Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By Willie-T
  • 1 Post By maxwel
  • 2 Post By Willie-T
  • 3 Post By Willie-T
  • 1 Post By Depleted
  • 1 Post By Willie-T
  • 1 Post By Dino246
  • 2 Post By maxwel

Miscellaneous

Random topics from random people!

Thread: Found an old book.....

  1. #1
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    22,295
    Rep Power
    310

    Default Found an old book.....

    I used to be heavily into debate classes in my school days. I have since come to hate the lack of sincerity in the whole thing.
    But, I still have many of the collection of books of silly "rules" that I once almost worshiped. And, looking at this little book, it occurred to me that there is one Logical Fallacy that keeps coming up here, that perhaps a lot of people may not fully understand.
    So, I thought I would post the definition here to hopefully eradicate some of the possible confusion surrounding the term.

    Straw Man
    Intentionally caricaturing a person's argument with the aim of attacking the caricature rather than the actual argument is what is meant by “putting up a straw man.” Misrepresenting, misquoting, misconstruing and oversimplifying are all means by which one commits this fallacy. A straw man argument is usually one that is more absurd than the actual argument, making it an easier target to attack and possibly luring a person towards defending the more ridiculous argument rather than the original one.

    For example, "My opponent is trying to convince you that we evolved from monkeys who were swinging from trees; a truly ludicrous claim. This is clearly a misrepresentation of what evolutionary biology claims, which is the idea that humans and chimpanzees shared a common ancestor several million years ago." Misrepresenting the idea is much easier than refuting the evidence for it.
    Last edited by Willie-T; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:34 PM.
    maxwel, Dino246, Tommy379 and 2 others like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Seedz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Ahhh so many flashbacks...

  3. #3
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,927
    Rep Power
    194

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    1. I agree that debate, for the sake of debate, is pretty useless and insincere.


    2. I think that out in the real world, debate does have a place... but it should never just be for the sake of debate itself, and trying to win a fight.

    If you just want to fight, It's much more honest to just put on a pair of boxing gloves.
    At least you can be friends after that, lol.


    3. I totally agree with the "straw man" problem around here.

    It's very common in religious debate, and in political debate.

    Also, I think a lot of sincere people do it ACCIDENTALLY, because they haven't taken the time to learn the other party's real position.

    I think we all fail at this, but the honest thing is to at least make at effort at it.
    We should at least make an honest effort to understand the other person's position.
    Dino246 likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    22,295
    Rep Power
    310

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    1. I agree that debate, for the sake of debate, is pretty useless and insincere.


    2. I think that out in the real world, debate does have a place... but it should never just be for the sake of debate itself, and trying to win a fight.

    If you just want to fight, It's much more honest to just put on a pair of boxing gloves.
    At least you can be friends after that, lol.


    3. I totally agree with the "straw man" problem around here.

    It's very common in religious debate, and in political debate.

    Also, I think a lot of sincere people do it ACCIDENTALLY, because they haven't taken the time to learn the other party's real position.

    I think we all fail at this, but the honest thing is to at least make at effort at it.
    We should at least make an honest effort to understand the other person's position
    .
    Yes, about the only thing good that came out of my time in debate classes was that we were often required to totally change positions, and argue, positively, for the other person's point of view.
    posthuman and Corbinscam like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    22,295
    Rep Power
    310

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Maxwell,

    This is especially for you. I think you will enjoy going through this little book.

    https://bookofbadarguments.com/
    maxwel, Dino246 and mj007 like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Corbinscam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2016
    Age
    17
    Posts
    545
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post



    Also, I think a lot of sincere people do it ACCIDENTALLY, because they haven't taken the time to learn the other party's real position.

    I think we all fail at this, but the honest thing is to at least make at effort at it.
    I think this is very accurate. Most people do it yet have no clue what they're actually doing they simply never bothered to fully research the topic to know what or why the other person is wrong. I find this pretty common....especially with religious people. I was taught why some beliefs were wrong...had it hammered into my head but I never really had anyone take an effort to teach me to study or drill the importance of study into my head. .It all becomes an "I'm right! You're WRONG!" argument....and it's of zero benefit.

    I personally enjoy debate a lot. Not heated screaming but I enjoy being presented multiple sides and really studying it.
    “Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the worlds needs is people who have come alive.”
    John Eldredge

  7. #7
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    19,097
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    387

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Maxwell,

    This is especially for you. I think you will enjoy going through this little book.

    https://bookofbadarguments.com/
    When I read your first post, it reminded me of that book in the link you just gave. I know I saved it as a page, but I have something like 10,000 (if not more), saved pages, so knew I'd never find it.

    Love that book. Wish I could copy/paste just one page from it.
    Willie-T likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  8. #8
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    22,295
    Rep Power
    310

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    When I read your first post, it reminded me of that book in the link you just gave. I know I saved it as a page, but I have something like 10,000 (if not more), saved pages, so knew I'd never find it.

    Love that book. Wish I could copy/paste just one page from it.
    I have the basics of it (29 pages) on my computer.... but I have no idea how to send a WORD.DOCX file to you.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  9. #9
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,819
    Rep Power
    117

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    I have the basics of it (29 pages) on my computer.... but I have no idea how to send a WORD.DOCX file to you.
    Use FedEx or UPS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternally-Gratefull
    "The HS acts as a human spirit"
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmador
    "I can literally push God around."
    Quote Originally Posted by John146
    Nineveh's free will decision thwarted God's decision to destroy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternally-Gratefull
    God did not elect anyone and left everything to randomness

  10. #10
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    22,295
    Rep Power
    310

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    Use FedEx or UPS...
    A thumb drive containing the file gets mailed shortly after I cash your check covering the costs for the drive and postage.
    SovereignGrace likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,469
    Rep Power
    157

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    It's a cute book... I like the illustrations because they show the fallacy in simple terms. There are several decent websites explaining fallacies... but I will leave you all to do your own googling.
    Willie-T likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,927
    Rep Power
    194

    Default Re: Found an old book.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    It's a cute book... I like the illustrations because they show the fallacy in simple terms. There are several decent websites explaining fallacies... but I will leave you all to do your own googling.
    True story:

    In a lecture from an atheist scholar on all the things wrong with Christian apologetics, the professor actually FABRICATED, from THIN AIR, a bunch of brand new logical fallacies, which, by the way, were entirely illogical.

    And then, armed with his newly invented logical fallacies (which were quite illogical) the professor went on to "prove" all the Christian arguments for God were wrong.


    I was in awe.


    It was like making a tape measure with giant foot markings, then measuring me, and saying "Wow, you're only 3 feet tall."


    That guy could run for any political office in the land, lol.
    Last edited by maxwel; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:14 PM.
    Willie-T and Dino246 like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Furtick Cultic Coloring Book: Elevation Church's Cult Like Coloring Book
    By 1still_waters in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: February 24th, 2014, 12:43 AM
  2. Book of Enoch and Book of Jubilees
    By Miss in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: February 16th, 2014, 11:31 AM
  3. Your Book of Love or Your Book of Substitutes
    By Descyple in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: November 10th, 2013, 08:11 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 10th, 2013, 08:38 AM
  5. Favorite Book and Book Review Section
    By HeIsNowHere in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 25th, 2011, 01:50 AM