Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
Like Tree88Likes

Miscellaneous

Random topics from random people!

Thread: Main reason people become Christians?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    19,041
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    386

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seedz View Post
    This is talking about the flesh. The flesh is influenced by the enemy.

    We are flesh and spirit. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

    Matthew 26:41
    Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed
    is willing, but the flesh is weak.

    Our spirit was designed to have a relationship with God, and it does indeed have a God shaped void that only God can fill. Jesus is the mediator between the Father and man.

    Our spirit knows it is lacking something and it is willing to reconnect with God. The flesh in the other hand only wants to experience pleasure, regardless of the consequences of sin.

    God does not pick and chose who gets saved. It is a gift for all men. Not just for "The chosen ones."
    I admit my flesh has dents, bruises, freckles here and there, sags, wrinkles, and old scars, but it is not wicked, nor has it ever been wicked. Generally speaking it does a pretty good job of keeping me together.

    No, really, the verses are about Man, not just flesh.

    We (not just part of us, but all of us), were designed to serve the Lord. And then there was the Fall. And ever since that our human nature wants to hide in the darkness.

    Thank God, for John 3:21! Because that's where God does what we never considered to do!
    Angela53510, GuessWho and Laish like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  2. #22
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    I admit my flesh has dents, bruises, freckles here and there, sags, wrinkles, and old scars, but it is not wicked, nor has it ever been wicked. Generally speaking it does a pretty good job of keeping me together.

    No, really, the verses are about Man, not just flesh.

    We (not just part of us, but all of us), were designed to serve the Lord. And then there was the Fall. And ever since that our human nature wants to hide in the darkness.

    Thank God, for John 3:21! Because that's where God does what we never considered to do!

    Ok so you are saying your flesh is what keeps your relationship with God?

  3. #23
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    19,041
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    386

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seedz View Post
    Ok so you are saying your flesh is what keeps your relationship with God?
    No, I'm saying my flesh keeps my muscles, blood, and organs from falling all over the place. lol

    (Warning: I have an odd sense of humor. )

    I already said what keeps my relationship with God -- God. He's sovereign. He chose me. I cannot unchoose him. About as sane as thinking I can swim to the moon.
    Angela53510 and Laish like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  4. #24
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    No, I'm saying my flesh keeps my muscles, blood, and organs from falling all over the place. lol

    (Warning: I have an odd sense of humor. )

    I already said what keeps my relationship with God -- God. He's sovereign. He chose me. I cannot unchoose him. About as sane as thinking I can swim to the moon.

    So you are exempt from what the bible that talks about the struggles of the flesh because God has chosen you?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    19,041
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    386

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seedz View Post
    So you are exempt from what the bible that talks about the struggles of the flesh because God has chosen you?
    No. I cannot/will not say "my flesh made me do it." All of me went into deciding to do any given sin. None of me decided to follow the Lord. And it was never a struggle before I was born again, because it didn't bother me to sin. What got me following the Lord is... yet again, the Lord, not me. You've made a dissociative personality disorder theology, where you can blame your flesh for sinning, and yet proudly say you've been saved by another personality within you. That's giving yourself credit for "deciding," when Jesus clearly said no one decides to follow the Lord. The Father wrought/carried out it.

    Do a word study on "free will" in the Bible. And good luck, because you'll need luck to find free will in the Bible. (Luck doesn't exist either, since God is sovereign.)
    Angela53510, longtrekker and Laish like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  6. #26
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    No. I cannot/will not say "my flesh made me do it." All of me went into deciding to do any given sin. None of me decided to follow the Lord. And it was never a struggle before I was born again, because it didn't bother me to sin. What got me following the Lord is... yet again, the Lord, not me. You've made a dissociative personality disorder theology, where you can blame your flesh for sinning, and yet proudly say you've been saved by another personality within you. That's giving yourself credit for "deciding," when Jesus clearly said no one decides to follow the Lord. The Father wrought/carried out it.

    Do a word study on "free will" in the Bible. And good luck, because you'll need luck to find free will in the Bible. (Luck doesn't exist either, since God is sovereign.)

    I never blame the flesh, I blame myself, but there is no guilt because I have been forgiven.

    i don't give credit to anyone else but Jesus and the Holy Spirit working in me for my salvation.

    Temptations are real, and the word address such topic.

    Are you saying that because you have been chosen by the lord that your flesh is not weak and it does not struggle ever at all?

    Or all those passages about the flesh and temptation were just filler?

  7. #27
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    No. I cannot/will not say "my flesh made me do it." All of me went into deciding to do any given sin. None of me decided to follow the Lord. And it was never a struggle before I was born again, because it didn't bother me to sin. What got me following the Lord is... yet again, the Lord, not me. You've made a dissociative personality disorder theology, where you can blame your flesh for sinning, and yet proudly say you've been saved by another personality within you. That's giving yourself credit for "deciding," when Jesus clearly said no one decides to follow the Lord. The Father wrought/carried out it.

    Do a word study on "free will" in the Bible. And good luck, because you'll need luck to find free will in the Bible. (Luck doesn't exist either, since God is sovereign.)

    What does this passage say to you?


    Joshua 24:15King James Version (KJV)

    15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.


    Joshua 24:15English Standard Version (ESV)

    15 And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

    Looks like we have choice from our own will.......

    This is not the only evidence.

    We are not robots, and God wishes for all to be saved, WE chose to follow and serve him.




  8. #28
    Senior Member Angela53510's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2011
    Age
    64
    Posts
    9,274
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    305

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    I did NOT choose God. I ran from God, as fast and as far away from him as I could. But, Jesus chose me, and when he called me, he saved me, and then I repented. No questions asked.

    We do not ever “choose” God! He is sovereign and he chooses us. Further, if you can find the words “free will” together in the Bible, I will concede defeat! But, I don’t have to, because they aren’t there.

    As Lynn said, this “free will” choice, where we choose God is a modern gospel, NOT the Biblical gospel.

    You did not choose me, but I chose you..” John 15:16a
    20 and Laish like this.
    "And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." 2 Cor. 12:9 NASB

  9. #29
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela53510 View Post
    I did NOT choose God. I ran from God, as fast and as far away from him as I could. But, Jesus chose me, and when he called me, he saved me, and then I repented. No questions asked.

    We do not ever “choose” God! He is sovereign and he chooses us. Further, if you can find the words “free will” together in the Bible, I will concede defeat! But, I don’t have to, because they aren’t there.

    As Lynn said, this “free will” choice, where we choose God is a modern gospel, NOT the Biblical gospel.

    You did not choose me, but I chose you..” John 15:16a
    what is the point of preaching the gospel and of the disciples using their lives to spread the good news?

    If God just chooses and calls you, then were all the efforts of spreading the gospel in vain?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,445
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    well, all I can say, is that certain moments in my life, from a very young age, I did choose
    to dis-obey God, and I did suffer, it was my choice, certainly not His - I felt guilt from a very
    young age when doing something that I knew was just NOT RIGHT, and this did start to give me
    a kind of gauge...I know for sure that Jesus had separated me from others that were around me,
    because I chose not to follow them, at one point of my growing-up, but of course, at different times
    in my life, as I was growing up,
    I did follow and accept many wrong things, of which I had to repent of and 'turn away from' -
    I certainly could never have done this without the Love of God working on me with a heavy, Loving, hand!...
    Last edited by oldethennew; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:18 PM.
    Seedz likes this.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Monnkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2014
    Age
    28
    Posts
    939
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Well I was afraid of Hell and I knew if I were to not change I would go there. But that's not what lead me to love the Lord it was a primal fear of being punished for all the horrible things I've done. One day a few years ago sometime during April I decided I had enough and I gave it all to the Lord. What I found was what I was searching for all my life. Peace. All though its not there all the time I surely would have killed myself if not for the Lord. The Lord gave me a house, a family who loves me and few wonderful talents. I owe him so much. I could never fully repay him.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,445
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    what a very, very, sweet 'testimony'!!!
    Monnkai likes this.

  13. #33
    Senior Member CherieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    555
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    I believe in free-will to a degree. While I don't believe that God makes it impossible for someone to turn to Jesus, I also believe that a person's heart can become so cold and cruel, hating God and the world in general, that serious divine intervention is needed. There would need to be a nerve that is struck deep within, such as with the love of God or perhaps an awakening of fear towards God where before there was none.

    I grew up in a family that always went to church and I liked church a lot. That was likely a big part in me being Christian. That and being afraid of going to hell. That fear was probably fueled by the struggle I had with believing that God loved me. Someone told me once that Jesus loves me and I acted as if I had never heard that in my life. You can hear something like a thousand times without it sinking deep enough to last. It takes time for God's love to be anchored in the heart and for truth of his love to go from the head to the heart. Then you may pray and ask for deeper understanding of his love and as you listen well to one song or word that you read or hear, his love can hit you like a ton of bricks. Even after that, it can take time for his love to reach into the deepest recesses of the heart. I still think I have so much to take in of his love and have that fill me.
    longtrekker likes this.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Pipp's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2013
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,584
    Rep Power
    89

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Because I realized that all my righteousness were filthy rags in the sight of God and only by the shed blood of Jesup could my sins be covered and forgiven.
    Seedz likes this.
    If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

    A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.
    Roald Dahl, The Twits

  15. #35
    Senior Member Angela53510's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2011
    Age
    64
    Posts
    9,274
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    305

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seedz View Post
    what is the point of preaching the gospel and of the disciples using their lives to spread the good news?

    If God just chooses and calls you, then were all the efforts of spreading the gospel in vain?

    Where did I say in my post that the gospel was not preached? Of course, preaching the gospel is the way God ordains that the lost might hear, and he can save them. I was exposed to the gospel in Baptist Sunday School as a child, (lots of memorizing Scripture, which worked on my heart!) and personal preaching and testimonies during a revival, and my husband, (future) who told me about sin and repentance. I did run, but God was following the whole time, putting the gospel in my path.

    Then, he saved me! I did not save myself, say a sinner’s prayer, or do anything on my own. It was 100% God saving me.

    Besides, your comment totally misses the fact, that so many of the evangelists in the 18th and 19th centuries were Reformed. Like Jonathan Edwards, George Whitfield, Charles Spurgeon who spent their lives preaching the message of salvation. And that God saves poeple, not of our works, lest anyone should boast. (Eph. 2:9)

    Decisional regeneration is a lie! Now, I do think sometimes God will use an evangelist or preacher to preach the gospel, and the person will be saved. But just because they signed a card at that point, and prayed a sinners prayer, doesn’t make that how they were saved. It is God who saves us! Period!

    The other big fault of decisional regeneration is that if you are a part of being saved, then you can also lose your salvation. You made a decision to be born again, so you can make a decision to walk away. But when God saves you, there is no losing your salvation!

    In John 3, Jesus made it clear that we are “born from above” the meaning of anothen. (γεννηθῇ ἄνωθεν)

    Jesus replied, “I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3 NET.

    How can we make ourselves “born from above?” NO! It is totally a work from God. But yes, the preaching of the gospel is required to be saved. Not that we save ourselves! But that God uses the gospel, which is his plan for salvation.

    You have set up a straw man, in saying preaching the gospel is in vain. No one believes that!
    Laish and preacher4truth like this.
    "And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." 2 Cor. 12:9 NASB

  16. #36
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,142
    Rep Power
    173

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seedz View Post
    what is the point of preaching the gospel and of the disciples using their lives to spread the good news?

    If God just chooses and calls you, then were all the efforts of spreading the gospel in vain?
    Note 2 Timothy 2:8-10, Acts 18:9-11. We preach because it is God's decree to do so, and consequently his elect will be saved. Yet we do not know who the elect are so we do as Paul and preach for the sake of the elect. God chooses and calls, it is his plan, and he also commands to preach the Gospel, which is also his plan.
    Angela53510 and Laish like this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    Open Theism and Molinism, two inept theological camps, do err in this sense; God doesn't have an R&D department, He does all things perfectly.

    A god who can be fashioned by our own thoughts is no more a god than an image produced by our own hands. - Charles Spurgeon

  17. #37
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,142
    Rep Power
    173

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela53510 View Post
    Where did I say in my post that the gospel was not preached? Of course, preaching the gospel is the way God ordains that the lost might hear, and he can save them. I was exposed to the gospel in Baptist Sunday School as a child, (lots of memorizing Scripture, which worked on my heart!) and personal preaching and testimonies during a revival, and my husband, (future) who told me about sin and repentance. I did run, but God was following the whole time, putting the gospel in my path.

    Then, he saved me! I did not save myself, say a sinner’s prayer, or do anything on my own. It was 100% God saving me.

    Besides, your comment totally misses the fact, that so many of the evangelists in the 18th and 19th centuries were Reformed. Like Jonathan Edwards, George Whitfield, Charles Spurgeon who spent their lives preaching the message of salvation. And that God saves poeple, not of our works, lest anyone should boast. (Eph. 2:9)

    Decisional regeneration is a lie! Now, I do think sometimes God will use an evangelist or preacher to preach the gospel, and the person will be saved. But just because they signed a card at that point, and prayed a sinners prayer, doesn’t make that how they were saved. It is God who saves us! Period!

    The other big fault of decisional regeneration is that if you are a part of being saved, then you can also lose your salvation. You made a decision to be born again, so you can make a decision to walk away. But when God saves you, there is no losing your salvation!

    In John 3, Jesus made it clear that we are “born from above” the meaning of anothen. (γεννηθῇ ἄνωθεν)

    Jesus replied, “I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3 NET.

    How can we make ourselves “born from above?” NO! It is totally a work from God. But yes, the preaching of the gospel is required to be saved. Not that we save ourselves! But that God uses the gospel, which is his plan for salvation.

    You have set up a straw man, in saying preaching the gospel is in vain. No one believes that!
    Amen!!!!!!!!
    Angela53510 and Laish like this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    Open Theism and Molinism, two inept theological camps, do err in this sense; God doesn't have an R&D department, He does all things perfectly.

    A god who can be fashioned by our own thoughts is no more a god than an image produced by our own hands. - Charles Spurgeon

  18. #38
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela53510 View Post
    Where did I say in my post that the gospel was not preached? Of course, preaching the gospel is the way God ordains that the lost might hear, and he can save them. I was exposed to the gospel in Baptist Sunday School as a child, (lots of memorizing Scripture, which worked on my heart!) and personal preaching and testimonies during a revival, and my husband, (future) who told me about sin and repentance. I did run, but God was following the whole time, putting the gospel in my path.

    Then, he saved me! I did not save myself, say a sinner’s prayer, or do anything on my own. It was 100% God saving me.

    Besides, your comment totally misses the fact, that so many of the evangelists in the 18th and 19th centuries were Reformed. Like Jonathan Edwards, George Whitfield, Charles Spurgeon who spent their lives preaching the message of salvation. And that God saves poeple, not of our works, lest anyone should boast. (Eph. 2:9)

    Decisional regeneration is a lie! Now, I do think sometimes God will use an evangelist or preacher to preach the gospel, and the person will be saved. But just because they signed a card at that point, and prayed a sinners prayer, doesn’t make that how they were saved. It is God who saves us! Period!

    The other big fault of decisional regeneration is that if you are a part of being saved, then you can also lose your salvation. You made a decision to be born again, so you can make a decision to walk away. But when God saves you, there is no losing your salvation!

    In John 3, Jesus made it clear that we are “born from above” the meaning of anothen. (γεννηθῇ ἄνωθεν)

    Jesus replied, “I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3 NET.

    How can we make ourselves “born from above?” NO! It is totally a work from God. But yes, the preaching of the gospel is required to be saved. Not that we save ourselves! But that God uses the gospel, which is his plan for salvation.

    You have set up a straw man, in saying preaching the gospel is in vain. No one believes that!

    I don't think I am being understood.

    Never mind.

  19. #39
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,142
    Rep Power
    173

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    Only reason people become Christians -- The Lord.

    (Makes it easier, no?)





    Don't get big-headed now, next time I may use a "You've Been Chopped!" gif on ya!
    Laish likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    Open Theism and Molinism, two inept theological camps, do err in this sense; God doesn't have an R&D department, He does all things perfectly.

    A god who can be fashioned by our own thoughts is no more a god than an image produced by our own hands. - Charles Spurgeon

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2013
    Age
    45
    Posts
    889
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Main reason people become Christians?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seedz View Post
    I by no means claim to be perfect or wise. I am young, and not very experienced in life.

    However, I have come to think of a few things that I sort of only realized from myself having experienced them.

    I've wondered what encourages someone to become a true Christian?






    From what I have experienced some people try to become Christians because they fear that their souls will burn for eternity.

    Some people want to have a prosperous and wealthy life.

    Some people want healing, and some people are just scared that God is going to punish them.


    I too thought this way, and I am guilty of having been motivated by some of these ways of thinking.

    What I have now come to see is that I want to follow Christ because I want to live as I was intended to live by God.

    I want to adhere to the original design and intentions God had set for his creation.

    By doing so, we will lack nothing in every sense. Allowing the will of God to shape your life and character is truly the only way for us to find peace, love and communion with YHWH.

    I think the focus has to be redirected and we need to understand that the modern world is pushing society further and further away from the original design that God had intended for our lives.

    This way we will have better discernment when it comes to identifying snares set by the enemy.

    If we truly allow the will of God to guide our path, everything else will follow.

    Seek first the Kingdom of God, and everything else will be added.


    Can you be a "TRUE" christian unless you are a true christian? Or were "they" never saved? the wheat and the tares? The people G-d will will say I never knew you? The Word says if you believe with all of your heart and confess with your mouth you are saved, you are saved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Main Reason For So Much Division Among Christians
    By pinacled in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2015, 03:40 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2014, 11:24 PM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2013, 03:25 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 11th, 2012, 09:52 PM
  5. What was the main reason Jesus was killed?
    By VRJ in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM