Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Hellooo
  • 1 Post By Dino246
  • 2 Post By Hellooo
  • 1 Post By toinena
  • 2 Post By Prov910
  • 1 Post By Tommy379
  • 1 Post By cinder

Christian Singles Forum

Christian and single? Seek (or give) advice and encouragement here.

Thread: Til death do us part...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,562
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Til death do us part...

    Okay, it's not what you think...

    Are there any quality products in your life that have lasted forever? A pair of shoes, some cookware, a bag? Share!

    I have a jansport backpack from my middle school days that my kid brother is now using in high school. Also, my ti-83 graphing calculator was passed down from me to my brother, the 6th owner, it's about 18 years old.

    my parents have been using the same mortar and pestle to crush garlic and spices for as long as I can remember. I'm guessing my mom's kitchen aid mixer and singer sewing machine are nearly as old as I am, both still fully functional.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    I have a Victorinox pocket knife that I've had for over 35 years. It's peeled hundreds of oranges, nicked thousands of bananas, and been sharpened so many times (badly, at first) that the blade edge is concave. It lost its plastic covers years ago. I bought a replacement once, and hardly used it because the old one still worked adequately. I will note that the corkscrew is vastly underused however.
    Prov910 likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,562
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    oooh, that's a good one, Dino! I have a pocket knife I don't use except for the corkscrew part
    Dino246 and Prov910 like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member toinena's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,187
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    I have a sweater I knitted when I was 16 that I still use when it is cold. And especially for Christmas.
    Prov910 likes this.
    Brrrr! Humbug!

    Make the world happy, play the bassoon.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Prov910's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2017
    Age
    56
    Posts
    672
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    I have a corkscrew that I bought in college. In college it went missing for a few weeks. Then I found it in a fellow's room down the hall. (He "borrowed" it.) So I put a label maker label on it with my initials. The label is still on it.

    Yeraza_Bats and Dino246 like this.
    ================================================== ===========
    10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding. Prov. 9:10

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    I have a Swing-A-Way can opener that has lasted more than 20 years now.
    PLEASE NOTE: The "Swing-A-Way" name has been bought by some other, less reliable company and they are no longer nearly as good as they were. Look for Ecko can openers these days, that's the company that made the original Swing-A-Way.

    And of course, you know I have to mention this one... ThinkPads. I think my laptops will outlive me. Sometimes I might have to replace a CMOS battery or a hard drive (both are expected to fail, they won't last forever) but I consider that just general maintenance. My problem is how do I throw away a perfectly good laptop just because it's too old to run a modern OS?
    Last edited by Lynx; 1 Week Ago at 02:10 PM.
    "Do you sing at church?"
    "Yes I sing at church. And I sing at work. And I sing at home... and in the car... at the supermarket... at Wal-Mart..."

  7. #7
    Senior Member toinena's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,187
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I have a Swing-A-Way can opener that has lasted more than 20 years now.
    PLEASE NOTE: The "Swing-A-Way" name has been bought by some other, less reliable company and they are no longer nearly as good as they were. Look for Ecko can openers these days, that's the company that made the original Swing-A-Way.

    And of course, you know I have to mention this one... ThinkPads. I think my laptops will outlive me. Sometimes I might have to replace a CMOS battery or a hard drive (both are expected to fail, they won't last forever) but I consider that just general maintenance. My problem is how do I throw away a perfectly good laptop just because it's too old to run a modern OS?
    I never throw away a laptop, unless I have driven over it with my wheelchair. You can always run an DSL pendrive on it. A man of your "nerdity" can't have too many laptops. ( I am having four. And a fith that I will try to resurrect when I have time. Two belong to my work, though). And a PC. That has to be resurrected too. It is something with the BIOS. It is locked, some how.
    Brrrr! Humbug!

