Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
Like Tree70Likes

Christian Singles Forum

Christian and single? Seek (or give) advice and encouragement here.

Thread: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

  1. #21
    Senior Member zeroturbulence's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2009
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,637
    Blog Entries
    21
    Rep Power
    175

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    I don't speak my own native language very well.... hardly at all even!
    My dad was the greatest dad I could have ever asked for. Thank you, Dad..

    "If you talk about scripture more than you talk about God, then you've missed the point".
    - A Retired Minister

    Quote Originally Posted by loverofjesus27 View Post
    Who owns this site? Why is it bad to have fun?? And where is Harpy Eagle ??



  2. #22
    Senior Member Maka's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    505
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    No. We'd have no way of getting to know each other.
    Galatea likes this.
    When I'm plagued with pain And filled with fear
    I run to you, and you alone

  3. #23
    Senior Member Pipp's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2013
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,442
    Rep Power
    59

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    How would you know you were interested in them if you can't communicate ?
    zeroturbulence likes this.
    If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

    A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.
    Roald Dahl, The Twits

  4. #24
    Senior Member Daylilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Great discussion topic, Seoulsearch!

    I would definitely work on learning another language to develop a friendship. I have been really blessed to have worked with people from many different countries and we have always found ways to build friendships despite the language barrier, usually through shared hobbies. In my experiences, you can often get to know the person through their actions, which sometimes provides more insight into a person than their words.

    Communication is such an important part of a romantic relationship though, that I would want to make sure that we were both committed to working through the language barriers. I think it would be important for both of us to work on learning one another's language and, even though it sounds impersonal, having someone who could serve as a translator if needed. Someone trustworthy, like a minister, who could serve as a resource but still allow us to be the ones to work through whatever issue we were communicating about.

    It would definitely be a dating challenge, but for the right person, I think it would definitely be worth it!
    seoulsearch likes this.

  5. #25
    Yahweh_is_gracious
    Guest

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    Doggone it, for some reason, the "Reply With Quote" function hasn't been working for me...

    Yahweh! Thank you so much for answering because I knew from some of your posts that you had experience in this area.

    I have had several friends/family members who married spouses who grew up in another different country, and from what I've observed, it certainly presents its own unique set of challenges.

    I would have loved to have had a raw conversation with each of them to hear their perspective on how they met, decided to marry, and were able to make it work.
    The things that were most difficult to deal with were the cultural misunderstandings and having to stop in the middle of a sentence to explain some idiom or piece of slang. It got to be very tiring to me over the years we were together. I know for a fact that I don't have the patience to deal with that stuff again.

    There is way more to a language other than just being able to say the right words, the right way, at the right time. There's so many little nuances of culture, slang, idiom that are NOT similar between cultures, and that stuff can be quite a hangup that gets in the way of real and meaningful communication.
    seoulsearch, Susanna and Daylilies like this.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Tinuviel's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2015
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,814
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Nope, I wouldn't. Unless we each knew a decent amount of the other's language. Then I might consider it.
    “If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our dead bodies. And if they perish, let them perish with our arms wrapped about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go unwarned and unprayed for.”
    ~Charles Spurgeon

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,968
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahweh_is_gracious View Post
    The things that were most difficult to deal with were the cultural misunderstandings and having to stop in the middle of a sentence to explain some idiom or piece of slang. It got to be very tiring to me over the years we were together. I know for a fact that I don't have the patience to deal with that stuff again.

    There is way more to a language other than just being able to say the right words, the right way, at the right time. There's so many little nuances of culture, slang, idiom that are NOT similar between cultures, and that stuff can be quite a hangup that gets in the way of real and meaningful communication.
    Exactly.

    I have been dealing with so many non native English speakers over the years and sometimes I just wanted to bang my head against the nearest wall when the communication went south.

    Mind you, I wasn't married to them. I can just imagine how frustrating that would have been.
    AWV

  8. #28
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,277
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahweh_is_gracious View Post
    The things that were most difficult to deal with were the cultural misunderstandings and having to stop in the middle of a sentence to explain some idiom or piece of slang. It got to be very tiring to me over the years we were together. I know for a fact that I don't have the patience to deal with that stuff again.

    There is way more to a language other than just being able to say the right words, the right way, at the right time. There's so many little nuances of culture, slang, idiom that are NOT similar between cultures, and that stuff can be quite a hangup that gets in the way of real and meaningful communication.
    Ugh, for real! My brother was watching some anime one time and I noticed about a third of the subtitles were annotations explaining some cultural bit that you really needed to know in order to understand what they said.
    "Do you sing at church?"
    "Yes I sing at church. And I sing at work. And I sing at home... and in the car... at the supermarket... at Wal-Mart..."

  9. #29
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,151
    Rep Power
    225

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Mark and i were talking about this last night, and came to this conclusion:

    assuming you marry someone of the opposite sex, eeevvvrryyone marries someone who doesn't speak their language.

    no, really!
    seoulsearch, Miri, Susanna and 4 others like this.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,968
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    Mark and i were talking about this last night, and came to this conclusion:

    assuming you marry someone of the opposite sex, eeevvvrryyone marries someone who doesn't speak their language.

    no, really!
    You are right.

    So obvious.

    Yet people marry left and right without knowing anything about the opposite sex.

    Plain crazy.

    Is it possible to learn the opposite gender's language and culture?
    notmyown likes this.
    AWV

  11. #31
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,151
    Rep Power
    225

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    You are right.

    So obvious.

    Yet people marry left and right without knowing anything about the opposite sex.

    Plain crazy.

    Is it possible to learn the opposite gender's language and culture?
    i meannnn.... after a few decades? lol

    i'm not sure we ever truly know and understand? glimpses, for sure, and it develops better with talking, which presumes a common language, so there's that. it requires a willingness to be open, and that means vulnerability, which doesn't come easily to some of us. (looks at husband )

    but on the whole, nah. makes for some interesting times, tho!
    Susanna likes this.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,844
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    217

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Americans do speak a different language to everyone else.

    Pavement - sidewalk
    car boot - trunk
    scone - dumpling
    motorway - freeway
    biscuit - cookie
    trousers - pants
    pants - underwear
    colour - color
    postman - mailman


    I think Ive learnt the lingo pretty well, so if you are offering...... lol
    He is God and we are not.


    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    Miri, for being Mary Poppins. (inside joke, but no, really! she's kind and no nonsense!)

  13. #33
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,844
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    217

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    One of the most interesting things I've ever experienced on a dating site was when a hearing-impaired man messaged me about dating. He asked me if I was good at learning languages and if I would be willing to learn sign language if we decided to have a relationship. He also sent me links to videos regarding how he went about daily tasks like using the (regular) telephone, because at the time, cell phones didn't exist.

    Although we eventually decided we were not right for each other, it got me thinking about the possibility of learning another language for the sake of someone I might be interested in.

    I'm in a work situation right now in which a guy who speaks Spanish almost exclusively tries to talk to me almost every day, but all we can say to each other are very basic, polite, "How are you's?" The other day he apologized profusely for his English, and I felt awful that he would feel the need to apologize.

    Although it's not a dating situation at all, I almost wish I could ask him to text all his questions so that I could try to run them through Google Translator (and then also have a way of answering him back in Spanish). I know there would still be some misunderstandings but at least it would hopefully make him more comfortable with trying to hold a conversation.

    The other day, I asked him how long he'd worked for the company and he answered with several sentences in Spanish. Unfortunately, all I could decipher was "tres" (three), and that was just from watching Sesame Street as a kid!

    What about the rest of you?

    * Would you learn another language to talk to or date someone you were interested in?

    * If the other person didn't speak your language well, would you only agree to date them if you believed they would become more fluent in your own language? Why or why not?

    * Would you choose not to date someone who didn't speak your language well, and why? Is it just because of the communication barrier, or are there other reasons?

    Thanks in advance for sharing.

    I would really love to know your thoughts.
    My aunt’s half deaf, so no problem. Ha ha
    He is God and we are not.


    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    Miri, for being Mary Poppins. (inside joke, but no, really! she's kind and no nonsense!)

  14. #34
    Member GilaSemut's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2016
    Age
    27
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    One of the most interesting things I've ever experienced on a dating site was when a hearing-impaired man messaged me about dating. He asked me if I was good at learning languages and if I would be willing to learn sign language if we decided to have a relationship. He also sent me links to videos regarding how he went about daily tasks like using the (regular) telephone, because at the time, cell phones didn't exist.

    Although we eventually decided we were not right for each other, it got me thinking about the possibility of learning another language for the sake of someone I might be interested in.

    I'm in a work situation right now in which a guy who speaks Spanish almost exclusively tries to talk to me almost every day, but all we can say to each other are very basic, polite, "How are you's?" The other day he apologized profusely for his English, and I felt awful that he would feel the need to apologize.

    Although it's not a dating situation at all, I almost wish I could ask him to text all his questions so that I could try to run them through Google Translator (and then also have a way of answering him back in Spanish). I know there would still be some misunderstandings but at least it would hopefully make him more comfortable with trying to hold a conversation.

    The other day, I asked him how long he'd worked for the company and he answered with several sentences in Spanish. Unfortunately, all I could decipher was "tres" (three), and that was just from watching Sesame Street as a kid!

    What about the rest of you?

    * Would you learn another language to talk to or date someone you were interested in?

    * If the other person didn't speak your language well, would you only agree to date them if you believed they would become more fluent in your own language? Why or why not?

    * Would you choose not to date someone who didn't speak your language well, and why? Is it just because of the communication barrier, or are there other reasons?

    Thanks in advance for sharing.

    I would really love to know your thoughts.
    I believe that 2 people should decide to date based on alot of things, language is a major part of dating! To be able to express your love for each other in poetic ways, to spill out your hati!. Ask yourself this, is the love interest so strong, that you are willing to learn an entire language for Someone? My answer is yes, I do not speak bahasa very well, but I'm learning satu per satu my sayangku is my passion and I am blessed to make that decision to date her.

    So with your question it's not the language barrier, you can easily break that barrier. But the real reason that you choose not to date someone is because you don't have a connection. A connection is made almost immediately in my opinion. You will be swept away off your feet and float as the butterflies take you on a ride of mystery, love, fear, excitement, passion, and enlightenment. I hope my opinion helps
    seoulsearch and mochi like this.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    ... well, her English is better than my Russian...

    (j/k)

  16. #36
    Senior Member toinena's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,179
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    How did I miss this thread???? (I am still searching for the rant-thread.....)

    I was married to a Finnish guy. He didn't speak Norwegian, and I didn't speak Finnish. I learned Finnish.... he waited 10 years before trying to learn Norwegian. (he didn't do a great job on it, might I add). We spoke English together. For me, I didn't have any problems expressing myself. I seldom do. But I sometimes felt frustrated by that he didn't always understand my English. It can be quite frustrating to explain myself.

    It didn't work out very well. Perhaps his violence was a result of a deeper frustration over lacking communicative skills. I don't want to excuse him, and I understand everything he said in Finnish anyway. Most of it was just verbal abuse and cussing so I wish I didn't.

    Now..... Being older and wiser, I would say that we need to be able to communicate better and deeper than a basic language provides. I think Wong Filmore's studies upon the use of emotional impact would be valid in this discussion as well. I think I couldn't marry a Finn again, because it is the most depressing sounding language in the world. Or. If he was from the Swedish speaking minority, I wouldn't have any questions about it. I find that variety of Swedish very attractive, and it is somehow my second mothertongue. A Swede would also do. Or a native English speaker. I might not have the grammar right, but I think I make myself understood mostly. And I comprehend most English speakers as well. I had problems with some North English accents and some how the accent spoken in New York didn't agree with me. Or perhaps it was because I was in Queens.

    So my answer is. If God wants me to marry, I hope it is not with someone from Queens or Manchester.
    seoulsearch and Magenta like this.
    Brrrr! Humbug!

    Make the world happy, play the bassoon.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,662
    Rep Power
    125

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    No, I would not. Words are far too important to me. More important than actions, actually.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  18. #38


    Zi
    Zi is offline
    Senior Member Zi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    I enjoy teaching and being taught. I could sit for hours.

    But not by self proclaimed know it all folks..
    The above is for those who might scratch their chin due to my interaction online
    Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    Exactly.

    I have been dealing with so many non native English speakers over the years and sometimes I just wanted to bang my head against the nearest wall when the communication went south.

    Mind you, I wasn't married to them. I can just imagine how frustrating that would have been.
    ,

  19. #39
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,662
    Rep Power
    125

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zi View Post
    I enjoy teaching and being taught. I could sit for hours.

    But not by self proclaimed know it all folks..
    The above is for those who might scratch their chin due to my interaction online
    You would rather be taught by know it alls who are not self proclaimed? At least the self proclaimed know it alls are self aware. People who are know it alls unknown to themselves, are not very self aware.

    Which begs the question, since some know it alls are self proclaimed, does that mean they actually know it all? The know it alls unexamined, must not know it all.

    This makes me think of Thomas Carlyle “Know thyself!”. I believe it was Carlyle.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2017
    Age
    32
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Would You Date Someone Who Didn't Speak Your Native Language Very Well?

    not a problem. so long she's:
    1. Christian
    2. virgin
    3. loves you
    (yes, in that exact order)

    language barrier wont be a problem. normally, we'll just use english language as the middle ground, and if needed, just learn each other's native language.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your native language?
    By SovereignGrace in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 03:53 PM
  2. Praying, but using one's native language?
    By Kenitay in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM
  3. Kia Ora( that is native new zealand language for hello)
    By riac in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 21st, 2010, 01:14 AM
  4. Replies: 46
    Last Post: November 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
  5. The Blind Date (You Wish You Didn't Have to See.)
    By seoulsearch in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: August 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM