Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Christian Singles Forum

Christian and single? Seek (or give) advice and encouragement here.

Thread: Meet the Parents

  1. #1
    Rissa77
    Guest

    Default Meet the Parents

    So.. I'm curious.

    When do you introduce your significant (or possible significant) other to your parents?
    Do they already know him/her?
    Do you make a formal arrangement of it?
    What have you done in the past or plan to do in the future?
    Do your parents even care to meet him/her?
    Are they overzealous? Do they pry?


    My dad doesn't care. My mom cares too much. So I get a balance I guess. I plan on a formal arrangement with both parents and lay the intentions on the table. I want them involved in some manner and see the progression. The blessing also matters to me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member evelina's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    obviously my parents would know that there is something going on with me (if i would have a significant)
    because im really bad at hiding feelings, i would always have that big smile on my face
    my parents they are a huge part in my life they really close to me , i know i can count on them especially my dad.
    My Parents are always curious about me in every way ...

    if i would have a significant i would like to introduce him to my parents not right aways of course ( first i have to know that he is the one with whom i will share the rest of my life... i'm usually not dating/ and i never dated and i don't know why) ...

    i would tell my parents: okay today i will bring my significant to dinner with, i would like to introduce him ( it all depense if my significant has time and bla bla bla )

    So thats what i would do, i don't have much experience on that ... but if u never try u will never know
    thats what i would do ...

    Probably if it comes to this i will maybe change my mind in some points ....
    thats what i plan for now

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,064
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Mine would be more like, *Meet the chidren*.

    Have only gone through that once since my marriage ended and it was very tough for me to reconcile it all together to know I was making the right choice.

    I would VERY much like to be in the *meet the parents* boat. LOL Sooooooo much easier!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2011
    Age
    21
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Took me 9 months. And even then I was forced.
    I hate my sperm and egg donars -_-

  5. #5
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    9,976
    Rep Power
    131

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Sorry to hear that, Pro Ret...

    I adore my parents, though when I was in my teen years... not so much. Though they were the strictest around and hated all the "limitations"... Once I got out of the house, I never went to visit much, except on holidays, birthdays, etc. Then they moved away... Now I miss them like crazy and love going to see them! They came home for Christmas one year and had helped me with some things and bought me a pair of shoes... My co-workers well all like, "Forget the shoes, we want your parents!!"

    I wish I had a good answer, Rissa (this is an excellent topic for a thread!!) but for me... If I do meet someone, I would wait for the relationship to become serious, and then I'd hope I could take him to meet my parents--I've even talked about it with them, LOL, and since they have two rooms that could be converted for guests, they'd be thrilled if I brought someone to meet them!!!

    I actually pray about this, that whoever God has for me, we'll love not only each other, but each other's families as well, and vice versa. I pray for in-laws who have similar values... and are willing put up with my personality quirks.
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    "The only thing predictable about you...
    is that you're totally unpredictable." -- Anonymous CC member.








  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2010
    Age
    44
    Posts
    12,810
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    My parents are both gone now, but I think it's a good idea for your folks to meet someone you feel you are getting serious about (if you are close to your parents). My parents knew me very well and were very good guages as to whether the person I was dating was a good match for me or whether I was looking at the relationship with rose colored glasses.

  7. #7
    Rissa77
    Guest

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    It's not bad to have not dated until you're 20. To me, dating younger is pointless if marriage isn't even an option.

    Aw, Grace. You're precious.

    Sorry to hear that, Julianna.

    Seoulsearch, I pray for the same. Taking him to meet the parents when they live farther away may just be better when the relationship is serious. In my case, our homes are 30 minutes away from each other (we go to the same college). But may I ask you... what would you do in my case? ::

    In June, I will be taking a 3.5 hour trip to Memphis to see a graduation of friends in a ministry school that I graduated from a year ago. It would be a one-day thing - there and back. My pastor is there, and my spiritual family, my church, and some relatives to boot. My mother will be going with me. I hope to take him too, but a friend of mine brought up the idea of meeting each other's parents before the trip. I would have waited a little longer, considering as of right now, we're praying about God's will in a supposed relationship. By June, it would have only been a few weeks since a courtship started.

    I think meeting them early is a good and bad thing. I want their blessing. He said his mother would LOVE me, and I think my mom will warm up to him once her apprehension melts. I also don't want either parents to get preconceived notions and hopes up when, really, we're still just friends and though we will be courting to see whether we are meant to marry, we have no idea on the matter. It's serious in intent. Not serious in action. lol But then again, his mom meeting me before I take her son on a trip out of state may be a wise thing to do. lol

    In the end, I know meeting them early will be the decision. How to approach it and how to explain the relationship to them may be the trick to make sure things start out smooth.

  8. #8
    Junior Member 89orchids's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Sweet question, Rissa!
    I wouldnt date a guy until my family met him and i got parents and pastor's approval. He'd ask my dad for permission to ask me on a date; it's not a necessity thing, it's a respect thing in my opinion. I'd want him to get to know my family and be a good friend of my dad and brother. Plus, i'd prefer to be friends for quite awhile before we got into a relationship - that way he and i would have similar friends, know each other, etc. I'd even prefer that we went to the same church for awhile. But God can do whatever He wants to do. We'll see (:

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,064
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Quote Originally Posted by 89orchids View Post
    Sweet question, Rissa!
    I wouldnt date a guy until my family met him and i got parents and pastor's approval. He'd ask my dad for permission to ask me on a date; it's not a necessity thing, it's a respect thing in my opinion. I'd want him to get to know my family and be a good friend of my dad and brother. Plus, i'd prefer to be friends for quite awhile before we got into a relationship - that way he and i would have similar friends, know each other, etc. I'd even prefer that we went to the same church for awhile. But God can do whatever He wants to do. We'll see (:
    Sounds like you desire courtship. He would *pursue* you, but with no defined relationship, boyfriend/girlfriend roles.

    Nothing wrong with doing things this way. Best to you.

    Blessings

  10. #10
    Junior Member 89orchids's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Sounds like you desire courtship. He would *pursue* you, but with no defined relationship, boyfriend/girlfriend roles.

    Nothing wrong with doing things this way. Best to you.

    Blessings
    Thanks for the best wishes!
    In all actuality, what i was describing could be called courtship. However, after gaining my parents' approval, I would be so fine with going out on dates with him and calling him my boyfriend.
    When the time comes, we'll see (:

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2011
    Age
    21
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Parents approval xD I don't think mines have ever liked anyone ive brought home

  12. #12
    Tobby17
    Guest

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    P_R, you're 14. So it's understandable if they don't like em . You're probably bringing in immature 12 and 13 years old girls,Just Kidding.

    THE Question. If you're both serious, then show him to THEM.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2011
    Age
    21
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    IM 15 DANG IT ALMOST 16 !!!! Okay thats it Im making a thread xD Actually my last bf was 17 so that might of been why Lol :P But there was nothing wrong with my ex gf well nothing they knew about -_- I got the paranoid clingy insanity all to myself. They just do it to get on my nerves.

  14. #14
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    9,976
    Rep Power
    131

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa77 View Post
    It's not bad to have not dated until you're 20. To me, dating younger is pointless if marriage isn't even an option.

    Aw, Grace. You're precious.

    Sorry to hear that, Julianna.

    Seoulsearch, I pray for the same. Taking him to meet the parents when they live farther away may just be better when the relationship is serious. In my case, our homes are 30 minutes away from each other (we go to the same college). But may I ask you... what would you do in my case? ::

    In June, I will be taking a 3.5 hour trip to Memphis to see a graduation of friends in a ministry school that I graduated from a year ago. It would be a one-day thing - there and back. My pastor is there, and my spiritual family, my church, and some relatives to boot. My mother will be going with me. I hope to take him too, but a friend of mine brought up the idea of meeting each other's parents before the trip. I would have waited a little longer, considering as of right now, we're praying about God's will in a supposed relationship. By June, it would have only been a few weeks since a courtship started.

    I think meeting them early is a good and bad thing. I want their blessing. He said his mother would LOVE me, and I think my mom will warm up to him once her apprehension melts. I also don't want either parents to get preconceived notions and hopes up when, really, we're still just friends and though we will be courting to see whether we are meant to marry, we have no idea on the matter. It's serious in intent. Not serious in action. lol But then again, his mom meeting me before I take her son on a trip out of state may be a wise thing to do. lol

    In the end, I know meeting them early will be the decision. How to approach it and how to explain the relationship to them may be the trick to make sure things start out smooth.
    This is just my own two cents worth, but I think maybe waiting a little while (at least until you've established that there is a relationship?) may be better... As you said, if you introduce each other at this point, the parents especially may perceive that there's something there and push you in that direction, even it it's not meant to be... I personally think waiting until this trip and introducing him to your Mom then might be better (less pressure, perhaps? Because the focus will be more on the trip than on the two of you?)

    But... it's just my opinions .
    Catfish are for catching, not for courting. Who is the person you're really talking to?

    "The only thing predictable about you...
    is that you're totally unpredictable." -- Anonymous CC member.








  15. #15
    NukePooch
    Guest

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    This is just my own two cents worth, but I think maybe waiting a little while (at least until you've established that there is a relationship?) may be better... As you said, if you introduce each other at this point, the parents especially may perceive that there's something there and push you in that direction, even it it's not meant to be... I personally think waiting until this trip and introducing him to your Mom then might be better (less pressure, perhaps? Because the focus will be more on the trip than on the two of you?)

    But... it's just my opinions .
    I personally like to have blind first dates over to my parents' for dinner... After dessert, we move right on to engagement and marriage, and finish the night with a divorce. The way I see it, get all the good parts out of the way at first...

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2011
    Age
    21
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    You forgot have a huge argument and then have crappy make up sex, that should come just before the divorce.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Liamson's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,077
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    Someone has been watching too many movies.
    To say that love flows in my veins, unopposed deep, A thousand ways.

  18. #18
    XboughtwithapriceX
    Guest

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    O.o
    wow ohkay...

    Before I even think about him meeting my parents as a potential future partner I would want to be sure that he is a good christian man, you know, watch from a distance first, he would probably be introduced among a group of friends to my parents so it doesn't look like we are intentionally doing a "meet the future partner" meet up. My parents would see him the way he naturally is,not under the spotlight of my dad sitting across the kitchen table eyeballing him... no I am kidding, my dad wouldn't do that...I think.
    But yeah, If I decided that there was a possibility and he was a good faithful christian man then I would start talking to my parents about him before they meet him in the intentional manner and hear there thoughts on it, if that goes well, he would then be able to meet my parents, ask for their blessing and yeah...

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2011
    Age
    23
    Posts
    627
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Meet the Parents

    I got interegated by my gf's entire family... it was slightly awkward but most of them were hammered at the time so

  20. #20
    Psalm2713
    Guest

    Wink Re: Meet the Parents

    Quote Originally Posted by Protection_Retribution View Post
    You forgot have a huge argument and then have crappy make up sex, that should come just before the divorce.

    wow!!!(not a good thing)..... what have you been watching/listening to? ... get your self some good wise friends ... pse watch good moviies and listen to good music.... ;-)... it should clear your thinking...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Adoption story
    By aprilrenee1 in forum Testimonies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 15th, 2010, 02:32 AM
  2. Tell Us All Why You Love Your Parents.
    By seoulsearch in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 20th, 2010, 04:33 AM
  3. "If two chrstians meet, they will meat again"
    By PRAIASEmyGOD in forum Christian Young Adults Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM
  4. meet the parents
    By miss_giggles in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
  5. Obeying Parents
    By thefightinglamb in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM