Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96
Like Tree391Likes

Christian Family Forum

Discuss family topics/issues, and give and receive encouragement here.

Thread: how do you handle grief?

  1. #1
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    135

    Default how do you handle grief?

    are there things that help you cope? the great obvious, the Bible, prayer, spend time at Christ's feet.

    but take a walk? smile at children playing? what makes you feel a little better, and what (other than time) diminishes the grief?

    please share your suggestions, if you will.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,716
    Rep Power
    89

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    My youngest sister passed away June 19, 2009. She was 27, and it was sudden. I know the death of loved ones is never easy, but it seems like it is more of a punch to the gut if it is sudden and unexpected. The main thing that helped me after she passed away was knowing that SHE isn't dead. As a matter of fact, she is more alive than I am! For a long time, I talked to her (not praying, just talking to her). I know that we are separated for a time, but will be reunited. Eternity is longer than earthly life. Sometimes, I tell people that we did not lose her, because we know where she is. I can not imagine what it is like to mourn a person who is unsaved. That would be almost unbearable.

    One of the things that helped me cope right after her death were hymns, and reading the stories behind hymns. Many were born out of grief. Another thing that helped my mother and me that first Christmas was Operation Christmas Child. We had zero desire to celebrate, but it was lots of fun buying things and packing shoe boxes.

    I would say that one of the biggest things that gives me comfort is there were no hard feelings between us, the night before she died we were joking around. That means something to me, and I hate to hear about people who are estranged from family members, because I believe they will regret it if their family members die before things can be put right.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Desertsrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,216
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    are there things that help you cope? the great obvious, the Bible, prayer, spend time at Christ's feet.but take a walk? smile at children playing? what makes you feel a little better, and what (other than time) diminishes the grief?please share your suggestions, if you will.
    Hi notmyown,I don't think I can offer any one thing in particular. It was time mostly. Carrying on with life and allowing God's comfort and presence to guide me - to continue on after a period of grief.

    Now I smile when I think of those who have died in the Lord. A song may cause me to think of them, a book title, something I have that was theirs, hearing a teaching from a radio paster they use to listen to, steeping into B&N where we use to share a cappuccino or a frappe stuff like that.

    And for those who died without the Lord, I carry on with hope that they might have cried out in the last moments of life and been saved right before they passed.

    He has told you, O man, what is good;

    And what does the Lord require of you
    But to do justice, to love kindness,
    And to walk humbly with your God?
    Micah 6:8




  4. #4
    Senior Member renewed_hope's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2016
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    I know, when I am grieving, I immediately deny what happened, then when reality sets in I shut down and go into my room and cry. I know depending on the situation I have blamed God for them, but I am just hurting. After a couple days, I bury myself in work and chores once again denying what happened and I shut down again. I do this for about six months and slowly have to incorporate returning to normal.

    I love you Ellie
    I choose to honor God by inspiring people. How do you honor him?........

  5. #5
    Senior Member Corbinscam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2016
    Age
    16
    Posts
    423
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    For a chunk of time I assumed that ignoring it was the way to go.....then I realized how dumb that was because it was there and wasn't going away.

    Now, I just let myself remember. One of the best things about life is still being able to remember even if we can't keep someone or something alive. I could sort of go on forever so I'll stop and just say that lol.
    “To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul’s paradox of love.”
    A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

  6. #6
    Senior Member HoneyDew's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,465
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    My very best friend on earth of 30 years, died suddenly a year ago this week. It has been hard for me. What has helped me is time and talking to the Lord. I don't know what else to say as I still miss her. We prayed together, cried together laughed and did ministry together. She was the one to help me with my walk when I became a new Christian.

    I even started to call her once then quickly remembered that I couldn't.

    She was a great friend to me and I am thankful to God that He gave me such a friend. I don't believe that their is a time limit on grief. I still shed a tear when I think of her. What has made me smile through it all is that she LOVED the Lord and lived for Him and I believe that she is with Him rejoicing.

    Yeah this is tough.....as I've said I talk to God about how I am feeling and that has helped me ALOT.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yahweh_is_gracious's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2016
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,387
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    49

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    I don't think I've ever felt grief.
    wwjd_kilden and notmyown like this.
    Some days, I feel like removing the SIM from my phone, breaking it in pieces, tossing the phone in a wood chipper, grabbing my bug-out bag, leave everyone without saying a word, and just going ghost for the rest of my life.

    "People are always angry at anyone who chooses very individual standards for his life; because of the extraordinary treatment which that man grants to himself, they feel degraded, like ordinary beings."
    - Nietzsche

  8. #8
    Senior Member resurrection33's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,329
    Rep Power
    107

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    are there things that help you cope? the great obvious, the Bible, prayer, spend time at Christ's feet.

    but take a walk? smile at children playing? what makes you feel a little better, and what (other than time) diminishes the grief?

    please share your suggestions, if you will.
    I think there are two things that have gotten me through the lonely moments of my life - the Lord and my church.
    _________________
    __________________________

    Pray constantly. 1 Thess 5:17 RSV

  9. #9
    Senior Member LittleBit1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2014
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,718
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    73

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    It doesn't go away... it may get easier at times... but the pain is there, always will be...

    Going through old photos helped me... and seeing my loved ones in my dreams.

    certain songs... but over all... grief doesn't go away. It's a constant pain... but it eases from time to time.
    #FaithIsLikeAFireThatNeverBurnsToEmbers

    #skillet-TheResistance

  10. #10
    Senior Member resurrection33's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,329
    Rep Power
    107

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBit1987 View Post
    It doesn't go away... it may get easier at times... but the pain is there, always will be...

    Going through old photos helped me... and seeing my loved ones in my dreams.

    certain songs... but over all... grief doesn't go away. It's a constant pain... but it eases from time to time.
    My saddest time was when my dad died, but it didn't take long before he became a pleasant memory. What helps is understanding that I will see him again.
    _________________
    __________________________

    Pray constantly. 1 Thess 5:17 RSV

  11. #11
    Member DarkRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2017
    Age
    30
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    When my husband was in the military, he lost a good friend of his, someone he'd known for a long time. They were very close and it was hard to watch him try and cope with that loss. He withdrew for a while and became distant. I gave him space, but still made myself available to him. Eventually, he started to talk about it and you could almost see the light come back into his eyes. He still misses his friend, everyday, so that feeling of loss is still there, but he says remembering the good times they had goes a long way in coping with the grief. And...just...remembering to live (as he puts it).

  12. #12
    Senior Member WineRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2017
    Age
    15
    Posts
    1,857
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    I have never really experienced grief before, but it still sucks because I know it will come and get me at some point. I just don't try to think about it too much, but I will most likely be like a frantic flailing fish on land when grief finally knocks on my door.
    longtrekker, notmyown and Galatea like this.
    Wizard of the holy teriyaki sauce.

    "Thou shalt not troll on thy forum, lest ye shall be condemned."
    - WineRose

    Click here to see the cheesiest testimony in the world (I am not responsible for any cheese-induced heart attacks if you decide to click this):

    http://christianchat.com/testimonies/146690-finally-i-make-new-thread.htm

  13. #13
    Senior Member Tinuviel's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2015
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,237
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    51

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    In my life, I have never been touched with a great grief that was mine alone. For me, a huge way to work through my own grief was to reach out to others who were also grieving. It helped me in my own grief to know I was easing theirs.
    Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
    ~James 1:17

  14. #14
    Senior Member Corbinscam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2016
    Age
    16
    Posts
    423
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    My saddest time was when my dad died, but it didn't take long before he became a pleasant memory. What helps is understanding that I will see him again.
    I'd agree with this. My grandpa was the only real dad I've ever known. When he died I stayed pretty lost. Until I let God teach me that this life isn't the end. Between that and memories it's not always so bad. But I'm sure I'll miss him till I die.

  15. #15
    Senior Member TemporaryCircumstances's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2016
    Age
    15
    Posts
    4,546
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    For my friend that committed suicide my counselor on her b-day had me get a balloon, write a note to her and send it off and watch it float away.

    It was full of tears and I wanted to just cry for years but it's a good way to realise that stuff
    God Bless,
    Natania ♡
    Your Frog President
    #froglivesmatter
    #greenlivesmatter
    http://christianchat.com/miscellaneo...-election.html

  16. #16
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahweh_is_gracious View Post
    I don't think I've ever felt grief.
    wow, really? a sense of loss, not necessarily from a death, but that causes you distress?

    i'm not challenging your statement as though i know you, truly. it's just kinda amazing, and i appreciate you took the time to post this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinscam View Post
    For a chunk of time I assumed that ignoring it was the way to go.....then I realized how dumb that was because it was there and wasn't going away.

    Now, I just let myself remember. One of the best things about life is still being able to remember even if we can't keep someone or something alive. I could sort of go on forever so I'll stop and just say that lol.
    are you sure you're only 16? (quick, check your birth certificate! lol)

    i wish i had had your attitude when i was forty-six.
    i'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather.
    Jessie_1 likes this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyDew View Post
    My very best friend on earth of 30 years, died suddenly a year ago this week. It has been hard for me. What has helped me is time and talking to the Lord. I don't know what else to say as I still miss her. We prayed together, cried together laughed and did ministry together. She was the one to help me with my walk when I became a new Christian.

    I even started to call her once then quickly remembered that I couldn't.

    She was a great friend to me and I am thankful to God that He gave me such a friend. I don't believe that their is a time limit on grief. I still shed a tear when I think of her. What has made me smile through it all is that she LOVED the Lord and lived for Him and I believe that she is with Him rejoicing.

    Yeah this is tough.....as I've said I talk to God about how I am feeling and that has helped me ALOT.

    thank you. i got excited to share something with her, and called mom last week and totally forgot till i got the robot saying the number had been disconnected. you're not alone in that.

  19. #19
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post
    When my husband was in the military, he lost a good friend of his, someone he'd known for a long time. They were very close and it was hard to watch him try and cope with that loss. He withdrew for a while and became distant. I gave him space, but still made myself available to him. Eventually, he started to talk about it and you could almost see the light come back into his eyes. He still misses his friend, everyday, so that feeling of loss is still there, but he says remembering the good times they had goes a long way in coping with the grief. And...just...remembering to live (as he puts it).

    i think at times (probably most of the time) it's harder to watch someone you love suffer than it is to suffer yourself. sounds like you did really well!

    my husband tried to tell me this when our first child was born, and how very annoying it was to discover he was right.



  20. #20
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: how do you handle grief?

    Quote Originally Posted by TemporaryCircumstances View Post
    For my friend that committed suicide my counselor on her b-day had me get a balloon, write a note to her and send it off and watch it float away.

    It was full of tears and I wanted to just cry for years but it's a good way to realise that stuff
    my nieces did that when their little brother died. did it help?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. grief
    By lostt in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 27th, 2016, 10:40 PM
  2. grief
    By MrsRobinson in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 12th, 2015, 10:34 PM
  3. My Grief
    By Dely in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 17th, 2015, 12:06 PM
  4. Grief
    By sidekick in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 7th, 2013, 10:04 PM
  5. ~ Grief ~
    By timothy10 in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM