Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
Like Tree224Likes

Christian Poems & Poetry

Inspired poet? Share your inspirations here! :)

Thread: What is Love?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,074
    Rep Power
    485

    Default What is Love?

    I am new here, having just joined earlier today I am a born again believer since 2004; the following poem I wrote in 1988.


    I'm so confused
    What did I do?
    The Bible says I'm evil.
    Have I lived most of my life
    In the grips of the devil?

    Why was this?
    I think I know:
    Insecurity had me in it's throes.
    Love I was afraid to show
    And so I lived in darkness.

    But what is evil?
    Self esteem?
    Following your heart-felt dreams?

    Surely God on glorious high
    Takes no delight to see me cry.

    His love for me I must believe
    Because of Him we were conceived;
    Love is where I long to be
    And so live in His likeness.

    But what is love?
    Does anyone know
    Just what it is
    We're supposed to show?

    What kind?
    How much?
    Where does it go?
    Who determines our love's flow?

    Are we really in control
    When sitting at the wheel?
    For reason still eludes me
    When I think on how I feel.

    Are we the same?
    Are we to blame?
    What forces shape our lives?

    Science looks for answers
    While our spirits we deprive.





  2. #2
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,074
    Rep Power
    485

    Default Re: What is Love?

    *
    The present is too pressing
    Somehow I must escape
    The barren arid dreariness
    Of love's lost hope landscape

    The landmarks seem familiar
    Though viewed as through a haze
    For I have been here times before
    In younger carefree days

    Yonder see the quicksand
    Where my élan now drowns
    Careful lest you get too close
    Its boundaries are unknown

    The shiftless sands of time are there
    Awaiting my mis-step
    Its placid grey indifference
    Belie the perilous depths

    Devoid horizons crouch to swell
    The searing grit that blasts
    The tumbleweeds of haloed dreams
    We dug up from the past

    But look! A cactus flower
    How soft and sweet its leaves
    Of blood red blending into pinks
    And white of purity

    I've caressed these blossoms and
    Have showered them with tears
    Inhaled their fragrant rare essence
    Because your face they mirrored

    Now embracing spiny thorns
    They sting and injure me
    My mind reels from the poison
    Still my heart I cannot free

    Written by Magenta in 1988






    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,422
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: What is Love?

    so very beautifully expressed, gifted to say the least...
    Magenta, Ultimatum77, OwzK and 5 others like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,074
    Rep Power
    485

    Default Re: What is Love?

    *
    I tried to shield this heart from love
    To spare myself the pain
    Forlorn indeed I fell
    And this endeavor wrought my shame

    Because I could not face the depth
    Of feelings you inspired
    I ran away
    How could I know
    I'd burn in hell's vile fires?

    I tried to pick the pieces up
    . Abyssmal
    . . . Broken
    . .. . . Charred
    A semblance of normality
    I worked for very hard

    Thusly mired I struggled
    Both to end and attain flight
    Striving to excise the wound
    And cease my despaired plight

    But always irrevocably
    Your image came to bear
    My being strained to fill the void
    With love I could not share

    Ever present buried deep
    Within my tortured soul
    My love lay pining hidden from
    A world which seemed so cold

    How could I have so erred in life
    To plainly lose my way
    Ignoring my emotive will
    Keeping my self at bay

    By thinking I'd be happy
    In fulfilling others' hearts
    Relentless death crept on me
    And eclipsed my vital spark

    Written by Magenta in 1988







    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  5. #5
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,351
    Rep Power
    261

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post


    Surely God on glorious high
    Takes no delight to see me cry.

    You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book? (Ps 56:8)

    this has comforted me times beyond counting. ♥

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,422
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: What is Love?

    your heart's desire to understand His Love and feel His Holy Sacrifice,
    and then yearn how to live and walk it...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,074
    Rep Power
    485

    Default Re: What is Love?

    *
    Time slips in and fades away
    To memories of yesterdays'
    Monumental moments moving
    Melting through my mind
    Emotions thrashing
    Wrestling motion
    Whilst I crash through time.

    Illustrious illusions shatter
    .Shimmer
    Sheltering a dream
    As time moves on
    To make its mark
    That's never as it seems.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,422
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: What is Love?

    AMEN!
    ================================================== ======

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lenardzw's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2015
    Age
    48
    Posts
    420
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    *
    I tried to shield this heart from love
    To spare myself the pain
    Forlorn indeed I fell
    And this endeavor wrought my shame

    Because I could not face the depth
    Of feelings you inspired
    I ran away
    How could I know
    I'd burn in hell's vile fires?

    I tried to pick the pieces up
    . Abyssmal
    . . . Broken
    . .. . . Charred
    A semblance of normality
    I worked for very hard

    Thusly mired I struggled
    Both to end and attain flight
    Striving to excise the wound
    And cease my despaired plight

    But always irrevocably
    Your image came to bear
    My being strained to fill the void
    With love I could not share

    Ever present buried deep
    Within my tortured soul
    My love lay pining hidden from
    A world which seemed so cold

    How could I have so erred in life
    To plainly lose my way
    Ignoring my emotive will
    Keeping my self at bay

    By thinking I'd be happy
    In fulfilling others' hearts
    Relentless death crept on me
    And eclipsed my vital spark

    Written by Magenta in 1988


    Wow! #speechless

  10. #10
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,074
    Rep Power
    485

    Default Re: What is Love?

    *
    I stood before you
    Stipped of the last lingering vestiges
    Of dignity and grace
    Which were my youth and innocence
    Gone!
    To shield me no more

    Am I safe?

    I have seen the dark
    Did see into the darkness and
    Could not run from myself
    In the mockingly hideous face of fear
    Whose goading grins
    Of loathing and pity
    So shamed me into believing
    That it was I that I saw
    Reflected

    In wretched words
    Whose cold reverbs
    Shall battle and wrest
    Til the core of my breast
    Lay asunder
    Unanswered
    Nor stilled by pain's ambush
    In ebbing retreat

    Written by Magenta


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  11. #11
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,074
    Rep Power
    485

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Stipped? *inwardly cringes* It was supposed to be "stripped."


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  12. #12
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,074
    Rep Power
    485

    Default Re: What is Love?

    *
    Spider weaves his web and waits

    In watchful wary silence
    The prey's in sight
    And coming closer
    He can almost taste it

    Victory is his he knows
    For he can bide his time
    He knows revenge is sweet
    When there's a victim on the line

    And wait he has
    So long he's had to wait
    To claim this trophy

    Wove endless rays
    Of welcoming warmth
    With which to trap his quarry

    There's no escaping
    Once you're fixed

    On flaxen filaments

    Of wordless waxing wondrous wires
    Wrapped 'round your heart's content

    Silken soothing Oh! so smooth
    And sumptuous a
    re the strings
    That draw me ever onward
    To the font of my love's spring

    Enraptured creature hypnotised
    'Neath Spider's guarded gaze
    Caught up beyond redemption
    In this most mysterious maze

    Spider contemplates his ploy
    How best to recompense?

    Suspended wearied waiting too
    The bloodshed shall commence

    Written by Magenta


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  13. #13
    Galatea
    Guest

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    *
    Spider weaves his web and waits

    In watchful wary silence
    The prey's in sight
    And coming closer
    He can almost taste it

    Victory is his he knows
    For he can bide his time
    He knows revenge is sweet
    When there's a victim on the line

    And wait he has
    So long he's had to wait
    To claim this trophy

    Wove endless rays
    Of welcoming warmth
    With which to trap his quarry

    There's no escaping
    Once you're fixed

    On flaxen filaments

    Of wordless waxing wondrous wires
    Wrapped 'round your heart's content

    Silken soothing Oh! so smooth
    And sumptuous a
    re the strings
    That draw me ever onward
    To the font of my love's spring

    Enraptured creature hypnotised
    'Neath Spider's guarded gaze
    Caught up beyond redemption
    In this most mysterious maze

    Spider contemplates his ploy
    How best to recompense?

    Suspended wearied waiting too
    The bloodshed shall commence

    Written by Magenta
    This one is scary.

  14. #14
    Senior Member WineRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2017
    Age
    15
    Posts
    3,193
    Rep Power
    114

    Default Re: What is Love?

    *Looks at title*

    Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

    ...Anyway...that's some good stuff. Amen.
    The odd one out on CC, in more ways than one.

