Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree43Likes

Suggestions

Have a suggestion for Christian Chat .com? Post it here!

Thread: Age of New People

  1. #1
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    5,601
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Age of New People

    I've noticed that when a new person registers and starts posting, their age isn't
    shown straight away. I'm not sure at what point it starts to show up but could
    this be fixed?

    Several times I've seen a new person post something which might be a bit
    controversial or ask a seemingly obvious question. People pile into them, then later when
    their age starts to show up, it is realised they are only young.

    The age of a person makes a differnce in how to reply to them.
    He is God and
    we are not.

  2. #2
    Senior Member resurrection33's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,600
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    I've noticed that when a new person registers and starts posting, their age isn't
    shown straight away. I'm not sure at what point it starts to show up but could
    this be fixed?

    Several times I've seen a new person post something which might be a bit
    controversial or ask a seemingly obvious question. People pile into them, then later when
    their age starts to show up, it is realised they are only young.

    The age of a person makes a differnce in how to reply to them.
    I didn't realize it worked that way. I thought it was up to people whether or not their age was shown. It is helpful to know how old someone is.
    _________________
    __________________________

    Pray constantly. 1 Thess 5:17 RSV

  3. #3
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,672
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Age of New People

    It is helpful to know how old someone is.

    However, in the past, we've had numerous adults banned for pretending to be teens.


    We still have some adults pretending to be teens.





    Therefore... I just talk to everyone the same around here.

  4. #4
    jennymae
    Guest

    Default Re: Age of New People

    I thought some folks just knew how to hide their age.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2013
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,213
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Age of New People

    I have to admit...sometimes I wish I could change my age to 30 lol.
    To God be the Glory

  6. #6
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,555
    Rep Power
    161

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Well, I'm actually 17, but I just flipped my age, and call myself 71. Y'all believe that, right?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  7. #7
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    13,960
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    183

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    I've noticed that when a new person registers and starts posting, their age isn't
    shown straight away. I'm not sure at what point it starts to show up but could
    this be fixed?

    Several times I've seen a new person post something which might be a bit
    controversial or ask a seemingly obvious question. People pile into them, then later when
    their age starts to show up, it is realised they are only young.

    The age of a person makes a differnce in how to reply to them.
    I didn't know that there is an option to hide your age. I agree with what you have said, age makes a big difference in how to respond to a post. The age thing might be a quirk in the system.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Miri's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    5,601
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by tourist View Post
    I didn't know that there is an option to hide your age. I agree with what you have said, age makes a big difference in how to respond to a post. The age thing might be a quirk in the system.
    I don't think there is an option to hide age, but I think it only shows up
    after a certain number of posts. Or it seems that way.
    He is God and
    we are not.

  9. #9
    Senior Member wwjd_kilden's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    34,362
    Rep Power
    113

    Default Re: Age of New People

    maybe it's a glitch?

    My profile has two options for age
    - display only age
    - display age and date of birth

    so it seems strange if people can hide their age
    Willie-T likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    13,960
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    183

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    I don't think there is an option to hide age, but I think it only shows up
    after a certain number of posts. Or it seems that way.
    I believe one way this happens is that the new user simply does not put in the date of their birth. This might be optional. I don't see how it is possible to change this date or turn off this option once the date is put in and the change is saved. You could be right too amount it appearing after a certain number of posts.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  11. #11
    Ultimatum77
    Guest

    Default Re: Age of New People

    I'm actually a highly sophisticated computer savvy 6yo who is 2 decades older on his profile......
    wwjd_kilden likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member resurrection33's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,600
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Well, I'm actually 17, but I just flipped my age, and call myself 71. Y'all believe that, right?
    You don't really look 71.
    Stranger36147 likes this.
    _________________
    __________________________

    Pray constantly. 1 Thess 5:17 RSV

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,317
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    48

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    It is helpful to know how old someone is.

    However, in the past, we've had numerous adults banned for pretending to be teens.


    We still have some adults pretending to be teens.





    Therefore... I just talk to everyone the same around here.
    Some of the teens are remarkably keen and some of the older elder members are out of reach,remarkably set In their ways.
    blue_ladybug likes this.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  14. #14
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,672
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by seed_time_harvest View Post
    Some of the teens are remarkably keen and some of the older elder members are out of reach,remarkably set In their ways.
    We were talking about the veracity of people's age... not how well we get along with them.


    1. Being "set in your ways" is usually an indicator someone IS older.

    So although we may dislike this quality, it's probably good evidence that someone who claims to be "older" is actually older.

    2. Being "remarkably keen", as a teen, may mean the teen is not a teen at all... if we're choosing NOT to define keen as raw intelligence, but rather as "deep wisdom and life experience."

    - Teens simply don't have much life experience.
    - They therefore are incapable of comparing and contrasting those MISSING experiences into some great depth of wisdom like a 100-year-old sage.
    - Teens also use different words, phrases, and in general just don't talk about certain things.

    This stuff isn't hard to figure out.
    It's not rocket science.
    Angela53510 and oldethennew like this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,672
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Age of New People

    More...

    Since this isn't a dating site, it isn't critical that everyone's stated age is exactly precise.
    In fact, I'd recommend that when people are online, they at least use a fictitious day/month on their birthday, for basic security.

    However, since we have a Teen Forum, and teens are underage people who need to be protected, we should always be aware of adults who might be posing as teens.
    blue_ladybug and oldethennew like this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    51,833
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    214

    Default Re: Age of New People

    I disagree somewhat with your statement that teens simply don't have enough life experiences. Cases in point: TemporaryCircumstances, Demi777, Dorothy13.. They've all had to deal with things that no kid should have to deal with.. So they DO have life experience. As for comparing and contrasting experience into depth of wisdom, I'd have to say the 3 young ladies I mentioned are chock full of wisdom. Just because they aren't adults, doesn't mean they aren't wise..



    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post


    1. Being "set in your ways" is usually an indicator someone IS older.

    So although we may dislike this quality, it's probably good evidence that someone who claims to be "older" is actually older.

    2. Being "remarkably keen", as a teen, may mean the teen is not a teen at all... if we're choosing NOT to define keen as raw intelligence, but rather as "deep wisdom and life experience."

    - Teens simply don't have much life experience.
    - They therefore are incapable of comparing and contrasting those MISSING experiences into some great depth of wisdom like a 100-year-old sage.
    - Teens also use different words, phrases, and in general just don't talk about certain things.

    This stuff isn't hard to figure out.
    It's not rocket science.
    resurrection33 likes this.





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    LOL.. I'll use that defense the next time I get accused of something.. lol


    To read my cancer, depression, physical pain & suicide testimonies, go to the Blog tab in my profile.



  17. #17
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,672
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Age of New People

    I disagree somewhat with your statement that teens simply don't have enough life experiences. Cases in point: TemporaryCircumstances, Demi777, Dorothy13.. They've all had to deal with things that no kid should have to deal with.. So they DO have life experience. As for comparing and contrasting experience into depth of wisdom, I'd have to say the 3 young ladies I mentioned are chock full of wisdom. Just because they aren't adults, doesn't mean they aren't wise..


    Blue,

    I think you're a great Christian lady, and I know you have a good heart, and you genuinely care about others.
    So, I'm going to point out something contradictory, but it isn't because I don't like or respect you.

    You're using a bit of "circular reasoning" here.

    You are starting by ASSUMING that everyone who claims to be a teen really is...
    and THEN you're RELYING on these ASSUMPTIONS (people) to prove your point.


    This is circular reasoning.

    You've never met those people in person.

    You've never even done a video chat with them on skype, to take a look at them.

    You actually don't know anything about them, except what they write in a forum.

    You cannot use these 3 people to prove teens are wise,
    if you have no way to verify if those 3 people are even teens.

    This is circular reasoning.



    Past Reality at CC

    My whole post was to suggest we NOT use circular reasoning.
    If someone claims to be a teen, and doesn't in any way sound like a teen...
    perhaps the person isn't really a teen.
    Who knows?
    In the past, we HAVE had adults here posing as teens.
    It's ok to be skeptical...
    especially if it's someone that no one has ever seen.

    In the past, the admins at CC HAVE found adults posing as teens.
    I'm only suggesting we be AWARE this happens,
    and that we NOT use circular reasoning.

    If we relied only on circular reasoning,
    we would STILL have creepy pedo men lurking around the teen forum,
    instead of identifying them and removing them.
    In the past, the admins have sometimes identified both older men,
    and older women, posing as teens.
    It happens.

    It happens.
    I'm only suggesting we be aware it happens.
    Be aware it happens, and not use circular reasoning.
    Last edited by maxwel; January 18th, 2017 at 04:07 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,672
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Age of New People

    One more thing:


    I'm not mad at anyone.

    I'm not out to get anyone.

    I'm just suggesting we try to be a bit more logical.
    Angela53510 and blue_ladybug like this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    51,833
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    214

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Yes, but Maxwel, those who pose as teens, or even as the opposite gender, eventually give themselves away. Myself and certain others are very intuitive and can usually spot posers before very long. If I suspected in the least that one of those young ladies weren't who they claim to be, I'd report their butts right off. However, I HAVE seen Demi on camera in the chat rooms, as well as the other two also. So I'm 100% satisfied that they are who they claim to be.

    Oh and as far as the mods identifying posers, pedos and whoever, sometimes they catch them on their own. BUT sometimes WE have to tell them.

    I don't need to meet them in person. I've seen them on camera, and the faces (obviously) match up with the ones in their avatars. As far as if ALL the teens here are actually teens, probably not, but like I said, they slip up sooner or later.
    Miri likes this.





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    LOL.. I'll use that defense the next time I get accused of something.. lol


    To read my cancer, depression, physical pain & suicide testimonies, go to the Blog tab in my profile.



  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2014
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,835
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Age of New People

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    More...

    Since this isn't a dating site, it isn't critical that everyone's stated age is exactly precise.
    In fact, I'd recommend that when people are online, they at least use a fictitious day/month on their birthday, for basic security.

    However, since we have a Teen Forum, and teens are underage people who need to be protected, we should always be aware of adults who might be posing as teens.
    I understand the 'sentiment'; however, I strongly disagree - because of a "greater principle"...

    Whatever identifying characteristics are used on a site - they either need to be accurate and true - or, specifically noted in some way as 'undesignated'.

    False information is deceptive, and should not be encouraged or accepted.

    All the 'blanks' should be "filled out" honestly - or left blank.

    For a site like this one, I believe that 'gender' and 'age' are two things that should be mandatory "from day one"...

    SweetmorningDew78 likes this.
    Jesus Is Lord!
    'KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS'
    "Glory to God; NONE to Satan. Forever, and Ever, and Ever. Amen, and Amen, and Amen."


    * Olivet Discourse * Order Of Events * Second Coming *

    Awareness + Open Eyes + Common Sense + Discernment =>
    "The ability to step outside the MATRIX and see it for yourself..."

    Humility => Knowledge + Awareness + Discernment


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 11th, 2016, 08:30 AM
  2. People of Wal-Mart, Whats Wrong with People?!
    By kaylagrl in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: July 7th, 2015, 07:43 AM
  3. Shall good people go to Heaven while bad people go to hell?
    By Blackson in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: November 8th, 2013, 03:36 PM
  4. Israeli People to Iranian People: We Love You
    By Marcella in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 17th, 2012, 07:13 AM