    Make the world happy, play the bassoon.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,297
    Rep Power
    62

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    My ford has about quarter million miles on it. Replaced the spark plugs once.
    Prov910 likes this.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  9. #9
    Senior Member cinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2014
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,332
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    My furniture, nearly all of it, the bed and dresser I got when I was 10 I think, the bookshelf I believe is one my dad pulled out of someone's junk pile before I was born (I did repaint it), and my desk I believe is also older than me but it was my mom's while I was growing up. Only piece of furniture that was bought new in the past decade or less is the DVD bookcase thing I bought off of Amazon earlier this year. And though I think about replacing some things, usually my reason for doing so doesn't justify the cost of buying something new.
    christian74 likes this.
    When you do love a thing, its gladness is a reason for loving it, and its sadness a reason for loving it more. - GK Chesterton

    The true definition of love is sacrifice.

    Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor; only fools insist on quarreling. - Prov 20:3

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,278
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    Quote Originally Posted by toinena View Post
    I never throw away a laptop, unless I have driven over it with my wheelchair. You can always run an DSL pendrive on it. A man of your "nerdity" can't have too many laptops. ( I am having four. And a fith that I will try to resurrect when I have time. Two belong to my work, though). And a PC. That has to be resurrected too. It is something with the BIOS. It is locked, some how.
    Yeah but what can you do with DSL? I mean it works, it's a functional distro, it does basic things... ever try to get Audacity running on it?

    Puppy now, THERE'S a good lightweight distro.

    The BIOS locked computer, I'm assuming you already tried disconnecting the CMOS battery and letting it sit for a few minutes? Also what was the boot order when it last worked? True story: A laptop was set to boot from USB first (flash drive OS ftw!) and it kept hanging at boot because one of the USB ports had been mangled and the pins were touching each other and shorting out.
    "Do you sing at church?"
    "Yes I sing at church. And I sing at work. And I sing at home... and in the car... at the supermarket... at Wal-Mart..."

  11. #11
    Senior Member Daylilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    Jackets from Lands' End - they are so warm and will hold up through just about anything! Nalgene bottles last forever too, although I did replace mine to get BPA-free ones. Cannon cameras are awesome as well!

  12. #12
    Member HisPeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2017
    Age
    51
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    I have some vintage kitchen utensils that were handed down or actually purchased on purpose...the kind with the smooth wooden handle over stainless and brass rivets. They are simply the best, made in the USA and will last forever!

  13. #13
    Senior Member toinena's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,187
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Til death do us part...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Yeah but what can you do with DSL? I mean it works, it's a functional distro, it does basic things... ever try to get Audacity running on it?

    Puppy now, THERE'S a good lightweight distro.

    The BIOS locked computer, I'm assuming you already tried disconnecting the CMOS battery and letting it sit for a few minutes? Also what was the boot order when it last worked? True story: A laptop was set to boot from USB first (flash drive OS ftw!) and it kept hanging at boot because one of the USB ports had been mangled and the pins were touching each other and shorting out.
    You know I am a dog person.... And puppies are adorable. Ah. The Linux puppy. I think I could name a puppy Linux. No. I haven't tried audacity on It, but all Linux versions I have had I think I have had audacity running too.

    As for the BIOS problem. It has no battery. It is a pc. A box. With a cable. ( I speak like a person waking up in the middle of the night that doesn't wear glasses and only wants to go back to sleep....). I tried booting it with a sub pen drive and DVD. I'll give it one last try before I throw it out. But that will be after December 7th.
    Brrrr! Humbug!

    Make the world happy, play the bassoon.

Similar Threads

  1. Physical death or spiritual death?
    By Larry_Stotle in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 14th, 2014, 12:31 PM
  2. Christ is Risen from the dead, trampling down death by death!
    By GeorgeGordon in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 27th, 2013, 10:47 PM
  3. Put to death the things that are against God and part of this world.
    By biggiestomp in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
  4. Till death do us part
    By jonathanbchristian in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: December 26th, 2011, 07:19 PM
  5. Til death do we part
    By Saint in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM