Battling with Temptation
by, October 26th, 2014 at 09:50 AM (642 Views)
Temptation comes to us at unexpected times and unexpected places. And we are not always able to get away from it. Temptation is not something new to us. It is a common experience that we face daily. No one is exempted and can escape from temptation.So what should we do then? How do avoid in giving in to temptation?
1. Recognize the ubiquitousness of Temptation
1 Corinthians 10:13New International Version (NIV)
13 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
Temptation is a common experience that we face each daily. No one is excepted and can escape from temptation, Our Lord Jesus Christ was also tempted. Remember, Jesus was tempted in the wilderness after Christ had fasted for forty days and forty nights and was hungry.
Matthew 4:3King James Version (KJV)
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
2. The Dangers of Sins
- We ought to remember that sin has always consequences.
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.
- To be tempted is not sin but yielding to temptation is sin. If we give into temptation, they become sin. But if we resist, God is glorified and we will grow in faith and maturity.
1 Timothy 6:9
9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
- We aren't strong enough to resist temptation on our own. We need God's help to fight the battle of temptation. When you see temptation arriving, immediately reach out God.
- Our sins cannot be hidden from God. God sees and knows them all. When we yield to sin, we are rejecting God's authority as God and remove ourselves from His protection.
- As Christians, we ought to know how to respond before temptation comes knocking at us. Quoting memory verses is a good weapon against temptation. God's word is indeed powerful against the devil's schemes. God's word also gives us wisdom and serves as a guide when we face trials and tribulations.
3. We need to be accountable for our fellow believers
16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Having an accountable partner is very important. We need someone to tell about our sins and failures to another christian and become accountable to them about our particular weakness. It is also important that to only confide in someone who is trustworthy, patient, mature and wise. And most importantly the person must know God's word.