Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
Like Tree36Likes

Christian Music Forum

Share Christian music videos and Christian songs right here!

Thread: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    About 3 or 4 years ago Dave Mustaine announced that he had converted to Christianity. He had a 20-year struggle with drug addiction and alcoholism after leaving home at 15 to escape an abusive alcoholic father. Megadeth has always been one of my favorite bands so as a person who has also struggled with addiction I feel encouraged when I listen to his music.
    Side note... the Rust in Peace album is a musical masterpiece
    Stuff and things

  2. #2
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    22,295
    Rep Power
    310

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    That says a lot... even if it doesn't explain much.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    He was kicked out of Metallica because he was a violent alcoholic. About four months later he formed Megadeth. Dave Mustaine has always been a bit of an arrogant jerk but I respect his professionalism.
    Stuff and things

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2013
    Age
    45
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    I love Dave Mustaine, and he wrote if not every song, just about all of them on Garage Days, Metallica's first album. When I was a teen he was a god... they were until they sold out... Loved Megadeth too, who could not... that is neither here nor there... But you made me happy with this post I hope it is true and he is saved, he can sing for me and of course Y-shua in heaven!!!!! G-d did give him his talent.



    Does he put anything out now? Do you know....
    Monnkai likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude653 View Post
    About 3 or 4 years ago Dave Mustaine announced that he had converted to Christianity. He had a 20-year struggle with drug addiction and alcoholism after leaving home at 15 to escape an abusive alcoholic father. Megadeth has always been one of my favorite bands so as a person who has also struggled with addiction I feel encouraged when I listen to his music.
    Side note... the Rust in Peace album is a musical masterpiece
    Blah,blah,blah.

    Christian is as Christian does.

    You will know them by their fruits.

    Dave Mustaine still cares about his stupid metal band,which as a Christian should give it up,for love not the world or the things in the world.

    And also he does concerts with other metal bands,including that stupid Slayer band that does not give a rats butt about God.

    So how is that for a Christian.Mingle with the devil but you are still right with God,which does not give a whole lot of credit to Dave.

    But people who claim to be liberal do not care with their relaxed ways,and even a lot of people that claim conservative do not care with their relaxed ways.

    Welcome to the end time folks where the majority of people who claim to be with Christ,do not care to act like Christ.

    Which means they are ashamed of Christ,for they do not like to represent His ways.

    So blah,blah,blah,with that Dave Mustaine bullcrap,who does not care about the will of God.

    God said they profess they know Him,but in works they deny Him,by their worldly ways,all the while thinking,oh look at me I am living for God.

    Think again thou hypocrite.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by MattforJesus View Post
    Blah,blah,blah.

    Christian is as Christian does.

    You will know them by their fruits.

    Dave Mustaine still cares about his stupid metal band,which as a Christian should give it up,for love not the world or the things in the world.

    And also he does concerts with other metal bands,including that stupid Slayer band that does not give a rats butt about God.

    So how is that for a Christian.Mingle with the devil but you are still right with God,which does not give a whole lot of credit to Dave.

    But people who claim to be liberal do not care with their relaxed ways,and even a lot of people that claim conservative do not care with their relaxed ways.

    Welcome to the end time folks where the majority of people who claim to be with Christ,do not care to act like Christ.

    Which means they are ashamed of Christ,for they do not like to represent His ways.

    So blah,blah,blah,with that Dave Mustaine bullcrap,who does not care about the will of God.

    God said they profess they know Him,but in works they deny Him,by their worldly ways,all the while thinking,oh look at me I am living for God.

    Think again thou hypocrite.
    No need for personal insults. If you have nothing constructive to say then move along. Say anything else negative I'm just going to put you on ignore
    dcontroversal and longtrekker like this.
    Stuff and things

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by mcubed View Post
    I love Dave Mustaine, and he wrote if not every song, just about all of them on Garage Days, Metallica's first album. When I was a teen he was a god... they were until they sold out... Loved Megadeth too, who could not... that is neither here nor there... But you made me happy with this post I hope it is true and he is saved, he can sing for me and of course Y-shua in heaven!!!!! G-d did give him his talent.



    Does he put anything out now? Do you know....
    Metallica hasn't done anything decent in at least 20 years. I believe the last Megadeth album was dystopia. It was a pretty good album
    Stuff and things

  8. #8
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    314

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by MattforJesus View Post
    Blah,blah,blah.

    Christian is as Christian does.

    You will know them by their fruits.

    Dave Mustaine still cares about his stupid metal band,which as a Christian should give it up,for love not the world or the things in the world.

    And also he does concerts with other metal bands,including that stupid Slayer band that does not give a rats butt about God.

    So how is that for a Christian.Mingle with the devil but you are still right with God,which does not give a whole lot of credit to Dave.

    But people who claim to be liberal do not care with their relaxed ways,and even a lot of people that claim conservative do not care with their relaxed ways.

    Welcome to the end time folks where the majority of people who claim to be with Christ,do not care to act like Christ.

    Which means they are ashamed of Christ,for they do not like to represent His ways.

    So blah,blah,blah,with that Dave Mustaine bullcrap,who does not care about the will of God.

    God said they profess they know Him,but in works they deny Him,by their worldly ways,all the while thinking,oh look at me I am living for God.

    Think again thou hypocrite.
    Kind of like JESUS who ate with publicans, sinners and whores...you would have probably accused JESUS of buying one for two bits........

    Pharisee(ism)-->A judgmental hypocrite who assumes they are righteous, most are evil and for sure a devil behind every bush

    The above post makes me want to spew and exactly why many see Christianity as a bunch of bigots and self righteous hypocrites.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,455
    Rep Power
    55

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    Kind of like JESUS who ate with publicans, sinners and whores...you would have probably accused JESUS of buying one for two bits........

    Pharisee(ism)-->A judgmental hypocrite who assumes they are righteous, most are evil and for sure a devil behind every bush

    The above post makes me want to spew and exactly why many see Christianity as a bunch of bigots and self righteous hypocrites.....
    I see a lot of Christians latch onto Jesus turning over the animal sacrifice tables and calling people hypocrites to justify performing this behavior themselves. Problem is their targets are wrong, and they aren't the Son of Man (meaning they shouldn't really judge as they are imperfect themselves and can't see into hearts).

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Notice rather than speaking encouraging words about overcoming alcoholism his immediate reaction was to be judgmental. That shows me where his heart is
    Socreta93 likes this.
    Stuff and things

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by MattforJesus View Post
    Blah,blah,blah.

    Christian is as Christian does.

    You will know them by their fruits.

    Dave Mustaine still cares about his stupid metal band,which as a Christian should give it up,for love not the world or the things in the world.

    And also he does concerts with other metal bands,including that stupid Slayer band that does not give a rats butt about God.

    So how is that for a Christian.Mingle with the devil but you are still right with God,which does not give a whole lot of credit to Dave.

    But people who claim to be liberal do not care with their relaxed ways,and even a lot of people that claim conservative do not care with their relaxed ways.

    Welcome to the end time folks where the majority of people who claim to be with Christ,do not care to act like Christ.

    Which means they are ashamed of Christ,for they do not like to represent His ways.

    So blah,blah,blah,with that Dave Mustaine bullcrap,who does not care about the will of God.

    God said they profess they know Him,but in works they deny Him,by their worldly ways,all the while thinking,oh look at me I am living for God.

    Think again thou hypocrite.
    I wish this could be deleted for it sounds a little harsh,and I do not want to call anyone a hypocrite.So I apologize,and the way Christianity is portrayed among many people bothers me from time to time.
    IamWhoIam likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    314

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    I see a lot of Christians latch onto Jesus turning over the animal sacrifice tables and calling people hypocrites to justify performing this behavior themselves. Problem is their targets are wrong, and they aren't the Son of Man (meaning they shouldn't really judge as they are imperfect themselves and can't see into hearts).
    All I know is that I watched him speak and say he has converted to Christ...he gave a good witness and one who has been immersed in drugs, sex and a wicked lifestyle for so many years will not be instantly (sanctified) in their daily life....I went thru drugs and when I, after conviction and attending church, a asking the Lord to save me, went through a 3 years and a half of successes and failures to finally quit it all....it took me selling the only thing my dad left me (a 61 Les Paul Gibson SG) and moving to another state to fully change my life and then it still took a few years to completely quit smoking weed....I was in church 3 times a week, reading and studying the bible 40 hours a week, witnessing, being persecuted for witnessing, feeding the bums who ate out of the dumpster at work, giving 20% of my income to my church etc......IT TAKES TIME and transformation for a man to fully surrender their physical life and come up out of the pit.....

    EVEN PETER after walking with the LORD JESUS CHRIST for three years plus had to be told...WHEN YOU ARE CONVERTED....this guy walked on water, raised the dead, cured the lame, blind and sick, preached, taught, healed etc.....and still went back to fishing and had to be rebuked, instructed and called back up to the mission at hand.....

    It makes me sick when I see one who constantly pushes this self righteous Pharisee(ism) and I am all that and a back of chips spiritually come down on a man and make the kind of remarks that he made to and concerning a man who just recently turned to the Lord..............fires me right up
    Last edited by dcontroversal; November 18th, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
    PennEd and Monnkai like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    This type of attitude is exactly why people are turning away from Christianity. Anyway as someone who also struggled with drugs and alcohol I can take encouragement in his story maybe he will encourage other musicians who might be struggling with drug addiction. I think maybe one reason why so many musicians struggle with drug abuse is probably the rigorous lifestyle of constantly touring. It has to take a lot out of you
    laura_charlotte likes this.
    Stuff and things

  14. #14
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,455
    Rep Power
    55

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    All I know is that I watched him speak and say he has converted to Christ...he gave a good witness and one who has been immersed in drugs, sex and a wicked lifestyle for so many years will not be instantly (sanctified) in their daily life....I went thru drugs and when I, after conviction and attending church, a asking the Lord to save me, went through a 3 years and a half of successes and failures to finally quit it all....it took me selling the only thing my dad left me (a 61 Les Paul Gibson SG) and moving to another state to fully change my life and then it still took a few years to completely quit smoking weed...
    I'm still struggling with the weed myself. I quit in May because I need to for work in the near future and want to be ready to live without it and have clean urine, but every now and then I smoke once or get a hold of a small amount.

    I enjoy not being dependent on it and I am more prone to sin when I'm high, but I also do good things and can feel happiness on it so it's hard to quit and write off as evil when the tobacco I currently smoke as a substitute is worse for my health (I know the tobacco is evil too).

    I'm glad you found peace and escaped it, gives me hope I can do the same.
    Monnkai likes this.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Monnkai likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    26,796
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    314

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    I'm still struggling with the weed myself. I quit in May because I need to for work in the near future and want to be ready to live without it and have clean urine, but every now and then I smoke once or get a hold of a small amount.

    I enjoy not being dependent on it and I am more prone to sin when I'm high, but I also do good things and can feel happiness on it so it's hard to quit and write off as evil when the tobacco I currently smoke as a substitute is worse for my health (I know the tobacco is evil too).

    I'm glad you found peace and escaped it, gives me hope I can do the same.
    Amen....weed is hard for sure...and to be honest I would be lying if I said that I did not like it.......to me the easiest way was to just not be around it....I had to give up all my "friends" and move.....I wrote a letter witnessing to ALL of the people I had "partied" with......and everyone except one disassociated and mocked me....Oh well....I would rather Jesus know me by faith than have the entire world as friends.....and for any and all reading....WEED was not the only thing I overcame through JESUS....Coke, crystal methamphetamine, acid, opium, Xanax, Demerol, hash, needles and the life that goes with that......now you see why I am so adamant about he grace, mercy and salvation found in Christ......regardless of how many failures I have...he brought me through that crap, saved me, delivered me and has allowed me to witness to probably half a million people without exaggeration.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Weed can be a hard habit to break. I haven't done it in a lot of years but it still tempting. Also this new stuff everyone is buying is a lot more expensive than the stuff I used to buy years ago
    dcontroversal likes this.
    Stuff and things

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2017
    Age
    48
    Posts
    519
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    Kind of like JESUS who ate with publicans, sinners and whores...you would have probably accused JESUS of buying one for two bits........

    Pharisee(ism)-->A judgmental hypocrite who assumes they are righteous, most are evil and for sure a devil behind every bush

    The above post makes me want to spew and exactly why many see Christianity as a bunch of bigots and self righteous hypocrites.....
    FYI, Jesus didn't "hang out" with those people. Eating with publicans one time does not constitute hanging out.
    As far as the prostitutes are concerned, they came to Him because they were changed, or dragged to Him!
    Amazing... when Jesus wants to lift people out of sin, they would rather drag Him down in the hog pen with them.
    That's what they do when they believe they're saved, no matter what.
    Last edited by Speak2Me; November 18th, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Rosemaryx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 3rd, 2017
    Age
    56
    Posts
    916
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    Amen....weed is hard for sure...and to be honest I would be lying if I said that I did not like it.......to me the easiest way was to just not be around it....I had to give up all my "friends" and move.....I wrote a letter witnessing to ALL of the people I had "partied" with......and everyone except one disassociated and mocked me....Oh well....I would rather Jesus know me by faith than have the entire world as friends.....and for any and all reading....WEED was not the only thing I overcame through JESUS....Coke, crystal methamphetamine, acid, opium, Xanax, Demerol, hash, needles and the life that goes with that......now you see why I am so adamant about he grace, mercy and salvation found in Christ......regardless of how many failures I have...he brought me through that crap, saved me, delivered me and has allowed me to witness to probably half a million people without exaggeration.
    Thank you Dcon for sharing that...My son who is a lifer has been saved, but has gone back a bit to getting stoned although he has given up the spice that once nearly killed him...Reading your post here just gave me hope that one day God willing, my son will give it all up through the working of our Lord in his life...

    He is locked up 23 hours a day, I understand it is hard for him when he has no fellowship in prison apart from Sunday for 1 hour when at prison church, I write to him weekly and minister to him with Scripture, today I heard his voice on the phone after a while he has remained distant from me, your post has helped me not to look down but always look up, thank you once again and God bless you Dcon...xox...
    dcontroversal and longtrekker like this.
    PSALM 107:20 He sends His word and heals me and rescues me from the pit and destruction.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,758
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Dave Mustaine and his struggle with addiction

    Quote Originally Posted by Speak2Me View Post
    FYI, Jesus didn't "hang out" with those people. Eating with publicans one time does not constitute hanging out.
    As far as the prostitutes are concerned, they came to Him because they were changed, or dragged to Him!
    Amazing... when Jesus wants to lift people out of sin, they would rather drag Him down in the hog pen with them.
    That's what they do when they believe they're saved, no matter what.
    Dave Mustaine is a musician. That's what he does for a living. That's what he's good at. Is he supposed to go work at McDonald's now that he's a Christian?
    Socreta93 and IamWhoIam like this.
    Stuff and things

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Megadeth's Dave Mustaine: Satanic Forces
    By MrStevish in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 24th, 2017, 11:20 PM
  2. Hi Dave here
    By Dave19 in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 29th, 2017, 01:19 AM
  3. Biker Dave
    By Footie03 in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 28th, 2013, 03:20 PM
  4. Hey, Im Dave!
    By witenite101 in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 19th, 2012, 02:13 PM
  5. Dave Hunt
    By Crypto in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: June 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM