View Poll Results: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 4.17%
  • No

    23 95.83%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
Like Tree11Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Houly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    In Revelation 20, Satan is locked up immediately following Armageddon. He remains locked up throughout the thousand years, while the resurrected saints reign. After the thousand years, Satan is released for a short time to lead Gog/Magog against "the camp of God’s people, the city he loves."


    Those of you that consider the thousand years figurative for the past 2,000 years, do you also believe that Satan has been locked up all this time?




    And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time. (Revelation 20:1)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2013
    Age
    64
    Posts
    7,610
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Of course not. Most Bible prophecy has yet to be fulfilled.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2009
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,393
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    No, he isn't bound but is presently deceiving the world. "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Peter 5:8).
    His final defeat will be at the Second Coming of Christ so that he will be unable to deceive the nations at the thousand-year reign.
    Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
    Praise Him, all creatures here below;
    Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
    Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
    ~ Thomas Ken ~

    "But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased" (Psalm 115:3)

    "So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy" (Romans 9:16)




  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2013
    Age
    53
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    If you read any newspaper, you can surely see that Satan is having a field day.

    Satan is stuck on this earth. He can't leave. I don't think he can even go to the moon. I think he can only look at the moon.

    When Jesus returns with the Clouds,,,the living wicked (not wicked angels) will be killed by the brightness of His Coming.

    The Bible says that when Jesus appears,, that he will slay them. And the dead of the Lord will be from one end of the earth to the other,, with nobody left to bury them.

    During the 1000 years,, Satan and his angels will be the only beings alive on this entire planet.

    That is why the Bible says Satan is bound. He will have nobody to influence,,, all the wicked humans will be dead.

    After the 1000 years is finished,, the wicked are raised back to life. And Once again satan is loosed,, that is,, he now has sombody to influence again..The living wicked.

    Satan shall influence them to surround the Holy City Jerusalem. Then fire falls from heaven devouring them all and turning them to ashes.

    If you would like scripture to back these beliefs up.. I will surely provide it,, as you ask.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bookends's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,144
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael50 View Post
    If you read any newspaper, you can surely see that Satan is having a field day.

    Satan is stuck on this earth. He can't leave. I don't think he can even go to the moon. I think he can only look at the moon.

    When Jesus returns with the Clouds,,,the living wicked (not wicked angels) will be killed by the brightness of His Coming.

    The Bible says that when Jesus appears,, that he will slay them. And the dead of the Lord will be from one end of the earth to the other,, with nobody left to bury them.

    During the 1000 years,, Satan and his angels will be the only beings alive on this entire planet.

    That is why the Bible says Satan is bound. He will have nobody to influence,,, all the wicked humans will be dead.

    After the 1000 years is finished,, the wicked are raised back to life. And Once again satan is loosed,, that is,, he now has sombody to influence again..The living wicked.

    Satan shall influence them to surround the Holy City Jerusalem. Then fire falls from heaven devouring them all and turning them to ashes.

    If you would like scripture to back these beliefs up.. I will surely provide it,, as you ask.
    News paper eschatology, I just love it!
    Michael50 likes this.
    2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

    End Times According to the Bible

    "
    In bestowing grace, God never rescinds His claims upon us, but rather enables us to meet them. Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bookends's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,144
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Satan as been bound by the Cross, the victory has been won by Christ. Satan has been bound in the sense that He can't keep the gospel from going forth, his power greatly reduce, and reduce to nothing for the believer, resist the devil and he will flew from you...

    You can be bound to your house, and still move around in it.

    The final nail in the coffin will be our Lord's second coming when ALL who are in the graves will rise again, some to eternal condemnation, and some to eternal life.
    phil36 and ForthAngel like this.
    2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

    End Times According to the Bible

    "
    In bestowing grace, God never rescinds His claims upon us, but rather enables us to meet them. Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

  7. #7
    Senior Member Houly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by john832 View Post
    Of course not. Most Bible prophecy has yet to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by starfield View Post
    No, he isn't bound but is presently deceiving the world. "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Peter 5:8).
    His final defeat will be at the Second Coming of Christ so that he will be unable to deceive the nations at the thousand-year reign.
    I agree with you. But many Christians are a-millennialist, meaning they believe the "thousand years" is figurative for the past 2,000 years, and so they also believe that Satan has been locked up in the Abyss for all this time.

  8. #8
    transient
    Guest

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Just look around you... does it LOOK like satan has been locked up?
    sunnygurl likes this.

  9. #9
    nathan3
    Guest

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    I 'm not going to comment anymore. Im holding my peace. Other then read whats written in its entirety

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2013
    Age
    64
    Posts
    7,610
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bookends View Post
    Satan as been bound by the Cross, the victory has been won by Christ. Satan has been bound in the sense that He can't keep the gospel from going forth, his power greatly reduce, and reduce to nothing for the believer, resist the devil and he will flew from you...

    You can be bound to your house, and still move around in it.

    The final nail in the coffin will be our Lord's second coming when ALL who are in the graves will rise again, some to eternal condemnation, and some to eternal life.
    Are you sure of this?

    1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

    As Michael said, he is having a field day and will until the return of Christ and the fulfillment of the Day of Atonement...

    Lev 16:21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:
    Lev 16:22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

    Rev 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
    Rev 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    Rev 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2013
    Age
    64
    Posts
    7,610
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Houly View Post
    I agree with you. But many Christians are a-millennialist, meaning they believe the "thousand years" is figurative for the past 2,000 years, and so they also believe that Satan has been locked up in the Abyss for all this time.
    Yeah and he has no influence on the world...

    Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bookends's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,144
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    Just look around you... does it LOOK like satan has been locked up?
    Did Christ win the battle at the cross? Did Jesus conquer death? Will Hades prevail against the Church?
    Like I said, you can be housebound, but still move around. At Christ's second coming will Satan and all his followers be dealt with once and for all. And after then, he is not going to be set loose again to reek havoc upon man nor the earth again...1000 years is also to be take literally too, in the sense that it meant to be taken figuratively, "words are not univocal, they are equivocal" (CRI, Hank Hanegraaff), meaning they words take on the meaning the text allows them to have. In other words, recognize the genre in which Revelations is written in!
    2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

    End Times According to the Bible

    "
    In bestowing grace, God never rescinds His claims upon us, but rather enables us to meet them. Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2013
    Age
    64
    Posts
    7,610
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bookends View Post
    Did Christ win the battle at the cross? Did Jesus conquer death? Will Hades prevail against the Church?
    Like I said, you can be housebound, but still move around. At Christ's second coming will Satan and all his followers be dealt with once and for all. And after then, he is not going to be set loose again to reek havoc upon man nor the earth again...1000 years is also to be take literally too, in the sense that it meant to be taken figuratively, "words are not univocal, they are equivocal" (CRI, Hank Hanegraaff), meaning they words take on the meaning the text allows them to have. In other words, recognize the genre in which Revelations is written in!
    2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

    Luk 19:11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
    Luk 19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
    Luk 19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.

    P.S. The battle was not at the cross, it was the showdown in the desert...

    Luk 4:1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
    Luk 4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
    Luk 4:3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
    Luk 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
    Luk 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
    Luk 4:6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
    Luk 4:7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
    Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
    Luk 4:9 And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:
    Luk 4:10 For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:
    Luk 4:11 And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
    Luk 4:12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
    Luk 4:13 And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

    Notice the weapons Christ used? He fasted and quoted scripture.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Houly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    Just look around you... does it LOOK like satan has been locked up?
    No, it does not.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bookends's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,144
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by john832 View Post
    As Michael said, he is having a field day and will until the return of Christ and the fulfillment of the Day of Atonement...
    And the fulfillment of the day of Atonement wasn't Christ crucified?
    2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

    End Times According to the Bible

    "
    In bestowing grace, God never rescinds His claims upon us, but rather enables us to meet them. Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bookends's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,144
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    Just look around you... does it LOOK like satan has been locked up?
    Compare today to the days of the 1st century Christians, and prior to Christ's death and resurrection.
    2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

    End Times According to the Bible

    "
    In bestowing grace, God never rescinds His claims upon us, but rather enables us to meet them. Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

  17. #17
    Senior Member Bookends's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,144
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by john832 View Post
    2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
    Don't forget the verse before this, 3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, Paul is simply stating that those who are perishing are blinded by Satan and by their unbelief, but by no means will this god of the world blind those who receive the light of Christ. Satan is not prohibiting this light from shining. Read the rest of the passage:

    Cast Down but Unconquered

    7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. 8 We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed10 always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. 11 For we who live are always delivered to death for Jesus’ sake, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 12 So then death is working in us, but life in you.

    13 And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, “I believed and therefore I spoke,”[a] we also believe and therefore speak, 14 knowing that He who raised up the Lord Jesus will also raise us up with Jesus, and will present us with you. 15 For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.
    Seeing the Invisible

    16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

    Do you get it? Stop looking at it through your physical eyes, but open up your spiritual eyes.
    2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

    End Times According to the Bible

    "
    In bestowing grace, God never rescinds His claims upon us, but rather enables us to meet them. Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

  18. #18
    Senior Member Bookends's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,144
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by john832 View Post
    P.S. The battle was not at the cross, it was the showdown in the desert...
    Really? so the death and resurrection of Christ isn't Christ's victory over is and death? That show down in the desert was a victory Christ had over the temptations and wiles of the devil, to show us how Jesus Christ is the substance that fulfilled the anti-type, which was the ancient nation of Israel. While Israel couldn't withstand temptations of sin/Satan in their 40 year sojourn in the desert, Christ can and did.


    Quote Originally Posted by john832 View Post
    Notice the weapons Christ used? He fasted and quoted scripture.
    Anyone can quote scripture, the question is this, "can you quote scripture correctly/rightly and not out of error/context."
    Radius likes this.
    2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

    End Times According to the Bible

    "
    In bestowing grace, God never rescinds His claims upon us, but rather enables us to meet them. Was the prodigal son, after his penitential return and forgiveness, less obliged to conform to the laws of his Father’s house than before he left it? No indeed, but more so." A.W. Pink

  19. #19
    Senior Member Elizabeth619's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,628
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by john832 View Post
    Yeah and he has no influence on the world...

    Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
    I don't know a single amillennialist that says satan has no influence on the world today. It's obvious many don't understand this particular belief which is why people disagree with it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2013
    Age
    64
    Posts
    7,610
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Do you think Satan has been locked up for the past 2,000 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth619 View Post
    I don't know a single amillennialist that says satan has no influence on the world today. It's obvious many don't understand this particular belief which is why people disagree with it.
    You apparently didn't recognize the sarcasm.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Locked & Loaded?
    By JimJimmers in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 06:34 AM
  2. SATAN TAMPERS WITH OUR SALVATION/Satan's lies exposed
    By thefightinglamb in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: November 17th, 2013, 07:41 AM
  3. Foot locked
    By isaria in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 26th, 2013, 07:03 AM
  4. Locked Up
    By Stargazing_Pilgrim in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
  5. Are the souls are locked?
    By jash in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: July 19th, 2011, 08:05 AM