Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68
Like Tree135Likes

Christian Singles Forum

Christian and single? Seek (or give) advice and encouragement here.

Thread: Recovering Love Addict

  1. #41


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    I'm 100% with Galatea.
    ,

  2. #42
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,842
    Rep Power
    181

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    this isn't against anyone... just when you bury your child, you learn that though people want to be there for you, they really can't be. it's something you do alone. though your spouse is also suffering, it's somehow different.

    God has to be 'enough'. and He is.

  3. #43
    Senior Member 1ofthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2016
    Age
    37
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    45

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    this isn't against anyone... just when you bury your child, you learn that though people want to be there for you, they really can't be. it's something you do alone. though your spouse is also suffering, it's somehow different.

    God has to be 'enough'. and He is.
    Amen sister...there are just sometimes in life when spouses, mothers, fathers, children, other family, and friends can't help us no matter how much they want too and no matter how much they love and care for us. There is somethings that only God can do and help with. He knows us better than we even know our own selves. He is always there and always knows what we need. He is more than enough.

  4. #44


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    The OP isn't talking about death of a child, but the longing for a partner or mate.
    Yes in cases God is what we need but He is not all we need.
    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    this isn't against anyone... just when you bury your child, you learn that though people want to be there for you, they really can't be. it's something you do alone. though your spouse is also suffering, it's somehow different.

    God has to be 'enough'. and He is.
    ,

  5. #45


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Comfort for the loss of someone and having a bond with someone you can touch, is 2 different things. One God doesn't do.
    ,

  6. #46
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,842
    Rep Power
    181

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Zi View Post
    The OP isn't talking about death of a child, but the longing for a partner or mate.
    Yes in cases God is what we need but He is not all we need.
    well, yes.

    this is... so hard to talk about. i'm just saying, God. in our deepest, darkest, God. in times of trial, times of joy, times of despair, God.

    if i 'need' it, it is God who provides it. you know, things and people i really thought i 'needed', He knew i didn't. we can make idols out of good things, too. if a good thing becomes an ultimate thing, i have made an idol of it.

    not that we aren't social beings! but i have learned to be careful about declaring there's something i need in this life that isn't God. i hope you understand, and may the Lord bless you.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    People ARE SOCIAL!!! Even antisocial people who THINK they don't need others go online to talk to PEOPLE. God made us this way, all people. Single people die sooner and are more depressed. This is scientific fact.

    I maintain that it IS absolute drivel to say people don't need people. Everyone needs human contact or go stark, staring mad. Why do you think solitary confinement is torture?

    I maintain that it is biblical for people to need other people. If we didn't, God would not have designed marriage and the family, procreation the way He has. We could be pod people, just like plants reproducing ourselves and in communion with God alone.

    Absolutely, pure drivel. People who are antisocial are not balanced. People who need people are balanced. Even Jesus had friends and a family. I would go so far as to say God created people because HE needs people. We all need some human being on which to lavish love.

    To the OP: You are normal. Not longing for a human is abnormal. So keep rocking and find yourself a wife you can talk to face to face and put your arm around and share this existence.
    "Normal." Keyword there. I do think everyone needs people. I also know people who have made it their life's ambition to avoid all people.

    One thing all people have in common -- we are broken. Also the reason we need God to fix us. But if we never come to the Lord to be fixed, broken people include people who do not want, and go out of their way to get what they don't want, basic social contact.

    I come from such a family, which in itself is kind of funny, since "family" already says "socialize." But my father was, and still is, antisocial. And out of the six kids he had, two are antisocial too. One fights against it, so he has friends. The other one is either at work (and not a job where you have to be social), or home alone creating new music to play on his guitar.

    I do get this is abnormal, so you're right that Christianguitarist is normal, but that doesn't negate the different ways people are broken. And broken people include the ones who aren't social. The ones who do fill their lives without ever making social contact again.

    Also, Paul! He said it is better to be the type that doesn't need to be married, like him, but if not.... So clearly not all Christians should be married.

    Single isn't abnormal. Single is good, if the Lord has given a person that. But single doesn't mean antisocial. Paul remained single and yet had quite a lot of friends, (and even more enemies. lol)
    notmyown likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  8. #48
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    It's orange crush. Orange crush is a rather well known brand of soda in some regions, and here it is a play on words, because some people who are infatuated with other people will say "I have a crush on her" or "Yeah, I know she's crushing on me, it's kinda awkward."
    Ah, thanks! I didn't get it either. Then again, I'm a diet cola kinda gal, so there is that. lol
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  9. #49
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMcgee View Post
    youre wrong

    : /


    you have your own opinions on this

    and youre pushing them


    God is enough



    no the OP is not lacking because he desires love....
    and being social has nothing at all to do with NEEDING a husband/wife...


    but yes


    God is enough

    even if you belittle people who know so through their daily walk
    I actually think Gal got caught up in her passion for socializing. And socializing is good. Socializing is a need that goes unfulfilled by choice sometimes, but it is a need. I think she just caught up in thinking that is related to a need for marriage too.

    And truthfully, marriage becomes a need too for some people. I was content to be single. On our first date, (which should be included in "Things not to Say on a First Date," but given I'm not your normal person either, it worked for him lol), future hubby told me he was the kind of guy who needed a wife. His need was real.

    Honestly, I neither needed to be single nor married, until I met him. And once I met him, I needed him. So theories on if I needed marriage or not all flew out the window that night.

    BUT, I honestly think Gal is one of those wants-to-be-married types, who got passionate about her desire and overstated her case, not out of unkindness, but because she got caught up in her own desires enough that she momentarily forgot the other side of the story.

    That one happens to all of us.

    As far as those who don't think they need other people goes, my dad is still unaware that despite him never wanting to be around anyone, he's very fortunate that desire was ignored. He hates all the nurses, doctors, aids, and janitors at the hospice. He thinks all the other residents are 1-51 cards short of a full pack. But he has absolutely no idea that he's 51 cards down from the full pack too. Antisocial or not, he is being kept comfortable and alive by those very creatures he always tried to avoid -- people.

    So, Gal isn't wrong either. We do need to be social. We can't live as long without other people.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  10. #50
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by joefizz View Post
    I suppose us unsociable people just get the meaning faster lol.
    If you were unsocial, you wouldn't be here. (Gal was right about that. Even some of us who don't interact well with others in real life, find an outlet to be social online.)
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  11. #51
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by joefizz View Post
    So when Jesus was tempted by satan"Alone",did he need people?
    So was Jesus antisocial?
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,412
    Rep Power
    114

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    I actually think Gal got caught up in her passion for socializing. And socializing is good. Socializing is a need that goes unfulfilled by choice sometimes, but it is a need. I think she just caught up in thinking that is related to a need for marriage too.

    And truthfully, marriage becomes a need too for some people. I was content to be single. On our first date, (which should be included in "Things not to Say on a First Date," but given I'm not your normal person either, it worked for him lol), future hubby told me he was the kind of guy who needed a wife. His need was real.

    Honestly, I neither needed to be single nor married, until I met him. And once I met him, I needed him. So theories on if I needed marriage or not all flew out the window that night.

    BUT, I honestly think Gal is one of those wants-to-be-married types, who got passionate about her desire and overstated her case, not out of unkindness, but because she got caught up in her own desires enough that she momentarily forgot the other side of the story.

    That one happens to all of us.

    As far as those who don't think they need other people goes, my dad is still unaware that despite him never wanting to be around anyone, he's very fortunate that desire was ignored. He hates all the nurses, doctors, aids, and janitors at the hospice. He thinks all the other residents are 1-51 cards short of a full pack. But he has absolutely no idea that he's 51 cards down from the full pack too. Antisocial or not, he is being kept comfortable and alive by those very creatures he always tried to avoid -- people.

    So, Gal isn't wrong either. We do need to be social. We can't live as long without other people.
    i wasnt arguing being social xD

    i was talkin about the OP

    and God being enough is not drivel

    but i see what youre saying and feel maybe i could have worded things better myself
    Depleted, 1ofthem and notmyown like this.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Maka's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by christianguitarist View Post
    Has anyone felt as though life without a partner is meaningless or worthless before and if so how did you overcome it ? How does one know life is worth living regardless of relationship status.
    I’ve never felt life was worthless or meaningless without a partner but it does feel lonely. I’m not a social butterfly but I do want to find someone to spend my life with.
    When I'm plagued with pain And filled with fear
    I run to you, and you alone

  14. #54
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMcgee View Post
    asexual has nothing to do with being able to contain


    at least not for me


    im not asexual

    and God is enough


    youre throwing your own terms and opinions in as fact



    just like when you said men like women who are less intelligent


    you paint with such a large brush

    and you act like its fact....


    i love you...
    but i havent seen you once admit you were wrong

    when you were
    I'm not big on the term "asexual" either, because staying a virgin is very much a problem for most Christians before they're married, so I doubt that changes for those who stay single.

    BUT, you're 27. And you weren't a virgin before you became a believer. And, oddly enough, somehow that really is accepted more because you're a guy, even within Christian circles. I truly hope you realize it is God in you if you are able to contain. (Am soooo not asking if you do. Do NOT want to know. lol) It doesn't get easier in your 30s, or 40s, or 50s. It MIGHT get easier in your 60s, 70s, and 80s, but given some guys become fathers again even in their 90s, don't count on that ever getting all that easy.

    You're 27. Truthfully, I'm impressed because you're taking that seriously, but wait a while longer on how much that itch still wants to be scratched in a decade, or two. You don't know if your singleness is a permanent lifestyle or a temporary one. (And, remember, I assumed my singleness was a choice I was happy with, so things sometimes change.)

    Some people have been living with that itch longer. Gal is one of those people, so give her some credit for knowing what she needs, since you're giving yourself credit for knowing you don't need it (yet. And maybe never will.)

    As for most men want dumber women? It's generalization, not an absolute. And, yeah, it is true. I'm above average in intelligence, but no where near genius level. And, when I was young, a song became a hit, and most of my friends nicknamed me that song title. (Brick House by the Commodores. Unrepentant Disco lover, although I looked more like KC from KC and the Sunshine Band than Donna Summers. lol) Despite that attribute, (and my face was at best average looking, ) most guys wouldn't date me after getting to know me, because I could do what I do now even back then -- win debates through logic. I intimidated them, even without trying. MOST, not all.

    I ended up marrying a man smarter than I am, (Thank you, Lord, because my common sense doesn't keep up with the brain, but I need someone to remind me of that logically often), but he was attracted to me because I wasn't playing the ditz.

    So, I'm going with you aren't intimidated by smart women? GOOD! Because there aren't enough men like you in the world, and we really need guys who aren't intimidated by such silly things, because the smart ones aren't playing the ditz!

    On the down side, that makes you more likely to marry a smart woman, because we're also attracted more to people who aren't intimidated by us... sooo, how about that? You just scored a notch on the "more likely to get married" scale. lol


    Heads up. I truly get this is your season to stick with filling your head full of God, but I do think that's for a season. Not that you will ever stop trying to fill your head full of God, but there will come a day when you put away your ear buds for a while, (or whatever they'll be called when that day comes), and you will start socializing with good Christians around you. Heads up, because 51% of them will be women. It's not impossible to do both -- fill head full of God and fall in love with someone.

    My husband still fills his head full of God. He's lost a lot of his youthful concentration ability of course. When he was in his 40s, he spent 4 hours a night in his study surrounded by 3-4 feet of reference books and Bible aids. Now it's all online, so he doesn't need that hedge of books around him. And he got CFS, so he lost a lot of his ability to concentrate. He only averages 2 hours a day now.

    I see you like him in 10 years or less. Still filling, but with good people in your life. I'm hoping one will be your wife. I honestly think being single is good for some people. But you? You didn't get a good dose of something most people get when they're young -- family. I'm praying God gives you family.

    (And you might want to hit me later on in life, but only when your kids become teenagers and you realize family isn't always easy.)
    NoNameMcgee likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  15. #55
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMcgee View Post
    i agree that fellowship is important
    and brothers and sisters are something that shouldnt be take for granted...

    but to conflate a temporal relationship being your only true way to joy

    and the importance of fellowship makes no sense
    Did I miss someone in this conversation? (Considering trolls come in and are removed along with being banned, it is possible.) Because I didn't see anyone saying marriage is the only true way to joy.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,412
    Rep Power
    114

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    Did I miss someone in this conversation? (Considering trolls come in and are removed along with being banned, it is possible.) Because I didn't see anyone saying marriage is the only true way to joy.
    if you say God is not enough when regarding this topic...
    (not saying YOU but "you")
    that is exactly what you are implying
    we can agree to disagree on a few of things in your last post lynn

    but...

    its funny you say put my earbuds-away

    actually laughed

    youre a sweetheart ...
    sometimes

    >: 3
    Depleted and 1ofthem like this.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMcgee View Post
    to me it sounds like youre lying... and insulting God




    because i know first hand


    not some watered down diluted interpretation
    or some made up statistic



    i guess the only way i could be wrong

    is if God truely is not enough for you

    and if thats the case

    im sorry
    but


    im not asexual

    im not talking about social interaction

    or fellowship


    im specifically talking about the issue the OP
    stated
    If Gal inflated her position because of the desire for marriage in her, then what are you doing here, but deflating marriage to nothingness? And misrepresenting what she said because you're passionate for the single life for now?

    You're getting all over her case for stuff she didn't do, and if you think she insulted every single person, you're insulting every married person. So, nope, you're wrong without giving the "I'm talking for God" excuse.

    God is enough. He really is, however in his Godlike ways, he gave me a husband. We married quickly because we were burning, but that's not why I married him. I married him, because I couldn't live without him. That was a sentence I said often when we were dating, and, as it turned out, it was prophetic.

    God saw my needs and gave me the one who could meet them. And he saw John's needs and gave him the one who could meet them.

    Does that mean God wasn't enough? No more than saying "God wasn't enough, therefore he gave Moses Arron's staff." Ends up that staff had more than one purpose and God had that happened before the staff was even a sapling in some wilderness type place.

    If God hadn't given me John, and if God didn't give John me, neither one of us would be alive today.

    -- Who saved me from a job where I was paid minimum wages for 30 hours a week, but had to work 50 hours a week? I didn't even have enough money to buy groceries to last me a week, so without John coming along, I would have gone hungry one day a week, and didn't have time to find another job.

    -- Who gave John food to eat and a place to live in that year he broke his back? Because he certainly couldn't work while his back healed, and Workman's Comp in NJ paid (pays) $5000 to someone who broke their back, so they can live the rest of their lives on that mighty $5,000!

    -- Who made me promise not to kill myself when the pain was so great five months after the cause and there was no doctor able to find the cause, but refusing to give me anything for the pain because it might mask the cause in the tests? There was no light at the end of that tunnel. I was sure it was a cave, not a tunnel. So who got me to promise something I wasn't sure I could keep, but surely, because I loved him, I'd hold out for as long as I could?

    -- Who took care of him, the bills, the search for money, and a way to keep our house, while John was going through 24 weeks of chemo? Who fed him on those good days when he could eat? Who stuck a huge plastic storage box in the tub, so he could bath after the drain pipe broke, but we couldn't afford the plumber to fix it? Who gerry-rigged a one-cup coffee maker and a small fridge to keep the creamer in our upstair's study, so he would be able to get coffee when I was sleeping because he didn't have the strength to go down steps to go to the kitchen? Who found a little-known government program that would pay for our mortgage until he wasn't sick anymore nine weeks after we receive our foreclosure all because I didn't want him to be that sick while living in our car?

    -- Who was there to catch the words "crytoblation" when a resident-surgeon was talking about removing the cancerous cyst off his kidney by cutting him from his back to his bellybutton followed by a month, (that we later figured out meant "half a year"), in the VA hospital, so we found a one-day procedure to remove that cancer, (and keep all of his kidney), instead of life changing surgery?

    -- Who was the one who drove him to the hospital after four days of not being able to lie down at all without stop breathing only to find out he was having a heart attack? Who was there to sign the papers that made it all right to transfer him to another hospital for stents, to sign papers that made it all right for him to be on the Ekmo, who signed papers that said it was all right to go on the dialysis machine for three days, knowing either his kidneys had to start working again in those three days, or there was one more paper to sign -- the one that said, it was time to take him off life support? Who was there to sign the papers so he could get Porky the Pig's micro valve for his heart, because his exploded off? Who was there to finally tell them he gets to make the next decision? (Do his teeth stay or go because of a bleeding tooth might turn into an abscess that wandered into that just-repaired heart? That was the first time John got to make his own decision. lol) Who was there to make sure they got him to the VA again. Who was there to keep pushing so he could eat again, and it only took 6 months for him to be able to taste food again? Who was there to keep pushing to get him into a rehab we could afford? (Free. lol) Who was there to make sure he got home again, but not before he could move?

    Who was there for all that? God! Because God is enough!

    And to pull that off, long ago, God preordained a Philadelphian Guy to meet a South Jersey Gal and get married, because, quite literally, we couldn't live without the other!

    God is enough, however God is enough because he populated the world with people who will come and go in our lives to help us when we need it and to help them when they need it. Sometimes the person is important enough to marry.

    You keep blasting Gal for things she did and didn't say, but you've also taken this way beyond reality yourself.

    Funny what our passions get us saying, huh?
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  18. #58
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,074
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by AbigailZeke View Post
    Can't get any clearer than that.
    Can't get any clearer than that, however, it would help if it was connected to the conversation.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,412
    Rep Power
    114

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    Can't get any clearer than that, however, it would help if it was connected to the conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    Anyone who says "God is enough" is speaking absolute drivel. God is NOT enough.
    ya it is lynn


    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    But it is absurd to say “God is enough” and you don’t need human contact in some capacity.
    she brought up asexual
    and fellowship

    as well as conflated desire for marriage that you dont have and misery

    saying what everyone said before her was drivel

    and what many has since

    i may have gotten too defensive

    but it was not for nothing
    Last edited by NoNameMcgee; 1 Week Ago at 02:23 PM.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,412
    Rep Power
    114

    Default Re: Recovering Love Addict

    have*

    i DID get defensive
    and stepped out of line


    but the principal behind what i was saying is something i stand by

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Recovering from a relationship with an unbeliever
    By bijanka in forum Christian Young Adults Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2016, 06:06 PM
  2. Recovering
    By Inu in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: September 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM
  3. Recovering from accident (Please Pray)
    By adelphe in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 6th, 2013, 09:39 AM
  4. recovering from breakup
    By christianguitarist in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 30th, 2013, 07:03 PM
  5. Recovering Addicts Board
    By JMans1187 in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM