Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 165
Like Tree163Likes

Miscellaneous

Random topics from random people!

Thread: WORKS SALVATION

  1. #41
    Senior Member Rosemaryx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 3rd, 2017
    Age
    56
    Posts
    670
    Rep Power
    69

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertsrose View Post
    Hi Fran,


    From what I gather reading scriptures, being saved by works would be putting the cart before the horse. We just don't go anywhere if we think we have to work to be saved. There's none righteous, no not one.


    In the OT, one had to have faith. If all they did was obey the law without faith, they had no relationship with the Father. They didn't have the faith of Abraham.


    A person is saved by grace through faith. The Grace of God saves us through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. We repent of our sins during the process of the new birth. This is at the heart of the Gospel of the Kingdom.


    Jesus speaking with the disciples tells them, "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come." Matthew 24:14


    And Jesus came up and spoke to them after he died saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20


    The apostles in their teaching throughout the New Testament taught that we the church are to obey all that Jesus has commanded. When Jesus spoke of abiding in the vine He tells us we can do nothing without abiding in Him. And He tells us if we love Him, we will obey His commandments.


    And when we trip up He tells us to confess our sins and we'll be forgiven. He'll cleanse us from all unrighteousness because when we sin we get dirty spiritually speaking.


    The believer who believes that after we've been saved we continue to abide in Him and because we love Him we obey His commands is not working for salvation. The new birth causes our wanter to change. The wanter switch is turned on now and we want to obey and we want to resist sin. In fact we hate sin and love righteousness.


    I love to love one another and forgive others, care for others an even love our enemies. It's all a sanctification process, but we grow in obedience. Working for the Kingdom is not a works salvation. If it was, Paul, Peter, James, John and the rest of the apostles are in trouble because they spent their whole life working for God 24/7.
    Amen sister...All in a nut shell...xox...
    Desertsrose likes this.
    PSALM 107:20 He sends His word and heals me and rescues me from the pit and destruction.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,008
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    278

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    I believe each person comes to God in their own way.
    One way is not superior to another.
    God accepts us all as we come and as we are.

    I think this is what you meant by uniformity...
    The only uniformity is that we are to FOLLOW Jesus.
    How do you rectify that with what Jesus said, "I am the way"?

    If we come our own way, than there is more than the way.

    In my thinking, the one and only way is superior to any other way.

    AND, if God accepts us as we are, then what in the world is he doing to me? Because I can guarantee I am not who I was when he accepted me. He gone and done changed me. And he keeps chiseling me into what he wants -- with or without my permission.

    As for following Jesus being our uniformity? Come on! Get real! (Teasing you, not really blasting you here.) You got off BDF to ask this because you know the definition of "FOLLOW Christ" changes drastically depending on who says it. We're as "uniformed" as a mountain range, including the foothills. We belong on the Misfit Toys Island, (reference to Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer out of Christmas season, so figured most won't remember it now), yet God picked some of us to be his army, just like he picked Gideon and that army. It's never about what we do. It's always about what he does.

    The upside is he loves us and is ever so merciful to us, that it is worth following him. He was the kind hand that gave us food and patted us on the head, after buying us from a dog fight. Obeying him doesn't come natural to us. Biting him does. But his love and kindness slowly teaches us The Way.

    He saved us. He completely, utterly, forcefully, lovingly, mercifully saved us. Not because of who we are. Because of who he is.

    Yes, that really does get us to want to follow him, and obey him, but that is the effect, not the cause.

    To say we are worthy because we work for him, is to negate who he is and who we are.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  3. #43
    Senior Member Desertsrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,756
    Rep Power
    182

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    I'd say that I need a different word other than "works". But Jesus used this term. He also said "good deeds".THINKING...
    Maybe obedience.


    Obedience is an action and would cover works and good deeds.


    Obedience is a genuine work.


    Others like those who said Lord, Lord didn't we caste out demons in your name are not genuine works that are birthed from obedience.


    A work with obedience is genuine and what we're called to do.
    Stephen63, kaylagrl, FranC and 1 others like this.
    Ezekiel 18:23 Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked,” declares the Lord God, “rather than that he should turn from his ways and live?

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,162
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Amen! Well said! Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. No supplements needed. We are saved FOR good works and NOT BY good works (Ephesians 2:8-10).

    Now for those who teach we are saved by works (at least in part), I would like to ask them, "exactly how many works must you accomplish and add as a supplement to Christ's finished work of redemption in order to help Him save you?"
    You've Always asked this MMD.
    Now, since we're here nice and calm, I'll answer you and I'm SURE everyone who believes in obeying will agree with me.
    If not, they could speak up.

    The very fact that you ask the question shows me that there is a misunderstanding as to what works are.

    Works DO NOT SAVE US.
    JESUS SAVES US.

    Nothing to add. Nothnig to DO. It is a work of God. Ephesians 2:8
    We are saved by the Love God has for us through our faith in HIM.

    As to how many works are needed?
    Whatever you can do.
    Whatever God asks.
    Whatever you do every day.
    There is no quantity.
    There is no quality.
    God sees that we do what we do.
    Jesus will cover for what we don't do.

    Is this understood?
    I mean, did I explain it well enough?
    PHart likes this.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,008
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    278

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    OK P

    This is what you said that I would have wanted to get into.
    Since you repeated it, I will !

    First of all, just to get the idea out of the way, if we doubt our salvation, it means we're saved.
    Unsaved persons don't worry about being saved or not.
    We should never allow satan to take away our joy...

    What I'd like to address is this... You said.

    We must always rely on Jesus and never on ourselves.
    Jesus never fails while we do time and time again.


    What theology is this? What does it mean?

    Jesus left us and sent the Holy Spirit.
    The Holy Spirit helps us in our walk with God.
    That's His job --- He's the paraclete.

    Jesus is the Savior. He completed His work as Savior.
    Now it's the Holy Spirit that helps us.

    What do you mean that we RELY on Jesus and not on OURSELVES?
    What do you mean that Jesus NEVER FAILS while we do AGAIN AND AGAIN?

    We rely on Jesus for our salvation.
    We fail when we sin, I guess this is what you mean.

    But I hear some here say that we don't have to do anything
    or that Jesus does it all.

    Do you realize what these means theologically??

    IF JESUS IS DOING IT ALL, and not us...
    Then it's HIS fault when we sin.

    Please stop and think this over.
    Jesus did HIS part, now it's up to us to do our part.
    Our part is to follow Him the best we can, and He'll make up for the rest.
    And then there is the reverse of that nugget:
    If we are doing it all, then we never needed Jesus in the first place.

    If we could do any of it, we never need the Lord.

    I'm not against saying God has us sin sometimes. Roman 1 gets into what God does when we choose to ignore him to be all of us we can be. And it's not pretty.

    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  6. #46
    Senior Member PHart's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2017
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    Just in case Persuaded doesn't reply...

    The big question is:

    How do you know the person was really saved???

    (like it's our place to know anyway)
    The same way Peter knew the gentiles were saved--Acts 10:45-46.
    FranC and Meggido like this.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,008
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    278

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    D,

    I DO believe that we must obey God. Why does that make me crazy??
    Just because I BELIEVE I must obey God, doesn't mean I do all the time !
    Is this the divide??
    I mean, I believe I MUST make dinner every evening, but once in a while I don't, for different reasons.
    It's Always semantics !!

    And, you're right. No. Not obeying all the time does not mean I lost my salvation. We'd be on a see-saw. Pretty dumb idea.
    So it's not about salvation. OK.

    So, where did the DESIRE to obey come from?
    From our desire to please God. Can't it not be for different reasons?
    Isn't this what Zi is talking about? About how each one of our walks is different?

    Maybe I obey because I love God,
    maybe I feel indebted for what He did for me,
    maybe I'm afraid of hell (not a good reason, but why can't it work?),
    maybe I love Jesus so much and am so thankful.
    etc...

    Do you feel the reason is so important?

    The "grace only" people seem to believe that if I don't line up exactly with their point of view, I'm somehow wrong.

    It seems to me that I'm more grace oriented than they are since i'm able to accept differing points of view!!

    I did give a quick look at GotQuestions.
    I don't like to use links or the internet; the opinions will Always be biased one way or the other.
    I like knowing theology and Learning from main denomination churches.

    I ike discussing between ourselves --- I learn more this way.

    Thanks for your reply.
    BTW, I think QotQuestions has it right about how man feels he needs to have his good works outweigh his bad works, but when one knows something about God, this all goes out the window...
    Then in like kind you really don't believe either is a MUST: Obeying God or making dinner every night.

    And, yeah, it is semantics, but that's a good thing. Without semantics we can't communicate. The semantic's card has become a device used to avoid thinking out words. Reread my first paragraph again. And let me know where I told you that "MUST obey God" makes you crazy. My words were chosen with purpose, and I'm beginning to think you're so busy defending your belief, you're not taking the time to understand anything being said that doesn't agree with your stance perfectly.

    I'm not asking you to agree with me. I'm asking you to do what you said you would do -- listen to what others think. Instead of dismissing anything that disagrees with what you say as MO, think out what people are saying.

    Where does the desire to obey come from? The same as salvation -- from God. We have our own nature. God gives us his supernature. We still have our nature, but his supernature gives us what is against our nature too, including the desire to obey. What other reason is there to obey? Why would we even want to obey without him giving that desire. We were perfectly capable of getting our own way before the Lord shined his light. That was our nature and it worked for us for as many years as we lived before the Lord saved us. Why change what isn't broke, unless we are handed how it's broken? Why it doesn't work? What's missing?

    Is the reason important? Well, yeah! Since the reason is God. What else is important comparatively?

    As for me? I'm neither grace-only nor works. Neither one saves me. Nor did faith. The Lord did, not what I did or didn't do.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,745
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    You've Always asked this MMD.
    Now, since we're here nice and calm, I'll answer you and I'm SURE everyone who believes in obeying will agree with me.
    If not, they could speak up.

    The very fact that you ask the question shows me that there is a misunderstanding as to what works are.

    Works DO NOT SAVE US.
    JESUS SAVES US.

    Nothing to add. Nothnig to DO. It is a work of God. Ephesians 2:8
    We are saved by the Love God has for us through our faith in HIM.

    As to how many works are needed?
    Whatever you can do.
    Whatever God asks.
    Whatever you do every day.
    There is no quantity.
    There is no quality.
    God sees that we do what we do.
    Jesus will cover for what we don't do.

    Is this understood?
    I mean, did I explain it well enough?
    I agree with this except one thing..... it IS about quality.

    Col. 3
    New Living Translation
    Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.


    New American Standard Bible

    Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,


    God's anointing upon us creates the highest quality.
    FranC, Meggido and Zi like this.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,641
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    And then there is the reverse of that nugget:
    If we are doing it all, then we never needed Jesus in the first place.

    If we could do any of it, we never need the Lord.

    I'm not against saying God has us sin sometimes. Roman 1 gets into what God does when we choose to ignore him to be all of us we can be. And it's not pretty.

    And I would say Mac is a false teacher, because all judgement was handed to the Son from the Father, so this means God is not judging anyone and never will....

    John 5.22-23
    22 For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, 23 so that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,641
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Persuaded View Post
    Sin is sin is sin.
    When you walked away, what happened.
    Did God leave you alone or did He come to you? Did He chastise you? Did He draw you back?
    Tribulations comes into all our lives and each reacts differently. Some fight , some run, some doubt, but in the end a child of God will turn to his Father.
    A son is always a son.
    Funny thing about this ....Jesus never ran after the rich young ruler...you also must be deceived by Calvinist predestination
    FranC and Zi like this.

  11. #51
    Persuaded
    Guest

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    Just in case Persuaded doesn't reply...

    The big question is:

    How do you know the person was really saved???

    (like it's our place to know anyway)

    I also know some who have fallen away.
    I believe those who do not believe one can fall away, has to also believe that when we become born again we lose our free will...
    How does one know another is saved?
    You don't. Only that person and God knows.
    That does not mean that we not should be concerned for those who say they are saved but "live like the world".
    The Scriptures tells us that some have a false assurance.

    Yes the Holy Spirit lives in each of us and testifies of Jesus. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to us when He left set at the right hand of the Father.
    Here is what i see in your post, and I may be wrong.
    You believe that a person can, by choice, , void your eternal security that is in Jesus.

    John 10:28-30 states that no man can take away the eternal life that Jesus gives to us.
    That means I can not void your salvation and neither can you.
    I believe these verses and place my hope totally on Jesus.

    NOW, because of what I just said, I strive every day to follow every commandment that Jesus said I should follow.
    I do it because of my love for Him. Not to gain or KEEP my salvation.
    To do anything for God the Father or Jesus to gain or keep my salvation, I would be saying I do not believe John 10:28-30.
    I would be saying God is weak because I can by choice overrule God and void my salvation.

    Now those who say they are eternally secure in Christ, and also say it does not matter how we live, and then go out and live a life of sin, I AM VERY CONCERNED about there salvation.
    Of course, I do not know nor am I to judge, but I will pray that our Heavenly Father will take them behind the wood shed and draw blood from their backside.
    Rosemaryx likes this.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,008
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    278

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggido View Post
    And I would say Mac is a false teacher, because all judgement was handed to the Son from the Father, so this means God is not judging anyone and never will....

    John 5.22-23
    22 For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, 23 so that all will honor the Son even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
    You are no lady!
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  13. #53
    Persuaded
    Guest

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by PHart View Post
    The same way Peter knew the gentiles were saved--Acts 10:45-46.
    Do you believe speaking in tongues is a certain sign of salvation?
    What about the person who never speaks in tongues, is that a certain sign he is not saved?

  14. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,641
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Persuaded View Post
    Do you believe speaking in tongues is a certain sign of salvation?
    What about the person who never speaks in tongues, is that a certain sign he is not saved?
    Not even...next....

  15. #55
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    51
    Posts
    12,203
    Rep Power
    271

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    The very fact that you ask the question shows me that there is a misunderstanding as to what works are.
    I understand just fine.

    Strong's Concordance ergon: work
    Original Word: ἔργον, ου, τό
    Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
    Transliteration: ergon
    Phonetic Spelling: (er'-gon)
    Short Definition: work, labor, action, deed
    Definition: work, task, employment; a deed, action; that which is wrought or made, a work.
    HELPS Word-studies
    2041 érgon (from ergō, "to work, accomplish") – a work or worker who accomplishes something. 2041 /érgon ("work") is a deed (action) that carries out (completes) an inner desire (intension, purpose).

    Works DO NOT SAVE US.
    JESUS SAVES US.
    Amen!

    Nothing to add. Nothnig to DO. It is a work of God. Ephesians 2:8
    We are saved by the Love God has for us through our faith in HIM.
    Do you truly believe that?

    As to how many works are needed?
    Whatever you can do.
    That sounds like Mormonism. In the Book of Mormon (2 Nephi 25:23) we read - For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. In other words, do all you can or else the Lord will not be able to save you. Is that what we read in Ephesians 2:8,9? NO

    Whatever God asks.
    Whatever you do every day.
    There is no quantity.
    There is no quality.
    God sees that we do what we do.
    Jesus will cover for what we don't do.

    Is this understood?
    I mean, did I explain it well enough?
    Sounds vague to me.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  16. #56
    Senior Member PHart's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2017
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Persuaded View Post
    Do you believe speaking in tongues is a certain sign of salvation?
    Yes. Peter believed that. That's how he knew the gentiles had received the gift of the Holy Spirit just as they did. Being able to speak in tongues shows that you have received the gift of the Holy Spirit in salvation.

    On this side of the cross, only the body of Christ has the Holy Spirit in the empowering of the gifts of the Spirit. Yes, the gifts can be faked, but if hang around tongue talkers long enough you eventually can tell the real gift from those who are faking it. Tongues just happens to be the one gift that we can use to determine, generally speaking, who really has the Holy Spirit in a spiritual gift. You can't definitively determine who has the Holy Spirit by the other gifts with the exception of workers of miracles--a truly rare gift in the western church (credit cards, insurance, etc. pretty much make it so we don't 'need' that gift).



    Quote Originally Posted by Persuaded View Post
    What about the person who never speaks in tongues, is that a certain sign he is not saved?
    Thankfully, no, because I do not have that gift. I know a person close to me who had that gift (trust me, it was genuine) and they fell away into unbelief because of the trials and tribulations of growing up into the faith (soil #2 in the Parable of the Sower). They will have been away from the Lord in unbelief for 16 years next month.

    In my journey for spiritual significance in the Full Gospel church I learned that the fruit of the Spirit is actually the sign of salvation that one should seek for confirmation of having the Son of Promise growing inside of them (like Sarah did after she received the promises). We look in the mirror and we see Jesus growing more and more inside of us via the traits and characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit and so we know that we have Christ inside of us in salvation. A growing of Christ in us that will continue, if we keep believing, until Christ in us comes to full term at the Resurrection.

    If you love the Lord, and because you do, you seek to be justified by your works (as James uses the word 'justified', not Paul), seek to be characterized by patience, self control, forgiveness, calmness, peace, and so on. Those traits of the Spirit justify you (show you) to have the circumcision of the heart by the Spirit of God in salvation. The more you grow up into those things the greater your assurance is that you have believed and are continuing to believe in a genuine salvation. That is how we are to seek to make our calling and election a sure thing:

    "10Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you..." (2 Peter 1:10 NASB)

    "
    11And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope until the end, 12so that you will not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." (Hebrews 6:11-12 NASB)


    All this is not a works gospel. None of this is about earning your salvation, but it surely shows how works must be an integral part of a genuine salvation experience--like getting wet must be an integral part of going swimming. If we claim to be swimming in Christ's baptism of the Holy Spirit we should be able to demonstrate the wetness of that baptism in how we behave. If we can't, we need to seek to do that so we can know for sure if we are genuinely saved or not. As James says, the claim of faith that doesn't have works attached is a faith that can not save you at the Judgment. The absence of the fruit of the Spirit showing in your life being the evidence that you do not have the Holy Spirit in a genuine saving faith.
    Last edited by PHart; August 12th, 2017 at 09:32 AM.
    FranC likes this.

  17. #57
    Senior Member PHart's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2017
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    I understand just fine.

    Strong's Concordance ergon: work
    Original Word: ἔργον, ου, τό
    Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
    Transliteration: ergon
    Phonetic Spelling: (er'-gon)
    Short Definition: work, labor, action, deed
    Definition: work, task, employment; a deed, action; that which is wrought or made, a work.
    HELPS Word-studies
    2041 érgon (from ergō, "to work, accomplish") – a work or worker who accomplishes something. 2041 /érgon ("work") is a deed (action) that carries out (completes) an inner desire (intension, purpose).

    Amen!

    Do you truly believe that?

    That sounds like Mormonism. In the Book of Mormon (2 Nephi 25:23) we read - For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. In other words, do all you can or else the Lord will not be able to save you. Is that what we read in Ephesians 2:8,9? NO

    Sounds vague to me.
    There's nothing vague about the fruit of the Spirit. We are to seek to always respond to life's situations and circumstances according to the fruit of the Spirit. That's how you know if you have the faith that saves. Generally speaking, the person who can't prove, as a matter of lifestyle, that Christ is in them via the Holy Spirit is the person who does not have the Holy Spirit in salvation (or, lost it in unbelief along the way somewhere).

    Of course, the exact way the fruit of the Spirit manifests itself in 'work' in any one situation will vary. So if you're looking for hard and fast 'rules' of what works of faith look like, we will have to make a rather looooooong post to explain how patience looks in all these situations, or how self control looks in all these situations, etc. The important point is, is that the Spirit is manifesting.

    But if you want a generalized set of 'rules' for what the Christian life of faith is to look like, Colossians chapters 3 & 4, and Ephesians chapters 3-6 are perhaps the lengthiest lists in the Bible. James chapters 2-4 is another 'list' of rules that faith in Christ manifests itself in. Romans 12 is another one, I think. And if you are familiar with the Law you will recognize that James' teaching on how to live as a believer in Christ is actually right out of Law. Many Christians simply do not know that the moral life of the Christian faith comes right out of the Law. They have been told by the church that the morality of the New Covenant is a 'new' law. It's new in revelation and understanding, not in substance. Moses gave it to us, the people of God, long ago.
    Last edited by PHart; August 12th, 2017 at 09:49 AM.
    FranC and Meggido like this.

  18. #58
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    51
    Posts
    12,203
    Rep Power
    271

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by PHart View Post
    There's nothing vague about the fruit of the Spirit.
    In post #32, I made this comment: *Now for those who teach we are saved by works (at least in part), I would like to ask them, "exactly how many works must you accomplish and add as a supplement to Christ's finished work of redemption in order to help Him save you?"

    I never said the fruit of the Spirit is vague. I asked Fran how many works are needed and she answered:

    Whatever you can do.
    Whatever God asks.
    Whatever you do every day.
    There is no quantity.
    There is no quality.

    And you say that's not a vague answer to my question?

    We are to seek to always respond to life's situations and circumstances according to the fruit of the Spirit. That's how you know if you have the faith that saves. Generally speaking, the person who can't prove, as a matter of lifestyle, that Christ is in them via the Holy Spirit is the person who does not have the Holy Spirit in salvation (or, lost it in unbelief along the way somewhere).
    Galatians 5:19 - Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice (willful, habitual lifestyle, no repentance just bring it on, continuous action) such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

    Of course, the exact way the fruit of the Spirit manifests itself in 'work' in any one situation will vary. So if you're looking for hard and fast 'rules' of what works of faith look like, we will have to make a rather looooooong post to explain how patience looks in all these situations, or how self control looks in all these situations, etc. The important point is, is that the Spirit is manifesting.
    I wasn't asking what works of faith look like and yes, it's an important point that the Spirit is manifesting.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  19. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,162
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    How do you rectify that with what Jesus said, "I am the way"?

    If we come our own way, than there is more than the way.

    Too much here. I'll use color.
    Jesus is the way. But we each come to Him differently. How could this not be right?
    Did you come to God the same way I did? Or the same way all the other posters here did?
    I don't think so. I think we each had our own personal experience...



    In my thinking, the one and only way is superior to any other way.

    I think you maybe misunderstood what I mean by each of us coming to God in our own way.
    Which is the ONE AND ONLY WAY? I suppose I don't know what you mean by this.
    §The way I got to God is NOT superior to the way YOU got to God. This is what I mean.



    AND, if God accepts us as we are, then what in the world is he doing to me? Because I can guarantee I am not who I was when he accepted me. He gone and done changed me. And he keeps chiseling me into what he wants -- with or without my permission.

    Yes. Mis-understandings here. God DOES accept us as we are.
    There are two thought systems:
    1. Get "perfect" and then come to God.
    2. Come to God and He'll make you "perfect".

    We are to go to God as we are. He accepts us as we are. We aren't turned away.
    THEN He will make us into a better. person.
    God does not call the sanctified.
    He sanctifies the called.



    As for following Jesus being our uniformity? Come on! Get real! (Teasing you, not really blasting you here.) You got off BDF to ask this because you know the definition of "FOLLOW Christ" changes drastically depending on who says it. We're as "uniformed" as a mountain range, including the foothills. We belong on the Misfit Toys Island, (reference to Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer out of Christmas season, so figured most won't remember it now), yet God picked some of us to be his army, just like he picked Gideon and that army. It's never about what we do. It's always about what he does.

    I got off the Works thread because I realized I wasn't being understood.
    OR, I was understood but some didn't like what I was saying. Maybe I was using the wrong word? Maybe I've been gone too long and I don't know what's going on over there?

    So far it seems to me that "works" has become a bad word. I don't know why since Jesus spoke of works and not of salvation.
    I dare anyone here to go through the gospels and check out how many times Jesus spoke of being born again (I'll tell you, about 4 or 5 times) and how many times He spoke of HOW we're supposed to behave as Christians ( I'll tell you, about 100).

    So, yes, I'd like to use a word that MEANS THE SAME, but is more accepted. Is this wrong?? Maybe "deeds" is the word?
    I don't have a problem with works, but many do and many have a problem with the concept itself.
    Christianity is not about DOING. It's about BEING. BUT when one BECOMES, he also DOES.
    Catch-22.

    Oh. And about what He does. He already DID. Now it's up to us.
    First of all, it's the Holy Spirit who is our paraclete, Not Jesus.
    Second, this idea is theologically wrong, but I'm really tired of saying why.
    Think about it. Jesus DOES IT ALL. EVERYTHING?



    The upside is he loves us and is ever so merciful to us, that it is worth following him. He was the kind hand that gave us food and patted us on the head, after buying us from a dog fight. Obeying him doesn't come natural to us. Biting him does. But his love and kindness slowly teaches us The Way.

    He saved us. He completely, utterly, forcefully, lovingly, mercifully saved us. Not because of who we are. Because of who he is.

    Yes, that really does get us to want to follow him, and obey him, but that is the effect, not the cause.

    Effect, cause. Thin red line. You just explained the difference between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant.
    You just explained why we are able to keep the New Covenant.
    LOVE FOR JESUS.
    So, is our work an effect or a cause?
    I think it's the same.
    Our love causes us to work.
    Our work is an effect of our Love.



    To say we are worthy because we work for him, is to negate who he is and who we are.
    Ooooh ! WHO ever said that our works make us worthy????
    Then Ephesians 2:8 would be wrong!
    Forgot Galatians 2:16, that's even MORE clear.

    It's my belief that God wants us to work for Him and when we believe in Jesus we do because we become one in spirit with Him... but what makes us worthy is the BELIEF, not the works.

  20. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,162
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: WORKS SALVATION

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    And then there is the reverse of that nugget:
    If we are doing it all, then we never needed Jesus in the first place.

    If we could do any of it, we never need the Lord.

    I'm not against saying God has us sin sometimes. Roman 1 gets into what God does when we choose to ignore him to be all of us we can be. And it's not pretty.

    I don't know who John McArthur is.

    Do you mean that GOD HAS US SIN...
    or do you mean that God ALLOWS us to sin?

    Big difference. I think you mean the second.

    As far as needing Jesus...
    What exactly did we need Jesus for?

    Maybe that's a thread??

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Salvation Not Possible Without Works
    By SeaBass in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5132
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2015, 09:55 AM
  2. Salvation is Definitely By Works -- God's Works, not Man's
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM
  3. Works Not Possible Without Salvation (Good Works, that is)
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 10th, 2014, 12:48 AM
  4. Salvation works like this.
    By Cobus in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 26th, 2012, 08:35 AM
  5. Works and Salvation
    By Ciscokid in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM