Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Willie-T
  • 1 Post By Depleted
  • 1 Post By Blain
  • 1 Post By graceNpeace
  • 1 Post By Blain
  • 3 Post By Joidevivre
  • 1 Post By Innerfire89
  • 2 Post By Blain
  • 1 Post By Desertsrose
  • 1 Post By Innerfire89
  • 1 Post By Desertsrose

Miscellaneous

Random topics from random people!

Thread: Lutheran rosary?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Lutheran rosary?

    I heard a Lutheran pastor talk about using rosary and I was just wondering if that was a common practice by most Lutherans. By what the pastor said, Lutherans don't use rosary the same way Roman Catholics do, they don't ask for intercession from Mary and the beads are more of a reminder to meditate on core beliefs.

    I just never heard of this before, so what's the deal?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,193
    Rep Power
    233

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Well, you know that Martin Luther was originally a Catholic.
    Innerfire89 likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,370
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    263

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Innerfire89 View Post
    I heard a Lutheran pastor talk about using rosary and I was just wondering if that was a common practice by most Lutherans. By what the pastor said, Lutherans don't use rosary the same way Roman Catholics do, they don't ask for intercession from Mary and the beads are more of a reminder to meditate on core beliefs.

    I just never heard of this before, so what's the deal?
    Never heard it either, so googled.

    http://www.wikihow.com/Pray-the-Lutheran-Rosary
    Innerfire89 likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  4. #4
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Well, you know that Martin Luther was originally a Catholic.
    It's probably safe to say Luther prayed the rosary, and Calvin belived in the perpetual virginity of Mary. I'm not looking to have a dual with a Roman Catholic, but Rome left those early reformers more than the reformers left Rome.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    Never heard it either, so googled.

    http://www.wikihow.com/Pray-the-Lutheran-Rosary
    So its just a slightly modified version of the Roman Catholic rosary. I bet some Lutherans have done away with the hail Mary prayers though.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    179

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Honestly I don't even know what Lutherians believe so them using a Rosary would be over my head, but I never understood the point of using an item to pray I mean is it supposed to somehow enhance the power of the prayer? and for that matter why do people use oil to anoint a house?
    Innerfire89 likes this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  7. #7
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Honestly I don't even know what Lutherians believe so them using a Rosary would be over my head, but I never understood the point of using an item to pray I mean is it supposed to somehow enhance the power of the prayer? and for that matter why do people use oil to anoint a house?
    As far as I know, Lutherans are one of the most lithigural denominations, I didn't know it went that far though. I think they believe in transubstantiation also, not really sure though.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,187
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Innerfire89 View Post
    As far as I know, Lutherans are one of the most lithigural denominations, I didn't know it went that far though. I think they believe in transubstantiation also, not really sure though.
    Is this supposed to be liturgical...
    Innerfire89 likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    179

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Innerfire89 View Post
    As far as I know, Lutherans are one of the most lithigural denominations, I didn't know it went that far though. I think they believe in transubstantiation also, not really sure though.
    Well I suppose in each branch of Christianity they have different ways of doing things, I don't know the depth of each one but I would assume that it probably is different from how I do things. I can't really say that it's wrong to use a rosary when prayer I mean whatever helps you to feel more comfortable talking with God if you need to use a rosary then I say by all means go for it.
    However there is a limit to how lenient I am when it comes to prayer such as praying to Mary or using chanting.

    But I have only heard of Catholics using those methods so perhaps this may be a new breed of Lutherians
    Innerfire89 likes this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  10. #10
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by graceNpeace View Post
    Is this supposed to be liturgical...
    I did that on purpose just to make people ask. Lol.

    Yes, it's supposed to to be liturgical.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Well I suppose in each branch of Christianity they have different ways of doing things, I don't know the depth of each one but I would assume that it probably is different from how I do things. I can't really say that it's wrong to use a rosary when prayer I mean whatever helps you to feel more comfortable talking with God if you need to use a rosary then I say by all means go for it.
    However there is a limit to how lenient I am when it comes to prayer such as praying to Mary or using chanting.

    But I have only heard of Catholics using those methods so perhaps this may be a new breed of Lutherians
    I couldn't support them if they are praying repitive prayers, but if the beads are a simple reminder I see no problem with that.

    Mat. 5:7 But when ye pray, do not use vain repetitions, like the heathen do: for they think they shall be heard for their much speaking.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Joidevivre's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2014
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,513
    Blog Entries
    456
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    It all seems so ritualistic to me. I don't like to be told what to pray and in the order of it.

    My heart speaks very well by itself.
    Blain, Desertsrose and Innerfire89 like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joidevivre View Post
    It all seems so ritualistic to me. I don't like to be told what to pray and in the order of it.

    My heart speaks very well by itself.
    Good point, prayer means nothing if you don't mean it.
    Blain likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    179

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joidevivre View Post
    It all seems so ritualistic to me. I don't like to be told what to pray and in the order of it.

    My heart speaks very well by itself.
    I'm the same way, I mean if I can't talk to him with my heart and express myself in the way that he and I communicate best in then what is the point? For me prayer is more of a conversion than anything
    Desertsrose and Innerfire89 like this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  15. #15
    Senior Member Desertsrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    175

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Innerfire89 View Post
    It's probably safe to say Luther prayed the rosary, and Calvin belived in the perpetual virginity of Mary. I'm not looking to have a dual with a Roman Catholic, but Rome left those early reformers more than the reformers left Rome.
    Hi Innerfire,

    It's not accurate that Calvin believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary.
    Innerfire89 likes this.
    Ezekiel 18:23 Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked,” declares the Lord God, “rather than that he should turn from his ways and live?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertsrose View Post
    Hi Innerfire,

    It's not accurate that Calvin believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary.
    Im a Calvinist, so I hope I am wrong on that one.
    Desertsrose likes this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Desertsrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    175

    Default Re: Lutheran rosary?

    Yes, you're mistaken. He views Mary is the correct way; not as the Catholics do.
    Innerfire89 likes this.
    Ezekiel 18:23 Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked,” declares the Lord God, “rather than that he should turn from his ways and live?

Similar Threads

  1. What's the Biggest Rosary You Have?
    By mrgrey in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM
  2. rosary & purgatory
    By sunny2day in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 8th, 2013, 05:39 PM
  3. Do You Understand The Blessed Holy Rosary Prayer???
    By OFM in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM
  4. Rosary in Prayer Room.
    By baileysleepydo in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM