Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree44Likes

Christian Family Forum

Discuss family topics/issues, and give and receive encouragement here.

Thread: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    June 14th, 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    My Girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years we live together and look after her two younger brothers. I recently had a very powerful experience and now have given my life to Jesus and have been set free from the bondage of sin. We have stopped having an intimate relationship and will wait until marriage. However we still sleep in the same bed, I have been making lots of progress with my relationship with God, I no longer do alot of things I would do in the past and with constant prayer and searching for flaws I have been making progress. However as of recently God has been silent, I no longer feel or hear from him. I am starting to think that it might have to do with the fact I am sleeping in the same bed as my girlfriend.

    The situation we are in is difficult because we have been living together for 4 years and been having pre marital sex (not being christian) however since my experience our lives have drastically changed and I am trying to lead a new life. Jesus has made me so much of a new person that my partner at first mourned for me because I changed so drastically and she was scared.

    We also have to look after her brothers and I couldn't just leave her there alone to look after them. Should I have a look at sleep on a smaller bed in the same room but not in the same bed. Please, I have looked at scripture and cant find anything about not being able to live together but just to abstain from sexual immorality and if nothing is happening then is it still not OK. I am prepared to leave if I must, because my obedience to God is first above all, If it is wrong I will be prepared to leave until we marry.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    19,068
    Rep Power
    164

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    It is not right to live together. Even if you aren't having sex it is a situation that will make it appear that you are.
    Also it increases the temptation to have sex.

    I would not encourage you to make any decisions yet, but there may even come a time when you may have to break up. It's never wise to be in a relationship with a non-Christian. And if things have drastically changed between you it may lead to pressure or temptation to go back.
    There are a host of other issues as well, but I won't get into it all now.
    But, ultimately, I would encourage you to move out. Living together is living together. Being in separate beds doesn't change it. In fact, in the US, a few decades ago, it was common for married couples to sleep in separate beds.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    19,068
    Rep Power
    164

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Also, it's great to hear of your finding God and that He has so drastically changed you for the better. Angels rejoiced that day. (=
    Angela53510, Miri, Mooky and 3 others like this.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  4. #4
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,834
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    215

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Why not make plans to get married?

    I think as well that the definition of marriage can sometimes be a bit wrong.

    What is real marriage, it's two people coming together in binding agreement before God.

    Then there is legal marriage before man which is recognised in the west and means
    signing something.

    Other cultures have different definitions of marriage in their culture.

    The bottom line is marriege usually involves some sort of formal binding
    recognisable commitment.

    Is your girlfriend a Christian?

    For now until you figure all this out maybe you need to have separate rooms.
    Personally I don't think you need to live apart given that you are already
    a family unit. Just figure it out and take steps to make sure you are married.
    If cost is an issue it needn't be, you don't have to have all the frills and trimmings
    to get married.
    Mooky, JGIG, kaylagrl and 1 others like this.
    He is God and we are not.


    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    Miri, for being Mary Poppins. (inside joke, but no, really! she's kind and no nonsense!)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tinkerbell725's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2014
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,030
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    89

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    If everybody is doing it, it would seem normal and ok but living together is living in sin or exposing yourselves into temptation to sin. Sex is for marriage only.
    "Only a person who risks is free"

    "Honor God, eat, play, laugh"

  6. #6
    Senior Member zeroturbulence's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2009
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,560
    Blog Entries
    20
    Rep Power
    173

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    You've been together for 4 years... get married already. If one of you is waiting until you can afford a big fancy wedding, you can do that later on while renewing your vows.
    My dad was the greatest dad I could have ever asked for. Thank you, Dad..

    "If you talk about scripture more than you talk about God, then you've missed the point".
    - A Retired Minister

    ‚Äč
    Quote Originally Posted by loverofjesus27 View Post
    Who owns this site? Why is it bad to have fun?? And where is Harpy Eagle ??



  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,185
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    You are correct there is no scripture against living with eachother or simply sleeping in the same bed. However it would be ideal for you two to be married in that situation. Otherwise your just opening the door for temptations to come in. Getting a separate bed is a solution, if you plan to marry her she should understand it's only temporary until then. I hope she has accepted the lord in her life as well.
    SAS and Zi like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,370
    Blog Entries
    53
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Hellos Joshie - You said, "I have been making lots of progress..." and understandably you probably meant with God obviously. But what may not be obvious is the fact, as a new baby Christian (where we all start from) you are in need of death on a cross AS NOW LIFE FOR YOU IS IN THE REDEMPTIVE-LIFE, (Thus, He will make progress, in you as you intentionally do His will according and in His power." your new man, your new creation, made into your life as Christ in you thru the Holy Spirit. Thus, now as God speaks thru your enlivened spirit you must intuitively now listen as He leads. That is where we must face who is speaking to us. Satan will speak in the mind, God speaks thru your spirit first and then develops the mind after.

    It sounds like you are hearing a voice, now test the spirits and follow immediately anything the Lord is investing in you as goodness over wrongness.

    We know Redemption is absolutely finished and complete, but its reference to individual men is a question of their individual action. God needs to employ your will now, to act according to His will. The whole human race is condemned to salvation (meaning anything outside of Christ is dead, and all that is in Christ is life-bearing (even correction, and rebuke)) by the Cross of our Lord.

    Understand God nowhere holds a man responsible for having the heredity of Sin; the condemnation begins when a man sees and understands that God can deliver him from the heredity of Sin and he refuses to let Him do it; at that moment he begins to get the seal of damnation. (John 3:19) is the final word on condemnation - "This is the judgement," i.e., the critical moment, "that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil.

    You need not worry IF God will speak to you, for He will. But we must first seek Him with all of our heart and mind and body as well. We must now as new creations follow Him onward and upwards always in our new spiritual life over our flesh. You are trying to communicate with God and you show worry. Don't be! Just trust He will be there as you enter your prayer room, and He will come. There are times He may be still, but I have noted He usually will do that in a mature Christian, to forge their character is all. It sounds to me as if God is speaking to you intuitively thru your spirit. The formula to that is act upon it immediately, and then your worship will not be blocked.I will pray for you in this, and May God Bless you both in Jesus Name! It was nice too meet you, my name is Dan.

    Last edited by slave; August 31st, 2017 at 07:32 AM.

  9. #9


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,146
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Tough spot to be in..

    I'd say pray a lot and do what you think is right.
    God knows where you are. I pray she sees your change as good and follows. If it please God that you marry, I hope you do.. moving is expensive and there are obviously other factors to consider so I'll pray for ya.

    US customs or any other mentioned shouldn't have been mentioned unless they were founded on the word of God. They're just irrelevant if not..
    ,

  10. #10
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    57,569
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    323

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    No living together and having premarital sex is not okay. Move out of the bedroom, heck move out of the house entirely.. Sleeping in the same bed WILL lead to you having sex again sooner or later..


    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post

    I love "Orange Tabbies" , God created the world and then, "Orange Tabbies" .....

    Go to my profile Blog tab to read my testimonies.






  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 30th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Being a christian is a wonderful experience, and I giuess you've already found that out. I noticed you didn't mention your girlfriend as saved. That's a problem. The Bible says we not supposed to be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

    Then I noticed you said your girlfriend is scared of the change you've had. I have to agree with the others you need to leave the house and distance yourself a little bit. You might have a wake up yourseld and realize you don't really feel the same way about her.

    No matter what, keep following the Lord, for your salvation is your highest priority.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    308

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshie View Post
    My Girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years we live together and look after her two younger brothers. I recently had a very powerful experience and now have given my life to Jesus and have been set free from the bondage of sin. We have stopped having an intimate relationship and will wait until marriage. However we still sleep in the same bed, I have been making lots of progress with my relationship with God, I no longer do alot of things I would do in the past and with constant prayer and searching for flaws I have been making progress. However as of recently God has been silent, I no longer feel or hear from him. I am starting to think that it might have to do with the fact I am sleeping in the same bed as my girlfriend.

    The situation we are in is difficult because we have been living together for 4 years and been having pre marital sex (not being christian) however since my experience our lives have drastically changed and I am trying to lead a new life. Jesus has made me so much of a new person that my partner at first mourned for me because I changed so drastically and she was scared.

    We also have to look after her brothers and I couldn't just leave her there alone to look after them. Should I have a look at sleep on a smaller bed in the same room but not in the same bed. Please, I have looked at scripture and cant find anything about not being able to live together but just to abstain from sexual immorality and if nothing is happening then is it still not OK. I am prepared to leave if I must, because my obedience to God is first above all, If it is wrong I will be prepared to leave until we marry.
    I'm going to blunt here.

    First, I'm old! (Too blunt? Sorry about that. lol)

    I have never understood why people "live together." If you like the person enough to shack up, why don't you like her enough to marry her?

    Is she the one? The one you want to spend the rest of your life with? (Way too late to worry about her not being a believer.) If she is, marry her. If she isn't, leave and don't look back on the relationship.

    I know. "We also have to look after her brothers." I did read that part, but if that's your only commitment to her, it's not going to work out anyway. You can always send money to help them, and spend time with them at your new home. But as it stands now, since sex is off the table, (and rightly so, although living together is the same commitment as having sex), resentment will build more and more the longer this takes.

    So, either marry her or get out.

    Oh, and don't say you can't afford to get married. You can afford a new bed, so you can afford to get married. If you want, do the legal marriage first, and then save up for the celebration with family and friends.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  13. #13
    Senior Member MultilingualMessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2015
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,463
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    I'm gonna have to agree with the others here. You gotta stop playing house. Make it real or make your exit.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2017
    Age
    66
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    i'd say, in asking this question, you have answered it for yourself. what ever you decide,, god's blessings on you.
    SAS and blue_ladybug like this.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    June 14th, 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Hellos Joshie - You said, "I have been making lots of progress..." and understandably you probably meant with God obviously. But what may not be obvious is the fact, as a new baby Christian (where we all start from) you are in need of death on a cross AS NOW LIFE FOR YOU IS IN THE REDEMPTIVE-LIFE, (Thus, He will make progress, in you as you intentionally do His will according and in His power." your new man, your new creation, made into your life as Christ in you thru the Holy Spirit. Thus, now as God speaks thru your enlivened spirit you must intuitively now listen as He leads. That is where we must face who is speaking to us. Satan will speak in the mind, God speaks thru your spirit first and then develops the mind after.

    It sounds like you are hearing a voice, now test the spirits and follow immediately anything the Lord is investing in you as goodness over wrongness.

    We know Redemption is absolutely finished and complete, but its reference to individual men is a question of their individual action. God needs to employ your will now, to act according to His will. The whole human race is condemned to salvation (meaning anything outside of Christ is dead, and all that is in Christ is life-bearing (even correction, and rebuke)) by the Cross of our Lord.

    Understand God nowhere holds a man responsible for having the heredity of Sin; the condemnation begins when a man sees and understands that God can deliver him from the heredity of Sin and he refuses to let Him do it; at that moment he begins to get the seal of damnation. (John 3:19) is the final word on condemnation - "This is the judgement," i.e., the critical moment, "that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil.

    You need not worry IF God will speak to you, for He will. But we must first seek Him with all of our heart and mind and body as well. We must now as new creations follow Him onward and upwards always in our new spiritual life over our flesh. You are trying to communicate with God and you show worry. Don't be! Just trust He will be there as you enter your prayer room, and He will come. There are times He may be still, but I have noted He usually will do that in a mature Christian, to forge their character is all. It sounds to me as if God is speaking to you intuitively thru your spirit. The formula to that is act upon it immediately, and then your worship will not be blocked.I will pray for you in this, and May God Bless you both in Jesus Name! It was nice too meet you, my name is Dan.

    Thankyou for your Words Dan, For this message came from Love and Holy Spirit for it bare good fruit. This was building up and spoke to me, I thank you because this speaks to my situation and helps me in multiple worries. God chose me I wasn't ready and he doesn't choose us when we are ready but I could not be more thankful for leading me to calling upon Jesus name and believing in his salvation, I have been listening to the conviction that the Holy Spirit was bringing into my life and the more I dropped the fleshly desires some I didnt even know were bad then the more the Lord revealed himself to me and could feel him. Almost like small pats on the back to let me know im headed in the right direction. So now that I have silence it has been making me worry, I know i still have big decisions ahead but I trust in the Lord and what he is trying to show me, I guess I have big choices ahead of me. Thanks again Dan and just know that if your wondering about you following the Holy Spirit and Listening, let this be conformation because It has spoken to me in many ways.

    God Bless

    Thank you everyone for taking your time to message me. I appreciate it and God bless you all.
    Angela53510, Miri, SAS and 4 others like this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,019
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Have you considered the option of marrying immediately and thereby solving the moral issue.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2013
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    43

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Do not share a bed with her if you two are not married. It can be hard to find a place to live overnight, and you say you want to help care for her brothers. Has she been married before (or is she married?) If she is a Christian, and she's available for marriage (biblically) you could ask her father for her hand, if he is still alive. But you say you are taking care of her brothers, so I do not know if that is the case.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2017
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshie View Post
    My Girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years we live together and look after her two younger brothers. I recently had a very powerful experience and now have given my life to Jesus and have been set free from the bondage of sin. We have stopped having an intimate relationship and will wait until marriage. However we still sleep in the same bed, I have been making lots of progress with my relationship with God, I no longer do alot of things I would do in the past and with constant prayer and searching for flaws I have been making progress. However as of recently God has been silent, I no longer feel or hear from him. I am starting to think that it might have to do with the fact I am sleeping in the same bed as my girlfriend.

    The situation we are in is difficult because we have been living together for 4 years and been having pre marital sex (not being christian) however since my experience our lives have drastically changed and I am trying to lead a new life. Jesus has made me so much of a new person that my partner at first mourned for me because I changed so drastically and she was scared.

    We also have to look after her brothers and I couldn't just leave her there alone to look after them. Should I have a look at sleep on a smaller bed in the same room but not in the same bed. Please, I have looked at scripture and cant find anything about not being able to live together but just to abstain from sexual immorality and if nothing is happening then is it still not OK. I am prepared to leave if I must, because my obedience to God is first above all, If it is wrong I will be prepared to leave until we marry.
    Maybe it's best not to ask these questions, and just let your God guide your conscience.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Definition of marriage is no more the same as biblical days. You guys love each other. Why would you not get married? If you don't believe in the concept of marriage(law of the land) then that's another thing.
    If you love each other and commited to the relation then why not. Since you feel guilty not being married then for goodness get married. Your problem solved!

  20. #20
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    57,569
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    323

    Default Re: Is it OK for my Girlfriend and I to live together.

    Problem NOT solved. She isn't a Christian. She has no remorse for her sexual past. HE can't get over the fact that she had sex with another guy, before he even entered his life.. Marriage would be a train wreck for these guys.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pencildot View Post
    Definition of marriage is no more the same as biblical days. You guys love each other. Why would you not get married? If you don't believe in the concept of marriage(law of the land) then that's another thing.
    If you love each other and commited to the relation then why not. Since you feel guilty not being married then for goodness get married. Your problem solved!


    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post

    I love "Orange Tabbies" , God created the world and then, "Orange Tabbies" .....

    Go to my profile Blog tab to read my testimonies.






Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: September 14th, 2017, 05:45 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 12th, 2015, 09:54 PM
  3. If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live?
    By zeroturbulence in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: September 12th, 2014, 08:02 PM
  4. Replies: 72
    Last Post: December 10th, 2013, 04:23 AM
  5. Same Sex Marriage Doesn't Lead To Live And Let Live
    By 1still_waters in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: September 29th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Tags for this Thread