Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
Like Tree33Likes

Christian News Forum

Share the latest news (world news, local news, current events, etc.) with your Christian friends right here, and give or get a Christian perspective on it.

Thread: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Hi,

    so for the last two days I've been wondering how to cope with tragedies like the Texas shooting. It really made me think and honestly I feel it's so difficult for me not to loose trust in God.
    Even though, I know he is grieving with all the people who lost somebody and is not happy about what happened. And surely, there is evil in this world and the man had his freedom to choose his actions but still, I feel, God could have done something, just a small intervention and things could be different. Is this really going to teach people something about God? Because my thinking is, people must ask "how can this happen in a church, where God is present and protects the people?"

    I don't know, it's just difficult for me to deal with this. What are your thoughts? And please be honest, are you really OK with that? Are you really thinking, God is great, he had a bigger reason for letting it go that far?

  2. #2
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,938
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    I don't believe God "meddles" in the affairs of man. I believe what happens here on earth is the direct result of man's disobedience to God, and we are basically reaping what Adam and Eve sowed...

    Think about it... if God did actually start or stop evil, then where would the line be drawn? "ok, I'll let Hitler murder 6 million Jews, but no more than that".....

    Evil exists because mankind LET it exist.

    What God has done is give us a way to survive it when it happens.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Yeah, I agree with you evil is here because people let it exist. But on the other hand we can get closer to God and let him to influence our life, so the evil can get more distant from us. And often you here testimonies of people being saved by God, he saves lives of people. But this time he didn't or maybe only a few people. That makes me angry and speechless...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Evil exists because take for example this situation, people see the killer as evil, rather than a child of God. And it is not empathising with the person, they push God out and put evil in its place. But it is through love we can come to understand better. Not JUST through the easiest thing in the world, and that is sympathy for those left behind. A bit like seeing people starving in 3rd world countries and going aww that's sad wish I could help them, and yet not becoming a missionary. It's the easy version of empathy, which is not empathy. Sympathy is not empathy. But those who practise this disconnection, will suddenly become charitable and kind hearted when tragedy occurs. But sure, they will have empathy for 'the heroes'.

    It is through lack of love in the world, that such things occur, and everyone is responsible.

    But out of such things that come from a lack of love in the world, what happens? People then practice hate and judgement using that person as a scapegoat, and so the cycle of a lack of love in the world continues. Who is likely to practise hate and judgement? The very same people who have a lack of love, yet will consider themselves loving, or perhaps even consider themselves God loving.

    Do people create killers? Or should I say, does a killer create themselves, and was never influenced by people along their path, one unkind action leading to a chain reaction of other unkindness, etc. Every killer was once a child like any of us. Things go round and round, although, so does love but to a lesser degree because there is a lack of it. But I would like to think if people truly follow Jesus, rather than become an intellectual scripture memoriser, then such things can be affected.

    How do we know we haven't completely changed the events of a persons life, when we take the time to stop and make someone smile who appears distressed. Such simple actions can change the future, when we choose to see God in everything.

    Most often perpetrators who created victims, were a victim themselves. Even those who do evil in the Middle East, were children who grew up in a war torn place, who maybe had parents who were killed and then became hate and malice.

    If you choose to have empathy, have empathy for everyone. Unconditional love, is not conditional love. But so many of us place conditions on every bit of love we have and then we are part of the worldwide problem that goes round and round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo3o3o View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you evil is here because people let it exist. But on the other hand we can get closer to God and let him to influence our life, so the evil can get more distant from us. And often you here testimonies of people being saved by God, he saves lives of people. But this time he didn't or maybe only a few people. That makes me angry and speechless...
    LookingtoZion likes this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Of course, the killer is not evil, I understand your point and I consider him as a child of God, whom God loves very much but he did some bad choices maybe based on his childhood or other experience from life, but he did..and God could stop it..

  6. #6
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,938
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo3o3o View Post
    Of course, the killer is not evil, I understand your point and I consider him as a child of God, whom God loves very much but he did some bad choices maybe based on his childhood or other experience from life, but he did..and God could stop it..
    You still seem to be set on blaming God for this.... Why is that?

    It has been shown to you that evil happens because of what mankind has done, not because "God allows it"...

    If God did not allow evil in this world, there would have been no need for a savior, and there would be no death, no sin....

    That is not the world we live in.... and it is not "God's fault"... it is man's fault.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    I know it's not God's fault, but he could do something. Just take the everyday example from many Christian's lives as they pray for safety on the road, for being healthy, parents praying for their child who is travelling alone in foreign country. We know God is not indifferent to us, he cares. He can lead us through darkness, help us from depression, from evil..
    But if we believe in this, how can we cope with situations where God is "just watching".
    And I'm aware of the fact, that we cannot see things that God did for this world and is doing and maybe he saved us from something much worse, but I just find it difficult to be OK with it.
    If I imagine my friends who don't believe in God asking me "How is this possible?" to say to them "Well, ther is evil in this world, God could stop it but he doesn't want it, so he let it happen, but otherwise he's great, I feel him loving me everyday." Say it to parents who just lost their child, what would they think?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    18,762
    Rep Power
    410

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo3o3o View Post
    Of course, the killer is not evil, I understand your point and I consider him as a child of God, whom God loves very much but he did some bad choices maybe based on his childhood or other experience from life, but he did..and God could stop it..
    Nobody has the right to call themselves a child of God unless they believe on Jesus Christ. As to how bad it was and your hypothesis that God did not intervene, that is an assumption you make, for however bad it was, it could have been much worse.
    oldethennew likes this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,619
    Rep Power
    147

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    every premeditated 'KILLER' is not a child of Jesus, quite the contrary,
    they are a child of satan...
    kaylagrl likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    As I was saying, the lacking in love scapegoat the devoid of love.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldethennew View Post
    every premeditated 'KILLER' is not a child of Jesus, quite the contrary,
    they are a child of satan...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Yes I forgot it's a elite group, being a Christian. Better than everyone else. It's not that everyone is born a child of God, in God's image, man has overwritten this and claimed BS in their judgement, 'I decide who is a child of God'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    Nobody has the right to call themselves a child of God unless they believe on Jesus Christ. As to how bad it was and your hypothesis that God did not intervene, that is an assumption you make, for however bad it was, it could have been much worse.
    Lo3o3o likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,938
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo3o3o View Post
    I know it's not God's fault, but he could do something. Just take the everyday example from many Christian's lives as they pray for safety on the road, for being healthy, parents praying for their child who is travelling alone in foreign country. We know God is not indifferent to us, he cares. He can lead us through darkness, help us from depression, from evil..
    But if we believe in this, how can we cope with situations where God is "just watching".
    And I'm aware of the fact, that we cannot see things that God did for this world and is doing and maybe he saved us from something much worse, but I just find it difficult to be OK with it.
    If I imagine my friends who don't believe in God asking me "How is this possible?" to say to them "Well, ther is evil in this world, God could stop it but he doesn't want it, so he let it happen, but otherwise he's great, I feel him loving me everyday." Say it to parents who just lost their child, what would they think?
    I don't think I said that very well.... I firmly believe that God watches over us, but I think it's more on an individual level.... I was trying to say that I don't think God "manages" every situation on this earth. Otherwise, we would have never had Hitler, or Pol Pot, or the genocide in Rwanda, etc....

    This world has evil in it, and bad things are going to happen. I do not believe that God "choreographs" life.... I think He lets life happen. If we pray specifically for protection and guidance, I believe He answers those prayers. He tells us that He will answer... I believe Him.
    Susanna likes this.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2013
    Age
    23
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Yes, that's what I believe in too.. He gives us freedom, that's his gift of love for us and it has consequences..

  14. #14
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    17,426
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    317

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    God allows certain things to happen and prevents certain things from happening. The reasons for such may seem unclear at the time but it is for God's glory and the ultimate benefit for those that know and love Him. A parent that lost their child would probably be angry at God for allowing it to happen. This is understandable but over time God will comfort those that hurt and give them the courage and the strength to go on with life.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Huckleberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,266
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo3o3o View Post
    Hi,

    so for the last two days I've been wondering how to cope with tragedies like the Texas shooting. It really made me think and honestly I feel it's so difficult for me not to loose trust in God.
    Even though, I know he is grieving with all the people who lost somebody and is not happy about what happened. And surely, there is evil in this world and the man had his freedom to choose his actions but still, I feel, God could have done something, just a small intervention and things could be different. Is this really going to teach people something about God? Because my thinking is, people must ask "how can this happen in a church, where God is present and protects the people?"

    I don't know, it's just difficult for me to deal with this. What are your thoughts? And please be honest, are you really OK with that? Are you really thinking, God is great, he had a bigger reason for letting it go that far?
    Of course it's horrible and wasn't God's will,
    but there is obviously a Grander Scheme.
    Tragedies such as this should remind us of Proverbs 27 verse 1:
    "Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou
    knowest not what a day may bring forth."
    We all have an appointment with death,
    and how or where we die isn't important.
    What's important is when we die.
    Hopefully it's after we've made peace with God.
    Billyd likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    64
    Posts
    9,946
    Rep Power
    130

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    We cope with it by trusting our Lord. We are not called to question but to minister to those who have suffered loss. What greater opportunity to witness of the goodness of God in times of great tragedy. Where sin did abound grace did much more abound.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  17. #17
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,497
    Rep Power
    145

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    I don't believe God "meddles" in the affairs of man. I believe what happens here on earth is the direct result of man's disobedience to God, and we are basically reaping what Adam and Eve sowed...

    Think about it... if God did actually start or stop evil, then where would the line be drawn? "ok, I'll let Hitler murder 6 million Jews, but no more than that".....

    Evil exists because mankind LET it exist.

    What God has done is give us a way to survive it when it happens.


    I pray daily that God will meddle in my affairs,
    and thankfully he often does.

    : )

    Hornetguy,
    I have a little different view on sovereignty than most of my comrades in the Arminian camp, but I always appreciate your posts, and your good common sense about everything.


    God Bless.

  18. #18
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    25,827
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    266

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Evil men and seducers will wax worse and worse....Paul said very perilous times will come because of the nature and consistent evil nature of man......as graphic as this is...and as graphic as ISIS is and all of the murders, rapes, abuse, etc.....it is nothing compared to what is coming.....if JESUS himself does not step in when he does there will be NO FLESH LEFT ALIVE......think about that for a moment....and no flesh is indicative of NO FLESH....not just human flesh, but ALL FLESH.......humanity is spiraling out of control with no brakes.....and it will continue to get worse and worse and we have reached or are close to reaching a point of no return....yea....no matter, what will come will come.....all we can do is trust JESUS, keep our eyes on him and be very diligent concerning what is happening around us.....

  19. #19
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    21,240
    Rep Power
    267

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Good grief, Girl! First, get the bleeding stopped, then get yourself to a hospital to have the wounds taken care of.
    Tommy379 likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mass shootings-how to cope with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo3o3o View Post
    Hi,

    so for the last two days I've been wondering how to cope with tragedies like the Texas shooting. It really made me think and honestly I feel it's so difficult for me not to loose trust in God.
    I think with any human tragedy and suffering, I concluded that it's a matter of that this life is temporary and isn't a drop in the sea compared to the eternity of heaven. With that in mind, I realized that what happens here isn't really that important, even if we are so consumed in the moment in our lives on earth.

    Also, whatever there is to be gained by a soul in suffering we frequently do not see immediately, either, and we may never perceive it.
    kaylagrl likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SCHOOL SHOOTINGS IN AMERICA
    By flight316 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 05:46 PM
  2. Chris talks about the shootings
    By Willie-T in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 12th, 2016, 04:10 PM
  3. America Unites In The Wake Of Several Deadly Shootings
    By Voldemort in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 11th, 2016, 02:52 AM
  4. 7 Church Burnings Across South Since Emanuel shootings.
    By crossnote in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2015, 02:05 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 25th, 2014, 03:23 AM