    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue.
    This isn't a dating site,
    Sorry to disappoint you.

    :P

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2015
    Age
    31
    Posts
    290
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by WineRose View Post
    *Looks at title*

    Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

    ...Anyway...that's some good stuff. Amen.

    You stole my words!!!!!

  16. #16
    Wild
    Guest

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by WineRose View Post
    *Looks at title*

    Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

    ...Anyway...that's some good stuff. Amen.

  17. #17
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,351
    Rep Power
    261

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    Stipped? *inwardly cringes* It was supposed to be "stripped."
    which is exactly how i read it.

    typo queen, i make 'em and i read 'em. lol

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What is Love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    I am new here, having just joined earlier today I am a born again believer since 2004; the following poem I wrote in 1988.


    I'm so confused
    What did I do?
    The Bible says I'm evil.
    Have I lived most of my life
    In the grips of the devil?
    interesting start and rhyme scheme gere . it works
    Why was this?
    I think I know:
    Insecurity had me in it's throes.
    Love I was afraid to show
    And so I lived in darkness.
    love the three rhymes and then the final line without a rhyme. Really adds umph
    But what is evil?
    Self esteem?
    Following your heart-felt dreams?

    Surely God on glorious high
    Takes no delight to see me cry.

    His love for me I must believe
    Because of Him we were conceived;
    Love is where I long to be
    And so live in His likeness.
    same scheme as before. Well done
    But what is love?
    Does anyone know
    Just what it is
    We're supposed to show?
    great lines here. Flows well
    What kind?
    How much?
    Where does it go?
    Who determines our love's flow?
    I'd rework this. Rhyme is too cliche and sounds forced
    Are we really in control
    When sitting at the wheel?
    For reason still eludes me
    When I think on how I feel.
    great lines
    Are we the same?
    Are we to blame?
    What forces shape our lives?

    Science looks for answers
    While our spirits we deprive.




    I enjoyed your poem. Looking forward to seeing more by you. God bless!

  19. #19
    Senior Member AndTheWordWasGOD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1st, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: What is Love?

    It's very obvious that you have been blessed with an extreme talent and deep emotional understanding. The LORD Jesus our King continue to direct you in His will unto His marvelous Kingdom to come!

    God is Light and in Him is no darkness at all (1Jn 1:5); and yet in His greatness (that we might comprehend His righteousness *in my opinion which really doesn't matter much*) He has formed both the Light and the Darkness (Isa 45:7) in love. Blessed be God most High!

    I've read every thing you've posted in this thread up through today 1/29/2017 and I am left with one question and one comment on the below lines you wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    *
    Yonder see the quicksand
    Where my élan now drowns
    Careful lest you get too close
    Its boundaries are unknown

    Can you please elaborate just a little on élan in the line above? I don't want to assume it simply means enthusiasm; but if so, it is still masterfully worded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post

    The shiftless sands of time are there
    Awaiting my mis-step
    Its placid grey indifference
    Belie the perilous depths

    Written by Magenta in 1988
    Seems like a nice portal alluding down through time resurfacing in the spider's web and the mystery of it's work that I think we can all relate to; though some can relate a little more than others. In this dimension where we have our being today, love seems to be both a blessing and a curse. Thank God for His Son Jesus Christ who has freed us from the curse, so that we can somewhat begin to love as He does!

    Peace be unto you Magenta.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2013
    Age
    45
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What is Love?

    one heart, one change.
    put love out there and believe it's meant to be
    if it does not, do it again, and again.

    to know destiny is...1 destinty leads on to the next, and to the next, and so forth, then,when it's mean to be, both will know it's destiny.
    stonesoffire, Magenta and joefizz like this.
    2018 is the year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. you love wrong love right . no one me i dont love my family.
    By Sose in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 24th, 2016, 01:34 AM
  2. Hey Guys im a new member and I love JESUS and i'd just love to talk with people
    By JesusBoii in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 18th, 2014, 02:04 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 6th, 2014, 09:51 PM
  4. Dear X...you don't own me...love, love, love this song. :)
    By mystdancer50 in forum Christian Music Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 8th, 2013, 01:47 PM
  5. who have LOVE must have real LOVE Like LORD Jesus christ BUT Love have biger than
    By able2013Love in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM