Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 146
Like Tree166Likes

Christian Family Forum

Discuss family topics/issues, and give and receive encouragement here.

Thread: Unconditional Love?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Question Unconditional Love?

    In a marriage, or relationship, what is unconditional love?
    joefizz and Sweetmorningdew78 like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eromonnis View Post
    In a marriage, or relationship, what is unconditional love?
    Just like Jesus died for everybody knowing many would reject him, we are to love without expecting anything back in return.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    4,483
    Rep Power
    213

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eromonnis View Post
    In a marriage, or relationship, what is unconditional love?
    To answer your question directly, "unattainable". As fallen humans, we will never love perfectly, without conditions.

    Paul described the love of God in 1 Corinthians 13. That is the standard of love to which we aspire. It is impossible to exhibit such love on human strength alone. Only by the power of the Holy Spirit can we give God's kind of love to another human.

    In practical terms, unconditional love means continuing to act in love towards another person regardless of how they treat you; when they are loving, kind, thoughtful, generous, sacrificial, patient and encouraging, you love them. When they are forgetful, hateful, indifferent, sick, sinful, unfaithful, aggressive, and abusive, you love them. When they can do nothing for you, good or bad, you love them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    20,060
    Rep Power
    238

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    I agree with Dino. Humans are imperfect. As is their love. As humans our love has a breaking point. It may be very high for some, but it's there.
    But to love unconditionally is simply never loving them less, no matter what. Unconditional love is Not making yourself a doormat or a victim. God loved Jesus unconditionally yet still turned His back on him when it was needed.
    Unconditional love is not easy to give because it requires selflessness and the ability to do what's right, even when it hurts.
    My love is nowhere near perfect, but I love my ex-gf. She felt she had to end things for reasons outside of our relationship. I want to show up at her door and say I'm not leaving and we'll work it out (romantically not creepy stalker haha)
    But she needs what she needs. No matter how much it hurts I have to leave her alone.

    It seems like you have something specific in mind and are being vague. Difficulty in that is we all will answer through the filter of our experiences and that may not be a reflection on what you're contending with. If you need advice, just ask. It's much easier than vague questions you hope the answers to will magically apply.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  5. #5
    Senior Member Huckleberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eromonnis View Post
    In a marriage, or relationship, what is unconditional love?
    Doesn't exist outside of a parent/child relationship.
    Dan58, joefizz and Nehemiah6 like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member joefizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    12,534
    Rep Power
    218

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Everyone has their "personal views"as to what "unconditional love is" biblically it is "helping others" regardless of how they've treated you,and "caring" for others even when they don't care for you.
    It really is the toughest thing to even come close in one having it and sharing it,however it seems more "plausible" for someone to express when they are around someone they genuinely care for but even then it's tough because as time goes on people can change,or push you away,a relationship or marriage I gather would be either easier or tougher to express such love depending upon circumstances.
    Sweetmorningdew78 likes this.
    This is Joefizz's signature....
    If you don't believe in true love then please don't tell me not to believe in it because I believe it to be real.
    Are you reading my signature right now!?
    Quote Originally Posted by WineRose View Post
    Joefizz = Jojo's Bizzare Adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktalk View Post
    haha joey joe joe - a roo!



  7. #7
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    ...In practical terms, unconditional love means continuing to act in love towards another person regardless of how they treat you;...
    Is not an act a pretense, not real, but just an appearance. If so, then that is conditional. It is saying 'I will act lovingly in the hope you will act lovingly in return'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    ...(W)hen they are loving, kind, thoughtful, generous, sacrificial, patient and encouraging, you love them.
    When they are forgetful, hateful, indifferent, sick, sinful, unfaithful, aggressive, and abusive, you love them.
    When they can do nothing for you, good or bad, you love them.
    In each scenario given, what is it that you love?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Doesn't exist outside of a parent/child relationship.
    Sorry to read that you think so. It may be rare, but it does exist if you are true.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by joefizz View Post
    Everyone has their "personal views"as to what "unconditional love is" biblically it is "helping others" regardless of how they've treated you,and "caring" for others even when they don't care for you.
    It really is the toughest thing to even come close in one having it and sharing it,however it seems more "plausible" for someone to express when they are around someone they genuinely care for but even then it's tough because as time goes on people can change,or push you away,a relationship or marriage I gather would be either easier or tougher to express such love depending upon circumstances.
    What part of you do you want others to care about?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seedz View Post
    Just like Jesus died for everybody knowing many would reject him, we are to love without expecting anything back in return.
    What are you loving without expecting anything in return?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    4,483
    Rep Power
    213

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eromonnis View Post
    Is not an act a pretense, not real, but just an appearance. If so, then that is conditional. It is saying 'I will act lovingly in the hope you will act lovingly in return'.
    I emphasized "act" not as in pretense, but as in action (behaviour) rather than mere sentiment or verbal expression.

    In each scenario given, what is it that you love?[/QUOTE]

    As I said, you love them... the other person(s). You love the person, by acting in a manner consistent with loving them.

  12. #12
    Senior Member stand2's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2017
    Age
    65
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    I must try not to ramble.....Love, like people, is as different to one or the other as petals of a flower. It can vary in degree or intensity. Ideally it grows stronger over time especially when it is shared. True love withstands all adversity and "knows no bounds." It is genuine and beyond scrutiny. Unconditional love is all these and more. It is always given openly and without reservation regardless of distance, time, circumstances or situations. And the hardest part of all, it is everlasting (even unto death). This is the short version......​lol
    Lafftur likes this.
    "It is lost ! Lost I tell you ! It cannot be found and remains as elusive as the salvation of one's immortal soul."

    "Yep......I gave it to him. Why not ?.......I didn't need it for anything."

  13. #13
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    63
    Posts
    21,854
    Rep Power
    611

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by joefizz View Post
    Everyone has their "personal views"as to what "unconditional love is" biblically it is "helping others" regardless of how they've treated you,and "caring" for others even when they don't care for you.
    It really is the toughest thing to even come close in one having it and sharing it,however it seems more "plausible" for someone to express when they are around someone they genuinely care for but even then it's tough because as time goes on people can change,or push you away,a relationship or marriage I gather would be either easier or tougher to express such love depending upon circumstances.
    It is rendered conditional if it is predicated on someone you already care about... I had this discussion with an atheist once, he believing that he was greater than God because he could love unconditionally, yet the condition existed that he was only capable of such with those he cared about. When I pointed out to him that if he had to care about someone before he could "unconditionally love" them, then it was no longer unconditional, he got really angry at me. I gather he was rather attached to his idea that he was greater than God in some way


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  14. #14
    Senior Member joefizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    12,534
    Rep Power
    218

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    It is rendered conditional if it is predicated on someone you already care about... I had this discussion with an atheist once, he believing that he was greater than God because he could love unconditionally, yet the condition existed that he was only capable of such with those he cared about. When I pointed out to him that if he had to care about someone before he could "unconditionally love" them, then it was no longer unconditional, he got really angry at me. I gather he was rather attached to his idea that he was greater than God in some way
    Very good point I suppose I should have worded that "continual love" can be tougher or easier once married or in a relationship,because though it's rather "implied" in such relations unconditional love isn't always "considered" in this modern age whether married or in some ordinary relations such as being a loving parent,relative,or friend,it's easy to "say" or "assume" one "cares for family or others" but their heart could be uncaring,"unconditional love" is very rare if not impossible perhaps,but always good to strive to be "selfless" wherever possible,but thankfully under Jesus's grace and through the holy spirit we can have "help" being more "caring" and "selfless".
    This is Joefizz's signature....
    If you don't believe in true love then please don't tell me not to believe in it because I believe it to be real.
    Are you reading my signature right now!?
    Quote Originally Posted by WineRose View Post
    Joefizz = Jojo's Bizzare Adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktalk View Post
    haha joey joe joe - a roo!



  15. #15
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,295
    Rep Power
    402

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    this song goes here.



    so ((in case you don't)) you can at least say the words melodiously
    Lafftur likes this.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2017
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,124
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Unconditional = without conditions, non-conditional, un-conditional.

    I love you even though, I love you even if, I love you regardless of, I love you equally. Unconditional statements

    I love you when, I love you because, I love you if, I love you but. Conditional statements - people get these confused with unconditional.

    A mother loves her child, but more so than other children, because it is her child - Conditional love

    If you really want to know what unconditional love is look at Jesus. How much do you sacrifice your 'self' compared to running from situations that might affect your 'self'. Condition: as long as it doesn't affect me. To get to the extreme point of unconditional love, what would you do if you were about to be crucified, and you could either run away and forget about it, or it was God's will and you were meant to?

    Maybe the whole version of events with Jesus' death are to show what true selflessness is, that even in great fear, we can do God's will. (When we fear that is when we are tested as to our religious beliefs) Would you do that for all the billions of people in this world?

    Condition: I love people who have Christian values more than those who don't.
    Condition: I love x, but I don't love y.

    Unconditional: I love people equally, and do not define my love for people based on my judgement of them first.
    Unconditional: If I see something I do not like, or maybe hate, then it is only love which can fix it, not my judgement.

    Judgement is very much the enemy of unconditional love.
    joefizz and Eromonnis like this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    As I said, you love them... the other person(s). You love the person, by acting in a manner consistent with loving them.
    Then when a person is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    ... forgetful, hateful, indifferent, sick, sinful, unfaithful, aggressive, and abusive, you love them...
    ...what is it in a person you love?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by stand2 View Post
    I must try not to ramble.....Love, like people, is as different to one or the other as petals of a flower. It can vary in degree or intensity. Ideally it grows stronger over time especially when it is shared. True love withstands all adversity and "knows no bounds." It is genuine and beyond scrutiny. Unconditional love is all these and more. It is always given openly and without reservation regardless of distance, time, circumstances or situations. And the hardest part of all, it is everlasting (even unto death). This is the short version......​lol
    If the love is unconditional, then how can it be _ as I underlined in your quote?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Eromonnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj007 View Post
    ...Unconditional: If I see something I do not like, or maybe hate, then it is only love which can fix it, not my judgement.

    Judgement is very much the enemy of unconditional love.
    What is it we judge that makes it conditional?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 25th, 2017
    Age
    40
    Posts
    958
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Unconditional Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eromonnis View Post
    In a marriage, or relationship, what is unconditional love?
    Hmmmm... Caring about the happiness of another person without any thought of what you might get for yourself... Do we all love unconditionally if we truly love a person?I guess we do... I still can remember those days when life was so hard...my father will let us eat first and will go hungry if he will see that the food is just enough for us.I can say that my father loves us unconditionally even if we made his head hurts the whole day and yet he still don't want us to go hungry


    And when my ex cheated on me and I still took him back even if he hurts me so much and forgave him even if he didnt ask for forgiveness.....I don't know if you can call that unconditional love...but for me it is...wanting...loving the same person even if he hurts you a million times...



    But I want to know your answer sir... you maybe know more about unconditional love
    Last edited by Sweetmorningdew78; December 28th, 2017 at 11:45 PM.
    tourist, Magenta, stand2 and 1 others like this.
    "You can measure your love for GOD by showing your love for others."





    "Smile more you look amazing when you smile" --Sweetmorningdew78

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Unconditional Love
    By FirstLast in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2016, 07:26 PM
  2. The Unconditional Love of God
    By BradC in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: April 4th, 2015, 01:31 AM
  3. God's Unconditional Love.
    By Yowie in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 11th, 2014, 02:34 AM
  4. What Does Unconditional Love Mean to you??
    By jrccomputer in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: July 19th, 2014, 11:09 AM
  5. Jesus is a God of conditional Love, not unconditional love.
    By ozell in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 439
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2013, 07:01 AM

Tags for this Thread