Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By Acr96
  • 2 Post By HisHolly
  • 4 Post By resurrection33
  • 2 Post By Depleted
  • 1 Post By EmilyNats
  • 1 Post By PrynceNY
  • 1 Post By SunsSunny
  • 1 Post By AnnieH
  • 1 Post By Demi777
  • 1 Post By Socreta93
  • 1 Post By Corbinscam

Christian Family Forum

Discuss family topics/issues, and give and receive encouragement here.

Thread: Temptations

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2015
    Posts
    99
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Temptations

    So I have been having this temptation toward someone I attend church with. I have read in Corithians 10:13 about how God will make a way out of so you won't be tempted above what you can bear. Well I have also read and thought about how it is a sin to even put yourself in the way of something or someone that is tempting. I have thought and prayed about leaving my church because of it. I don't want to and have prayed for God to send me signs and feel he has. However I am confused if my signs are from him or not. I know he won't go against his word but can I be delivered of this temptations so its longer a sin or conviction to attend my church?
    HisHolly likes this.

  2. #2
    HisHolly
    Guest

    Default Re: Temptations

    Temptations come from the enemy. If you leave your church, you'll have them at another. You have to make up in your mind that what God wants is above anything here... Also asking for signs is tricky bc the enemy is in the natural world and obviously hears you too.. Bible says cast down imaginations.. it really can be daunting, but it's up to you to do it... Been here too, know from experience...
    blue_ladybug and Demi777 like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member resurrection33's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    26,921
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Temptations

    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    So I have been having this temptation toward someone I attend church with. I have read in Corithians 10:13 about how God will make a way out of so you won't be tempted above what you can bear. Well I have also read and thought about how it is a sin to even put yourself in the way of something or someone that is tempting. I have thought and prayed about leaving my church because of it. I don't want to and have prayed for God to send me signs and feel he has. However I am confused if my signs are from him or not. I know he won't go against his word but can I be delivered of this temptations so its longer a sin or conviction to attend my church?
    Most certainly you need to resist temptation. I don’t think it is necessary to leave your church, though. I wonder about the fellow who is tempting you. Is he trying to tempt you? I’d be very careful around him.
    _________________
    __________________________

    Pray constantly. 1 Thess 5:17 RSV

  4. #4
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    14,623
    Rep Power
    211

    Default Re: Temptations

    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    So I have been having this temptation toward someone I attend church with. I have read in Corithians 10:13 about how God will make a way out of so you won't be tempted above what you can bear. Well I have also read and thought about how it is a sin to even put yourself in the way of something or someone that is tempting. I have thought and prayed about leaving my church because of it. I don't want to and have prayed for God to send me signs and feel he has. However I am confused if my signs are from him or not. I know he won't go against his word but can I be delivered of this temptations so its longer a sin or conviction to attend my church?
    What's your plan? Are you going to tell him you want to have sex with him, so let's go jump in his car? Would you do that?

    Assuming not, the easy way to avoid it is to not act on it. Why would you change churches to avoid something that isn't in your personality in the first place? And why do you need a sign from God? You already know he doesn't want you to act on it.

    Temptation is throughout our lives. Jesus was tempted, but you think God is going to take it from you? You don't need a sign. Take God at his word.
    Tintin and Demi777 like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2015
    Posts
    99
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Temptations

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    Most certainly you need to resist temptation. I don’t think it is necessary to leave your church, though. I wonder about the fellow who is tempting you. Is he trying to tempt you? I’d be very careful around him.
    The bigger problem is it's not a man I am tempted by. I fear these thoughts I am having because I refuse to allow the enemy to make me believe this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member EmilyNats's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2016
    Age
    17
    Posts
    827
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Temptations

    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    The bigger problem is it's not a man I am tempted by. I fear these thoughts I am having because I refuse to allow the enemy to make me believe this.
    You still did not answer whether or not this person knows they are tempting you. If they are doing intentionally, then the procedure for resisting that temptation might be different.
    HisHolly likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member PrynceNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,837
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Temptations

    James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

    The Lord wants us to resist temptations & to have self discipline. If you set in your mind you will resist the urges & the Lord will help you overcome it, it will build your faith
    Demi777 likes this.
    Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and turn to God, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    30
    Posts
    131
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Temptations

    I think the answer is to cultivate your relationship with God. When your lusts drag you to be tempted by your own thoughts, you are not taking control of your mind but being carnal. it is difficult to think straight in these instances and necessary to just flee.

    But when you have time, seek God in the quietness of our heart in prayer. Tune out every other noise, do not be distracted and seek your Heavenly Father's face. The more you pray to him in silence, and enter the secret place of prayer, the bridal chamber of The Lord, the more you will know the Lord.

    in 2 peter, he greets them saying may grace and peace be MULTIPLIED to you IN the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ our Lord. As we seek Him and know Him more, we will abound in grace and peace and set aside our carnality. When you stop viewing God as this far away distant figure but as your Near and Dear Lover, and begin to cherish the love he has for you, you will stop sinning because you love Him. Seek the Lord in prayer , talk with Him, choose him over tv and Facebook and your friends, and you will be sooooooooo satisfied!

    God bless you and lavish you with the riches of his love!
    ThirstyForTruth likes this.

  9. #9
    Member AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2014
    Age
    30
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Temptations

    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    The bigger problem is it's not a man I am tempted by. I fear these thoughts I am having because I refuse to allow the enemy to make me believe this.
    You're right to fear thoughts of any kind of temptation. Believe you are being tempted. Give in only to the Lord.
    Demi777 likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Demi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2014
    Age
    17
    Posts
    4,536
    Blog Entries
    45
    Rep Power
    105

    Default Re: Temptations

    ...would you please clarify a bit more what is going on? Your not really saying a lot..is he/she following u around or somthin??

    Leaving church should only be the option when the church itself is against God. Not when you got a crush on someone. It is in the end natural.
    Jesus was tempted and I can verily say, you will not be free from temptation. Jesus was tempted, paul was,..everyone gets tempted.. plus u forgot to read the rest of the verse too.
    13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

    Endurance and persevearance...
    Now another thing that kinda pops into my mind when thinking about your tempation... We humans r set up to find a mate..Do you wanna stay single all your life? Im a little confused.. please clarify a lil


    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    So I have been having this temptation toward someone I attend church with. I have read in Corithians 10:13 about how God will make a way out of so you won't be tempted above what you can bear. Well I have also read and thought about how it is a sin to even put yourself in the way of something or someone that is tempting. I have thought and prayed about leaving my church because of it. I don't want to and have prayed for God to send me signs and feel he has. However I am confused if my signs are from him or not. I know he won't go against his word but can I be delivered of this temptations so its longer a sin or conviction to attend my church?
    HisHolly likes this.
    God bless you
    ~*~Demi777 ~*~

    My Testimony:
    http://christianchat.com/testimonies...shortened.html

  11. #11
    Senior Member Socreta93's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2015
    Age
    23
    Posts
    969
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Temptations

    My best advice is to talk to someone in your church you know you can really trust to help you through this. This is the enemy doing this to you, and the fact that you considered leaving your church (though I assume you mean switching) means it's working and you have to be stronger than this.
    AnnieH likes this.
    “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.”
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow



    "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." - Leo Buscaglia

  12. #12
    Senior Member Corbinscam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2016
    Age
    16
    Posts
    373
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Temptations

    Leaving church or blaming it on the other person seems radical to me. But maybe I'm off The absolute most amazing thing that ever happened to me was realizing that I, through the power and grace of God, could take all my thoughts captive. And control them. I owned them and I've been able to effectively control them. Being purposefully tempted is difficult but it's our world. That really doesn't mean we have to allow the temptation to control us.
    AnnieH likes this.
    How Thou canst think so well of us, Yet be the God Thou art,
    Is darkness to my intellect, But sunshine to my heart.

    Fredrick W Faber

  13. #13
    Senior Member DiscipleDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,307
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Temptations

    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    So I have been having this temptation toward someone I attend church with. I have read in Corithians 10:13 about how God will make a way out of so you won't be tempted above what you can bear. Well I have also read and thought about how it is a sin to even put yourself in the way of something or someone that is tempting. I have thought and prayed about leaving my church because of it. I don't want to and have prayed for God to send me signs and feel he has. However I am confused if my signs are from him or not. I know he won't go against his word but can I be delivered of this temptations so its longer a sin or conviction to attend my church?
    First off, are you married? Secondly, what are you being tempted to do?

    You say it is a sin to attend your church, how so? Just because a person is tempted to commit sin, is not a sin. Jesus was tempted to commit sins when the devil came to Him and tempted Him. It is only when you comply with the temptation that it becomes sinful. Now lusting is a different story. if you are lusting after someone in your Church that can indeed be sinful.

    ^i^

    ††† In His Holy and Precious Name, Jesus Christ †††

    DiscipleDave

    When you do it to the least of these, you do it to Jesus


    Email me

    website

  14. #14
    NewWine
    Guest

    Default Re: Temptations

    2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
    Tells us we have a sound mind. You're not weak or too soft.

    Galations 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
    Tells us that through the Holy Spirit we have self control to not act on our sinful nature.

    Try to walk in the gifts God gives us, and focus on Christ, and through the Holy Spirit you can learn how to use self control over your feelings in this situation. It's tough sometimes, but through the Holy Spirit you can do this.
    Peace!!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2015
    Posts
    99
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Temptations

    No I am not married. I am engaged. I just fear because of the lust of the eye that the lord would want me to flee the temptation. I would never act on anything and I understand being tempted isn't a sin but lusting is.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dan58's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2013
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,521
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Temptations

    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    The bigger problem is it's not a man I am tempted by
    Quote Originally Posted by Acr96 View Post
    No I am not married. I am engaged. I just fear because of the lust of the eye that the lord would want me to flee the temptation.
    So your tempted by a woman? How can you be engaged and yet lust for a woman? Are you bisexual? Sounds like a bizarre situation.

Similar Threads

  1. Battling Temptations
    By JesusFreek in forum Christian Teens Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM
  2. Sexual temptations
    By Pushedtothemax in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 1st, 2014, 02:09 PM
  3. TEMPTATIONS AND TESTS
    By Staystrong in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 29th, 2013, 08:10 PM
  4. The Two Temptations
    By GaryMac in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
  5. Temptations
    By RubberDuckie in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM