Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
Like Tree100Likes

Miscellaneous

Random topics from random people!

Thread: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,721
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    208

    Default Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Peace in the midst of the storm: Why the church doesn't need anymore coffee bars

    So true, while coffee bars and all the trimmings have their uses, they should never seek
    to replace Jesus.
    He is God and
    we are not.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,487
    Rep Power
    240

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    Peace in the midst of the storm: Why the church doesn't need anymore coffee bars

    So true, while coffee bars and all the trimmings have their uses, they should never seek
    to replace Jesus.
    How, exactly, does sitting and drinking a beverage replace Jesus? I kind of remember Him cooking some fish for the guys... feeding thousands... having meals with all kinds of people, in all sorts of places. Eating and fellowship seemed to be sort of a big thing with Him.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  3. #3
    BeyondET
    Guest

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    I've read the link, IMO the person who wrote that is hurting from the loss, sometimes when people are hurting, not all the time the direct their thoughts in a constructive way.

  4. #4
    Idiot in Chief Oncefallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2011
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,413
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    How, exactly, does sitting and drinking a beverage replace Jesus? I kind of remember Him cooking some fish for the guys... feeding thousands... having meals with all kinds of people, in all sorts of places. Eating and fellowship seemed to be sort of a big thing with Him.
    The heart of the blog seems to be digging at churches that make a bigger deal on their social media pages about their coffee bar, etc. than what Christ is doing in and through them as a fellowship.

    I scroll down my social media feed and I see churches with pictures of their coffee bars, their concert like settings, their graphics, their trendy sermon series and those don't appeal to me. I want to see how Jesus has changed a person's life. I want to see the power of prayer. I want to see how the Word of God can be applied to one's life. I want to see how Jesus can help the hurting. I want to see how Jesus can heal the sick. I want to see how the broken heart was restored. I want to see how the mourners were comforted. I want to see how lives were restored. Rather than posting pictures of coffee bars I would rather see testimonies of the power of God. I am thankful I attend a church that focuses on prayer and the word of God. I am thankful that in one of the darkest moments of my life I knew I could count on others to pray for me and with me.

    Miri, Fenner, kaylagrl and 4 others like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dude653's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,219
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    yeah..... people sitting around having Fellowship while drinking coffee... I'm not seeing the problem here
    I am the one who knocks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Corbinscam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2016
    Age
    17
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    I've never met a person who was against coffee bars etc in a church who wasn't also legalistic and judgemental.

    A coffee bar should never replace the cross but I see no biblical reason to avoid using modern tools of socialization.

    But I may be way off
    “Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the worlds needs is people who have come alive.”
    John Eldredge

  7. #7
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,487
    Rep Power
    240

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinscam View Post
    I've never met a person who was against coffee bars etc in a church who wasn't also legalistic and judgemental.

    A coffee bar should never replace the cross but I see no biblical reason to avoid using modern tools of socialization.

    But I may be way off
    Interestingly, the same people would have no objection to a paved parking lot, a good roof over their heads, A/C and heating, water fountains, bathrooms, microphones and a PA system, ample lighting, maybe carpeting, and pews or seats to sit on, all arranged in theater fashion..... and maybe even a dedicated organ and Communion paraphanelia. (Just to name a few of the things Jesus never employed.)
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  8. #8
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,160
    Rep Power
    115

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    I think we're missing the point.

    The author of the article was showing that a horrible tragedy made her realize that most churches are FOCUSING THEIR ATTENTION on silly, pointless, superficial things.

    I think she has a good point.
    Miri, Fenner, NotmebutHim and 2 others like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Corbinscam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2016
    Age
    17
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    I think we're missing the point.

    The author of the article was showing that a horrible tragedy made her realize that most churches are FOCUSING THEIR ATTENTION on silly, pointless, superficial things.

    I think she has a good point.
    Ok, I read it just so I knew I wasn't way off.
    I can sympathize with her. I understand her point. But her story stinks of hurt and anger because churches let her down. I sat in the same shape in a church that would spend an entire service condemning coffee bars in churches. The issue is not the coffee bar at all. The issue is the hearts of the people sitting inside the church. The issue isn't the means of reaching out it's the lack of reaching.

    Again, I get her point. I just disagree with her approach.
    seed_time_harvest and Magenta like this.
    “Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the worlds needs is people who have come alive.”
    John Eldredge

  10. #10
    BeyondET
    Guest

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinscam View Post
    I've never met a person who was against coffee bars etc in a church who wasn't also legalistic and judgemental.

    A coffee bar should never replace the cross but I see no biblical reason to avoid using modern tools of socialization.

    But I may be way off
    I haven't either, I don't see a issue with it if coffee bars in a church helps to get folks coming to hear what Christ is doing isn't bad either, probably better than folks going to Starbucks or places that have coffee bars where most of the talk isn't about Christ. So in my opinion if that coffee bar has brought folks in,, the end result would be positive. That ol saying (one man's trash can be another man's treasure) not everybody is going feel the same on what a church should be or act is going to line up.
    seed_time_harvest likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,160
    Rep Power
    115

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    I have a personal challenge for everyone.

    How about we all READ an article, before we comment on it.



    That would clear up a lot, as a starting point.
    Oncefallen, Miri, Fenner and 1 others like this.

  12. #12
    BeyondET
    Guest

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    I have a personal challenge for everyone.

    How about we all READ an article, before we comment on it.



    That would clear up a lot, as a starting point.
    That sounds like a good idea but that wouldnt change a thing, that's like reading the bible, ten people can read one verse and each may have a different view of it because of experience and how that one verse fits in their life.
    seed_time_harvest likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,160
    Rep Power
    115

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondET View Post
    That sounds like a good idea but that wouldnt change a thing, that's like reading the bible, ten people can read one verse and each may have a different view of it because of experience and how that one verse fits in their life.

    Having different views on the ACTUAL INFORMATION is better than just IMAGINING THE INFORMATION.

    So yes, it would change a thing.

    It would mean we're all discussing ACTUAL REALITY, instead of just IMAGINING.




    The fact we have different views doesn't mean we should intentionally strive to be as ignorant as possible.

    Geesh.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,721
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    208

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    I have a personal challenge for everyone.

    How about we all READ an article, before we comment on it.
    That would clear up a lot, as a starting point.
    Exactly. Lol

    We have a big flashy new church, coffee bar, auditorium, lighting etc.
    My OP said they have their uses, but shouldn't replace Jesus.

    I get where the writer of the article is coming from.
    The church is a great meeting place, the coffee bar is a useful thing to have, to
    socialise, meet up. The coffee bar in my own church is open 5 days a week 9.30 - 2.30pm
    serving drinks sandwiches, cakes etc as good as any Starbucks. I've often met up there
    with friends myself.

    The coffee bar is often used as a venue to share concerns, to meet for prayer, to
    formulate ideas, put together bible studies, share ideas, make friends and generally
    share life.

    I suppose though that problems can sneak in if we "invite people to see how great our coffee
    bar is" but don't show them Jesus. Jesus is the answer, not a coffee bar.

    Over the last few years I've had many problems looking after my elderly aunt.
    Some people thinking inviting someone out for a break to the coffee bar and meeting up for a
    piece of chocolate cake is the answer. While I like chocolate cake as much as the next person
    and a creamy cappuccino, it's not the answer. It may potentially be the start of the answer. But
    the answer is actually found in human beings who follow the example of Jesus.

    A coffee and slab of chocolate cake, can't offer practical help, but some people think it does and
    they think they have done their bit by buying you a coffee.

    A cup of coffee, is unable to give you a lift to hospital to visit a sick relative.
    A cup of coffee won't help you move house.
    A cup of coffee cannot tell you the gospel.

    Equally church adverts/people who say, come and look at our digital lighting effects,
    big stage, refurbed arena, come and clap your hands and jump up and down to the music etc,
    miss out something vital - Jesus.

    I get where the blogger is coming from, in our bigger, better, brighter, all singing all
    dancing, sparkling coffee bar churches. We need to ensure Jesus remains the centre stage.

    That might be Jesus and what He has for us, what He continues to do. It might be Jesus in the
    flesh, the helping hand here, the practical work there, the listening sympathetic ear, the
    dropping off a bag of groceries etc.

    When the chips are down you don't need a cup of coffee, you need Jesus. If he happens to
    turn up with a cup of coffee then that's ok. But the coffee on its own doesn't work.
    He is God and
    we are not.

  15. #15
    BeyondET
    Guest

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Having different views on the ACTUAL INFORMATION is better than just IMAGINING THE INFORMATION.

    So yes, it would change a thing.

    It would mean we're all discussing ACTUAL REALITY, instead of just IMAGINING.




    The fact we have different views doesn't mean we should intentionally strive to be as ignorant as possible.

    Geesh.

    Well I hear yea, but when anybody brings disapproval of what another church is doing in their own building and then says thank God my church isn't like that, well what's that saying the blogger doesn't believe God is working in that church because the church has a coffee bar, a band, etc.. Reading between the lines can sometimes reveal a person's true intent. just because the blogger has her view doesn't mean it's true.

    There's two sides to a coin. If the church was devil worshiping or putting out completely false doctrine then yea that is not good. But to bash the coffe bar church really what good can come from that.

    I'm not for a lot of different church doms out there but You won't hear me saying Thank God for my church and not theirs because I know God works in mysterious ways and He is working to change people's hearts, any where, any time, any place.
    seed_time_harvest likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,160
    Rep Power
    115

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondET View Post
    Well I hear yea, but when anybody brings disapproval of what another church is doing in their own building and then says thank God my church isn't like that, well what's that saying the blogger doesn't believe God is working in that church because the church has a coffee bar, a band, etc.. Reading between the lines can sometimes reveal a person's true intent. just because the blogger has her view doesn't mean it's true.

    There's two sides to a coin. If the church was devil worshiping or putting out completely false doctrine then yea that is not good. But to bash the coffe bar church really what good can come from that.

    I'm not for a lot of different church doms out there but You won't hear me saying Thank God for my church and not theirs because I know God works in mysterious ways and He is working to change people's hearts, any where, any time, any place.

    "Well I hear ya, but"


    No.

    You just took my quote, switched the topic, then continued to argue as if it was about something I said.

    No.

    You're trying to debate a topic with me which I NEVER MENTIONED in that quote.

    No.

    This post has nothing to do with my quote... you need to go debate this new topic with a new person.

    NO.


    JUST NO.
    Last edited by maxwel; March 13th, 2017 at 01:23 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Corbinscam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2016
    Age
    17
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    I have a personal challenge for everyone.

    How about we all READ an article, before we comment on it.



    That would clear up a lot, as a starting point.
    Reading it changed absolutely nothing for me.....
    I get your point but the author is still taking out human flaws on coffee bars....
    “Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the worlds needs is people who have come alive.”
    John Eldredge

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,219
    Rep Power
    133

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    this is the 'first' that we have heard of 'coffee-bars'...is this a BUSINESS, or is it a FREE thing
    where people can HELP and SERVE one another? do they dance there?

    the problem for us is in the hype and the myriad of 'NEW-WAYS' to attract/draw
    people into what ever the brand of 'belief system it is'?

    obviously this woman was greatly let-down by her church, sounds like they are
    going for the gold and not the 'hearts'...we'll pass...

    it sounds like a competition among denominations...
    Miri and Pilkington like this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,487
    Rep Power
    240

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    I can see it now: "You're sittin' here drinking Holy Coffee in a bona-fied CHURCH right now, and By God, if you think I'm just going to listen to you and become your friend over the next few weeks, have you got yourself another think coming!" "You're here to get preached at, and I don't care if you like it or not, I'M TELLIN' YOU ABOUT JESUS. Now shut up and get saved by me." LOL
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,721
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    208

    Default Re: Why Church Doesn't Need Any More Coffee Bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    I can see it now: "You're sittin' here drinking Holy Coffee in a bona-fied CHURCH right now, and By God, if you think I'm just going to listen to you and become your friend over the next few weeks, have you got yourself another think coming!" "You're here to get preached at, and I don't care if you like it or not, I'M TELLIN' YOU ABOUT JESUS. Now shut up and get saved by me." LOL

    Hey that might just work, have you tried it out.
    He is God and
    we are not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Miracle Cookie Bars
    By Kimber321 in forum Heavenly Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 21st, 2017, 09:14 PM
  2. Green bars?
    By Iamblessed in forum User2User Tech Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 20th, 2015, 06:44 AM
  3. Alternative to bars and clubs?
    By acesneverwin in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM
  4. Piña Colada Bars
    By ww_21 in forum Heavenly Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 17th, 2014, 12:56 AM
  5. About cooking Date Bars
    By angelpie in forum Heavenly Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM