Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
Like Tree82Likes

Suggestions

Have a suggestion for Christian Chat .com? Post it here!

Thread: Mental illness

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 20th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Mental illness

    Would be nice to have a forum regarding mental illness as mental illness in the church in general is a really huge topic of discussion..and there are many christians who are either caring for someone with mental illness or are they themselves battling with mental illness in one way or another.It can pay havoc on ones faith and perspective on life,and having a forum that caters for this would be a good thing

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    41
    Posts
    18,600
    Rep Power
    138

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Been suggested. Yet to see it.
    It would almost be dangerous. Many on this site have detrimental attitudes towards people with mental illness. The outdated, religious attitudes are sad.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  3. #3
    Senior Member student's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Mental illness

    There are groups for mental illness...hard to maintain as people - err, at least I , forget to dig into them. 1 in 4 people has a mental illness. I'm one in four. Wiser today than on the day of diagnosis. Praise God for that. -student

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 20th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    Been suggested. Yet to see it.
    It would almost be dangerous. Many on this site have detrimental attitudes towards people with mental illness. The outdated, religious attitudes are sad.

    Yes I know what you mean..maybe it could just be a kind of mental health support group that one could join.I have suffered mental illness myself as a christian many years ago and god healed my mind and emotions and at the time I was a christian.It is a part of life and those who have the wrong view on this subject need to be educated.
    Maybe they will set up o group one day!
    Rosemaryx and Jessie_1 like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 20th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    There are groups for mental illness...hard to maintain as people - err, at least I , forget to dig into them. 1 in 4 people has a mental illness. I'm one in four. Wiser today than on the day of diagnosis. Praise God for that. -student


    Praise god that you are wiser now.That's great news..and I guess we would be surprised just how many people have mental health issues in one way or another.May god allow C.C to embrace this issues!
    Rosemaryx and Jessie_1 like this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2017
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Lightbulb Re: Mental illness

    I totally agree with u. A lot of people don't take mental illness seriously enough! I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I currently don't work and not sure if I ever will again. It's hard to make it through some days even though I have family and friends who support me.
    jenniferand2, Stewart and Jessie_1 like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member student's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar30 View Post
    I totally agree with u. A lot of people don't take mental illness seriously enough! I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I currently don't work and not sure if I ever will again. It's hard to make it through some days even though I have family and friends who support me.
    God heals. I pray you develop your relationship with Him to such a great extent. I also, have suffered from the same maladies and more. I'm off medication now. That's just me...I'm neither bragging, nor recommending it to anyone. 30 years of chasing the same nightmare away...I finally decided to stand on the cornerstone. I tried to help others...it did help me, but it didn't heal the broken places. So, I"m standing there...with God behind and God before me...allowing Him to guide me to the next step...the next building block to build this house.

    Off the meds, I cry alot more often...I have to hide it. It probably shows more than I want to know. PTSD...rape as a child from pedophiles who only opened a door to hell on earth. I've lost much...I rely on God to restore to me the things Satan has stolen. It is His promise to do so...and it will be. In His time, HIs way...I trust Him to do what is right.

    If I can do anything for you...help in any manner...I will.

    First and foremost...in spirit I stand beside you...reach over and grab your hand...and look into your eyes...
    and pray, 'Dear Father, I lift up Superstar to you...with all the brokenness and sorrow in his/her life. I pray you hold this child of yours and open doors to heal this lovely creation of yours. Show him/her how very much you love your child and sing to them the songs of love you have so long waited to share. Loneliness is often the best way to heal a broken heart, because it is then that we get close to you. Narrow the chasm. All the support on earth can do nothing without you in the midst. I pray these things for Superstar...in Jesus' precious name. Amen. -student

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 20th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Mental illness

    [QUOTE=Superstar30;3201014]I totally agree with u. A lot of people don't take mental illness seriously enough! I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I currently don't work and not sure if I ever will again. It's hard to make it through some days even though I have family and friends who support me.[/QUOTE


    Wow!!thats incredible...yes mental illness can create so much inner pressure emotional/psychological as well as even distorting ones perception of reality..ie paranoia ect that just to make it through ONE single day can be real tough.

    I praise god for your life
    student and Jessie_1 like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 20th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    534
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    God heals. I pray you develop your relationship with Him to such a great extent. I also, have suffered from the same maladies and more. I'm off medication now. That's just me...I'm neither bragging, nor recommending it to anyone. 30 years of chasing the same nightmare away...I finally decided to stand on the cornerstone. I tried to help others...it did help me, but it didn't heal the broken places. So, I"m standing there...with God behind and God before me...allowing Him to guide me to the next step...the next building block to build this house.

    Off the meds, I cry alot more often...I have to hide it. It probably shows more than I want to know. PTSD...rape as a child from pedophiles who only opened a door to hell on earth. I've lost much...I rely on God to restore to me the things Satan has stolen. It is His promise to do so...and it will be. In His time, HIs way...I trust Him to do what is right.

    If I can do anything for you...help in any manner...I will.

    First and foremost...in spirit I stand beside you...reach over and grab your hand...and look into your eyes...
    and pray, 'Dear Father, I lift up Superstar to you...with all the brokenness and sorrow in his/her life. I pray you hold this child of yours and open doors to heal this lovely creation of yours. Show him/her how very much you love your child and sing to them the songs of love you have so long waited to share. Loneliness is often the best way to heal a broken heart, because it is then that we get close to you. Narrow the chasm. All the support on earth can do nothing without you in the midst. I pray these things for Superstar...in Jesus' precious name. Amen. -student


    Amen bro....and may god complete the work he has started in your life in Jesus name.May he heal all the inner brokenness
    Jessie_1 and Superstar30 like this.

  10. #10
    Jessie_1
    Guest

    Default Re: Mental illness



    Amen to this!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    41
    Posts
    18,600
    Rep Power
    138

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Yes I know what you mean..maybe it could just be a kind of mental health support group that one could join.I have suffered mental illness myself as a christian many years ago and god healed my mind and emotions and at the time I was a christian.It is a part of life and those who have the wrong view on this subject need to be educated.
    Maybe they will set up o group one day!
    You can create private groups. But they rarely stay active long. Making a public site would simply invite too many people with wrong attitudes to condemn. I've seen many threads of people with various mental illnesses and there's always a few spouting ignorance and condemnation. And there's no way to prevent it. While I think it's a good idea to have one there is no practical way to make a public one. Perhaps try starting a private group.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,517
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    Been suggested. Yet to see it.
    It would almost be dangerous. Many on this site have detrimental attitudes towards people with mental illness. The outdated, religious attitudes are sad.
    I think you will find that some mental illness is a medical issue and some results from lifestyle decisions. Popping people full of happy pills to make them feel better can be dangerous.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2017
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Wow! Thank u very much! I'm so sorry to hear that u had to go through all that sexual abuse. What u typed brought tears to my eyes. I have a lot of faith in God to get me through all the hard times in my life. I feel like I'm always going to need pills to deal with all my issues. Blah 2 that! :-( It really helps having someone to talk to that can relate to me.
    student likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    41
    Posts
    18,600
    Rep Power
    138

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    I think you will find that some mental illness is a medical issue and some results from lifestyle decisions. Popping people full of happy pills to make them feel better can be dangerous.
    Who said anything about medication? Having a group of people with similar issues coming together to vent and take has nothing to do with "popping people full of happy pills".
    student, Mooky and Rosemaryx like this.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,517
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
    Who said anything about medication? Having a group of people with similar issues coming together to vent and take has nothing to do with "popping people full of happy pills".
    No, but I do think a lot of mental illness is the result of bad lifestyle decisions.

  16. #16
    Senior Member student's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    No, but I do think a lot of mental illness is the result of bad lifestyle decisions.
    Possibly, but usually those lifestyle changes come from traumatic events...turning to something to numb the pain. I made a 'lifestyle' change at 5. I knew God and pushed Him away. Not at all because I was angry with Him.... even children make painful mistakes that change their lives forever. There's a broad spectrum of rights and wrongs in the 'pill poppin' dilemma. Many times those pills save lives long enough to allow God to work...to allow someone to help. And sometimes they make someone 'well enough' to carry out suicide, something they were too depressed to do a few weeks earlier. God's in control...at work when we dont see it. Prayer is the greatest medicine beyond faith.
    Rosemaryx likes this.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,517
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Possibly, but usually those lifestyle changes come from traumatic events...turning to something to numb the pain. I made a 'lifestyle' change at 5. I knew God and pushed Him away. Not at all because I was angry with Him.... even children make painful mistakes that change their lives forever. There's a broad spectrum of rights and wrongs in the 'pill poppin' dilemma. Many times those pills save lives long enough to allow God to work...to allow someone to help. And sometimes they make someone 'well enough' to carry out suicide, something they were too depressed to do a few weeks earlier. God's in control...at work when we dont see it. Prayer is the greatest medicine beyond faith.
    When I say "bad lifestyle decisions," I am referring to things like immoral sexual behavior and alcohol and substance abuse.
    student likes this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member student's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    When I say "bad lifestyle decisions," I am referring to things like immoral sexual behavior and alcohol and substance abuse.
    I knew that. I pushed God away...not just the love...but also the commandments, the Holy Spirit, the sanctity of faith until I could not stand my life anymore. Then I tried to die...and God pulled me back...through the commandments, into the sanctity of faith with the Holy SPirit. In the meantime, I felt hated and loathed by people who seemed to condemn.

    In my lifetime, I committed many wrongs. And failed to learn many things...even forgetting that I pushed God out of the picture for a reason. It was indeed absurd. I was so hurt.

    I did something right once and was complimented on it. Almost immediately, I did it over again, this time the wrong way on purpose. I loathed compliments and praise...and refused anything resembling pride...at least pride in what's right.

    Seeds are planted in children...small and older...weed seeds and good seeds.

    Wrong choices come from decisions to water the seeds...whether good seeds or weed seeds...that is our choice in life.
    I was not too wise at 5...and yet I knew God..so I was not ignorant either.

    I hate this part...but to be honest, to be true...I was the immoral substance abuser.
    I am in God's world today.
    I chew nicotine replacement gum and eat too much sugary stuff.

    Still a work in progress. God loves me...tears..and I'm very thankful. Somedays I wonder if anyone else ever will.

    Other days I wonder if anyone understands anything at all.
    I'm late...for church again.
    Love always...-student

  19. #19
    Senior Member student's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Mental illness

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    When I say "bad lifestyle decisions," I am referring to things like immoral sexual behavior and alcohol and substance abuse.
    Thanks for understanding
    =student
    resurrection33 likes this.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mental illness

    hi there student if anybody can understand that part of the immoral substance abuser I sure can I lost my husband of 26y he was minster of music/word and I ran from GOD and every thing I knew and walked into the world of addiction by one choice I made that all most took my life I liad 2 years ago on life support fighting for my life due to overdose but my parents who were pastors stood on gods word and never doughted I would live and 14 days later I woke up with no affects I told my parents I had enough I went to a program through the Pentecostal assembly of god called teen,adlut challenge that's were god transformed my life now I'm interning to work with addicted people
    mar09 and Rosemaryx like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mental illness
    By seraphprincess in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: December 12th, 2015, 08:28 PM
  2. Mental Illness
    By Kefa54 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 20th, 2015, 06:44 PM
  3. Sin is a mental illness
    By AnandaHya in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: January 27th, 2015, 01:03 PM
  4. My Mental Illness
    By mrsouthside in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: June 26th, 2014, 06:42 PM
  5. Mental Illness
    By ThriftShopPop in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 15th, 2013, 01:44 AM