Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 98
Like Tree175Likes

Christian Singles Forum

Christian and single? Seek (or give) advice and encouragement here.

Thread: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life.

  1. #1
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,133
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life.

    Hey Everyone,

    First of all, credit for this thread has to go to Lynx. He actually has lots of great ideas for threads, it's just that he's always trying to get me to write them.

    So, let's lighten things up a bit...

    What are some of your pet peeves that always seem to happen in the movies, but would never actually work in real life?

    The idea for this thread came from a voicemail in which Lynx pointed out that if you watch a movie or show where zombies invade a suburban neighborhood, all the lawns are perfectly mowed.

    "Who," he went on to ponder, "is going out there and mowing all that grass? Are they all THAT afraid of their local Homeowner's Association?! It's as if they're all saying, 'Well... Zombies are coming. But I don't want to have to pay a fine, and I don't want to lose my house... So I'd better get out there and get that grass mowed.'"

    Maybe it's some kind of studio contract: People dressed as zombies will ONLY agree to growl and hobble across lawns that are perfectly trimmed and manicured. After all, nothing could come across as more tragic than when zombies march right over ones perfectly groomed yard and break down your white picket fence in order to mow down all the people who just mowed that lawn!

    At any rate, what are some things you notice in movies and love to roll your eyes at? Please share the humor here. (I'm going to write my own ideas in a separate post.)

    And, for anyone wondering why this is in the Singles Forum... It just seemed fitting to post it here, seeing as it's the "brain"child (excuse the zombie pun) of two singles forum regulars.

    Happy sharing!
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    I'm just a nerd hiding in plain sight who is totally inept at taking selfies. (Yes... I blinked at the last minute.)








  2. #2
    wwjd_kilden
    Guest

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Haha, I never thought about that.

    Like I mentioned elsewhere, it annoys me that in 99 our of 100 (or maybe even 199 out of 200) cases,
    the hero is American or British. ...Really? Aren't there ANY people that are hero material elsewhere in the world?

    And how come all cars blow up?!

    And I saw someone mentioned somewhere:

    - Wouldn't it be cool if, in the middle of an indoor chase sequence, the hero suddenly just HAD to go to the toilet?

  3. #3
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,133
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    One of my biggest annoyances in the world of entertainment is a lack of continuity, and specifically, "genetic inconsistencies", such as (everybody put your nerd hats on):

    * The main character (as an adult) has blue eyes, and yet, the main character (when portrayed as a child) has brown eyes, or vice versa. I could be wrong, but eye color does not change as we get older, nor should it change across a character's storyline. And speaking of which...

    * The television show, "Growing Pains". Did anyone else notice that the parents on this popular family sitcom both had blue eyes, and yet, the actress they chose as their daughter (Tracey Gold) had brown eyes?

    Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but eye color is the result of two genes, and blue eyes can only be produced when 2 recessive genes are present. This would mean that brown eyes would not be possible because the gene needed to produce them--the dominant gene--would be absent.

    I know this seems nit picky, but to an adopted child who looks like no one else in her family, these things stand out to me like... Wonder Woman with brown eyes. Ahem. (I haven't seem the movie yet and I'm sure Gal Gadot is amazing, but every rendition I've ever seen of WW portrays her with blue eyes, not brown.)

    And now you can all see why my original career as a big-league Hollywood director went straight down the tube. I was too busy picking out actors with consistent eye colors that I didn't have time to pay attention to their actual acting skills.

    And finally, for the big finale:

    Did this bother anyone else?

    * The fact that Luke Skywalker asks Leia if she remembers her real mother in Return of the Jedi, and she answers, "Just a little bit. She died while I was very young." And then the prequel had their mother dying... in childbirth.

    I remember sitting in the theater wondering if the writers of the prequels had even BOTHERED to watch the first 3 movies (I've read theories about "Force memories" to explain Leia's explanation and other assorted mumbo jumbo...) But that doesn't stop me from thinking, "Is a little continuity between some of the biggest movies of all time really too much to ask???"

    I can hardly wait to see everything they casually "forget"... in the "new" Han Solo movie. Stay tuned.
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    I'm just a nerd hiding in plain sight who is totally inept at taking selfies. (Yes... I blinked at the last minute.)








  4. #4
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,133
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Quote Originally Posted by wwjd_kilden View Post
    Haha, I never thought about that.

    Like I mentioned elsewhere, it annoys me that in 99 our of 100 (or maybe even 199 out of 200) cases,
    the hero is American or British. ...Really? Aren't there ANY people that are hero material elsewhere in the world?


    And how come all cars blow up?!

    And I saw someone mentioned somewhere:

    - Wouldn't it be cool if, in the middle of an indoor chase sequence, the hero suddenly just HAD to go to the toilet?
    Oh man, WWJD, I've thought about this too, in the form of noticing that it seems like nearly all the movies now days depicting American characters... are all played by Brits, Australians, and anyone else who isn't from America.

    Granted, they do a great job. I forget that actors like Christian Bale, Andrew Garfield, and Nicole Kidman AREN'T ACTUALLY AMERICAN until I see/hear them during interviews in which they're using their (very cool) native accents.

    But it leaves me wondering... IS THERE NO ONE LEFT IN AMERICA... WHO COULD ACTUALLY PLAY AN AMERICAN???
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    I'm just a nerd hiding in plain sight who is totally inept at taking selfies. (Yes... I blinked at the last minute.)








  5. #5


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    I know an AA male with blue eyes. He's not mixed both parents are AA as well.. adding to the "wonder how this works" thought..
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    One of my biggest annoyances in the world of entertainment is a lack of continuity, and specifically, "genetic inconsistencies", such as (everybody put your nerd hats on):

    * The main character (as an adult) has blue eyes, and yet, the main character (when portrayed as a child) has brown eyes, or vice versa. I could be wrong, but eye color does not change as we get older, nor should it change across a character's storyline. And speaking of which...

    * The television show, "Growing Pains". Did anyone else notice that the parents on this popular family sitcom both had blue eyes, and yet, the actress they chose as their daughter (Tracey Gold) had brown eyes?

    Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but eye color is the result of two genes, and blue eyes can only be produced when 2 recessive genes are present. This would mean that brown eyes would not be possible because the gene needed to produce them--the dominant gene--would be absent.

    I know this seems nit picky, but to an adopted child who looks like no one else in her family, these things stand out to me like... Wonder Woman with brown eyes. Ahem. (I haven't seem the movie yet and I'm sure Gal Gadot is amazing, but every rendition I've ever seen of WW portrays her with blue eyes, not brown.)

    And now you can all see why my original career as a big-league Hollywood director went straight down the tube. I was too busy picking out actors with consistent eye colors that I didn't have time to pay attention to their actual acting skills.

    And finally, for the big finale:

    Did this bother anyone else?

    * The fact that Luke Skywalker asks Leia if she remembers her real mother in Return of the Jedi, and she answers, "Just a little bit. She died while I was very young." And then the prequel had their mother dying... in childbirth.

    I remember sitting in the theater wondering if the writers of the prequels had even BOTHERED to watch the first 3 movies (I've read theories about "Force memories" to explain Leia's explanation and other assorted mumbo jumbo...) But that doesn't stop me from thinking, "Is a little continuity between some of the biggest movies of all time really too much to ask???"

    I can hardly wait to see everything they casually "forget"... in the "new" Han Solo movie. Stay tuned.

  6. #6
    Senior Member chickwithsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2015
    Age
    48
    Posts
    876
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Shows that have a 24 or 48 hour straight lapse of time and characters never stop to eat or drink and have endless energy

    Female leads (tough "guy" roles) shown running and climbing and jumping (oh my) in stilettos

    TV shows like Lost where most of female characters had visible make up / mascara on...it would run out eventually

  7. #7
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    18,762
    Rep Power
    410

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Hello and good day Kim, and hello as well to the singles' forum I used to know someone who remembered being born. He was invited into Mensa when he was in the seventh grade. He also remembers having the operation required shortly after birth to correct his cleft palette. It seems fantastic to those of us with regular or subnormal brains (whatever normal may be). Perhaps Leia was supposed to be one such person? I really would not know, because, truth be told, despite their widespread popularity, those movies are not my cup of tea
    seoulsearch likes this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  8. #8
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,133
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Zi View Post
    I know an AA male with blue eyes. He's not mixed both parents are AA as well.. adding to the "wonder how this works" thought..
    This is REALLY fascinating, Zi. Man, I wish I could see pictures of the entire family.

