Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 151
Like Tree308Likes

Miscellaneous

Random topics from random people!

Thread: Learning or Talking?

  1. #41
    Senior Member Pipp's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2013
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,437
    Rep Power
    59

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Both. Sometimes I have something to say and sometimes I need to be quiet and learn from people who have more experiences or situations or even viewpoints.
    G00WZ, Lynx, Reborn and 6 others like this.
    If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

    A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.
    Roald Dahl, The Twits

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    Could you be more specific? Do you mean the people who refuse instruction and are “brutish” or do you mean the people who tell everyone what they should be feeling or doing about situations in their lives (unsolicited advice, I realize some people here ask for advice).

    I think there is a failure to communicate among the people here to learn and the people who are here to talk.

    What is your primary purpose on this site, learning or talking?
    probably a little of both
    G00WZ and Galatea like this.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    You would be a rare one, then. It seems to me most people here want to tell others what to believe.
    Honestly, chat boards become a a pulpit for some people and their fruit shows that they would never, ever be allowed to minister, lead or preach or teach in real life, so they come here, set up fiefdoms and believe God called them to be a Chaplain of the Christian Chat board. I see some of the same control and games here I see in real churches.
    Galatea likes this.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    312

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    I am very curious about people’s attitudes toward the benefits of this site. On more than one occasion, I have been told here that I do not have a teachable spirit. I find it kind of surprising, as I don’t post here to learn anything, but to talk. No offense, but if I want to learn, I can read the Bible for myself. I come here because I am lonely and want to talk.

    So, my question is this- are you here to learn or here to talk?

    Yes, I know the two are not mutually exclusive. But, there must be a primary reason why people are talking to strangers online.
    First, I find it funny that people tell you that you don't have a teachable spirit. You're a teacher! By nature, that means you like learning enough to want to teach others.

    I consider "you don't have a teachable spirit" as something people say because they're upset you aren't listening to them as if what they have to say is gospel -- just another excuse to pass on our faults as someone else's fault. Truthfully, people like that just make me laugh.

    But why am I here? Because here is the only fellowship I get besides my husband. So, I'm here for fellowship. And what does that mean to me? A combination of edify, be edified, and elbow-to-elbow so we can smooth out each others' rough edges. I do love it when I learn on here, but I'm not here to learn. Same reason you aren't -- if I want to learn something, I'll study it.

    Friends! I've got friends now. People who won't merely put up with me when I'm in a bad mood, but will still love me even then. I consider you one of them.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  5. #45
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    312

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    What about spiritual things, though? I tend to have fixed beliefs. I doubt very much that a stranger online will convince me to believe things contrary to my own beliefs. People could argue with me all day and all night, and I would still not believe abortion is fine for any reason, for example.
    I worry about Christians who have "fixed beliefs."

    Here were the "fixed beliefs" I had when I was 20, that I no longer believe now:
    -- Russia is going to start Armageddon.
    -- I do not have the Holy Spirit in me because I cannot speak in tongues.
    -- I'm going to hell because I can't do what God wants me to do.
    -- I made up my own mind and became saved because of that.
    -- God saved me. Now, it is up to me to walk it out right.
    -- No way, no how am I ever going to get married. Not. Worth. The. Sorrow!
    -- God loves me sometimes.
    -- Trust myself.
    -- When God slams a door, he opens a window.
    -- Only the lazy can't get enough food or shelter.
    -- 10% to God, 10% to retirement, and you'll be fine when you retire.

    I worry about Christians who have fixed beliefs. After all, God spends our life changing some of our beliefs. Seems kind of disrespectful to keep them fixed.
    Joidevivre, notmyown and Galatea like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  6. #46
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    312

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    I am rather hard headed. I don’t come to the conclusion that I am wrong by talking to people. Anytime I find out I am wrong about something, it must be proven wrong to me. I must need evidence that I am wrong.
    Ever get enough evidence to put in the effort to find out if you might be wrong? Or do you insist others have to spoon-feed you it? (Just checking which kind of person you are, because either way, you're saying you are willing to change your mind. lol)
    Galatea likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  7. #47
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    312

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    I don’t care looking like a fool, I am a fool. So if I am proven wrong, it is par for the course.
    Yeah, but then once proven "par for the course," do you remain the fool, or wise up? And I ask as someone who easily admits I'm foolish often. I just got tired of spending too much time in the belly of a fish.
    Galatea and NoNameMcgee like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  8. #48
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    312

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laish View Post
    I am here for a bit of both. I enjoy reading other folks posts . Even if I disagree with a post I really like to find out where someone is coming from. I like clarity . Agreement comes later. I also like to share my beliefs and opinions too . I generaly won’t say much unless I think. Can add something of value. If someone has already said what I think I probably won’t say anything. So I guess it’s about 75% reading an 25% talking. That’s the way I am here and in person I am about the same .
    Blessings
    Bill
    We'd get along famously then, because I'm 75% talk and 25% listen. lol
    Laish and Galatea like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  9. #49
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    312

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeraza_Bats View Post
    Sadly, Ive been there before. I remember one "debate" I had with a member who talked as if I knew nothing and accused me of being a trumpeter for Fox News (which I dont even watch btw : p). I let myself get angry and take pride in the fact that I could prove him wrong, so much that I rubbed his nose into it.

    Ive definitely found myself being a bully here before, and had to take time away to turn myself around from such behavior.
    As I read these responses, I'm envisioning a huge room so we morons can have a party, and then a penalty box we can put ourselves in when we realize being abrasive just to be abrasive isn't a good thing either.

    God's been chipping away at my abrasive side, and yet he's letting me keep the abrasive-for-him parts.
    Yeraza_Bats, Laish and Galatea like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  10. #50
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    312

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    Honestly, chat boards become a a pulpit for some people and their fruit shows that they would never, ever be allowed to minister, lead or preach or teach in real life, so they come here, set up fiefdoms and believe God called them to be a Chaplain of the Christian Chat board. I see some of the same control and games here I see in real churches.
    One small correction: Since the ones who imagine themselves as Chaplain of Christian Chat have no one playing along, you can't see that in a real church. Real churches require enough people to maintain the cost of the building, so there would be no such people pastoring them, because no one to pastor.

    (Lynnie Logic. Might take you some time to get that to fit into one thought and understand. lol)
    Laish, Galatea and beastslayer1970 like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  11. #51
    Senior Member Yeraza_Bats's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2014
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,582
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    I worry about Christians who have "fixed beliefs."

    Here were the "fixed beliefs" I had when I was 20, that I no longer believe now:
    -- Russia is going to start Armageddon.
    -- I do not have the Holy Spirit in me because I cannot speak in tongues.
    -- I'm going to hell because I can't do what God wants me to do.
    -- I made up my own mind and became saved because of that.
    -- God saved me. Now, it is up to me to walk it out right.
    -- No way, no how am I ever going to get married. Not. Worth. The. Sorrow!
    -- God loves me sometimes.
    -- Trust myself.
    -- When God slams a door, he opens a window.
    -- Only the lazy can't get enough food or shelter.
    -- 10% to God, 10% to retirement, and you'll be fine when you retire.

    I worry about Christians who have fixed beliefs. After all, God spends our life changing some of our beliefs. Seems kind of disrespectful to keep them fixed.
    There are SOME good things that we shouldnt let go of, though. There is one person on this forum who criticizes other Christians for stating that Christ is God. They believe that the answer "isnt so clear", and that we cant possibly know that, and that claiming others who claim He is less are incorrect is wrong.

    But, anyone who has read the Bible knows that it fully claims that He is equal with God, that He expects to be honored just as God is honored, accepted worship, and was called God His followers. Its without question that He is God. While He didnt say "I am God, worship Me" in exact words, He gave all of Gods attributes to Himself, even claiming that He owns all that God owns and has authority over heaven and the earth.

    There are definitely SOME things that I wont be convinced differently of : p I hold some opinions for less important things, like who the antichrist will be and all that. I occasionally talk about it, but I dont feel its important enough to have a serious debate over : p But there are some facts that I wont change my opinion on, and I think we should all be that way to some extent.
    I am a strong supporter of followers of Christ who struggle with the lbgt lifestyle. If you are struggling in faith with this like I do, feel free to contact me for support, encouragement or even for a friend. Or to give me your much needed support and encouragement as well

    Do not follow your heart, but guard it.
    (Proverbs 4:23)


    Who is the liar? It is he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. It is the antichrist that denies the Father and the Son.
    1 John 2:22

    Instagram

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    One small correction: Since the ones who imagine themselves as Chaplain of Christian Chat have no one playing along, you can't see that in a real church. Real churches require enough people to maintain the cost of the building, so there would be no such people pastoring them, because no one to pastor.

    (Lynnie Logic. Might take you some time to get that to fit into one thought and understand. lol)
    I have logic like this on some things to. thanks for the chuckle.
    Galatea likes this.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,574
    Rep Power
    144

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Hub and I are here because we were led/sent here,,,and we will leave here,
    when our Saviour commands us to...whether or not people like or accept what
    we say through The Holy Spirit, means absolutely nothing, for our hearts only live
    to serve and obey our Holy Saviour...
    Tinuviel and Depleted like this.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,531
    Rep Power
    119

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    First, I find it funny that people tell you that you don't have a teachable spirit. You're a teacher! By nature, that means you like learning enough to want to teach others.

    I consider "you don't have a teachable spirit" as something people say because they're upset you aren't listening to them as if what they have to say is gospel -- just another excuse to pass on our faults as someone else's fault. Truthfully, people like that just make me laugh.

    But why am I here? Because here is the only fellowship I get besides my husband. So, I'm here for fellowship. And what does that mean to me? A combination of edify, be edified, and elbow-to-elbow so we can smooth out each others' rough edges. I do love it when I learn on here, but I'm not here to learn. Same reason you aren't -- if I want to learn something, I'll study it.

    Friends! I've got friends now. People who won't merely put up with me when I'm in a bad mood, but will still love me even then. I consider you one of them.
    I am honored you consider me a friend. I think you are probably the wisest person on this site. I’m also very glad you are edified here, and edify.
    tourist and Laish like this.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  15. #55
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,531
    Rep Power
    119

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    Yeah, but then once proven "par for the course," do you remain the fool, or wise up? And I ask as someone who easily admits I'm foolish often. I just got tired of spending too much time in the belly of a fish.
    It depends. I have been a fool for a long time about something. The evidence is conflicting. I generally believe it is a hopeless situation, yet I get glimpses of something else underneath, and wonder if it is as hopeless as I believe.

    I don’t relinquish long held beliefs very easily.
    Susanna and Depleted like this.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  16. #56
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,531
    Rep Power
    119

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    Ever get enough evidence to put in the effort to find out if you might be wrong? Or do you insist others have to spoon-feed you it? (Just checking which kind of person you are, because either way, you're saying you are willing to change your mind. lol)
    I’d rather be spoon fed as I don’t trust my own perceptions, lol.
    Depleted and Laish like this.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  17. #57
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,531
    Rep Power
    119

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    I worry about Christians who have "fixed beliefs."

    Here were the "fixed beliefs" I had when I was 20, that I no longer believe now:
    -- Russia is going to start Armageddon.
    -- I do not have the Holy Spirit in me because I cannot speak in tongues.
    -- I'm going to hell because I can't do what God wants me to do.
    -- I made up my own mind and became saved because of that.
    -- God saved me. Now, it is up to me to walk it out right.
    -- No way, no how am I ever going to get married. Not. Worth. The. Sorrow!
    -- God loves me sometimes.
    -- Trust myself.
    -- When God slams a door, he opens a window.
    -- Only the lazy can't get enough food or shelter.
    -- 10% to God, 10% to retirement, and you'll be fine when you retire.

    I worry about Christians who have fixed beliefs. After all, God spends our life changing some of our beliefs. Seems kind of disrespectful to keep them fixed.
    You are right, but if my beliefs change on a subject, I don’t think they will be by a random person on the internet. I have changed my beliefs about my faith, and it was due to talking to someone on another site, but I had known him for a while and trusted his translation of Greek words. I would not believe just any person.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  18. #58


    20
    20 is offline
    Senior Member 20's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2015
    Age
    54
    Posts
    309
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Let's take a look what Jesus say KJVMatthew12:35-36 35. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
    KJVPsalm55;22 Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee; he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

  19. #59
    Senior Member LightBright's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2017
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    I am very curious about people’s attitudes toward the benefits of this site. On more than one occasion, I have been told here that I do not have a teachable spirit. I find it kind of surprising, as I don’t post here to learn anything, but to talk. No offense, but if I want to learn, I can read the Bible for myself. I come here because I am lonely and want to talk.

    So, my question is this- are you here to learn or here to talk?

    Yes, I know the two are not mutually exclusive. But, there must be a primary reason why people are talking to strangers online.
    I've never really thought about it until now tbh. But although it's both the main reason is to talk ig. I didn't just want to come on here to post something once a day though i was hoping to make actual friends. Since i don't have a church atm i dont get to be around other Christians really so i came on here to hopefully find people that could stand to be around me for long periods of time cx. I honestly dont think too much about learning here because that's not what this is for i mean i could learn something but that's not why i joined at all there are better ways to learn things. Ig that's it, back to frand finding.
    Depleted and Galatea like this.
    God First God Bless
    "Seek first the kingdom of God and that other crap will totally come too" ~ Nate's International Version

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,915
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Learning or Talking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    It depends. I have been a fool for a long time about something. The evidence is conflicting. I generally believe it is a hopeless situation, yet I get glimpses of something else underneath, and wonder if it is as hopeless as I believe.

    I don’t relinquish long held beliefs very easily.
    We really need a forum for the different shades of morons and fools.

    I am the first member.

    Wanna join?

    Problem is that most (the only one) of the members (me) can't even get elected dog catcher.

    Lol.
    Galatea likes this.
    AWV

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Key to Learning.
    By Grace777x70 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 11th, 2016, 08:10 AM
  2. What I'm learning
    By JFSurvivor in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: December 7th, 2015, 02:46 AM
  3. Learning
    By womanofchrist27 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2014, 11:24 PM
  4. Learning
    By resurrection33 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
  5. Learning to know him
    By LawofLove in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM