Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree17Likes

Christian Singles Forum

Christian and single? Seek (or give) advice and encouragement here.

Thread: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2017
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Geting into a relationship has been a bit of an issue for me because I'd love to be accepted for who I am and not necessarily for what I have which seem to be what ladies in my sphere of contact are more interested in. My elder brother eventually got married to a lady who initially rejected his proposal because he wasn't well to do at the time but won't let him rest when she saw that all is now well. Mind you, in not talking about an unbeliever here but a tongue-talking, demon-binding believer. My questions are: what happened to the leading of the spirit? What happened to putting Jesus first? What happened to faith? These are the questions that keeps ringing in my heart. Do you agree with this post? Please feel free to share if you think otherwise. And if you don't mind, please share what influences your choice of a marriage partner.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Power
    138

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    yeah im kinda waiting for God to show me if im making the wrong choice by being single and celebate before i look
    ive prayed about it and it seems im to be single at least as of now

    i agree with putting Jesus first


    buuuuut
    i personally (in my head)have a few no-nos i think of when i imagine looking for a woman to be my wife

    id be weary of an unbeliever (seen it cause a lot of hardships and stumbling blocks)
    or
    single mom(assuming she didnt adopt)
    definitely wouldnt go for divorced woman (because of scripture)

    she would have to believe the Word and read it for me to see our relationship could be under God

    if God shows me i should marry ... i dont really see anything else being too much for me to understand

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yeraza_Bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2014
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,582
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    My own personal struggles and past are probly the biggest influence on any possible partner I may have in the future.

    In order for me to be with someone theyd have to be understanding of all that junk. And also a follower of Christ, so that we are on the same page on the issue : p

    Anywho, Id definitely want to be with someone that I relate to and feel comfortable with. It might be possible one day in the future, maybe.
    Pipp likes this.
    I am a strong supporter of followers of Christ who struggle with the lbgt lifestyle. If you are struggling in faith with this like I do, feel free to contact me for support, encouragement or even for a friend. Or to give me your much needed support and encouragement as well

    Do not follow your heart, but guard it.
    (Proverbs 4:23)


    Who is the liar? It is he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. It is the antichrist that denies the Father and the Son.
    1 John 2:22

    Instagram

  4. #4
    Senior Member JosephsDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,657
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    By far the most important factor is if she is a true believer.
    After that, all the typical stuff that determines what attracts us to another person of the opposite sex applies.
    Tinuviel and Dino246 like this.
    Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    John 8:32

    And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    1 Cor. 13:13


    Give ​peas a chance !



  5. #5
    Senior Member Tinuviel's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2015
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,812
    Rep Power
    97

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    I do get what you're saying when you say that people seem to look at the past and judge by that. That's not entirely fair, but at the same time it is sometimes all we have. It is really easy for someone to say "I've changed!" But I don't think it's unbiblical to say, "I believe you did! Now show me." Support them in every way possible but make 'em show they've changed. Not because you're being mean, but because scripture says we'll know someone by their fruits.

    There is no substitute for background. Our background DOES shape who we are, if we agree with it or no. For me, one of the most "unfair" marriage criteria I have is that I would seriously think twice about marrying someone with divorced parents. Not a deal-breaker, but a draw-back.
    NoNameMcgee likes this.
    “If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our dead bodies. And if they perish, let them perish with our arms wrapped about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go unwarned and unprayed for.”
    ~Charles Spurgeon

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yeraza_Bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2014
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,582
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinuviel View Post
    I do get what you're saying when you say that people seem to look at the past and judge by that. That's not entirely fair, but at the same time it is sometimes all we have. It is really easy for someone to say "I've changed!" But I don't think it's unbiblical to say, "I believe you did! Now show me." Support them in every way possible but make 'em show they've changed. Not because you're being mean, but because scripture says we'll know someone by their fruits.

    There is no substitute for background. Our background DOES shape who we are, if we agree with it or no. For me, one of the most "unfair" marriage criteria I have is that I would seriously think twice about marrying someone with divorced parents. Not a deal-breaker, but a draw-back.
    Is this in response to the OP?

    EDIT- Oh blarg, Somehow I thought NoNameMcgees post was the opening post. Nvm : /
    NoNameMcgee likes this.
    I am a strong supporter of followers of Christ who struggle with the lbgt lifestyle. If you are struggling in faith with this like I do, feel free to contact me for support, encouragement or even for a friend. Or to give me your much needed support and encouragement as well

    Do not follow your heart, but guard it.
    (Proverbs 4:23)


    Who is the liar? It is he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. It is the antichrist that denies the Father and the Son.
    1 John 2:22

    Instagram

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,228
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    What influences my choice? So far, nothing. Still single and happy.
    NoNameMcgee likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,480
    Rep Power
    119

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    I think that it is perfectly alright for a woman to not want to be involved with a man with no income. I don't mean women should be golddiggers, but a man who is unemployed, perfectly able to work, yet doesn't work is not ideal marriage material.

    I Timothy 5:8 speaks about men not providing for their families as being "worse than infidels". That is pretty strong language. Even unsaved men provide for their wives and children, how much more so should Christian men?

    The two questions uppermost in my mind would be: Is he saved? Does he have a job?
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  9. #9
    Senior Member JosephsDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,657
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    I am of the mind that people, especially Christians who have the Holy Spirit and the capacity to change (the 12 apostles were mostly a rag tag bunch - look what Christ did for them), deserve to be heard out with an open mind and heart.
    Conversely, certain things, like consistently not having a job, or working 5 different jobs in 7 years, or a history of alcohol or drug problems, more so if they are not clean for at least 5 years, or bad credit, or having been to jail, all need to be intensely considered in prayer before committing to a serious relationship.
    Galatea likes this.
    Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    John 8:32

    And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    1 Cor. 13:13


    Give ​peas a chance !



  10. #10
    Senior Member ChandlerFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2013
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,074
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Sometimes I read thread titles and all I want is to know what Dwight Schrute's answer would be.
    Pipp and Galatea like this.
    "The gospel says you are more sinful and flawed than you ever dared believe, but more accepted and loved than you ever dared hope." - Tim Keller

    "It is the habit, if not the consistent practice of God to pull from the fringes of darkness His brightest lights." - Matt Chandler

    My blog



  11. #11
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,228
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    JosephsDreams about that bad credit, which way does no credit count? I don't borrow a lot, I don't have a credit card, but the only thing I currently owe is for the minivan I got last December. I don't have bad credit but I don't have much credit at all because I don't borrow a lot. Does that fall on the good side or the bad side of the credit issue?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Power
    138

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    JosephsDreams about that bad credit, which way does no credit count? I don't borrow a lot, I don't have a credit card, but the only thing I currently owe is for the minivan I got last December. I don't have bad credit but I don't have much credit at all because I don't borrow a lot. Does that fall on the good side or the bad side of the credit issue?
    its all about ur scores and recent history


    someone used my identity and messed my score up

    just not missing any payments ever its almost good again because the amount of time that passed

    if it was messed up 4 years ago but you payed it off and did nothing else to effect your credit since

    it actually will raise over time

    assuming yours is like mine

    download the app credit karma

    thats how i found out my identity was being used

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,228
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    That doesn't work for me. Nobody has stolen my identity as nobody wants it. I rarely use credit and so I have no credit score. I mean literally, I tried to get a loan for a car and the agent said I did not have a score for him to go by.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Power
    138

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    That doesn't work for me. Nobody has stolen my identity as nobody wants it. I rarely use credit and so I have no credit score. I mean literally, I tried to get a loan for a car and the agent said I did not have a score for him to go by.
    buy stuff cheap on credit like your next couch or bed or grab a credit card and use it for less than 50$ a month but pay it up before its due... fastest way i know of to grow it

    i had the same issue

  15. #15
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    19,075
    Rep Power
    164

