Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree31Likes
  • 2 Post By jb1023
  • 1 Post By Blain
  • 3 Post By Ugly
  • 4 Post By EarnestQ
  • 7 Post By tourist
  • 1 Post By Enow
  • 4 Post By notuptome
  • 3 Post By Depleted
  • 2 Post By jb1023
  • 3 Post By Angela53510
  • 1 Post By jb1023

Christian Family Forum

Discuss family topics/issues, and give and receive encouragement here.

Thread: How to lead my sister to Christ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2016
    Age
    43
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default How to lead my sister to Christ?

    I am a new Christian so my knowledge is still in fledgling state. My sister and I were talking and she wants to be a Christian but is struggling with believing. She is having a hard time with the typical questions, why so much pain if there is a GOD, science (evolution and such).

    I know what I believe but I can't speak authoritatively on the subject yet so hoping somebody might point me to a book, other than the Bible, or video that I can give her to help. My guess/hope is a scholarly type person might be able to give her enough answers that she will then be comfortable with moving forward. I thought about showing her this site but with all the infighting I don't think that would be very helpful just yet.

    GOD bless!

    P.S. If this should be in a different forum please let me know.
    Blain and Yeraza_Bats like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    13,354
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    178

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Hi Jb The questions she is asking are some of the most common questions asked by non believers and even believers, in fact some of the most dedicated and most experienced Christians ask God these questions and even sometimes have doubt. I was actually thinking about a topic like this on my walk this morning and was talking to God about free will and about Satan, I mean God is all knowing right? and yet when he made Satan he made surely he knew how things were going to turn out right? that then made me begin to question everything about God's plan especially if he is all knowing and yet when he made Satan all this still happened.

    But then the scripture Isaiah 55:8 came to mind "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

    And then an analogy was placed in my mind, My understanding compared to his can be likened to an untaught 4 year old compared to a 50 year old Scholar in several degrees the difference in understanding is huuuuge. See we humans tend to try to reason with logic which isn't bad but if we try to understand try to use logic with matters that in all honesty our tiny minds simply cannot even begin to grasp like understanding then it creates doubt skepticism and makes clouds our openness to him.

    My advice for your sister is to not concern herself with these kind of questions for now because for her these things are meat and she needs milk, remember that wisdom and understanding both come in time and the answers to these questions will be revealed to her in time however if she wants to be a Christian that is a clear calling from God and so I would advise her to simply seek him out any way she can. For some it takes a drastic change like for me I wanted to be a
    Christian but I never could make that connection with him even though I wanted it so bad but deep down I knew that the reason was because I wasn't willing to give up my video game addiction my video games were far more important to me than he was and it wasn't until I was ready to trash every video game I had just to have him in my heart that suddenly that connection burst into me.

    But a lot of times it isn't that drastic most of the time it's simply a matter of seeking him out, if I were able to speak with her I would love help her and to council her but tell her for me to just seek him out start talking to him and pray to him seek to get to know him and to make an actual bond and relationship with him. This is not always easy at first of course when I started praying it felt awkward like I was talking to thin air so I decide to write my thoughts and prayers to him in a journal since I have always seemed to be able to speak my heart easier in written form. I spoke to him all my thoughts all my doubts all my worries and fears I spoke to him about my feelings and my hopes I just poured every thought and every feeling into that journal and the more I did this the closer I felt to him and soon enough I just couldn't stop talking to him and our bond become so strong just from our conversations.

    Prayer is not just folding our hands and asking him for things it is supposed be like two best friends talking to each other, he wants us to think of him as our own personal diary and wants us to come to him for anything at all and believe me when I say how his heart leaps with joy just from hearing from us
    jb1023 likes this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,770
    Rep Power
    149

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Also know that believing in God Requires some faith. We never get All of our questions answered. Nor did God intend to.
    That's not to say it's bad to ask questions and learn. But rather that there will come a point when you have to set aside needing answers and jist trust.
    Blain, jb1023 and Rosemaryx like this.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  4. #4
    Senior Member EarnestQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2016
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,468
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    One of the best ways to testify to the reality of Christ is to seek to love Him as much as you can and to allow Him to change your life as much as possible.

    A person can argue about all the proofs and theories there are, but no one can argue with a changed life.

    Love Jesus as best as you can and share that love to the world around you.

    You might also consider reading the book, "The Case for Christ" or watch the movie of the same name.
    Blain, jb1023, BillG and 1 others like this.
    The best way to help others understand and experience God's love better is to understand and experience it better yourself.

    Understanding and experiencing God's love better everyday is the most important task for anyone who considers him/herself to be a Christian.


    Love without truth is deception. Truth without love is arrogance. God's love and God's truth balanced is God's wisdom.

    The more one promotes himself and/or his ideas, the less he cares about eternal life for others.

  5. #5
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,667
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    270

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    The best way to lead your sister to Christ is to lead by example on how you conduct your life.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2012
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,156
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jb1023 View Post
    I am a new Christian so my knowledge is still in fledgling state. My sister and I were talking and she wants to be a Christian but is struggling with believing. She is having a hard time with the typical questions, why so much pain if there is a GOD, science (evolution and such).
    Best not to get too bogged down with all that evolution stuff. Just inform her the general contention that is now present in the evolution theory.

    Stephen Jay Gould had proposed Punctuated Equilibrium or Rapid Macroevolution because there was too huge a gap in the fossil records for gradual macroevolution to be true. That means for all this time they said the evolution theory is true, and based on facts and evidence for gradual macroevolution, it was all speculation and a lie for saying it is true. Now some evolutionists are saying both are true; forgetting why Rapid Macroevolution was proposed in the first place.

    They use to say that birds evolved from the dinosaurs but now a recent report says that dinosaurs evolved from birds. Again, I say to you it is mere speculation. Nothing in the evolution theory as far as macro evolution, can be proven.

    It is a false science. To try to understand it by going into it deeper is like following the white rabbit down the rabbit hole.

    The day it is a fact is the day we know the mechanism for macro evolution and we are macro evolving ourselves, but that will never happen. Paul warned of false knowledge or false science that turn away from the truths in His words.

    1 Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

    I know what I believe but I can't speak authoritatively on the subject yet so hoping somebody might point me to a book, other than the Bible, or video that I can give her to help. My guess/hope is a scholarly type person might be able to give her enough answers that she will then be comfortable with moving forward. I thought about showing her this site but with all the infighting I don't think that would be very helpful just yet.

    GOD bless!

    P.S. If this should be in a different forum please let me know.
    Ask Jesus Christ for help in sharing with your sister why you believe in Him.

    1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

    Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

    Do remember that Paul was not a person that spoke well. Even he relied on the Lord for Him to speak through him.

    1 Corinthians 2:4And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

    And you can pray with her in her asking God the Father to reveal His Son to her so she can believe in Him to be saved. Just lead her to ask Him for help to believe in Him in the face of doubts put forth by the world.

    Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

    Mark 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

    John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.....36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
    jb1023 likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,516
    Rep Power
    122

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Share with her what Jesus has done for you. Tell her how Jesus took your sins and gave you eternal life.

    Encourage her to read the Gospel of John and the epistle to the Romans.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Enow, Pilkington, jb1023 and 1 others like this.
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,267
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    263

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jb1023 View Post
    I am a new Christian so my knowledge is still in fledgling state. My sister and I were talking and she wants to be a Christian but is struggling with believing. She is having a hard time with the typical questions, why so much pain if there is a GOD, science (evolution and such).

    I know what I believe but I can't speak authoritatively on the subject yet so hoping somebody might point me to a book, other than the Bible, or video that I can give her to help. My guess/hope is a scholarly type person might be able to give her enough answers that she will then be comfortable with moving forward. I thought about showing her this site but with all the infighting I don't think that would be very helpful just yet.

    GOD bless!

    P.S. If this should be in a different forum please let me know.
    If she's interested, this is easy. All I did was tell God that I wanted him to be as real to me as the actor playing Jesus on stage. He did. And he did it overnight -- literally.

    The harder part is figuring out the rest of it afterward -- like all the questions she's asking you now. But, hey! Being saved is easy. It's all in God's control. If she's asking, he already plans on saving her.

    John 6:35-40English Standard Version (ESV)

    35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

    This is exciting! The two of you can grow in the Lord together!
    Blain, jb1023 and sheba001 like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2016
    Age
    43
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    You might also consider reading the book, "The Case for Christ" or watch the movie of the same name.
    I have the book but have not read it but I did watch the movie I will be watching the other movies in the series as well. I will have to invite her over to watch it as she does not have a Pureflix subscription and I don't think it is on Netflix or Amazon. Great suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enow View Post
    Best not to get too bogged down with all that evolution stuff. Just inform her the general contention that is now present in the evolution theory.

    Stephen Jay Gould had proposed Punctuated Equilibrium or Rapid Macroevolution because there was too huge a gap in the fossil records for gradual macroevolution to be true. That means for all this time they said the evolution theory is true, and based on facts and evidence for gradual macroevolution, it was all speculation and a lie for saying it is true. Now some evolutionists are saying both are true; forgetting why Rapid Macroevolution was proposed in the first place.

    They use to say that birds evolved from the dinosaurs but now a recent report says that dinosaurs evolved from birds. Again, I say to you it is mere speculation. Nothing in the evolution theory as far as macro evolution, can be proven.

    It is a false science. To try to understand it by going into it deeper is like following the white rabbit down the rabbit hole.

    1 Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.
    I have not kept up with the theory of evolution since the early '90's HS biology class. Had no idea Darwin's successors were in such disarray these days. Such a shame. Sounds like this other junk science theory that is having a hard time right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Encourage her to read the Gospel of John and the epistle to the Romans.
    This was actually one of the things I was thinking of, just was not sure which of the gospels to have her start with. I've only read Mark and am reading Romans now. My 1yr reading plan does not get to any NT books till day 149 I think and I am at day 67.
    Angela53510 and Enow like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Angela53510's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2011
    Age
    63
    Posts
    8,872
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    258

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Evidence that demands a Verdict? Josh MacDowell

    The Case for Christ? Lee Strobel?

    Is God Just a Human Invention? And 17 Other Questions.. Sean McDowell and Jonathon Morrow (This one has a lot of scientific evidence for special creation!)

    And then, the Bible! Get her a modern version of the Bible. NIV, ESV, HCSB, or NET would be good. Show her how to start in John. Then the other gospels and the New Testament.

    And, good advice for you! Read the Bible! God will teach you, and give you the words to say to her.

    Did I mention pray for her? That is so important! God already knows, but, you can pray for God to bring people, books, nature, etc, etc into her life, to convict her and show her God is real.
    Enow, EarnestQ and jb1023 like this.
    "And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." 2 Cor. 12:9 NASB

  11. #11
    MrChris
    Guest

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jb1023 View Post
    I am a new Christian so my knowledge is still in fledgling state. My sister and I were talking and she wants to be a Christian but is struggling with believing. She is having a hard time with the typical questions, why so much pain if there is a GOD, science (evolution and such).

    I know what I believe but I can't speak authoritatively on the subject yet so hoping somebody might point me to a book, other than the Bible, or video that I can give her to help. My guess/hope is a scholarly type person might be able to give her enough answers that she will then be comfortable with moving forward. I thought about showing her this site but with all the infighting I don't think that would be very helpful just yet.

    GOD bless!

    P.S. If this should be in a different forum please let me know.
    Lead by example.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2016
    Age
    43
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    So I watched Case for Faith. Wow, this one really addresses some of her questions. I think I am going to invite her over to watch both movies or ask her to sign up on Pureflix. I'm also reading Why Believe The Bible? by John MacAruthur, the 2015 re-release of his 1980 book. I will be giving this to her once I am done as well.
    EarnestQ likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Yeraza_Bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2014
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,375
    Rep Power
    97

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Ive found that reading or watching testimonies of former atheists, especially those in high positions in like science or whatever, are really helpful for these issues. They can really help people understand how to think about these things in a clear way, like the idea that all life just randomly mutated to better and more advanced beings on its own with absolutely no guidance.

    Its always good to learn what the opposition is saying, and really think about and question what they are saying. Definitely take time to learn from people more knowledgeable than you, who actually understand the issue being discussed. You can learn alot from them. Id recommend looking up people from this life, who know the questions and have come to the right conclusion.
    I am a strong supporter of followers of Christ who struggle with the lbgt lifestyle. If you are struggling in faith with this like I do, feel free to contact me for support, encouragement or even for a friend. Or to give me your much needed support and encouragement as well

    Do not follow your heart, but guard it.
    (Proverbs 4:23)


    Who is the liar? It is he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. It is the antichrist that denies the Father and the Son.
    1 John 2:22



  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2017
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    What I have found that works best for me is to just have a loving and accepting attitude, be willing to talk and answer questions, and keep the door open for communication.

    It is important to know and understand the Scriptures for salvation, but everyone has to work out their own salvation and comes to terms with God and their faith for themselves. Don't worry if it takes a while. God is in control and His timing is perfect.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: How to lead my sister to Christ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enow View Post
    Best not to get too bogged down with all that evolution stuff. Just inform her the general contention that is now present in the evolution theory.

    Stephen Jay Gould had proposed Punctuated Equilibrium or Rapid Macroevolution because there was too huge a gap in the fossil records for gradual macroevolution to be true.
    That's not true what-so-ever. Gould's theory of punctuated equilibrium still states that evolution happens over hundreds of thousands of years. He in no way doubted the validity of evolution, he simply doubted that it was as gradual as initially believed.

    Your understanding of the theory of evolution is woefully incorrect. That's not to say evolution is true, but if you can't understand evolution then stick strictly to the fact that it contradicts the Bible and reject the notion of evolution based off faith. Trying to reason evolution away when you don't understand is dishonest, even if unintentionally so.

Similar Threads

  1. Law was to lead us to Christ.
    By gotime in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: October 7th, 2015, 10:53 AM
  2. How can I lead others to Christ?
    By CEF in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 23rd, 2014, 08:14 PM
  3. What lead you to Christ Jesus?
    By AnandaHya in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 31st, 2012, 06:34 AM
  4. No man Lead me to Christ.
    By Ramon in forum Testimonies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM