Results 1 to 13 of 13

Christian News Forum

Share the latest news (world news, local news, current events, etc.) with your Christian friends right here, and give or get a Christian perspective on it.

Thread: STOP KONY

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bushido8000's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    360
    Rep Power
    3

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jordache's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,829
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    My friend is buying the kit and I'm getting the 2nd bracelet. I was in Africa last summer. In the video the boy talked about his brother being killed with a panga. While I was in Africa, there was a group of teenage girls who really didn't like me. Because of issues with apartheid, the lighter you are, the more "valuable" you are. Well, I'm white and these girls chased me with the panga. If you've never seen a panga, it's like a machete without a handle. They use it to chop their way through the bush.

  3. #3
    AnandaHya
    Guest

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    I heard about this on NPR today while driving home from school. they said that its kind of out dated, though there are others issues popping up all the time....

    here is the article:

    Fact Checking The 'Kony 2012' Viral Video : NPR

    ONVAN: You mentioned, as you said, that the film makes very, very passing reference to the fact that Kony is no longer actually in Uganda. I want to play a moment from the film where, again, the reference to the fact that the situation has improved in Uganda is made most glancingly(ph).

    (SOUNDBITE OF VIDEO, "KONY 2012")

    RUSSELL: As the LRA began to move into other countries, Jacob and other Ugandans came to the U.S. to speak on behalf of all people suffering because of Kony. Even though Uganda was relatively safe, they felt compelled to tell the world that Kony was still out there and had to be stopped.

    DONVAN: So technically, there's a reference to the fact that Uganda is relatively safe. But as you say, in 30 minutes, I think that's it. I think that's the single reference to the fact that the portrait of this mad man running around Uganda is outdated.

  4. #4
    AnandaHya
    Guest

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordache View Post
    While I was in Africa, there was a group of teenage girls who really didn't like me. Because of issues with apartheid, the lighter you are, the more "valuable" you are. Well, I'm white and these girls chased me with the panga. If you've never seen a panga, it's like a machete without a handle. They use it to chop their way through the bush.
    that is awful, i'm glad you made it out alive.



    I would check to see where the funds are going before buying the bracelet or the kit.

  5. #5
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordache View Post
    My friend is buying the kit and I'm getting the 2nd bracelet. I was in Africa last summer. In the video the boy talked about his brother being killed with a panga. While I was in Africa, there was a group of teenage girls who really didn't like me. Because of issues with apartheid, the lighter you are, the more "valuable" you are. Well, I'm white and these girls chased me with the panga. If you've never seen a panga, it's like a machete without a handle. They use it to chop their way through the bush.

    I wonder if the people who were deceived by this movement are now feeling embarrassed by the Jason Russell incident? Jesus said "Thou Shalt Not Kill." Yet well meaning "Christians" think that the USA exists to provide Divine Justice on planet earth. Somehow the USA, the U.N. and NATO are above God's Law, I guess.
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

  6. #6
    Senior Member RachelBibleStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,136
    Rep Power
    15

    Lightbulb Re: STOP KONY

    isaiah 58:6..."Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?"
    Rachel

    **i am no longer posting in threads that get longer than ten pages**

  7. #7
    djness
    Guest

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionTime View Post

    I wonder if the people who were deceived by this movement are now feeling embarrassed by the Jason Russell incident? Jesus said "Thou Shalt Not Kill." Yet well meaning "Christians" think that the USA exists to provide Divine Justice on planet earth. Somehow the USA, the U.N. and NATO are above God's Law, I guess.
    Umm.....Ethnic cleansing...civil wars...Thousands , hundreds of thousands, millions of people killed around the world having nothing to do with the USA

    But yah...the USA...sleeps with the Devil cause America is a prostitute

    Seriously...what is with the hate against the USA...

    Why don't you go over there and tell the people ''thou shall not kill'', I bet you look real good hanging from a post.

    You have no clue about the world.
    Last edited by djness; March 17th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelBibleStudent View Post
    isaiah 58:6..."Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?"
    I am shocked that anyone would equate "starting a war" as God's method of fasting.
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

  9. #9
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by djness View Post
    Umm.....Ethnic cleansing...civil wars...Thousands , hundreds of thousands, millions of people killed around the world having nothing to do with the USA

    But yah...the USA...sleeps with the Devil cause America is a prostitute

    Seriously...what is with the hate against the USA...

    Why don't you go over there and tell the people ''thou shall not kill'', I bet you look real good hanging from a post.

    You have no clue about the world.

    The USA has turned it's back on what made it great. It was the liberty that your Constitution gave to you and your fellow citizens that made your country great. But you have given up the advice of your founders and have decided to police the world. That's why you are hated. If the Chinese invaded America would you not hate them?

    But my country isn't much better because we typically walk hand in hand with the USA. The enemy is the UN, which has no respect for national sovereignty. Your presidents fly the UN flag, not the American flag.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uryci...eature=related
    Last edited by QuestionTime; March 18th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

  10. #10
    Senior Member RachelBibleStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,136
    Rep Power
    15

    Thumbs down Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionTime View Post
    I am shocked that anyone would equate "starting a war" as God's method of fasting.
    nobody said anything about starting a war...stop making false accusations...
    Rachel

    **i am no longer posting in threads that get longer than ten pages**

  11. #11
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelBibleStudent View Post
    nobody said anything about starting a war...stop making false accusations...
    Click the Link: Obama orders U.S. troops to help chase down African 'army' leader - CNN

    You didn't say anything about starting a war, but the people behind Jason Russell have that goal in mind. He is just a puppet to gain popular opinion.

    The article is a joke too, the soldiers are going to "chase down" Kony but they won't shoot unless shot at first. Yeah right.
    Last edited by QuestionTime; March 18th, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

  12. #12
    Senior Member RachelBibleStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,136
    Rep Power
    15

    Thumbs down Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionTime View Post
    Click the Link: Obama orders U.S. troops to help chase down African 'army' leader - CNN

    You didn't say anything about starting a war, but the people behind Jason Russell have that goal in mind. He is just a puppet to gain popular opinion.

    The article is a joke too, the soldiers are going to "chase down" Kony but they won't shoot unless shot at first. Yeah right.
    sending 100 soldiers to a country that -invited- them is not 'starting a war'

    jason russell and invisible children are not puppets of anyone... groups like his have been independently appearing at colleges all over the country for the past several years as students have tried to raise awareness of humanitarian crises around the world... i was a member of a similar group in college...we had nobody 'behind us' except for one professor...and we got our funding by going around campus with plastic jars asking other students for money... i actually remember my organization having some communication with invisible children back when they were just a few students at another college who were making a video...

    to say that invisible children is a front for some agenda to invade africa is insane...not to mention a false accusation...

    if you -really- want to know who is a puppet...find out more about your hero's biggest campaign donor... ron paul's sugar daddy is a german billionaire homosexual and bilderburg group member who has funded federal lawsuits in favor of gay marriage and wrote in 2009 that he 'no longer believes that freedom and democracy are compatible'...and that is just the tip of the iceberg...

    and evidently military rules of engagement are also on the long list of things you have shown yourself to be ignorant about in the past couple of days...
    Rachel

    **i am no longer posting in threads that get longer than ten pages**

  13. #13
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: STOP KONY

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelBibleStudent View Post
    if you -really- want to know who is a puppet...find out more about your hero's biggest campaign donor... ron paul's sugar daddy is a german billionaire homosexual and bilderburg group member who has funded federal lawsuits in favor of gay marriage and wrote in 2009 that he 'no longer believes that freedom and democracy are compatible'...and that is just the tip of the iceberg...

    and evidently military rules of engagement are also on the long list of things you have shown yourself to be ignorant about in the past couple of days...
    Ron Paul's voting record stands as solid proof that he does not change - regardless of who gives him money - he won't change his opinion or stance. But I don't understand what you are trying to achieve by telling me this. At the very worst, your comment could prove that Ron Paul is just as bad as every other politician running for President. It would prove no more than that, but I don't believe it even proves that much.

    Ron Paul plans to cut taxes left and right. Why wouldn't big business support him? That's one of the most interesting questions I've ever seen the media ask Ron Paul. Corporations should want Ron Paul because he plans to cut taxes.

    Also, the US is going hunting for Kony, just like the police in New York go hunting for innocent protesters. You can believe the lies that the protesters did something to deserve it, and you can believe the lies that the US isn't going to shoot first. I've learned not to believe everything that I am told.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSbDg7j22w
    Last edited by QuestionTime; March 21st, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."