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Quote Originally Posted by kros View Post
    Geting into a relationship has been a bit of an issue for me because I'd love to be accepted for who I am and not necessarily for what I have which seem to be what ladies in my sphere of contact are more interested in. My elder brother eventually got married to a lady who initially rejected his proposal because he wasn't well to do at the time but won't let him rest when she saw that all is now well. Mind you, in not talking about an unbeliever here but a tongue-talking, demon-binding believer. My questions are: what happened to the leading of the spirit? What happened to putting Jesus first? What happened to faith? These are the questions that keeps ringing in my heart. Do you agree with this post? Please feel free to share if you think otherwise. And if you don't mind, please share what influences your choice of a marriage partner.
    There are exceptions, as always. But women tend to go for guys with money, just like men tend to go for women with beauty. These are our natural inclinations. Not that we can't grow past them, but if someone is unaware, or unwilling, to contend with these things, or even if it's what they are taught, then you can't expect change. Just because someone is a Christian doesn't mean they have all the answers. God deals with things concerning an individual on His time, so there may be a reason God hasn't dealt with things in someone's life. Or perhaps they are ignoring God.
    And really what someone displays in public isn't always truth. I had a friend whose 20 year old daughter was a leader of youth at her church. I'm charge of a group of girls. Her fb posts were full of scripture, quotes or videos from pastors. Everyone at the church loved her and believed she was such a solid Christian. But leaving the church, and dealing with her own brother, sister and mother she was very angry and selfish. Often verbally abusing her mother during screaming fights. Despite living there free and not paying a dime for anything if she were asked to spend $1 to help the family she would refuse and say it wasn't her place.
    So who knows what the heart of someone is behind closed doors.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  16. #16
    Senior Member ChandlerFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2013
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,074
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    JosephsDreams about that bad credit, which way does no credit count? I don't borrow a lot, I don't have a credit card, but the only thing I currently owe is for the minivan I got last December. I don't have bad credit but I don't have much credit at all because I don't borrow a lot. Does that fall on the good side or the bad side of the credit issue?
    It's good! It means you're making purchases with money you actually have rather than borrowed money. My goal is to have no credit score someday.
    "The gospel says you are more sinful and flawed than you ever dared believe, but more accepted and loved than you ever dared hope." - Tim Keller

    "It is the habit, if not the consistent practice of God to pull from the fringes of darkness His brightest lights." - Matt Chandler

    My blog



  17. #17
    Senior Member cinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2014
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,326
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    That doesn't work for me. Nobody has stolen my identity as nobody wants it. I rarely use credit and so I have no credit score. I mean literally, I tried to get a loan for a car and the agent said I did not have a score for him to go by.
    I expect I'll never be in that position, but if I were I'd simply say something about that must be close to perfect credit because you've never had a debt to default on. Seriously I don't think people give enough credit to those who manage their money well enough that they've never needed credit. Those people are not likely to be your risky investments.
    DCrawshawJr and Galatea like this.
    When you do love a thing, its gladness is a reason for loving it, and its sadness a reason for loving it more. - GK Chesterton

    The true definition of love is sacrifice.

    Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor; only fools insist on quarreling. - Prov 20:3

  18. #18
    Siberian_Khatru
    Guest

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    I expect I'll never be in that position, but if I were I'd simply say something about that must be close to perfect credit because you've never had a debt to default on. Seriously I don't think people give enough credit to those who manage their money well enough that they've never needed credit. Those people are not likely to be your risky investments.
    I kind of had the same mentality when I applied for a loan on my first car purchase. Great score, good down payment, and I still needed a co-signer. The credit union took the score into consideration, but I had very little credit history. Building momentum with credit is kind of a hassle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I tried to get a loan for a car and the agent said I did not have a score for him to go by.
    Really? Had I been him, I would've been like, "...but you're a cat."

    Wait, what was this thread about again?
    Galatea likes this.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    824
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    It's not just women,in a world where money is king,it's in the individuals best interest be they man or woman to get with someone that is well to do.

    I come from a community that is something like 70% unemployed and I'm pretty sure that everyone that I know personally had their main person jump ship on them and get with someone with money,so apparently money is the primary factor.

    It's no more about "what can WE do" but "what can YOU do for me.

    I stepped away from single life 20 yrs ago and I'm glad that I did.

  20. #20
    Wild
    Guest

    Default Re: What Influences Our Choice Of A Partner?

    Beauty, intelligence, temperament, ambition, respect. Not necessarily in that order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Activities partner or servant partner?
    By 1still_waters in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 6th, 2014, 07:39 PM
  2. When among bad influences
    By Wood-Note in forum Christian Young Adults Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 12th, 2013, 12:00 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 7th, 2013, 02:06 PM
  4. Good Influences for my kid?
    By Hava91 in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 16th, 2012, 05:07 AM
  5. Kid Influences
    By yoej_ogart in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM