked into this it sent me to the Hebrew Roots movement, for this is what started the movement.

    First, I studied OT with a commentary in hand that said here is how it was told in those days, and then sent me to the NT and said here is how Christ fulfilled it. For instance, as I studied the sacrificial system.

    Next I was sent to Hebrews, to read it as the Jew it was written to who considered going back to life without Christ, not as a 2013 who was born again. It told me how Christ changed the world.

    My conclusion is that this rather new movement is from God. For about 2,000 years, God has led us to Him, as gentiles, although God wants us all to be one together not Jew and Gentile. Now, there has been changes in our world. The holocaust, the Jews returning to their land, the finding of the dead sea scrolls to open up understanding of ancient Hebrews, all of it is a sign of the change. To back this idea up I dug deep into history, especially the first 500 years of our gentile church to find the steps of how we got where we are in understanding. I read 1,000 years of reports on the councils of our church. It backs up how it seems to me.

    What I don't understand is the falling away from God so many of the Jews have done in these last years. History study has shown me that even those who reject Christ has led through their devotion to God. Most Jews who are returning to their land hasn't any understanding that God is sending them there, only the Christians know. I can understand, through the study of Romans, their being blinded to the messiah, but I don't see how this not including even God the Father in their life fits, but God sees.

    The world that God tells us about is solidly against this movement, saying these people don't believe in God but in works and lots of other things. I haven't found the list of their "sins" true of them when I look at them closely. The world stands solidly against anything of God. If it is God warning us about them, we should listen. If it is Satan, we shouldn't listen. But I think we should look for truth prayerfully. I have found truth in the movement and I have checked all the world says against them.

  7. #7
    Senior Member just-me's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 4th, 2013
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,123
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    AMEN REDTENT!!!
    Even though I don't belong to the Hebrew Roots Movement and just read about it this morning, I'll let everybody know exactly where I stand.

    We can deny the flesh but we can’t deny its existence;
    We can deny Satan but we can’t deny his influence;
    We can deny corruption but we can’t deny its existence;
    We can deny the carnal mind but we can’t deny its existence;
    We can deny the battle we all have within ourselves, but if we don’t fight it,.......
    we automatically are under the condemnation of the law because we cannot recognize the lust of the flesh.
    Romans chapter 7


    Matthew 5:17-20 (KJV)

    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

    John 5:43-47 (KJV)
    43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
    44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
    45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
    46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
    47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
    JaumeJ, Shilo and Karraster like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RachelBibleStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,007
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    the short answer is that there is just too much variation within the hebrew roots movement to label the entire thing as a cult...
    Rachel

    **i am no longer posting in threads that get longer than ten pages**

  9. #9
    Senior Member crossnote's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2012
    Age
    65
    Posts
    9,923
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Through your study of it don't let go of this and similar verses in Ephesians and Colossians.

    Ephesians 2:13-14 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

    I suppose I could start a Gentile Roots Movement whose roots go back to Adam-Seth-Enoch-Noah and to even Abram as well.
    Angela53510 and just-me like this.
    IF YOU DIDN'T GET THE LEADER YOU VOTED FOR, THEN PRAY FOR THE LEADER YOU GOT.

  10. #10
    Senior Member santuzza's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    I have experienced a bit of this movement as well, and for me it comes down to this: Those groups who tell you that you MUST follow the entirety of the OT Law (including all dietary laws) are in error. There is a lot of evidence in the NT that states that we are no longer under the Law.

    Other than that, I think it's a healthy movement -- we all need to know more about the Hebraic roots of Christianity.

  11. #11
    Senior Member RedTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2011
    Age
    89
    Posts
    7,624
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Quote Originally Posted by santuzza View Post
    I have experienced a bit of this movement as well, and for me it comes down to this: Those groups who tell you that you MUST follow the entirety of the OT Law (including all dietary laws) are in error. There is a lot of evidence in the NT that states that we are no longer under the Law.

    Other than that, I think it's a healthy movement -- we all need to know more about the Hebraic roots of Christianity.
    When I hear "we are no longer under the Law", it sort of hurts because it is true, but it is not true that we must not listen to the law, and said without anything else it sounds as if God is telling us not to listen. The law is love, the law is part of God. As Christians we are not under it for death because Christ died for us. But if you say it to mean that we must not listen to law, it is the same as telling people not to listen to God, even.

    If we make dietary laws necessary for salvation it would be a terrible thing to do, it would not be truth. They are not even necessary to walk with the Lord. But to say that people who use them as a path to a closer walk with the Lord are doing something wrong is not right, either. Those things are suggested by the Lord as a help for us. We can say no, Lord, we know to be clean in our walk we don't need the dietary laws. That is good. But to say that no one can use them for a closer walk is not right.

    We changed Passover to Easter, no one objects. God didn't tell us to do that. We added Christmas to celebrate Christ, and all say it is good and it may well be. But it is not biblical. Yet there is objection to biblical suggestions; that doesn't add up.

  12. #12
    Senior Member santuzza's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    RedTent, I didn't mean to imply that the Law is completely irrelevant. When Christ said that the two greatest commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor, Christ was reiterating the most important part of the Law. I do believe that people can find greater faith in following the dietary laws and such, but it crosses the line, IMHO, when those following the dietary laws tell me that I have no faith and no obedience and, in fact am actually sinning if I do not do likewise. And yes, I have had people tell me that.
    RedTent, just-me and Karraster like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member just-me's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 4th, 2013
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,123
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Quote Originally Posted by santuzza View Post
    RedTent, I didn't mean to imply that the Law is completely irrelevant. When Christ said that the two greatest commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor, Christ was reiterating the most important part of the Law. I do believe that people can find greater faith in following the dietary laws and such, but it crosses the line, IMHO, when those following the dietary laws tell me that I have no faith and no obedience and, in fact am actually sinning if I do not do likewise. And yes, I have had people tell me that.
    I like what you have said, and if I may I would like to draw attention to these laws that are taken out of context because we fail to understand the meaning Spiritually. For instance; There is a reason that the split hoof and cud chewing animals were determined as clean. The split hoof represents a human characteristic that helps us to understand that we are given the capability to walk in 2 different directions, entailing wrong and right according to the Word of God. Without this capability, we could never respond to the call to salvation and the Love of God through Christ Jesus. The other is the intake of the food that God provides, a substantial part being the law and digesting it so all the nutrition can be extracted from it. All of the physical law must be understood in a Spiritual format, if it isn't it leads to doubtful disputes that gender strife. Why so many self proclaiming Christians can't get it is beyond me. I give all readers this verse: Luke 24:44 (KJV)
    44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
    Last edited by just-me; June 14th, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Shilo, RedTent and Karraster like this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ChosenbyHim's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,875
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Quote Originally Posted by just-me View Post
    Recently my wife was accused of belonging to a cult called the Hebrew Roots Movement. I didn't know what it was, so I went to this url: What is the Hebrew Roots movement?
    I am wanting input, for both my wife and I believe that the Mosaic Law was given to us as a tool by God himself and is still relevant today. This causes great division, but just because we believe in the Bible as a whole, has the falling away gotten to the point where we are rejecting in bitterness parts of the Word of God that we don't like or what?
    The Hebrew Roots Movement is definitely a dangerous movement just as the Sacred name Movement.

    In the Hebrew Roots Movement, they teach that the New Testament was originally written in Hebrew which it was not. The New Testamnet was written in Koine Greek.

    The Hebrew Roots teachers also teach that in order to fully understand the Bible, that you must understand it from the Hebraic Mindset. Which again is not true. Many of the Hebrew Roots people also reject use of the Precious Name of "Jesus" and instead prefer to use YHWH or Yeshua. A lot of them also reject the use of the word "God."

    But rather use YHWH or Elohim.

    Angela53510 likes this.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    June 28th, 2013
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    In my ministry we say YHWH and Yahshua and have no ties to the Hebrew Roots Movement. YHWH was removed from the bible and replaced with the word LORD. I think of it this way Yahshua (Jesus) wasn't even in the first publishing of the King James Bible. Alot of bibles other than King James have noted in the preface that the Divine Name was replaced. Your wife is on the right track Yahshua was a Hebrew Man who came in the name of his father. You don't get that from Jesus. The letter J is not even 500 years old. Don't get me wrong the power in the blood of Chris is the same. YHWH understands this. i prefer calling him by the name he gave himself Exodus 3:14 .. also they actually have all of this in the bible for.dummies and the Torah for dummies ...quite interesting. Shalom (peace) and Yah Bless!!!
    Karraster likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2010
    Age
    54
    Posts
    25,609
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTent View Post
    The holocaust
    which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTent View Post
    the Jews returning to their land
    90% or more of people who identify as jews today NEVER resided in that land, their ancestors never resided there.
    they were NEVER in Covenant with God, since they were not Israelites.

    not to mention there's no Old Covenant for anyone to be in.

    not to mention Scripture doesn't foretell a return to Old Jerusalem.

    fables.

    planned over a very long time.

    and history...covered up for a very long time.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2010
    Age
    54
    Posts
    25,609
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Quote Originally Posted by santuzza View Post
    I have experienced a bit of this movement as well, and for me it comes down to this: Those groups who tell you that you MUST follow the entirety of the OT Law (including all dietary laws) are in error. There is a lot of evidence in the NT that states that we are no longer under the Law.

    Other than that, I think it's a healthy movement -- we all need to know more about the Hebraic roots of Christianity.
    but it never stays at that.
    it wasn't intended to.

    learn about the Hebraic Roots by reading the Bible.
    modern Judaism can't tell you anything about ancient Israel.

    HR is the Fourth of Four Waves, Four assaults on the Work of the Cross.
    Grandpa and psychomom like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member ChosenbyHim's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,875
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    Quote Originally Posted by just-me View Post
    Recently my wife was accused of belonging to a cult called the Hebrew Roots Movement. I didn't know what it was, so I went to this url: What is the Hebrew Roots movement?
    I am wanting input, for both my wife and I believe that the Mosaic Law was given to us as a tool by God himself and is still relevant today. This causes great division, but just because we believe in the Bible as a whole, has the falling away gotten to the point where we are rejecting in bitterness parts of the Word of God that we don't like or what?

    One more thing about the Hebrew Roots, a lot of the leaders of this movement such as Jim Staley and Michael Rood, they get a lot of their information from the zohar and the kabbalah which is basically Jewish New Age and Mysticism.

    They also teach that there is magic in the torah. Check out the article by clicking on the link below. This should help.


    Black Fire and White Fire
    Hebrew Institute of Riverdale Weekly Newsletter

    Also you can Check out this video exposing both the Hebrew Roots Movement and the Sacred Name Movement:

    zone, Angela53510 and maxwel like this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2012
    Age
    58
    Posts
    861
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    The short answer is yes it is a cult, trying to come into Christ Jesus' kingdom, through the back door through Judaism. Did not God say that He would have His Spirit write His Law upon your hearts? Someone in here has already suggested learning these things by reading His Word! None of the Word of God needs to be ignored, if you learn what it meant at the time it was written; and to whom and why it was written. But it takes time, and years, good luck in your studies!
    zone likes this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member just-me's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 4th, 2013
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,123
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Is the Hebrew Roots Movement a cult?

    In the course of understanding this movement further. I have found that there are many different ones, just like other religions. For instance there are protestant religions, and thousands of them. What I have found is that there are many different directions that this so called "Hebrew Roots Movement" is expanding to. Probably might need to check into the ones that deny Christ Jesus and stay away from them. What do ya think?
    Brighthouse and Shilo like this.

Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hebrew Roots movement
    By AnandaHya in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 17th, 2013, 03:09 AM
  2. Repost: beware of the Hebrew Roots Movement
    By hermanodaniel in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: July 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM
  3. Hebraic Roots Bible?
    By Graybeard in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 16th, 2013, 04:42 PM
  4. Baby sacrificed by cult and the cult members in Chile.
    By danschance in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
  5. The Roots of Amen
    By Muskokaman in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM