Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
Like Tree81Likes

Suggestions

Have a suggestion for Christian Chat .com? Post it here!

Thread: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

  1. #1
    Senior Member EarnestQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    44

    Default PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Please make the post edit time at least four hours and preferably six. It often takes a hour of two for us to realize we made a mistake.

    Yes, I use the Preview Post a lot. But since humans are fundamentally imperfect, it sometimes takes more than 3 minutes to realize we made an error.
    wwjd_kilden likes this.
    The best way to help others understand and experience God's love better is to understand and experience it better yourself.

    Understanding and experiencing God's love better everyday is the most important task for anyone who considers him/herself to be a Christian.


    Love without truth is deception. Truth without love is arrogance. God's love and God's truth balanced is God's wisdom.

    The more one promotes himself and/or his ideas, the less he cares about eternal life for others.

  2. #2
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    52,908
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    233

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    That's why you MUST proof read BEFORE you click the "post quick reply" button. And proof read it more than once.
    Magenta likes this.





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    LOL.. I'll use that defense the next time I get accused of something.. lol


    To read my cancer, depression, physical pain & suicide testimonies, go to the Blog tab in my profile.



  3. #3
    Senior Member EarnestQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    That's why you MUST proof read BEFORE you click the "post quick reply" button. And proof read it more than once.


    I do. I do. I do. But I still often don't catch all of my mistakes. It takes me time away from the post for an hour or two before I can read it objectively.

    Besides, there is no reason not to extend the edit time to a few hours.
    OwzK likes this.
    The best way to help others understand and experience God's love better is to understand and experience it better yourself.

    Understanding and experiencing God's love better everyday is the most important task for anyone who considers him/herself to be a Christian.


    Love without truth is deception. Truth without love is arrogance. God's love and God's truth balanced is God's wisdom.

    The more one promotes himself and/or his ideas, the less he cares about eternal life for others.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,959
    Rep Power
    176

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    It ain't gonna happen. People have been pleading for this for years. They are totally ignored.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  5. #5
    Senior Member resurrection33's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    25,994
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    Please make the post edit time at least four hours and preferably six. It often takes a hour of two for us to realize we made a mistake.

    Yes, I use the Preview Post a lot. But since humans are fundamentally imperfect, it sometimes takes more than 3 minutes to realize we made an error.
    I know where you're coming from. Sometimes I make a mistake and don't realize it till I come back to the post later. However, people will reply to a post, and a person could come back and completely change what they said and make the reply look inappropriate.
    _________________
    __________________________

    Pray constantly. 1 Thess 5:17 RSV

  6. #6
    Idiot in Chief Oncefallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    4,239
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    I do. I do. I do. But I still often don't catch all of my mistakes. It takes me time away from the post for an hour or two before I can read it objectively.

    Besides, there is no reason not to extend the edit time to a few hours.
    Maybe not from where you sit, but from where I sit there is extremely good reason to keep edit time short.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    It ain't gonna happen. People have been pleading for this for years. They are totally ignored.
    Yes, people have been asking for it for years, but there is a big difference between ignoring and choosing to not make the suggested change.
    resurrection33, PennEd and Magenta like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2017
    Age
    53
    Posts
    489
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    OF is gettin loose. Lol.
    OwzK likes this.

  8. #8
    Idiot in Chief Oncefallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    4,239
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    I know where you're coming from. Sometimes I make a mistake and don't realize it till I come back to the post later. However, people will reply to a post, and a person could come back and completely change what they said and make the reply look inappropriate.
    This is the biggest reason for keeping edit time short.

    The way that vBulletin functions on my end, if a user deletes a post during the edit time, I can pull up the original post; if a user changes the content of the post, there is no way to retrieve the original.

    So, a troll comes in, posts something inflammatory, then changes the content of their post after a couple of replies (but before someone reports it) the person(s) who replied look like they were trolling instead of the real bad guy. Believe it or not, people actually do this sort of thing.

    Myself, as an Admin here, have the ability to edit my posts at any time but choose to limit my edits of my own posts to the same time as other users have just out of fairness.
    RickyZ, GaryA and Magenta like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Test_F_i_2_Luv's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,405
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    Please make the post edit time at least four hours and preferably six. It often takes a hour of two for us to realize we made a mistake.

    Yes, I use the Preview Post a lot. But since humans are fundamentally imperfect, it sometimes takes more than 3 minutes to realize we made an error.
    Do your posts on a word-processor program or as a draft email first.

    Review it...perhaps more than once and perhaps even over multiple days.

    That's how I often handle the more intense/important posts that I do.

    I wouldn't mind more time to edit/correct posts, but think I'd be content with 30 minutes.
    blue_ladybug and EarnestQ like this.
    Often neglected verses on tithing: "‘If, therefore, a man wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he shall add to it one-fifth of it. ‘For every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD. ‘He is not to be concerned whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; or if he does exchange it, then both it and its substitute shall become holy. It shall not be redeemed.’” -Lev 27:32-33.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,931
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    Please make the post edit time at least four hours and preferably six. It often takes a hour of two for us to realize we made a mistake.

    Yes, I use the Preview Post a lot. But since humans are fundamentally imperfect, it sometimes takes more than 3 minutes to realize we made an error.
    Admins have stated multiple times the edit period will NOT be changed. There ARE specific reasons why the 5 minute rule is in effect.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  11. #11
    Senior Member EarnestQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Test_F_i_2_Luv View Post
    Do your posts on a word-processor program or as a draft email first.

    Review it...perhaps more than once and perhaps even over multiple days.

    That's how I often handle the more intense/important posts that I do.

    I wouldn't mind more time to edit/correct posts, but think I'd be content with 30 minutes.


    I regularly do this with my longer posts. But even then I make mistakes that that I don't catch until later.
    The best way to help others understand and experience God's love better is to understand and experience it better yourself.

    Understanding and experiencing God's love better everyday is the most important task for anyone who considers him/herself to be a Christian.


    Love without truth is deception. Truth without love is arrogance. God's love and God's truth balanced is God's wisdom.

    The more one promotes himself and/or his ideas, the less he cares about eternal life for others.

  12. #12
    Senior Member EarnestQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oncefallen View Post
    This is the biggest reason for keeping edit time short.

    The way that vBulletin functions on my end, if a user deletes a post during the edit time, I can pull up the original post; if a user changes the content of the post, there is no way to retrieve the original.

    So, a troll comes in, posts something inflammatory, then changes the content of their post after a couple of replies (but before someone reports it) the person(s) who replied look like they were trolling instead of the real bad guy. Believe it or not, people actually do this sort of thing.

    Myself, as an Admin here, have the ability to edit my posts at any time but choose to limit my edits of my own posts to the same time as other users have just out of fairness.

    Thank you for the explanation. I think an hour edit time would still be reasonable.

    Why not try it for a month and see if there are many complications from it?
    Willie-T likes this.
    The best way to help others understand and experience God's love better is to understand and experience it better yourself.

    Understanding and experiencing God's love better everyday is the most important task for anyone who considers him/herself to be a Christian.


    Love without truth is deception. Truth without love is arrogance. God's love and God's truth balanced is God's wisdom.

    The more one promotes himself and/or his ideas, the less he cares about eternal life for others.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,883
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oncefallen View Post

    So, a troll comes in, posts something inflammatory, then changes the content of their post after a couple of replies (but before someone reports it) the person(s) who replied look like they were trolling instead of the real bad guy. Believe it or not, people actually do this sort of thing.
    That is actually precisely why I got in the habit of hitting "quote" when I reply to somebody else's post. Many forums do not have an edit time limit, but if the post I am replying to is saved as a quote in my post then the person to whom I'm replying can't edit what I'm replying to. He can change his post but the original will still be saved in my post.
    "Do you sing at church?"
    "Yes I sing at church. And I sing at work. And I sing at home... and in the car... at the supermarket... at Wal-Mart..."

  14. #14
    Senior Member EarnestQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    That is actually precisely why I got in the habit of hitting "quote" when I reply to somebody else's post. Many forums do not have an edit time limit, but if the post I am replying to is saved as a quote in my post then the person to whom I'm replying can't edit what I'm replying to. He can change his post but the original will still be saved in my post.
    I should think this should be sufficient to avoid the problem of a troll changing his post.

    If that is the only reason for the short edit time, why not give a two hour edit time trial for a month and see if it causes any serious problems.

    I suspect that the number of people who are inconvenienced by the short edit time is far greater than the people who would be inconvenienced by a troll changing their post.
    The best way to help others understand and experience God's love better is to understand and experience it better yourself.

    Understanding and experiencing God's love better everyday is the most important task for anyone who considers him/herself to be a Christian.


    Love without truth is deception. Truth without love is arrogance. God's love and God's truth balanced is God's wisdom.

    The more one promotes himself and/or his ideas, the less he cares about eternal life for others.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Test_F_i_2_Luv's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,405
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    I regularly do this with my longer posts. But even then I make mistakes that that I don't catch until later.
    Then there is no hope.
    blue_ladybug likes this.
    Often neglected verses on tithing: "‘If, therefore, a man wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he shall add to it one-fifth of it. ‘For every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD. ‘He is not to be concerned whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; or if he does exchange it, then both it and its substitute shall become holy. It shall not be redeemed.’” -Lev 27:32-33.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,959
    Rep Power
    176

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    I should think this should be sufficient to avoid the problem of a troll changing his post.

    If that is the only reason for the short edit time, why not give a two hour edit time trial for a month and see if it causes any serious problems.

    I suspect that the number of people who are inconvenienced by the short edit time is far greater than the people who would be inconvenienced by a troll changing their post.
    Yes. And the thing is that extending the edit time really has little to do with someone deleting their post, whatsoever.

    Many, many posts take three or four minutes to read. That means that by the time the very first person reads it (assuming they started reading the absolute instant it was posted.... which almost never happens) there is only a minute, or so, left to do any editing if that reader noticed anything wrong.... such as leaving one word (like.... a "NOT") out of a sentence, giving just the opposite meaning of that which was intended.

    And if I see something odd like that in someone's post, I almost always go back and re-read their post a second time. (eating up another few minutes) After doing all this... if we are lucky, the original poster MAY have five or six seconds left to reopen their post, hit edit, read enough to find what word might have been left out, and then correct it.

    Ain't no way it's gonna happen in five (5) tiny minutes. The post now remains there forever stating just the opposite of what the OP intended it to say, and everyone who reads it thereafter, thinks the poster must be schizophrenic, and they spend 15 or 20 more posts asking him what in the world he is thinking, saying such a crazy thing.
    EarnestQ and OwzK like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    13,908
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    243

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Fours hours of edit time is INSANE. A whole thread can happen in that time. If you know you are prone to making such huge errors you need to take responsibility for being more careful.
    resurrection33 and OwzK like this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,931
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarnestQ View Post
    I should think this should be sufficient to avoid the problem of a troll changing his post.

    If that is the only reason for the short edit time, why not give a two hour edit time trial for a month and see if it causes any serious problems.

    I suspect that the number of people who are inconvenienced by the short edit time is far greater than the people who would be inconvenienced by a troll changing their post.
    This site is roughly 15 years old. Everything they have set in place now has been decided on from years if experimentation. It Has been tried and that is Why 5 minutes is in place.
    resurrection33 likes this.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  19. #19
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,959
    Rep Power
    176

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    Fours hours of edit time is INSANE. A whole thread can happen in that time. If you know you are prone to making such huge errors you need to take responsibility for being more careful.
    "Fours more"????? If this had been an important post, don't you wish you had a bit more time to go correct it?

    I'm sending this to you quickly, so that you just might have a chance to do that.
    blue_ladybug and OwzK like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  20. #20
    Senior Member PennEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2013
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,516
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    122

    Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

    I understand admins position, but I have to say, I don't think adding 5 or 10 minutes to the existing 5 minutes would have much of a detrimental effect, and it would give a LITTLE more time to make a correction.

    Numerous times I just couldn't make the changes I wanted in the allotted time. This is especially true with using a smartphone instead of a computer. Between the autocorrect feature on the phone messing with you, and the small screen and typing, mistakes happen a lot and are tough to fix in time.

    Maybe admin could just add a couple of minutes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Extend Edit Time to 10 minutes
    By Atwood in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 27th, 2014, 09:51 AM
  2. Edit Time.
    By Kefa52 in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 23rd, 2013, 03:39 AM
  3. It's The Edit-Your-Post-And-Give-A-Reason-For-The-Edit Thread.
    By seoulsearch in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: April 25th, 2013, 11:22 PM
  4. edit time ran out
    By seed_time_harvest in forum User2User Tech Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
  5. Longer Post Edit Time-- PLease!
    By GloryBe in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: July 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM