Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 924
Like Tree1730Likes

Christian News Forum

Share the latest news (world news, local news, current events, etc.) with your Christian friends right here, and give or get a Christian perspective on it.

Thread: The politics of Gay rights.

  1. #41
    Senior Member Billyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2014
    Age
    76
    Posts
    3,093
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude653 View Post
    The general Narrative of right-wingers and Christian fundamentalist is that they should not have any constitutional rights
    From a right-wing Christian Fundamentalist. Everyone in this country has the same constitutional rights. Gay marriage is as wrong as any other sin, and no Christian should support it. It is, however, SCOTUS settled law, and as such, although we don't believe it is blessed or allowed by God, we do not deny gays their right to marry.

    We do, however, believe that we have the right to refuse to perform a gay wedding ceremony. We will know by the end of this SCOTUS session whether that is settled law. If SCOTUS decides that we can not refuse to marry a gay couple, or create a gay image for anyone, there will be a lot of us in jail because they refuse to do so. Either way SCOTUS rules, it will become settled law. You can rest assured that, if it is settled our way, the courts will be clogged with lawsuits against every Christian who exercises his right.

    Christians have the right, and responsibility to speak up against laws that force them to take actions against God. Neither side has the right to destroy the property of others when they disagree with law.

    Instead of berating Christians for objecting to laws they disagree with, take some time and listen to what is being said. We aren't denying anyone their rights, but we are saying that what they think is a right, is actually a wrong.
    2 Peter 1:5 Because you have these blessings, do all you can to add to your life these things: to your faith add goodness; to your goodness add knowledge; 6 to your knowledge add self-control; to your self-control add patience; to your patience add devotion to God; 7 to your devotion add kindness toward your brothers and sisters in Christ, and to this kindness add love.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Lighthearted's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2016
    Age
    47
    Posts
    976
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    You all have heard me tell you that my daughter is gay. My job is to love her because I'm her mother. Bottom line. The rest of this issue is a mess only God Almighty is ever going to fix to His satisfaction. A battle like ALL, that He has already won.
    Is your Jesus light shining?

  3. #43
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy379 View Post
    Are you sure we are all in agreement? We may have people who call themselves Christian, that divorced for reasons other than adultery, and married someone else.

    I'm pretty sure most everyone would be in agreement that adultery is morally wrong.

    I don't not think that magically stops all christians from engaging in it.

  4. #44
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy379 View Post
    Are you sure we are all in agreement? We may have people who call themselves Christian, that divorced for reasons other than adultery, and married someone else.

    I also think this is an odd response.


    As soon as I disagreed with you about a thing,
    your first move was to redefine that thing with a a very controversial, non-standard definition, to give yourself a new edge in the argument...

    meaning you probably knew you couldn't defend your original position.


    Tommy,
    I like you just fine,
    but if you want to state propositions as if they're absolute facts,
    then you should expect someone to challenge you on them.
    willfollowsGod likes this.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2017
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    I don't believe that marriage is only a Christian practice. If two gay people wish to get married hew is that an offense to Christians? Media that portray gay people in normal society is doing just that showing a segment of society. Why is that offensive? Elton John has been popular for 40 years, its no secret he is gay . I don't see any need to run for cover when we hear a song on the radio. Should we?

  6. #46
    Idiot in Chief Oncefallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2011
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,696
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude653 View Post
    Imagine a couple who has been together for years and one of them passes. Marriage gives the the surviving spouse legal right to all the assets they built together. Same-sex couples should have that same right
    They can (and always have been) able do that without marriage, just the same as anyone else. I can (if I chose) assign my assets to whomever I choose via a will or trust. I can assign medical and end of life decisions to whomever I choose via simple legal documents.

    Some crackpots have left their entire estate to their pets rather than their children.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Waggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,701
    Rep Power
    88

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Musicus View Post
    But thankfully my church doesn't ban homosexuals any more than they ban smokers, alcoholics, drug abusers, or adulterers or any other sinners.
    Yes, we welcome in sinners and unbelievers with joy.
    Then we share the gospel of salvation with them, and preach how they can
    be born new through repentance from dead works followed by water and
    Holy Spirit baptism.
    A new life, and becoming a new person in Christ Jesus by the power of the
    indwelling Holy Spirit.

    But the unsaved will never come to repentance and seek salvation if they do
    not recognize or admit to their sinful nature.
    The gospel is not about people remaining in their sins but dying to sin and
    then living to righteousness through the Holy Spirit.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,858
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Dude,

    You're creating a straw man argument; that is NOT the general narrative of right-wing Christians.

    The general narrative of right-wing Christians is:
    homosexuals should have the SAME CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS AS EVERYONE ELSE, and they should NOT HAVE "SPECIAL RIGHTS" AS A PROTECTED MINORITY.



    This is such an emotionally charged, hot-button topic that I'm just tired of even talking about it.
    The Narrative are here for most Christians is that allowing same-sex couples to marry if somehow taking something away from Christians or it's a threat to the sanctity of marriage. Marriage actually predates Christianity so if you're going to use this argument then you have to disallow atheist from getting married as well..
    The argument that same-sex marriage is somehow a threat to my marriage is just not a valid argument.
    Zi likes this.
    We're all Negan

  9. #49
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Dude,

    Although I fully support your right to state your thoughts, and be upset...
    I still think you''re mischaracterizing your opposition's view.

    And just now, you specifically shifted our little conversation from "gay rights" as a GENERAL ISSUE to "gay marriage" which is a SPECIFIC ISSUE. Two things which are different are not the same. This mean you moved the goal post right in the middle of our conversation.

    So if you feel my response was incorrect regarding gay marriage, that's because you and I WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT GAY MARRIAGE, we were talking about the much broader issue of gay rights in general.



    Now, I think you're a nice guy, and I'm just gong to assume you've been distracted today, and didn't realize you were sort of switching the topic, and that it wasn't intentional.

    Please stay focused so we can fight properly, lol.
    willfollowsGod and Demi777 like this.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2017
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Gay marriage is part of this conversation.
    Dude653 likes this.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,609
    Rep Power
    157

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    I also think this is an odd response.


    As soon as I disagreed with you about a thing,
    your first move was to redefine that thing with a a very controversial, non-standard definition, to give yourself a new edge in the argument...

    meaning you probably knew you couldn't defend your original position.


    Tommy,
    I like you just fine,
    but if you want to state propositions as if they're absolute facts,
    then you should expect someone to challenge you on them.
    Maxwel, I love you, but your eye may have betrayed you.

    It is not settled among Christians, that adultery is wrong.

    We have people who call themselves Christian, and may well be, that have divorced for reasons other than adultery. Many of these people who have divorced, have gone on to marry someone else. I can remember encountering many on this site, and every minister I have known, will perform these weddings.

    These Christians and ministers either:
    Believe Jesus was lying or the bible is wrong about divorce and marriage to another, or
    Adultery is ok.

    This may be an argument for another thread, but I don't think it's universally accepted.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  12. #52
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,609
    Rep Power
    157

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    The homo marriage argument could be settled by repealing all marriage laws.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  13. #53
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Embankment View Post
    Gay marriage is part of this conversation.

    Gay marriage was not part of the specific conversation I was having with Dude.

  14. #54
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy379 View Post
    Maxwel, I love you, but your eye may have betrayed you.

    It is not settled among Christians, that adultery is wrong.

    We have people who call themselves Christian, and may well be, that have divorced for reasons other than adultery. Many of these people who have divorced, have gone on to marry someone else. I can remember encountering many on this site, and every minister I have known, will perform these weddings.

    These Christians and ministers either:
    Believe Jesus was lying or the bible is wrong about divorce and marriage to another, or
    Adultery is ok.

    This may be an argument for another thread, but I don't think it's universally accepted.

    Tommy,
    this is a very interesting response,
    and it may contain some valid points,
    but it doesn't specifically rebut any of my propositions in post #44.

    And are you making fun of my eye?

    What's up with that?

    A lot of women go for the cyclops look... it's very trendy in some places.
    willfollowsGod and Tommy379 like this.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,858
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Dude,

    Although I fully support your right to state your thoughts, and be upset...
    I still think you''re mischaracterizing your opposition's view.

    And just now, you specifically shifted our little conversation from "gay rights" as a GENERAL ISSUE to "gay marriage" which is a SPECIFIC ISSUE. Two things which are different are not the same. This mean you moved the goal post right in the middle of our conversation.

    So if you feel my response was incorrect regarding gay marriage, that's because you and I WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT GAY MARRIAGE, we were talking about the much broader issue of gay rights in general.



    Now, I think you're a nice guy, and I'm just gong to assume you've been distracted today, and didn't realize you were sort of switching the topic, and that it wasn't intentional.

    Please stay focused so we can fight properly, lol.
    Exactly what rights are we referring to here?
    I don't think any demographic of people should have anymore or any fewer rights than any other.
    We're all Negan

  16. #56
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude653 View Post
    Exactly what rights are we referring to here?
    I don't think any demographic of people should have anymore or any fewer rights than any other.
    Dude, my friend, please check your PMs.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,858
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Embankment View Post
    I don't believe that marriage is only a Christian practice. If two gay people wish to get married hew is that an offense to Christians? Media that portray gay people in normal society is doing just that showing a segment of society. Why is that offensive? Elton John has been popular for 40 years, its no secret he is gay . I don't see any need to run for cover when we hear a song on the radio. Should we?
    Honestly I don't understand why most Christians are so threatened about homosexuality. You know why I'm not threatened by homosexuality? Because I know I'm not gay.
    To be honest I feel more threatened ny militant Christians who can't seem to comprehend the fact that not everyone thinks like them and not everyone is interested in the Bible or Christianity. That's the same mentality that breeds terrorists
    We're all Negan

  18. #58
    Senior Member AuntieAnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2016
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,646
    Rep Power
    198

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Embankment View Post
    It is understandable that most Christians think that homosexuality is wrong according to the scriptures. However, homosexual people do exist in great numbers in this country. Do they have rights that should be protected?
    I know our flesh impulsively labels people into catagories, but the Lord tells us not to judge according to the flesh anymore. No flesh is justifed in God's sight, not even those we think are acceptable. So in Christ, all men and women are equal and should have equal rights.

    I didn’t see a temple in the city because the Lord God All-Mighty and the Lamb are its Temple. The city didn’t have need for the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the Glory of God gave it light; the Lamb is the Light.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,609
    Rep Power
    157

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Tommy,
    this is a very interesting response,
    and it may contain some valid points,
    but it doesn't specifically rebut any of my propositions in post #44.

    And are you making fun of my eye?

    What's up with that?

    A lot of women go for the cyclops look... it's very trendy in some places.
    The only thing I can spot on post 44 that I didn't address is; I don't mind being challenged, I'm not a douche bag.

    I've been making thinly veiled sexual advances at women on this site for two years, all I had to do was poke an eye out.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  20. #60
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: The politics of Gay rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy379 View Post
    The only thing I can spot on post 44 that I didn't address is; I don't mind being challenged, I'm not a douche bag.

    I've been making thinly veiled sexual advances at women on this site for two years, all I had to do was poke an eye out.

    This thread is about gay rights....

    are we allowed to talk about making heterosexual advances toward women?



    And ... no... you did not address all my issues, lol.

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gun rights - for or against?
    By LeonT in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 316
    Last Post: July 4th, 2017, 04:52 PM
  2. NICE! No Politics Thread NICE! VERY NICE! No Politics.
    By Tintin in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: April 27th, 2016, 06:58 AM
  3. Is it about gay rights...or is it about something else?
    By Sirk in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 12th, 2015, 10:42 PM
  4. What are our rights?
    By JesusFreek in forum Christian Teens Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 7th, 2013, 08:31 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2012, 06:07 AM