Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 167
Like Tree289Likes

Indian Christian Forum

From India, or interested in India, and want to talk about Jesus? Join our Indian Christian fellowship!

Thread: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

  1. #41
    Senior Member peacenik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2016
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,983
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieAnt View Post
    I suffered from Anorexia and Bulimia for many, many years until I looked like a skeleton. It almost killed me. It took a medical nutritionist to help me find what works best for me. Now I just eat healthy and maintain a normal weight. I rarely dine out and hardly ever eat fast food. I buy fresh produce and cook/bake everything from scratch, mostly organic ingredients if I can get them. Pre-packaged & over-refined foods literally make me sick.





    I'm very glad to know you are taking care of yourself. People must never overlook the importance of doing your own cooking. After all, you do NOT know what is in the food you eat in restaurants or fast "food" joints. Do you own cooking, count calories, avoid fatty foods, and eat more green veggies.


    Good health to all!
    Magenta and AuntieAnt like this.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    824
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
    There is a lot of info out there about health and fitness. Most of it is wrong..

    People think that getting fit will make them healthy. Its actually the other way around. Getting healthy will make them fit.
    There is a lot of information out there about health and fitness that is not wrong. It is quite useful.

    Getting healthy, or eating healthy will not get you fit, Sorry. I have been a runner and a cyclist most of my life. I was a nationally ranked middle distance runner at the age of 15. My wife was a two time national champion soccer player, a winning cyclist, a nearly pro level tennis player, and a semi-pro volleyball player. We train hard at the gym and on the trails. She eats healthy most of the time. I eat healthy some of the time. At 6'3", I would prefer to weigh under 180 pounds, in order to be more competitive on my bike and improve my run times. But I indulge in slightly larger portions and eat deserts.

    Let me tell you why I disagree with your conclusion about health over fitness. I've been watching the Olympics since 1968. They often do an up close and personal segment on top athletes during the games. It was not uncommon to discover that the fastest quarter miler on the planet was raised by his mother in a housing project and was fed animal crackers, potato chips, hot dogs, and coca cola. They were such tremendous athletes with such dedication and commitment to training, that even a terrible diet couldn't prevent them from becoming the top athlete in the world. This has been true of many top African-American athletes

    Back when I first became a Christian, I was often invited over to the home of a Christian family for fellowship and Bible study. They sometimes asked me about my diet, which I told them was not particularly healthy. They suggested I purchase some of the products their family was eating, including supplements. I use to joke with them that they could eat those products every day and take supplements every day and they would never be able to keep up with me on even a slow five mile run. They may have been healthy, but they had no muscle tone, no core strength, no cardio.

    All you need to do is spend some time around high level athletes, people in the top 1% of the top 1%, and you will quickly discover that fitness is king. It actually allows athletes to overindulge in foods that are not as healthy, if they choose. They burn so many calories, it is difficult for them to eat enough food to keep up with what their bodies need.

    If you disagree with me, I'd be interested in hearing why you think getting healthy will make you fit.
    Ariel82, mar09 and Magenta like this.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    824
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by peacenik View Post
    I'm very glad to know you are taking care of yourself. People must never overlook the importance of doing your own cooking. After all, you do NOT know what is in the food you eat in restaurants or fast "food" joints. Do you own cooking, count calories, avoid fatty foods, and eat more green veggies.


    Good health to all!
    I just posted above and discussed my personal feelings that a person is not truly healthy by simply eating right. They must exercise. The exercise must be intense enough to increase ones heart rate above 120bpm and keep it there for maybe 45 minutes. Some of us exercise for 3-4 hours, doing very intense cardio workouts. These are in addition to strength and flexibility work in the gym several times a week.

    Most of the vegans and vegetarians I know are thin, yet they are not fit. They have healthy diets but they do not get in nearly enough exercise. Cardio is king. Include some strength exercises and plenty of stretching, but spend most of your workouts doing cardio. Run or bike or swim and keep your heart rate up for at least 45 minutes, if you can work up to that.


    I'd love to say that my diet is superb, but it is not. I had some tomatoes and carrots and asparagus with my lemon peppered salmon tonight, but tomorrow I might go buy a pizza or eat a burger and fries and follow it with a pint of ice cream. I guess I like the taste and know that I will burn it off while riding my bike 30 miles in the mountains.
    Magenta likes this.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2012
    Age
    41
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnerman View Post
    There is a lot of information out there about health and fitness that is not wrong. It is quite useful.

    Getting healthy, or eating healthy will not get you fit, Sorry. I have been a runner and a cyclist most of my life. I was a nationally ranked middle distance runner at the age of 15. My wife was a two time national champion soccer player, a winning cyclist, a nearly pro level tennis player, and a semi-pro volleyball player. We train hard at the gym and on the trails. She eats healthy most of the time. I eat healthy some of the time. At 6'3", I would prefer to weigh under 180 pounds, in order to be more competitive on my bike and improve my run times. But I indulge in slightly larger portions and eat deserts.

    Let me tell you why I disagree with your conclusion about health over fitness. I've been watching the Olympics since 1968. They often do an up close and personal segment on top athletes during the games. It was not uncommon to discover that the fastest quarter miler on the planet was raised by his mother in a housing project and was fed animal crackers, potato chips, hot dogs, and coca cola. They were such tremendous athletes with such dedication and commitment to training, that even a terrible diet couldn't prevent them from becoming the top athlete in the world. This has been true of many top African-American athletes

    Back when I first became a Christian, I was often invited over to the home of a Christian family for fellowship and Bible study. They sometimes asked me about my diet, which I told them was not particularly healthy. They suggested I purchase some of the products their family was eating, including supplements. I use to joke with them that they could eat those products every day and take supplements every day and they would never be able to keep up with me on even a slow five mile run. They may have been healthy, but they had no muscle tone, no core strength, no cardio.

    All you need to do is spend some time around high level athletes, people in the top 1% of the top 1%, and you will quickly discover that fitness is king. It actually allows athletes to overindulge in foods that are not as healthy, if they choose. They burn so many calories, it is difficult for them to eat enough food to keep up with what their bodies need.

    If you disagree with me, I'd be interested in hearing why you think getting healthy will make you fit.
    If you read all my post, I included that challenging your body was part of health. There is something called organ reserve. Your organs can take a beating for so long and they can compensate for wrong food choices and chemicals but eventually they just stop doing what they were supposed to be doing. Your digestive system gets the nutrients out of food for energy and repair. Other systems deliver nutrients and then other ones gather and deliver the waste products out of the body. Premature aging and ALL disease are from a breakdown in one or all of these systems. Most young people, like Olympic athletes haven't reached the point of failure yet. We can deal with specifics if you want but the rule of thumb is what I said it was. Obesity is often caused by insulin resistance. God has designed the body to try to self regulate, homeostasis. If you get too much of something it tries to balance. Your cells use a combination of glucose and oxygen for fuel. Too much sugar throws off the balance so the cells become less sensitive to the insulin, which is the key for glucose getting into the cell. then the blood sugar goes up. Since God created us with fat cells to hold extra energy for seasonal food shortages It goes there. Here's the kicker, we don't have seasonal food shortages anymore. Then too much or the wrong exercise and too little food triggers the starvation protocol to slow down metabolism increasing fat storage even more. All animals including humans are designed for survival and reproduction. Eating and sex. That is the total desire of natural man. Because we were created as flesh and spirit we have an immortal soul and a carnal body. This is the dichotomy of man. These two parts battle for supremacy. Sugar and sex leave a dopamine imprint on our brain for survival. That's what makes both of these things highly addictive. When taken in normal amounts like natural food and sex with your spouse, the dopamine leaves a small signature and it just makes us want more. Today the amount of sugar in food and sex everywhere we look leaves a large dopamine signature and causes desire to become out of control.
    mar09 and Magenta like this.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    824
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    I think if you are going to mention obesity, it is best not to suggest it is often caused by insulin resistance. It's the same as casually mentioning exercise, like it is merely a small component to overall health. And again, healthy dieting does not create fitness. Exercise creates fitness.

    Obesity is out of control in the United States. Since it was first tracked by the Center For Disease Control in the early 80's, there has been a steady increase in the number of people who have become obese. Almost all of them simply ate too much and insulin had nothing to do with them becoming obese. Furthermore, the CDC has had to create new categories describing how overweight people are. They start off as overweight, then become obese, then morbidly obese, then super obese. The CDC added another category called super super obese. I don't recall the exact percentage of body fat is assigned to each category. Perhaps you feel obesity is a disease. Perhaps it's merely gluttony. It is obvious that people eat too much, too often, and then do little or nothing to burn off the excessive calories. These people can often be found at all-you-can eat buffets, gorging themselves. They visit fast food restaurants and super-size their orders. They follow an enormous feeding with large desert portions. Then they go sit on a sofa and watch television. It's obscene. Yet there are many cultures in the world that do not choose to over indulge when eating meals. They could, if they wanted, but they choose not to. Americans seem to lack the will power to cut back on calories and then they blame the people who sold them their food, as though they couldn't resist buying it.

    I'm lucky. My wife and I exercise a lot. We probably are in the top 1% on a fitness scale. We love to exercise and do it every day and push ourselves to our limits. We have to find other expert level athletes to train with as average people our age can't maintain the pace and intensity of our bike rides and our runs. I guess that once it becomes a lifestyle, it doesn't seem like work. It seems like a lot of fun for us.

  6. #46
    Senior Member peacenik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2016
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,983
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Good food with a reasonable amount of exercise is good for everyone.
    49, Magenta and AuntieAnt like this.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2012
    Age
    41
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Sinnerman, if I'm understanding you correctly then you think that fat people are victims of their own choosing and hopping on a treadmill and eating less will solve the epidemic. To a degree you are right. Yes like I have said all along exercise is part of health which leads to fitness. This however is what you keep avoiding, the information out there sucks! First of all the diet recommended by mainstream has way too many carbs. Second, moderate exercise like walking or leisurely biking for an hour a day actually slows down your metabolism, especially if you dial back your calories. Thirdly, once you get too much fat on you the body, it starts pumping out estrogen and it makes it harder, especially for men to lose weight. As well, losing weight by restricting calories causes your body to lose calorie burning muscle, further lowering your metabolism. When you get overweight your leptin response, the hormone that tells you you are full, fails, so you feel hungry all of the time. The sugar you also ate caused dopamine to flood your brain to the point where you need more and more to feel satiated, you are addicted! I am in the top thousand of fitness. I'm at about 7% body fat, 5'8", 175lbs and can run faster than everybody I know including the youths I train. I'm not defending obesity because I don't want to get in shape. I just know the facts. Here is the cure for obesity not because I think so, but because this is how the body works, because God designed it that way. First you need to give up sugar just about completely for two weeks. This increases insulin sensitivity and is the beginning to stopping the addiction. Just like cigarettes or alcohol, the best way to stop is cold turkey. Next you need to puree a lot of food in a blender to get maximum nutrients out of food and it allows your colon to heal from kicking the crap out of it (pun not intended). Salads, lentils and lots of veggies for like two weeks but maintaining the caloric intake minus 400 calories. After that you can increase protein with whey shakes. Still blend a bit of food but keep it plain to allow gut bacteria to increase. Things like apple cider vinegar assist with this. Think of how babies eat, we try not to irritate their digestion. Stay away from wheat! You need to exercise 3 times a week to start only for 45 mins but doing things with multiple body parts. Things like eliptical machines, resistance with weights ,contracting multiple muscles at once, but slow for two minutes and fast as possible for one. As fitness level increases you can add more weight. This is the trick, when you can do an exercise like walking your body adapts to it for survival. You don't need much muscle to do it but it takes energy so your body releases estrogen to lose calorie burning muscle and save energy for long bouts of walking. When you challenge yourself to the point where you can't do something your body can't use sugar for energy because it is only 4 calorie per gram so it uses a faster burning fuel, fat, 9 calories per gram (ketosis). This process is most effective when sugar stores are low, as soon as you wake up. It takes about two weeks for your body to adjust to this process but once you force your body to start, it will do it naturally as long as you are getting enough calories at least every three days, so restrict only about 300 calories for two to three days. Yes you have to count calories. Its just like a budget. If you don't starvation mode kicks in and you burn muscle and store fat to conserve calories. Challenging yourself tells your body it has to make some changes so it releases testosterone and growth hormone to build muscle and make repairs and it keeps you young. Eventually your diet can increase in variety but keep this in mind: protein needs an acidic stomach to break down food. Carbs alkalize your stomach, especially fruit. So organize your meals. Protein at lunch with veggies and vit C supplements because it helps get iron out of meat and assists in digestion. Protein and veggies at dinner and carb snack before bed. It helps the body sleep and is easier on digestion during sleep. I missed breakfast because your body functions better that way. I can bore you with the details later but I know this is already a lot.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Fenner's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2013
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,482
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    78

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Auntie Ann, I'm so glad you're healthy now. I used to be bulemic. I am still paying the price of the damage I did to my teeth. Eating disorders are a huge problem. My Cousins Daughter had anorexia at just 10 years old. She had to be hospitalized to help. She's now a healthy young woman, but even at that young age how we appear to ourselves affects us.
    Magenta and AuntieAnt like this.

  9. #49
    Senior Member AuntieAnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,635
    Rep Power
    85

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    I think eating healthy and moderate exercise is excellent for anyone. What I especially recommend is exercise and/or activities that are fun and that make you feel happy. That way there's less chance you'll get discouraged and quit. There is walking, running, weight training, biking, swimming, treadmill, Pilates, etc.

    Also, as the Word tells us, exercise profits us little and all things in moderation. It's one thing to aim to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It's quite another to be obsessed with your body and believe your worth is measured by any outward appearance. Our bodies are perishing whether we're fit or not.
    Fenner, 49 and Magenta like this.

    John 15:12
    Love one another the way I love you.

    I Corinthians 13:4-8
    Love is patient and kind, it’s not jealous, doesn’t boast, isn’t proud, rude or self-seeking, isn’t easily angered, and keeps no records of wrongs. Love never fails.

  10. #50
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,181
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    255

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    I've been fat a lot in my lifetime. It's my gee's.

    "Gee, I sure want to eat that."
    You look slim and trim to me.
    Magenta likes this.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    824
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
    Sinnerman, if I'm understanding you correctly then you think that fat people are victims of their own choosing and hopping on a treadmill and eating less will solve the epidemic. To a degree you are right. Yes like I have said all along exercise is part of health which leads to fitness. This however is what you keep avoiding, the information out there sucks! First of all the diet recommended by mainstream has way too many carbs. Second, moderate exercise like walking or leisurely biking for an hour a day actually slows down your metabolism, especially if you dial back your calories. Thirdly, once you get too much fat on you the body, it starts pumping out estrogen and it makes it harder, especially for men to lose weight. As well, losing weight by restricting calories causes your body to lose calorie burning muscle, further lowering your metabolism. When you get overweight your leptin response, the hormone that tells you you are full, fails, so you feel hungry all of the time. The sugar you also ate caused dopamine to flood your brain to the point where you need more and more to feel satiated, you are addicted! I am in the top thousand of fitness. I'm at about 7% body fat, 5'8", 175lbs and can run faster than everybody I know including the youths I train. I'm not defending obesity because I don't want to get in shape. I just know the facts. Here is the cure for obesity not because I think so, but because this is how the body works, because God designed it that way. First you need to give up sugar just about completely for two weeks. This increases insulin sensitivity and is the beginning to stopping the addiction. Just like cigarettes or alcohol, the best way to stop is cold turkey. Next you need to puree a lot of food in a blender to get maximum nutrients out of food and it allows your colon to heal from kicking the crap out of it (pun not intended). Salads, lentils and lots of veggies for like two weeks but maintaining the caloric intake minus 400 calories. After that you can increase protein with whey shakes. Still blend a bit of food but keep it plain to allow gut bacteria to increase. Things like apple cider vinegar assist with this. Think of how babies eat, we try not to irritate their digestion. Stay away from wheat! You need to exercise 3 times a week to start only for 45 mins but doing things with multiple body parts. Things like eliptical machines, resistance with weights ,contracting multiple muscles at once, but slow for two minutes and fast as possible for one. As fitness level increases you can add more weight. This is the trick, when you can do an exercise like walking your body adapts to it for survival. You don't need much muscle to do it but it takes energy so your body releases estrogen to lose calorie burning muscle and save energy for long bouts of walking. When you challenge yourself to the point where you can't do something your body can't use sugar for energy because it is only 4 calorie per gram so it uses a faster burning fuel, fat, 9 calories per gram (ketosis). This process is most effective when sugar stores are low, as soon as you wake up. It takes about two weeks for your body to adjust to this process but once you force your body to start, it will do it naturally as long as you are getting enough calories at least every three days, so restrict only about 300 calories for two to three days. Yes you have to count calories. Its just like a budget. If you don't starvation mode kicks in and you burn muscle and store fat to conserve calories. Challenging yourself tells your body it has to make some changes so it releases testosterone and growth hormone to build muscle and make repairs and it keeps you young. Eventually your diet can increase in variety but keep this in mind: protein needs an acidic stomach to break down food. Carbs alkalize your stomach, especially fruit. So organize your meals. Protein at lunch with veggies and vit C supplements because it helps get iron out of meat and assists in digestion. Protein and veggies at dinner and carb snack before bed. It helps the body sleep and is easier on digestion during sleep. I missed breakfast because your body functions better that way. I can bore you with the details later but I know this is already a lot.

    I really enjoy the details in your post. On the contrary, Peacenik's post was incredibly vague; Good food with a reasonable amount of exercise is good for everyone. It's almost meaningless, since you have to define good food and a reasonable amount of exercise. My morbidly obese sister use to bowl a couple times a week. Bowling burns the same amount of calories as ironing a shirt. Some would call that reasonable. People who are overweight will tend to say that a reasonable amount of exercise is walking around the block for 5 minutes and then eating a baked potato covered with butter and sour cream.

    Are you a serious weight lifter? Your weight is so out of proportion to your height. I will soon weigh the same as you and I'm 6'3". My wife is taller than you and weighs 135 pounds. She hiked up Mt. Whitney yesterday and is training to hike/run rim to rim to rim (46 miles) at the Grand Canyon.

    The information is not bad unless you are looking at only bad information. Athletes are better trained than ever before and often eat a perfectly balanced diet. I've read most of the same information you shared. There was a time when I ate a very disciplined diet. Not anymore. I eat what I like. I stuffed myself at a sushi bar a few days ago. I ate a fast food burger yesterday. Today I ate healthy. I have a few vegan friends who can't possibly keep up with me or my wife on mountain bike rides. The diet is fine, but it doesn't replace hard training. You see, diet is easy. It's not exhausting like hard exercise. I lifted weights this morning and then ran out in 100 degree temps for 45 minutes. My wife is running twice as long as me. She trains hard. Eating right is easy. Everything you need is at the grocery store. Modern grocery stores in the U.S. are huge and have foods from everywhere. But as easy as it is to eat right, I prefer to exercise a lot and indulge myself. I had a chocolate muffin after lunch today. A huge amount of sugar and calories.

    Information is trendy. First they tell you to increase carbs, and a few years later you need to decrease carbs. I use to read about an Indian tribe, the Tamahumara (sp) Indians, who diet on 80% carbs and do a lot of endurance running. I think Adkins talked about them in his books. I got good at training my body so I did not burn muscle and had plenty of quick burning carbs available. Recently, my friends and I are discovering that a loss of a mere 3% of water results in a 10% loss of performance. We drink water almost all the time. The U.S. women's marathon team was carrying their water bottles during the race because they wanted to hydrate in between official water stations.

    We bought a Ninja blender at Sam's Club. I use it mostly for smoothies. My wife blends some spinach and other vegetables. I am not going to blend food unless I have to. I love to go eat BBQ beef brisket and pizza and food from India and Thailand and Vietnam. We also eat carnitas about once a week. None of this is particularly healthy. But superior fitness gives us a lot of wiggle room in our diet. I don't disagree with most of your diet assessments, but I would say that most upper level athletes are so fit that they indulge in comfort foods.

  12. #52
    Senior Member peacenik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2016
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,983
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Peacenik's post was incredibly vague; Good food with a reasonable amount of exercise is good for everyone. It's almost meaningless, since you have to define good food and a reasonable amount of exercise.

    It's not too much of a stretch to assume that good food could possibly be defined as well balanced meals and reasonable exercise defined as that which benefits you the most. A doctor would be the best person to define that for you personally. I think most people have enough common sense to realize that.
    AuntieAnt likes this.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Elizabeth619's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,344
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by Glori View Post
    We are to glorify God in our body since our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19-20). Having a slim body does glorify God. Follow the Lord Jesus Christ's example. (Just to help Christians who really wish to lose weight but are unable, feel free to send me a private message and I'll help you.)
    So you're saying those who are fat don't glorify God? You really want to go here? I've been wanting to put people in their place all day and you may be that special person.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Elizabeth619's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,344
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Just realized this is an old thread. That's probably a good thing

  15. #55
    Senior Member taggerung's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 26th, 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    I'm diabetic. Which means, anything with sugar including fruit is a no-no for me.

    i have PCOS. Makes me gain weight around the middle. So, I take birth control (which can also cause weight gain) to sort out the other symptoms of PCOS. Such as acne, ovarian cysts, infertilerty (I honestly don't care about that. I don't want kids),insulin resistance (which was what triggered the diabetes).

    im a genetic mess. Several gene abnormalities. Makes my digestive system suck, and I have to eat at regular intervals.

    i have thyroid disease. Which makes weight loss hard.
    Fenner, mar09 and Magenta like this.
    This thread just got 20% cooler, in 10 seconds flat.
    /)(\
    Harmony through friendship.

    I'm:
    a dog mom, fan girl, geek, mix of liberal and conservative, child-fee (don't want kids),humanist/ feminist,and a dog snob


  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2012
    Age
    41
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnerman View Post
    I really enjoy the details in your post. On the contrary, Peacenik's post was incredibly vague; Good food with a reasonable amount of exercise is good for everyone. It's almost meaningless, since you have to define good food and a reasonable amount of exercise. My morbidly obese sister use to bowl a couple times a week. Bowling burns the same amount of calories as ironing a shirt. Some would call that reasonable. People who are overweight will tend to say that a reasonable amount of exercise is walking around the block for 5 minutes and then eating a baked potato covered with butter and sour cream.

    Are you a serious weight lifter? Your weight is so out of proportion to your height. I will soon weigh the same as you and I'm 6'3". My wife is taller than you and weighs 135 pounds. She hiked up Mt. Whitney yesterday and is training to hike/run rim to rim to rim (46 miles) at the Grand Canyon.

    The information is not bad unless you are looking at only bad information. Athletes are better trained than ever before and often eat a perfectly balanced diet. I've read most of the same information you shared. There was a time when I ate a very disciplined diet. Not anymore. I eat what I like. I stuffed myself at a sushi bar a few days ago. I ate a fast food burger yesterday. Today I ate healthy. I have a few vegan friends who can't possibly keep up with me or my wife on mountain bike rides. The diet is fine, but it doesn't replace hard training. You see, diet is easy. It's not exhausting like hard exercise. I lifted weights this morning and then ran out in 100 degree temps for 45 minutes. My wife is running twice as long as me. She trains hard. Eating right is easy. Everything you need is at the grocery store. Modern grocery stores in the U.S. are huge and have foods from everywhere. But as easy as it is to eat right, I prefer to exercise a lot and indulge myself. I had a chocolate muffin after lunch today. A huge amount of sugar and calories.

    Information is trendy. First they tell you to increase carbs, and a few years later you need to decrease carbs. I use to read about an Indian tribe, the Tamahumara (sp) Indians, who diet on 80% carbs and do a lot of endurance running. I think Adkins talked about them in his books. I got good at training my body so I did not burn muscle and had plenty of quick burning carbs available. Recently, my friends and I are discovering that a loss of a mere 3% of water results in a 10% loss of performance. We drink water almost all the time. The U.S. women's marathon team was carrying their water bottles during the race because they wanted to hydrate in between official water stations.

    We bought a Ninja blender at Sam's Club. I use it mostly for smoothies. My wife blends some spinach and other vegetables. I am not going to blend food unless I have to. I love to go eat BBQ beef brisket and pizza and food from India and Thailand and Vietnam. We also eat carnitas about once a week. None of this is particularly healthy. But superior fitness gives us a lot of wiggle room in our diet. I don't disagree with most of your diet assessments, but I would say that most upper level athletes are so fit that they indulge in comfort foods.
    Most people don't really care about their health until there is a problem. By then its not always too late, but your system has been taxed to the point of failure so you have to make big changes instead of small ones. My research has lead to these conclusions and I believe they were revealed to me by God.
    1. Everything is created to maintain balance. Everything outside the body like the world and everything inside the body. So nature has the same checks and balances that our body does, to maintain harmony.

    2. Humans were created to be stewards of creation and our bodies are machines that were given to us to do our job here on earth. Its like getting a company vehicle, that is specific for your role, but its designed to naturally adapt to the environment. This is why God has little regard for our bodies. Its like the boss is happy you maintain your vehicle but its all just temporary. Whether people die or live isn't as important as you think it is because our eternal spirit or soul is who we really are.

    3. He designed our bodies like the animals giving us will to live and reproduce, but that is part of the machine just like the other machines or animals. That's the struggle of man, separating the desires of the flesh (the program of the machine) and the will of the spirit (serving the Creator). We sin because we choose to serve the machine instead of the one who created us. It would be like a boss giving you a fork truck to unload a semi and you decide its too much work for the fork truck. Instead you give it extra oil changes and polish it up, build it a lavish garage to make it "happy". When the boss comes back, and He's coming, He is going to see if the semi is unloaded and if its not, we are going to point to the garages we built for our vehicles and expect praise and gratitude but He will shake his head in amazement at out stupidity. Instead we seem more satisfied to just give fuel to other machines so they can do it and then they will get our pay. We might not get fired because we are part owners in the business but the reward will be less.

    4. Sorry about the side track. Our machines adapt to maintain balance so if something goes wrong other systems compensate until its back on line. Its like we have a little mechanic trying to fix everything bypassing some systems and constantly making changes until "the parts come in" for proper repair. Our bodies build muscle with protein but the "work order' is testosterone, so you need both. Otherwise there is no point to build. If we don't use our muscles to release testosterone then mostly what protein we eat gets wasted. Sugar is the fuel and whatever is extra gets stored because everything runs on sugar (or fat during sugar shortage). Anyways giving our bodies what it doesn't need or too much of what it does need is EXACTLY like putting too much oil in your car, or using the wrong fuel, not giving it proper parts for repair, giving it crappy fuel that's been sitting in the shed for the last ten years (canned food). Eventually the little mechanic going to have so many quick fixes going on he's going to pack his bag and go on vacation until you start getting the right stuff. Enter disease and illness. This is premature death designed for natural environment balance.

    5. What we put in our bodies and activity we do identifies or signals the environment we live in so the body adjusts to the environment. Poor nutrition and nourishment not getting into the body, too much work and not enough food, too much food and not enough work, hazardous food getting into body, all signal poor environment so thinning of the herd for environment balance. This means premature death from disease, and low testosterone so the body doesn't reproduce On the other hand good nutrition, productive and active, and little stress leads to health and higher testosterone because its a good environment for good population growth. Hostile environment with lots of physical labor and good nutrition, higher testosterone to repair muscles faster to make work easier and increase population to lighten the load. The environment we signal to our bodies these days is high stress, little nourishment, little activity so thinning the herd protocol is in full swing but instead of fixing the problem with our natural program we hire a less educated mechanic, enter medical profession, to fix the problems.

    Sorry this post is so long but I have a lot in my head and trying to narrow stuff down in a few sentences is a bit of a challenge for me. I guess the point is this, finally, you can abuse your body a bit and it will repair but if you abuse your body too much it won't fix itself. Enjoy a burger now and then just don't kill the mechanic. For the record I'm not a serious body builder. My brother in law says I look like a body double for Wolverine.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2012
    Age
    41
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by taggerung View Post
    I'm diabetic. Which means, anything with sugar including fruit is a no-no for me.

    i have PCOS. Makes me gain weight around the middle. So, I take birth control (which can also cause weight gain) to sort out the other symptoms of PCOS. Such as acne, ovarian cysts, infertilerty (I honestly don't care about that. I don't want kids),insulin resistance (which was what triggered the diabetes).

    im a genetic mess. Several gene abnormalities. Makes my digestive system suck, and I have to eat at regular intervals.

    i have thyroid disease. Which makes weight loss hard.
    I can look into it for you if you want but I'm pretty sure I figured out what caused and cured PCOS. It was really very simple. I think it was something like gluten sensitivity. If you don't have celiac disease they won't even look for it. Anyways all of your symptoms are tied together. Maybe I'm wrong but did you eat a lot of carbs growing up and bread? This can lead to insulin resistance, if you are sensitive to gluten it triggers cortisol which in small doses is fine but if its constant it causes all kinds of problems including obesity. Digestive problems whether its gluten or something else causes inflammation which triggers cortisol which causes immune problems with PCOS being linked. PCOS releases a bunch of testosterone in your system which messes up your hormones even greater. Thyroid helps regulate testosterone if you already have too much in your system it will slow down your thyroid. Cortisol is also linked to Hashimotos a thyroid problem from auto immune disorder. Your system is trying to balance. Too much sugar causes insulin resistance which IS diabetes. If you want advice I can give you some but if you are happy with the way things are I will mind my own business.
    Magenta likes this.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,489
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    186

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Thyroid disease definately has a genetic link. I've had that but overactive (God healed
    me not diet) other family members have underactive thyroid.

    As for PCOS this might be more helpful.



    Polycystic ovary syndrome - Causes - NHS Choices
    Magenta likes this.
    He is God and
    we are not.

  19. #59
    Senior Member shineyourlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2015
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,283
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    Quote Originally Posted by Glori View Post
    We are to glorify God in our body since our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19-20). Having a slim body does glorify God. Follow the Lord Jesus Christ's example. (Just to help Christians who really wish to lose weight but are unable, feel free to send me a private message and I'll help you.)
    Okay, I do agree...TO AN EXTENT. But being a health coach and being passionate about fitness, I need to talk to you about some stuff.

    Being slim does not mean you are healthy. Are anorexia people healthy? No.

    In fact, my body built is actually NOT slim. I've never been a size 2, or 3. My body wasn't built like that. However, I am healthy. Being slim does not mean your body is glorifying God. Being healthy glorifies God.

    Bodies are all different shapes and sizes....and I encourage ANYONE to lead a healthy life (eating right, working out, etc). It's not to be "slim" but it's to be healthy.

    I feel your comment can come off as ignorant (I'm not saying you are, but I'm saying this comment is). Being slim does not glorify God, but being healthy does (that's the part I agree with, along with our bodies being the Holy Spirit's temple...the rest of your post, I respectfully disagree_

    NOTE: AND IF ONE PERSON TELLS ME THIS IS AN OLD THREAD, calm yourself. This is a forum site. There are going to be people who posts in posts that are old. This is something that I'm passionate about, and I shouldn't feel guilty about sharing my feelings and views for posting in an old thread.
    Last edited by shineyourlight; August 21st, 2016 at 09:04 AM.
    Fenner, PennEd, mailmandan and 2 others like this.
    "My objective is not to contrive ways to 'get someone saved'; rather, my objective is to walk when He prompts me to walk, talk when He says to talk, fall silent when I'm at risk of saying too much, and stay put when He leads me to stay put." -Bill Hybels

    "There is a Love that overcame." -Red Rocks Worship

  20. #60
    Senior Member AuntieAnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,635
    Rep Power
    85

    Default Re: Obesity/overweight among Chrisitans

    I Corinthians
    18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

    That scripture has NOTHING TO DO WITH KEEPING FIT! It's referring to abstaining from sexual immorality.

    We're told in I Tim. 4:8
    For bodily exercise is of a little profit, but godliness is profitable in everything, holding promise for the present life and for the one to come.

    And also in II Cor. 5:16
    From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer.

    Our outward man is no indication of our spiritual health. The best reason to maintain a normal healthy life is so that we might have more energy and stamina to be available for God.
    Fenner and Magenta like this.

    John 15:12
    Love one another the way I love you.

    I Corinthians 13:4-8
    Love is patient and kind, it’s not jealous, doesn’t boast, isn’t proud, rude or self-seeking, isn’t easily angered, and keeps no records of wrongs. Love never fails.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a Facebook for chrisitans?
    By Blain in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2013, 12:58 AM
  2. Overweight?
    By jamie26301 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
  3. Bible (New Chrisitans)
    By TomJC in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM
  4. Wanting to meet other Chrisitans
    By dave712 in forum Christian Young Adults Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Tags for this Thread