Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree21Likes

Christian News Forum

Share the latest news (world news, local news, current events, etc.) with your Christian friends right here, and give or get a Christian perspective on it.

Thread: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2012
    Age
    64
    Posts
    532
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Farmers Told To Buy Insurance If They Don’t Want To Get Sued By Corporations

    By Aviva Shen on Nov 21, 2012 at 9:00 am
    Every year for the past 13 years, biotechnology giant Monsanto Company has sued about 11 farmers per year for patent infringement of their genetically modified corn and soybean seeds. Many of these farmers have had to pay a settlement to the corporation even when their fields were accidentally contaminated with GM seeds from a neighboring farm. Monsanto simply outspends the defendants, dedicating $10 million a year and 75 staffers for the sole purpose of investigating and prosecuting farmers. Farmers who have sued Monsanto back have been soundly defeated.
    Monsanto is likely to continue this winning streak with an assist from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which released a final report Monday absolving the biotech industry of contamination of non-GM seeds with their products from other fields. The USDA report concludes that organic and other non-GM farmers should simply buy insurance to protect against GMO contamination.
    Essentially, Monsanto can sue these farmers all they want for patent infringement, but they are immune to challenges from organic farmers whose products are contaminated by GMOs.




    It seems entirely unfair to me at least. One way contamination and the blame is always on the recipient not the one who spread the seeds.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BarlyGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,572
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Quote Originally Posted by celestemekent View Post
    Farmers Told To Buy Insurance If They Don’t Want To Get Sued By Corporations

    By Aviva Shen on Nov 21, 2012 at 9:00 am
    Every year for the past 13 years, biotechnology giant Monsanto Company has sued about 11 farmers per year for patent infringement of their genetically modified corn and soybean seeds. Many of these farmers have had to pay a settlement to the corporation even when their fields were accidentally contaminated with GM seeds from a neighboring farm. Monsanto simply outspends the defendants, dedicating $10 million a year and 75 staffers for the sole purpose of investigating and prosecuting farmers. Farmers who have sued Monsanto back have been soundly defeated.
    Monsanto is likely to continue this winning streak with an assist from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which released a final report Monday absolving the biotech industry of contamination of non-GM seeds with their products from other fields. The USDA report concludes that organic and other non-GM farmers should simply buy insurance to protect against GMO contamination.
    Essentially, Monsanto can sue these farmers all they want for patent infringement, but they are immune to challenges from organic farmers whose products are contaminated by GMOs.




    It seems entirely unfair to me at least. One way contamination and the blame is always on the recipient not the one who spread the seeds.

    UNFAIR, UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND MANIPULATION OF THE LEGAL TORTE SYSTEM.
    Thanx for sharing celeste, this is one of my pet topics... GMO's

  3. #3
    AgeofKnowledge
    Guest

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    That was a good article. It's important for people to understand how trans-nationals are wielding their new found political power in this country against the citizenry. Lawfare is a good example.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2012
    Age
    64
    Posts
    532
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Saving seeds from one harvest to plant the next years crop is standard practice for thousands of years. But when a farmer buys Monsanto's genetically manipulated seeds that practice is considered stealing! Monsanto depends upon selling seeds every year and if the farmers follow that practice Monsanto would end up without the money it needs to develop new seeds. In court cases it is considered patent infringement. If a farmer chooses to stop using Monsanto seeds they have to go through major changes to avoid a Monsanto lawsuit. Essentially they have to choose an entirely different crop. Because like it or not growing the same type of crop will actually have some minor amount of the GM plants in their fields regardless of how they may try to prevent it.

    Monsanto has what it claims are genetically superior seeds. Less affected by insects, and drought, these seeds produce good crops regularly under conditions that most crops would fail. (But it is frankly impossible to prove.) Monsanto spends huge amounts of money developing their GM seeds and they depend upon having year after year of new seed purchased by farmers to keep their research going.

    Regardless of your attitude about the nutritional value of GM crops or even of their sustainability there is no visible difference between GM crops and regular non-GM crops. Up until the 1980's it was only the universities and government agriculturalists who decided which seeds would be planted. New seed lines were offered as part of a government program funded by government grants and the practice of saving seeds was no problem at all. But soon after Monsanto chose to enter this field of study they began making farmers sign contracts when they bought seeds, and while the crops may belong to the farmer the seeds belonged to Monsanto. So far the courts have agreed and time after time when Monsanto sues a farmer, they win. In fact as of yet they have not lost one of these suits.

  5. #5
    Senior Member BarlyGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,572
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Quote Originally Posted by celestemekent View Post
    Saving seeds from one harvest to plant the next years crop is standard practice for thousands of years. But when a farmer buys Monsanto's genetically manipulated seeds that practice is considered stealing! Monsanto depends upon selling seeds every year and if the farmers follow that practice Monsanto would end up without the money it needs to develop new seeds. In court cases it is considered patent infringement. If a farmer chooses to stop using Monsanto seeds they have to go through major changes to avoid a Monsanto lawsuit. Essentially they have to choose an entirely different crop. Because like it or not growing the same type of crop will actually have some minor amount of the GM plants in their fields regardless of how they may try to prevent it.

    Monsanto has what it claims are genetically superior seeds. Less affected by insects, and drought, these seeds produce good crops regularly under conditions that most crops would fail. (But it is frankly impossible to prove.) Monsanto spends huge amounts of money developing their GM seeds and they depend upon having year after year of new seed purchased by farmers to keep their research going.

    Regardless of your attitude about the nutritional value of GM crops or even of their sustainability there is no visible difference between GM crops and regular non-GM crops. Up until the 1980's it was only the universities and government agriculturalists who decided which seeds would be planted. New seed lines were offered as part of a government program funded by government grants and the practice of saving seeds was no problem at all. But soon after Monsanto chose to enter this field of study they began making farmers sign contracts when they bought seeds, and while the crops may belong to the farmer the seeds belonged to Monsanto. So far the courts have agreed and time after time when Monsanto sues a farmer, they win. In fact as of yet they have not lost one of these suits.
    Sorry but ther post reads like fact... though I know it is opinion.
    THe monsanto lawsuits are patent infringement but not because farmers are "STEALING", rather the GMO strains are POLLUTING the NON-GMO seed stores. YEs Monsanto wins because they have more money... it is strategic and intentional... the purpose is tho put small farmers our of business.

    THE is a significant difference between a plant_breeding and GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM. GMO is often refferred to as FRANKENFOOD as these plant varieties have genes from other organisms spiced into them... this is not only "playing GOD" but there is emerging research to demonstrate these phoods are not safe for consumption. The seed is patented and identifiable because of the frankenstien genetic coding... which is identifiable in any DNA analysis.

    I care where my food comes from... I try to eat healthy... I want my food to be the food GOD created... not the geneticlly altered freak phood monsanto is peddling.
    webchatter likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2010
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Monsanto is a monster.
    webchatter and BarlyGurl like this.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2012
    Age
    64
    Posts
    532
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    So far I have yet to read of any evidence that the GM food is bad for human consumption. Our digestive tracts is infinitely adjustable and we can digest thousands of different things including insects.

    I have issues about anyone patenting genetic material of any kind and that applies to medical applications as well as plant genes. There are benefits for adapting certain species to different conditions and as long as it is public knowledge I don't see any problems with it. Making profit from such basic research is IMHO wrong.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zeroturbulence's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2009
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,196
    Blog Entries
    20
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Quote Originally Posted by celestemekent View Post
    So far I have yet to read of any evidence that the GM food is bad for human consumption. Our digestive tracts is infinitely adjustable and we can digest thousands of different things including insects.

    I have issues about anyone patenting genetic material of any kind and that applies to medical applications as well as plant genes. There are benefits for adapting certain species to different conditions and as long as it is public knowledge I don't see any problems with it. Making profit from such basic research is IMHO wrong.
    No proof of human dangers yet (that I know of), but cows...maybe..

    In Texas:
    Grass linked to Texas cattle deaths - CBS News

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85P1HU20120626

    In Germany:
    Mysterious Deaths of Cows Fed GE Corn in Germany

    Germany and Central India:
    Cattle, Goats die from eating GMO | Mass Animal Death
    My dad was the greatest dad I could have ever asked for. Thank you, Dad..

    1 Corinthians 15:52 KJV:
    “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

    "
    My heart is so hidden in hamburger grease that a woman has to eat fifty In-n-Out double-doubles to find me....."

  9. #9
    Senior Member BarlyGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,572
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroturbulence View Post
    Zero... how does animals dying from GMO... not translate to equally dangerous for human consumption in your realm of thinking???
    HeavenlyWarrior likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2010
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Most generally when you mess with nature, she wins.

    Genetically modified food is a bad idea.
    HeavenlyWarrior likes this.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2012
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,367
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Celeste,
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    Monsanto is the food controlling monolith of the beast system. Along with Conagra.
    They have something called a terminator gene, which they have imbedded into all their seeds.
    So a farmer has to go back to them (hat in hand), for the next year's supply.
    If this isn't the closest thing to a food supply mark of the beast, I don't know what is.
    Plus GMO's are completely anti-life.
    They call it 'gene splicing' but what it is, is gene blasting.
    They have one certain part of the DNA strand they shoot into the DNA helix. -
    (For pesticide purposes), and the shooting blasts off thousands of parts of the DNA they ascribe as worthless.
    Rats have been fed this GMO and by the third generation they are sterile; as in can't reproduce.
    This is just another reason why I don't support either of the major parties, because they are both in on it.
    Money talks..........; (you know the rest).

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2012
    Age
    37
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Quote Originally Posted by celestemekent View Post
    So far I have yet to read of any evidence that the GM food is bad for human consumption. Our digestive tracts is infinitely adjustable and we can digest thousands of different things including insects.

    I have issues about anyone patenting genetic material of any kind and that applies to medical applications as well as plant genes. There are benefits for adapting certain species to different conditions and as long as it is public knowledge I don't see any problems with it. Making profit from such basic research is IMHO wrong.
    Celeste, you and others sure need to read the article all the way through in the following website from Citizens For Health! Yes, it is THAT important!! There is also a PETITION link at the bottom of the page!

    Will Congress Let Monsanto Write Its Own Rules? - Citizens For Health

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2012
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,367
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Celeste,
    Are you wrong about GMO's too?!
    (I've just never seen someone defending them before.....that wasn't hired out.)
    You say our bodies can adapt?
    The building block of life is the DNA.
    They are modifying the structure of the DNA.
    The helix is damaged.
    Do you understand?
    Rats are rendered sterile by the third generation!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2010
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Quote Originally Posted by RickShafer View Post
    Celeste,
    Are you wrong about GMO's too?!
    (I've just never seen someone defending them before.....that wasn't hired out.)
    You say our bodies can adapt?
    The building block of life is the DNA.
    They are modifying the structure of the DNA.
    The helix is damaged.
    Do you understand?
    Rats are rendered sterile by the third generation!
    I thought she was a liberal... it's strange that she's okay with GMOs...
    webchatter likes this.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2012
    Age
    64
    Posts
    532
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    The whole idea of controlling Monsanto and outlawing GMO is a liberal dream because this is the epitome of what capitalism offers. I am surprised at who the people around here who support regulating such a thing. FWIW I do not support Monsanto, there is no better example of predator capitalism than Monsanto.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Monsanto is horrible, and it's common sense that eating genetically modified foods is bad for you, it changes your DNA which leads to a slew of health issues.. weren't prone to cancer? Well you might be now, have some more corn.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2012
    Age
    62
    Posts
    373
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    I thought Monsanto sued 200 farmers per year in the U.S. alone. Monsanto only sues farmers who DON'T buy seed from Monsanto. They also make roundup & put it in the dna of the food at your grocery store, & when the farmers grow it, roundup won't kill the plant, just everything else. Isn't that handy? There are MILLIONS of problems because of this.
    1- Monsanto has the name & address of all their customers. They hire field inspectors to drive around & check locally to see how the monsanto seed is doing, & LOOK FOR A PLANTED FIELD THAT IS NOT ON MONSANTO'S LIST OF BUYERS. If that farmer who isn't buying Monsanto seed, also has a silo or grain bin, he is probably saving his own seed.
    2-A farmer saving his own seed is a threat to Monsanto for several reasons. Monsanto has talked the feds into allowing them to patent their seed. Monsanto is about to own all the food in the u.s, mexico, & canada= the entire continent. Although they have also sued in canada, they did lose 1 case. Monsanto, about 10 yrs ago, bought the largest natural seed bank in the world, in mexico, & destroyed it. What is used from that seed bank is for adding roundup, etc to the dna God made. There is no law in the US against saving your own seed, but farmers may start to sell their own seed or apply for a patent, so monsanto will legally cause them to lose the farm in court costs if they don't stop saving their seed.
    3-one company owning all the patened food could easily cause famine.
    4- roundup causes cancer & already has killed a lot of bees. No bees = no food except meat. When the cattle eats the roundup geneticaly modified food they die. When we eat the cattle we get cancer or something real bad.
    5-France has outlawed roundup yrs ago.
    6- watch the movie-" Life according to monsanto" on youtube
    7-Monsanto, & a lot of other major businesses, contribute to both the republican & democrat presidential candidates & congress, so that they get laws & patents passed in their favor, & it works.
    8-Voting democrat or republican is therefore not ever going to solve any big business monopoly or problem.
    9- Children in mexico following their parents to work in the fields where roundup was used, have deformities on the soles of their feet afterwards.
    10- Monsanto has also used frog genes in dna of our food.
    11-I saw another documentary where the legal documents were shown, & here's the end. The farmer sued by monsanto lost his generational farm, as did the other farmers in the area. It was proven in court that the wind blew the monsanto seed off a neighbor's truck, into the sued farmer's field.These seeds sprouted & grew large near a telephone pole.The farmer didn't want it contaminating his crop & used roundup to get rid of it & it wouldn't die, but the weeds around it did. Monsanto inspector also noticed rape seed plant growing around pole which looked different than farmer's field of rape seed plant.& they sued.(farmer wasn't on list of monsanto buyers).The court said a natural act of the wind is not reason to allow monsanto patened food to grow on his property. Payup!! farmer lost the farm.
    12- rape seed is turned into canola oil. So maybe you think canola oil is safe. Try to fiind a farmer who grows his own rape seed ,(not from maonsanto), & make your own canola oil.
    13-The FDA , president, or congress, will not allow us to know which food in the grocery store has round up in it's dna, or been modified genetically.
    14-Roundup label professes it does not contaminate the soil. Scientists discovered it stays in the ground for 5 yrs so far. ( as long as the test has been going on ). So you cannot even plant food that has it's God given genes ,in that soil & be safe!!!
    15- Even though the Bible says wheat is good for us, there is no pure God made wheat on earth.(one scientist's opinion, don't know his name).
    LOL don't get me started. sorry so long. I use coconut oil to fry, saute, & use as eye makeup remover, lotion etc. It has curative powers such as antimicrobial, antibacterial, antifungal. It is good for the skin because it is anticomodemic. (is that the right word?). I buy extra virgin organic cold pressed for the skin, & "Louana" , found at wal mart for cooking. Anyone with alzheimer's should take a TBL. every morning of organic extra virgin coconut oil. MONSANTO IS A LIAR, & they kill & they know it. If there was ever a business who was more interested in power & control than money, this is them.

  18. #18
    Senior Member BarlyGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,572
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    [QUOTE=webchatter;841413]

    Awwwww.... my kindred friend... hugs!!!
    webchatter likes this.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    Have any of you watched Food Inc.?

  20. #20
    Senior Member BarlyGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,572
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Monsanto's genetically modified crops

    can we change the thread title to MONSATAN'S genetically modified crops???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast