Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1353
Like Tree1066Likes

Miscellaneous

Random topics from random people!

Thread: The Gun Thread

  1. #1261
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    Don't feel too bad. 9 mm and it's sister 40 caliber are what almost all police in the world use.
    Yes.... I'm ok with it... not ecstatic, but happy enough.

    I have two other 9mm's, a full sized Canik TP9, and the aforementioned Taurus PT111 G2. It's my carry pistol. I won't mind having another one at all....

    and, if I feel the "need" for another .45, that's my excuse to get a commander sized Ruger 1911....

    I'm a big fan of the 9mm.
    Deade likes this.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  2. #1262
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Here in America we can shoot the caliber our military uses, that isn't true all over the world, which helps us keep the cost down.
    the nine is fine
    Deade likes this.

  3. #1263
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    13,587
    Rep Power
    374

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shittim View Post
    Here in America we can shoot the caliber our military uses, that isn't true all over the world, which helps us keep the cost down.
    the nine is fine
    Eventually, I plan of purchasing a full size 9mm that holds 17 + 1. I personally don't feel the need to buy a .45, especially with the cost of ammo. I really like the 9mm.
    Deade likes this.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  4. #1264
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Eventually, I plan of purchasing a full size 9mm that holds 17 + 1. I personally don't feel the need to buy a .45, especially with the cost of ammo. I really like the 9mm.
    I prefer the 9mm for most of my shooting, as well.

    I have decided to keep my .45, flaws and all. It has been utterly dependable for me, and is a high capacity 45.
    The only foreseeable time I would use it for self defense would be in a dire, end of the world as we know it scenario. In that scenario, the least of my worries would be a jailhouse lawyer trying to put me in jail.

    I do see a possibility of carrying it while hunting, as the .45 would work well on deer or pigs at 50yds or so (as if I could shoot accurately at that distance, anyway ) But it would be good for a close shot if one presented itself.

    The 9mm would not be nearly as effective in that scenario, I don't think.

    For my concealed carry for self defense, I think I will be completely served by my 9mm and my .380....
    mailmandan, EarnestQ and Deade like this.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  5. #1265
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Yes, gun safety and common sense are critical for gun owners! I'll never forget reading about a 29-year-old mother who was accidentally shot and killed by her 2-year-old son inside a Walmart in Idaho. She was shopping with three children in the electronics section when the 2-year-old apparently reached into her purse that was still in the shopping cart and pulled out a handgun. At nearly point-blank range, the trigger was pulled by the boy and the mother was struck with the bullet and died at the scene.

    Just recently in a city not far from where I live, a victim and his 6 year old brother were playing with a firearm at their home and the victim received minor injuries in what they described as an accidental shooting. Thank God for only minor injuries in this case! Guess who will be in trouble with the police? Not the child, but the GUN ONWER!
    My wife refuses to have a gun in the house because a cousin was killed by a child finding a gun and playing with it.
    Deade likes this.

  6. #1266
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Eventually, I plan of purchasing a full size 9mm that holds 17 + 1. I personally don't feel the need to buy a .45, especially with the cost of ammo. I really like the 9mm.
    I am looking at a Ruger P95. It is a 9mm gun holding 17 bullets in the magazine. I like to target shoot. Keep in mind that the police around the world use 9mm or 40 calibca guns. Almost the sames size. 9mm guns and amo are slightly cheaper than 40 caliber and significantly cheaper than other calibers. Their popularity causes manufactumanu to make more of them lowering their price accordingly.
    mailmandan and Deade like this.

  7. #1267
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    I am looking at a Ruger P95. It is a 9mm gun holding 17 bullets in the magazine. I like to target shoot. Keep in mind that the police around the world use 9mm or 40 calibca guns. Almost the sames size. 9mm guns and amo are slightly cheaper than 40 caliber and significantly cheaper than other calibers. Their popularity causes manufactumanu to make more of them lowering their price accordingly.
    Ruger P95's are really nice, solid pistols. Their only drawback, if you consider it one, is that they are a little heavier than the striker fired polymer framed pistols.

    But they are built tank-tough, and are usually more accurate than most people can appreciate.

    Ruger has made a gazillion of them.... very nice pistols. If you are not dead set on a new one, I would cruise the gun shops and the pawn shops and find a really nice used one. Ruger also has superior customer service.
    EarnestQ and Deade like this.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  8. #1268
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,083
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    364

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Eventually, I plan of purchasing a full size 9mm that holds 17 + 1. I personally don't feel the need to buy a .45, especially with the cost of ammo. I really like the 9mm.
    I like my Ruger 9 holds 16 plus 1 and is fairly compact and as smooth as........have had no issues with it jamming.....
    mailmandan and Deade like this.

  9. #1269
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Built Great, great company, made hear, can't think of a negative.
    Deade likes this.

  10. #1270
    Senior Member Deade's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2017
    Age
    71
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    My wife refuses to have a gun in the house because a cousin was killed by a child finding a gun and playing with it.

    Where do you keep your guns Endoscopy? Guns can be safely stored in the house. I had foster kids in California and Oklahoma, and they were very strict on having the guns properly locked up.



    Romans 8:28: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
    to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

  11. #1271
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post

    Where do you keep your guns Endoscopy? Guns can be safely stored in the house. I had foster kids in California and Oklahoma, and they were very strict on having the guns properly locked up.



    I understand that but must respect my wife's wishes due to the severe emotional trauma she went through. I don't own a gun but rent one when I go to a range to target shoot. I love that picture.
    Deade likes this.

  12. #1272
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Using reason leads to reasonable decisions, using emotion leads to emotional decisions.
    If a miscreant kicks in the door to come in and do harm he will probably not listen to the emotional decision
    for not doing what a reasonable person would do to protect themselves and their family.
    I see many, many men forsaking the leadership role in the family and acquiescing to the emotional response of the bride
    in such things. It was never to be that way.
    Why isn't the bride respecting the husbands wishes to have the bride and family safe and sound by taking these reasonable precautions?
    I hear this all too often.
    blessings
    Deade likes this.

  13. #1273
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,555
    Rep Power
    179

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    I understand that but must respect my wife's wishes due to the severe emotional trauma she went through. I don't own a gun but rent one when I go to a range to target shoot. I love that picture.
    My wife didn't want guns in the house either, due to a childhood trauma she went through.

    So I respected her wishes.

    Until a big brown bear almost broke into our house and I called the sheriff and 45 minutes later they still hadn't shown up.

    I had a Louisville slugger to protect my family with against a brown bear. And a telephone.

    So I brought a firearm into the house. I assured my wife that the kids were safe as they couldn't rack the slide. So, regardless of whether they were ever able to get their hands on it they couldn't hurt each other with it. (I always kept the chamber empty) I figured peace of mind was better than the 1/2 sec it would take to rack the slide.

    Kids are all grown and out of the house now. They all have guns of their own and enjoy shooting.
    hornetguy and Deade like this.

  14. #1274
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    A teaching I heard years ago from Chuck Swindoll seems to apply to this thread.
    He stated that in ALL his years in ministry he noticed if the couple had intimate relations before
    marriage sometime during the marriage the female will try to take the leadership role in
    the marriage. The "sexual revolution" in America seems to have lead to many of us making the
    mistake and now we have emasculated males who have lost the leadership position. Our G-d is a G-d of restoration,
    healing, and renewal, the leadership role can be reclaimed to the safety of the family and the glory of G-d.
    Repentance will need to come first.
    Personally I would rather a 12 gauge slug and great hearing protection if killing a bear in the kitchen or living room.
    blessings
    Deade likes this.

  15. #1275
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shittim View Post
    A teaching I heard years ago from Chuck Swindoll seems to apply to this thread.
    He stated that in ALL his years in ministry he noticed if the couple had intimate relations before
    marriage sometime during the marriage the female will try to take the leadership role in
    the marriage. The "sexual revolution" in America seems to have lead to many of us making the
    mistake and now we have emasculated males who have lost the leadership position. Our G-d is a G-d of restoration,
    healing, and renewal, the leadership role can be reclaimed to the safety of the family and the glory of G-d.
    Repentance will need to come first.
    Personally I would rather a 12 gauge slug and great hearing protection if killing a bear in the kitchen or living room.
    blessings
    Living in Sarasota Florida subdivision there are no bears. However alligators have wandered and ended up in people's pools. Also those living near a wooded area get snakes including rattlers. A friend many years ago came home to find a pigmy rattler coiled up in front of his door. These occasions are rare thank the Lord

  16. #1276
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    423

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Grandpa, hornetguy and Deade like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  17. #1277
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    423

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    Living in Sarasota Florida subdivision there are no bears. However alligators have wandered and ended up in people's pools. Also those living near a wooded area get snakes including rattlers. A friend many years ago came home to find a pigmy rattler coiled up in front of his door. These occasions are rare thank the Lord
    You'd shoot a snake in your house?

    Despite being no lady, all I can picture is "who is cleaning up that mess and fixing the holes?"

    If a snake comes in my home, first I'd shoo hubby out of the room, then identify it. Chances are good, it's not venomous. If not, I'd pick it up and toss it outside.

    If it is, I'm knocking the biggest bookcase we have on him. Shoot it? I might miss. Bookcases don't miss. (And there is less blood and no holes in the floor.) lol
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  18. #1278
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    don't shoot, might get a ricochet, use this-
    https://youtu.be/BYgnOc6Cd34

  19. #1279
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    20,181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    423

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shittim View Post
    don't shoot, might get a ricochet, use this-
    https://youtu.be/BYgnOc6Cd34
    If we had that, hubby would shoo me out of the room, and next thing you know the fire trucks are coming. lol
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  20. #1280
    Senior Member Deade's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2017
    Age
    71
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: The Gun Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    If we had that, hubby would shoo me out of the room, and next thing you know the fire trucks are coming. lol
    What would the fire trucks find once they got there: cinders probably. Depleted I loved you photo, I captured it and put it into my folders. I noticed we both had Romans 8:28 as a logo: so here is one for you.


    Romans 8:28: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
    to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 9th, 2017, 07:09 PM
  2. People who follow you from thread to thread
    By ember in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: February 17th, 2016, 01:02 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 14th, 2013, 02:26 AM