    I am totally intrigued by genetics. I'll have to look up more information about this when I have the time. Thank you for sharing!

    And now maybe, just maybe, I'll be forced to let go of my decade-long Growing Pains grudge.

    P.S. I just read Magenta's post.. WOW!!!

    So many amazing stories out there... Wish I had time to research them all.

    Chicks!! It's so good to see you back!! Hugs.
    Last edited by seoulsearch; August 1st, 2017 at 03:40 PM.
    Magenta and Zi like this.
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    I'm just a nerd hiding in plain sight who is totally inept at taking selfies. (Yes... I blinked at the last minute.)








  9. #9
    wwjd_kilden
    Guest

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    The sexy female always ends up with the handsome hero.

    What about a plain, normal hero? Or a plain, normal female?

    Or both of them "hot", but not ending up together?

    Nah, Hollywood would explode

  10. #10


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    If there were a way to get them without sounding like I lost my mind... Lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    This is REALLY fascinating, Zi. Man, I wish I could see pictures of the entire family.

    I am totally intrigued by genetics. I'll have to look up more information about this when I have the time. Thank you for sharing!

    And now maybe, just maybe, I'll be forced to let go of my decade-long Growing Pains grudge.

    P.S. I just read Magenta's post.. WOW!!!

    So many amazing stories out there... Wish I had time to research them all.
    ,

  11. #11
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,133
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Quote Originally Posted by wwjd_kilden View Post
    The sexy female always ends up with the handsome hero.

    What about a plain, normal hero? Or a plain, normal female?

    Or both of them "hot", but not ending up together?

    Nah, Hollywood would explode
    No Quasimodo + Esmeralda together on this side of Hollywood.

    Even when the story really is a fairytale (and Disney, at that.)
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    I'm just a nerd hiding in plain sight who is totally inept at taking selfies. (Yes... I blinked at the last minute.)








  12. #12
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    18,762
    Rep Power
    410

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Thank you Kim. I hope it is not tmi to mention also that he remembers how his mom had to stick her finger in his mouth when he fed, to stop the milk from flowing into his open palette (before the operation) and choking him.

    So many TV shows are over the top in some way, trying to get and hold our attention. I was listening to the radio one day when they were talking about the old Smothers' Brothers show, and how it was one of the very first to experience censorship as a way of controlling content to keep the advertisers happy. And yet when you think about it, some standard has always been being promoted, and it seems obvious too, that we as a society have crossed that line many times over in the intervening years. As Christians, it is so easy to see how the dramatization of sin is the driving force of our entertainment industry. We are such lookie loos!

    When I gave up TV in my early thirties, I did not miss it because so much of what was on television seemed so unrealistic to me. Then seventeen years later I bought a tellie for my 50th, and had to get used to the new digital era we had entered, for things had really changed. It took some getting used to shows like Alias, that were so much fun even though completely unrealistic in how the world was being saved from imminent destruction always at the very last possible second. Blind Spot was like that too, always the race against time setting the scene for suspense, but the formula gets tiresome after a while.

    How lovely in comparison, or standing on the strength of their own beauty, the portrayals of life in seemingly simpler times as depicted by such authors as Jane Austen and Julian Fellowes




    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  13. #13
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,133
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    I also have to add that I get a bit annoyed by female actions stars whose are so thin that they look as if they could never hold up the weapons they're supposedly brandishing, especially when they're supposedly packing heat from every direction.

    I dig Milla Jovovich, Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Gal Gadot, and the up and coming Ruby Rose, but they're all so skinny that it's hard to believe they could actually carry one weapon, let alone 2 (or 8), while flipping a motorcycle and knocking down 4 grown men at a time.

    Henceforth, all hail Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2.

    At least she really worked on looking like a real baddie. <3
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    I'm just a nerd hiding in plain sight who is totally inept at taking selfies. (Yes... I blinked at the last minute.)








  14. #14


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    How hard is it to remember from scene to scene what color coffee mug they had or if their hair was up? Look back over them... Want under my skin? That works every time

  15. #15
    Yahweh_is_gracious
    Guest

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    In TV and movies, subverting a very secure computer system takes only a few seconds. Characters can hack the Pentagon in a matter of seconds.

    Monkey Muffins!

    I understand though. Showing it realistically wouldn't be "fun" or "exciting". I mean, who wants to watch some fat, unshowered, neckbeard slug bladder-buster after bladder-buster of Mountain Dew while he pours through tens of thousands of lines of source code to try and find an exploit he can use to try and find a back-door into a system.

  16. #16
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    10,133
    Rep Power
    171

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahweh_is_gracious View Post
    In TV and movies, subverting a very secure computer system takes only a few seconds. Characters can hack the Pentagon in a matter of seconds.

    Monkey Muffins!

    I understand though. Showing it realistically wouldn't be "fun" or "exciting". I mean, who wants to watch some fat, unshowered, neckbeard slug bladder-buster after bladder-buster of Mountain Dew while he pours through tens of thousands of lines of source code to try and find an exploit he can use to try and find a back-door into a system.

    I had to give this a "like"... Just for the Monkey Muffins.

    Lol!
    Pipp, Magenta and Zi like this.
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    I'm just a nerd hiding in plain sight who is totally inept at taking selfies. (Yes... I blinked at the last minute.)








  17. #17
    Yahweh_is_gracious
    Guest

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    I had to give this a "like"... Just for the Monkey Muffins.

    Lol!
    Col. Sherman T. Potter always had the best sayings.
    Oncefallen, Pipp and Magenta like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Conversationand's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2017
    Age
    28
    Posts
    368
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Guns. The gun is NEVER loaded. Been shooting guys like crazy? Stop for the "lets do this" conversation? Gun needs to be cocked again for some reason and no shells come out. The safeties are never on. People who are professionals with guns never use proper trigger control. Some guns don't even sound like they are supposed to. Shooting 30 rounds before needing to be reloaded. People using things like wooden tables and metal 50 gallon barrels successfully for cover. People who have no experience with a handgun picking one up and using it effectively.

    Also, romance in chick flicks. Person gets on a plane at last minute to chase after their true love when earlier it was said that they didn't even have a passport. Guy stands outside a window at night possibly in the rain playing music and this is "romantic." That gets you arrested in real life. Person A lets person B go to another relationship because they really love them and want them to be happy and by the end of the movie they are back together. Two people who have known each other less than a month or a week or an hour and all of the sudden they are star crossed lovers. The source of tension in almost all romantic comedies is that the guy is great except he does one really stupid thing and the end of the movie is when they finally make up over it.

    I could go on...

    Go and learn what this means: Hosea 6:6 "I desire mercy, not sacrifice"

  19. #19
    wwjd_kilden
    Guest

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Conversationand View Post
    Guns. The gun is NEVER loaded. Been shooting guys like crazy? Stop for the "lets do this" conversation? Gun needs to be cocked again for some reason and no shells come out. The safeties are never on. People who are professionals with guns never use proper trigger control. Some guns don't even sound like they are supposed to. Shooting 30 rounds before needing to be reloaded. People using things like wooden tables and metal 50 gallon barrels successfully for cover. People who have no experience with a handgun picking one up and using it effectively.
    Yeah... even old- fashioned sword wielders like me who never saw a real gun irl see that half of that move stuff is too fake
    Conversationand likes this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Conversationand's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2017
    Age
    28
    Posts
    368
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life

    Quote Originally Posted by wwjd_kilden View Post
    Yeah... even old- fashioned sword wielders like me who never saw a real gun irl see that half of that move stuff is too fake
    Oh so then, swords worn on the back that are to long to ever possibly draw in any normal or speedy fashion?

    Go and learn what this means: Hosea 6:6 "I desire mercy, not sacrifice"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Things you never thought would happen to you.
    By Samantha1234 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: August 8th, 2017, 12:15 PM
  2. Why does God allow certain things to happen
    By Learing_gemini29 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 19th, 2015, 10:57 PM
  3. Why God allows bad things to happen?
    By AustinT in forum Christian Young Adults Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 27th, 2014, 12:21 PM
  4. Why God allows bad things to happen?
    By AustinT in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 14th, 2014, 08:20 PM
  5. Random things that happen
    By Neeners in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM