Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 399
Like Tree502Likes

Christian Family Forum

Discuss family topics/issues, and give and receive encouragement here.

Thread: The Lakewood Church

  1. #41
    Senior Member sevenseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    851
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by PrynceNY View Post
    Joel Osteen - "Get your best life now"

    John MacArthur - "The only way you're living your best life now is if you're going to hell."


    oh my

    now see, MacArthur has been called out for calling anyone who speaks in tongues as demonic and going to hell

    so, I am left wondering just who he thinks will actually not go to hell?

    maybe those who trust in Jesus and believe in Him will be saved

  2. #42
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    98

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
    You're not hurting?
    It seems to be very important for you to put down the leader of the largest Christian church in America and you claim you are not Christian.
    It seems your battle is against Christians and Christianity and you are using words the best way you can to tell us all how horrible Joel Osteen is and how horrible his church is.
    How does this affect you?
    It obviously hurts you in some way that people in this world like Joel Osteen and like Lakewood church and you don't.
    You claim they are so bad but you don't even go there or get involved first hand with what they do there.
    How do you know it's so bad?
    By what you see on a Larry King you tube video?
    If you're so close to his church, why don't you go there to a Sunday morning service and see first hand what goes on.
    And Joel says he's always available after the service to shake hands with newcomers and say hello..
    Then you can see for yourself if he's really the big bad ogre you make him out to be.
    Always available to direct you to the wonderful resources available in CD's and books written and on sale for a reasonable price.

    This is group teaches community ism and not the gospel of Jesus Christ. At the root of it all is the self help and God wants you to be happy theology. It is simply an adaptation of the social gospel that has ruined the modern denominational churches. The do good and God will receive you teaching of the blood of Christ is too awful to be accepted by the modern progressive thinkers of today.

    2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Stephen63, Mooky and Infusion like this.
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  3. #43
    Senior Member AllenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseas View Post
    Heresy is any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs or customs. A heretic is a proponent of such claims or beliefs.[1] Heresy is distinct from both apostasy, which is the explicit renunciation of one's religion, principles or cause,[2] and blasphemy, which is an impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.[3]
    The term is usually used to refer to violations of important religious teachings, but is used also of views strongly opposed to any generally accepted ideas.[4] It is used in particular in reference to Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.[5]


    after reading around the forums, I'm pretty sure it's run over with heretics and I might be one


    and hello to everyone
    Hi, didn't notice you were new here.
    I still feel like I am new here.
    sevenseas likes this.
    I'm a man of many avatars.
    And that's not all.

  4. #44
    Senior Member sevenseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    851
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
    Hi, didn't notice you were new here.
    I still feel like I am new here.


    Hey back

    Almost a year for you

    Just getting broken in, right? Forums can be like that.

  5. #45
    Senior Member AllenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Always available to direct you to the wonderful resources available in CD's and books written and on sale for a reasonable price.

    This is group teaches community ism and not the gospel of Jesus Christ. At the root of it all is the self help and God wants you to be happy theology. It is simply an adaptation of the social gospel that has ruined the modern denominational churches. The do good and God will receive you teaching of the blood of Christ is too awful to be accepted by the modern progressive thinkers of today.

    2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Sorry Roger, but I don't understand your post or the point you are trying to make.
    If you are talking either the pros or cons of the Lakewood church here, I don't get it.
    FranC likes this.
    I'm a man of many avatars.
    And that's not all.

  6. #46
    Senior Member AllenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseas View Post
    Hey back

    Almost a year for you

    Just getting broken in, right? Forums can be like that.
    Yeah, things move very fast here.
    Very fast.
    Over night you can have 10 pages of reading to catch up on a thread.
    Some topics are hot, and lots of people to write about them.
    sevenseas likes this.
    I'm a man of many avatars.
    And that's not all.

  7. #47
    Senior Member PrynceNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,802
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseas View Post
    oh my now see, MacArthur has been called out for calling anyone who speaks in tongues as demonic and going to hell so, I am left wondering just who he thinks will actually not go to hell? maybe those who trust in Jesus and believe in Him will be saved
    Well he said on interviews Jesus was the only way. i dont have to much insight on his tongues comment. However Joel Osteen is regularly ashamed when being asked questions about gods word. Not to mention idk what kind of christian promotes "Your best life now"
    sevenseas likes this.
    Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and turn to God, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

  8. #48
    Senior Member AllenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by PrynceNY View Post
    Well he said on interviews Jesus was the only way. i dont have to much insight on his tongues comment. However Joel Osteen is regularly ashamed when being asked questions about gods word. Not to mention idk what kind of christian promotes "Your best life now"
    That's interesting.
    And what do you have to say about the Lakewood church?
    I'm a man of many avatars.
    And that's not all.

  9. #49
    Senior Member PrynceNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,802
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
    That's interesting. And what do you have to say about the Lakewood church?
    Not in to prosperity preaching. personally prefer the pure word of God. I Don't recall sin, punishment of sin, hell, repentance was ever preached there. I tend to stay far away from pastors who tickle peoples ears.
    Stephen63, Mooky and JosephsDreams like this.
    Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and turn to God, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    18,674
    Rep Power
    186

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    What some people fail to grasp is that "our best life now" is exactly what Jesus said, in many places, that He came to introduce us to......... "Exceedingly above and more abundantly than anything we can imagine" is the life He brought to us here and now.

    Too many people dig in their heels, and insist that they are meant to suffer and live a miserable existence here until, FINALLY, one day they will be transported to Kolob, or whatever other planet they think they will be housed on. And they are determined to try and see that everyone else is just as miserable as they have decided to be.

    I don't think this is "The Joy of The Lord" the Bible speaks of.
    AllenW and joaniemarie like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  11. #51
    Senior Member AllenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by PrynceNY View Post
    Not in to prosperity preaching. personally prefer the pure word of God. I Don't recall sin, punishment of sin, hell, repentance was ever preached there. I tend to stay far away from pastors who tickle peoples ears.
    May I ask who you listen to to receive the pure Word of God?
    FranC likes this.
    I'm a man of many avatars.
    And that's not all.

  12. #52
    Senior Member PrynceNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,802
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
    May I ask who you listen to to receive the pure Word of God?
    Charles Lawson & Carter Conlon are among my favorites as well as Paul Washer
    Mooky likes this.
    Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and turn to God, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

  13. #53
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    98

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    What some people fail to grasp is that "our best life now" is exactly what Jesus said, in many places, that He came to introduce us to......... "Exceedingly above and more abundantly than anything we can imagine" is the life He brought to us here and now.

    Too many people dig in their heels, and insist that they are meant to suffer and live a miserable existence here until, FINALLY, one day they will be transported to Kolob, or whatever other planet they think they will be housed on. And they are determined to try and see that everyone else is just as miserable as they have decided to be.

    I don't think this is "The Joy of The Lord" the Bible speaks of.
    Sure thing...not.

    Joh 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

    1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

    Our hope and our joy is not here but in eternity with Christ.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Mooky likes this.
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    18,674
    Rep Power
    186

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Sure thing...not.

    Joh 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

    1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

    Our hope and our joy is not here but in eternity with Christ.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Don't you even read what you post? That is speaking of right now...... not after you have suffered enough to be deemed worthy enough to finally die.
    FranC likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  15. #55
    Senior Member sevenseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    851
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by PrynceNY View Post
    Well he said on interviews Jesus was the only way. i dont have to much insight on his tongues comment. However Joel Osteen is regularly ashamed when being asked questions about gods word. Not to mention idk what kind of christian promotes "Your best life now"


    I think MacArthur says some very good things but his stand on tongues is very divisive to say the least. I know alot of people like him and he is a good speaker, but he really went too far with that remark I'm thinking.

    I don't know if Joel Osteen is ashamed or not. How do you figure if he is ashamed if he stands up every Sunday and talks about salvation?

    I don't understand that.

    As far as having a best life now, isn't that what Christians are having or should be having? That does not mean no trials or hardships either. I don't have the collective works of Osteen, so I don't know.

  16. #56
    Senior Member JosephsDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,346
    Rep Power
    36

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by PrynceNY View Post
    Charles Lawson & Carter Conlon are among my favorites as well as Paul Washer
    I like PW myself.
    Mooky and PrynceNY like this.
    Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    John 8:32

    And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    1 Cor. 13:13


    Give ​peas a chance !



  17. #57
    Senior Member PrynceNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,802
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseas View Post
    I think MacArthur says some very good things but his stand on tongues is very divisive to say the least. I know alot of people like him and he is a good speaker, but he really went too far with that remark I'm thinking. I don't know if Joel Osteen is ashamed or not. How do you figure if he is ashamed if he stands up every Sunday and talks about salvation? I don't understand that. As far as having a best life now, isn't that what Christians are having or should be having? That does not mean no trials or hardships either. I don't have the collective works of Osteen, so I don't know.
    It's easy for any pastor to stand before people & preach a feel good message. Idk how many interviews I've seen when he's ask basic questions they would cover in sunday school & he says "ehhh yea I don't like talking about that stuff. When asked about other religions instead of proclaiming Chrst is the only way he says "ehhh I don't want to condemn anyone" He has homosexuals at his church & doesn't teach them to repent & turn from that lifestyle.

    The scriptures is not all about cute & cuddly feel good messages. It also tells about judgement in which everyone will face. Judgement makes Joel uncomfortable. Talking about sin makes him uncomfortable. People in Jesus day thought he was a harsh speaker, Jesus wasn't concerned about tickling peoples ears only telling the truth.
    Last edited by PrynceNY; February 17th, 2017 at 02:46 PM.
    Stephen63, Mooky and sevenseas like this.
    Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and turn to God, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

  18. #58
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    98

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Don't you even read what you post? That is speaking of right now...... not after you have suffered enough to be deemed worthy enough to finally die.
    You have been drinking the new age kool-aid again.

    Joh 4:32 But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.

    It's not speaking of joy resulting from earthly pleasures. Which is what the feel good gospel is all about. Have you ever been reproached for the name of Christ?

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Mooky likes this.
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Grace777x70's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,909
    Rep Power
    196

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    So, those that have spoken against Osteen - that means you have been to his services many times and first hand have heard him say all these things. For example - it's ok to live the homosexual lifestyle?

    I hope us "good Christians" know that lying, malice and slander are just as much a work of the flesh as living the homosexual lifestyle is.
    Willie-T, AllenW, FranC and 2 others like this.
    The new man in Christ - the new creation that is created in righteousness and

    holiness hears the heart voice of the Spirit and not an old head noise of the letter

    of the word. The Pharisees knew "bible knowledge" but they did not

    know God's heart and so they erred in really understanding what the

    scriptures were saying.


    The Lord wants us to look through His eyes and to live from His heart towards

    people, towards Him and towards ourselves as well.

  20. #60
    Senior Member PrynceNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,802
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: The Lakewood Church

    Quote Originally Posted by Grace777x70 View Post
    So, those that have spoken against Osteen - that means you have been to his services many times and first hand have heard him say all these things. For example - it's ok to live the homosexual lifestyle? I hope us "good Christians" know that lying, malice and slander are just as much a work of the flesh as living the homosexual lifestyle is.
    No one said he said it's ok to live that lifestyle however he's not telling them to turn from it.
    Stephen63 likes this.
    Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and turn to God, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 27th, 2015, 05:31 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 4th, 2014, 03:23 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
  4. Lakewood Church, Houston, Texas
    By Peacefulcrusader in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM