Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 68
Like Tree119Likes

Suggestions

Have a suggestion for Christian Chat .com? Post it here!

Thread: The ignore function

  1. #21
    Senior Member Prov910's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2017
    Age
    56
    Posts
    880
    Rep Power
    49

    Default Re: The ignore function

    People get put on ignore by others for what they say. But it's not only the "trolls" who say offensive, sinful things on CC.

    There's something about anonymous posting on the Internet that causes people to say things they wouldn't say in a face-to-face conversation. This is especially true of the ministers, ex-ministers and clergymen on this site. I mean, when is the last time you heard your pastor call someone a heretic? Or heard them respond to a parishioner's earnest questions with, "That's blasphemy!" These are things you see nearly every day on CC. Because it's anonymous. On the Internet.
    ================================================== ===========
    10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding. Prov. 9:10

  2. #22
    heartofdavid
    Guest

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    It will always be a sieve, not a wall, but ya gotta do sumptin' right?
    Ignore function is awesome.

    Glad it is available.

    There are 2 basic types of people
    Nurtures and poisonous

    You can still love them and ignore their nastyness

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,707
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by Prov910 View Post
    People get put on ignore by others for what they say. But it's not only the "trolls" who say offensive, sinful things on CC.

    There's something about anonymous posting on the Internet that causes people to say things they wouldn't say in a face-to-face conversation. This is especially true of the ministers, ex-ministers and clergymen on this site. I mean, when is the last time you heard your pastor call someone a heretic? Or heard them respond to a parishioner's earnest questions with, "That's blasphemy!" These are things you see nearly every day on CC. Because it's anonymous. On the Internet.
    The very Anonymity the internet affords these people allows them to show their true inner nasty selves.. But when it is face to face they are all peaches and cream because they put forward their well cultured and practiced fake image..
    Prov910 likes this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,514
    Rep Power
    148

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    The very Anonymity the internet affords these people allows them to show their true inner nasty selves.. But when it is face to face they are all peaches and cream because they put forward their well cultured and practiced fake image..
    I'm the same way in real life.
    Prov910 likes this.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,864
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    96

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    It will always be a sieve, not a wall, but ya gotta do sumptin' right?
    Use self controll,remember the standard Is set on low.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  6. #26
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    63
    Posts
    20,654
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    486

    Default Re: The ignore function

    I have never put anyone on 'ignore' and don't intend to do so. However, occasionally I will put a member on 'Eeyore' but that's not the same as 'ignore'.
    Chester likes this.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    20,060
    Rep Power
    238

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Again. If someone wants to read your post all they have to do is not log in and read the forums. So what is the point of making it so people can't read your posts if they still can read them? Pointless feature.
    And this "I should have the right to block them" thinking? Well, if you're that interested in controlling who can and can't hear what you say A) you have control issues, get some help and B) you probably shouldn't be posting on the internet.
    tourist likes this.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  8. #28
    Senior Member RickyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2012
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,083
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: The ignore function

    I'm tired of the arguing. I'm tired of the unprovoked personal attacks. If I know certain people are going to respond to my posts with personal attacks and argument just for the sake of argument, I should have the option to keep the peace by not letting them see it. But, I realize that I am in the minority, that argument and personal attack are necessary staples of interaction for many here. So, you keep on bickering amongst yourselves as you evidently love to do, I'm going to find more peaceful pastures.
    7seasrekeyed and Speak2Me like this.

    Truth is available only to those who have the courage to question whatever they think they know.

    It's hard to learn anything when you always feel the need to be the expert.

    Mark 7:34 “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.”

  9. #29
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,570
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    I'm tired of the arguing. I'm tired of the unprovoked personal attacks. If I know certain people are going to respond to my posts with personal attacks and argument just for the sake of argument, I should have the option to keep the peace by not letting them see it. But, I realize that I am in the minority, that argument and personal attack are necessary staples of interaction for many here. So, you keep on bickering amongst yourselves as you evidently love to do, I'm going to find more peaceful pastures.
    that's what happens. and the bullies continue.

    about half a dozen people on here are bullies...and I don't know how they get away with it as I'm pretty sure the TOS do not allow for it..the funny thing is, at least 2 of them always appear in threads that condemn the name calling and bickering and yet the 2 of them are experts at that very thing. maybe they think they are hiding in plain sight?

    it speaks more to their immaturity and weakness than anything else IMO, but makes you wonder if they come here to blow off steam since they can hardly do it at church.

    I hope you don't go...you are reasonable and polite. most Christian forums will have the bickering but not the name calling
    kaylagrl likes this.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    63
    Posts
    21,854
    Rep Power
    611

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Ricky, the thing is, and the mod has confirmed, that none of us has the right to say that another cannot read or respond to our posts. That leaves the onus squarely on you. If you do not want to see what a particular person says, then it is up to you to put them on ignore, not peek at their posts, and pay attention when you are aware that person is posting in threads you are in, so that you do not inadvertently read the other person's messages if and when they have been quoted by others.
    Tommy379 likes this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  11. #31
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,514
    Rep Power
    148

    Default Re: The ignore function

    When did argument become a bad thing?
    preacher4truth likes this.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  12. #32
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,914
    Rep Power
    239

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    I'm tired of the arguing. I'm tired of the unprovoked personal attacks. If I know certain people are going to respond to my posts with personal attacks and argument just for the sake of argument, I should have the option to keep the peace by not letting them see it. But, I realize that I am in the minority, that argument and personal attack are necessary staples of interaction for many here. So, you keep on bickering amongst yourselves as you evidently love to do, I'm going to find more peaceful pastures.

    There's been "arguing" within the church since its inception. Everyone wants to be "like the early church" as if it were pure and without controversy, without arguing, without exposing the false in a polemic fashion, and/or without heresy. Much of the epistles are arguments against false teachings, with naming names, and calling names.

    Thank God for men like that then who stood up, and for men who do it today as well.

    I think if we spend some time actually reading Scriptural accounts, instead of offering up sentimental, disingenuous "arguments" that paint a false narrative contrary to the reality we'd be better off. No offense intended but let's man up, end the nonsense and false narratives, and mostly the whimpering and pointing fingers at others as if we are pure, and since they "argue" they are "bad."

    Certainly all false teachers and doctrinally unsound persons believe they are "attacked" "unprovoked."
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    Open Theism and Molinism, two inept theological camps, do err in this sense; God doesn't have an R&D department, He does all things perfectly.

    A god who can be fashioned by our own thoughts is no more a god than an image produced by our own hands. - Charles Spurgeon


  13. #33
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,914
    Rep Power
    239

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy379 View Post
    When did argument become a bad thing?
    Ever since someone came up with a domesticated and emasculated version of the God of Scripture, and a truncated Gospel.
    Tommy379 likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    Open Theism and Molinism, two inept theological camps, do err in this sense; God doesn't have an R&D department, He does all things perfectly.

    A god who can be fashioned by our own thoughts is no more a god than an image produced by our own hands. - Charles Spurgeon


  14. #34
    Senior Member Ralph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 10th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,952
    Rep Power
    31

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    There's been "arguing" within the church since its inception. Everyone wants to be "like the early church" as if it were pure and without controversy, without arguing
    I want the church to be like the early church because it was good for believers despite all the wranglings and problems they had like we do now. Now we just have all the wranglings.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Everyone wants to be like the early Church,and they would have problems,but at least it was not to the degree of problems that it is today,so people might not be saying the early Church is perfect,but they were a whole lot better than the condition of many today.

    Many would also like to go back years ago when America was more moral,and decent,than the condition of many today.

    Many marriages that fell apart would like to go back to when they got along great.

    Many people would like to go back when it was a better time.

    So people would like to go back to the early Church because the condition was not so bad as it is today,not oh that early Church was not so special.

    But the thing is who does anything about being like the early Church,for if it is the early Church they would of surely cared about each other more,loved each other more,helped the poor out more,would of not had as many disagreements over the Bible,and not as much hypocrisy.

    Which Jesus only had one thing against them in the first Church,they left their first love,and to repent,but then it gets worse from there until the sixth Church where Jesus did not point out a fault.

    And then the seventh Church where they are lukewarm,neither hot or cold,and say they are rich,and increased with goods,and have need of nothing,but are in bad shape,which we see going on today,which God tells us of the last generation before God puts down the world,that they will be pure in their own eyes,but not washed away from their filthiness.

    Where the early Church had all things common,and shared,and sold all their things that were not a necessity,and distributed to those that had need,but how much of that goes on today.

    So many would like to go back to the early Church ways,where they loved each other more,cared for each other more,they only went by their needs,and not their wants,and the poor were getting fed,and clothed,to a great degree.

    But how many do anything to be like the early Church,especially in the department of they shared everything,and sold all their things that were not a necessity,and distributed to the poor saints,and only went by their needs.

  16. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2017
    Age
    48
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    A lot of the time (I believe) one person puts another on ignore because they just have bad chemistry, and that fosters animosity and arguing here in these pages. Since this is a 2-way street, if I know someone is just going to off on my posts for no other reason than I wrote it, I should be able in the interests of peace say I don't want that person reading my stuff. It keeps them from having that anger response, which really needs to be tamed down here. Like 7 seas exampled and Magenta said, why subject yourself (and others) to such a spirit?

    And is it really fair to allow them to continue responding to something I've indicated that I don't want to discuss with them?

    Yes seed time it is hard not to peek, isn't it? lol. So maybe the ignore should have an option to just remove all their posts from your feed. Instead of saying 'oh there's something here but you're gonna have to break your will to ignore to see it'. Lead us not into temptation, right ?

    If you ignore someone, they don't know; If I chose to block you from seeing my posts, of course you would know (response to BillG). And yes preacher I can see yours, but I can't see Tommys. Oops now Tommy knows.

    And wife is the very definition of 'one you can't ignore'

    I guess I could always just ask someone to put me on ignore, but I doubt Depleted or Roger would honor that request.

    Anyway, it was just a thought. If you know someone will instinctively respond aggressively to your thoughts, you should be able to keep them from hearing them. It would help keep the aggression down in these pages and keep such spirits at bay.
    They won't let such an idea happen even if the software allowed it.

    The reason? We would be able to "wall out" certain hateful members we obviously can't stand, & leave them ranting in silence.

    They don't want that to happen, because then we could cut off half the poison coming through the site all by ourselves, without Admin interaction.

    Nice thought, though.

  17. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2017
    Age
    48
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by Prov910 View Post
    People get put on ignore by others for what they say. But it's not only the "trolls" who say offensive, sinful things on CC.

    There's something about anonymous posting on the Internet that causes people to say things they wouldn't say in a face-to-face conversation. This is especially true of the ministers, ex-ministers and clergymen on this site. I mean, when is the last time you heard your pastor call someone a heretic? Or heard them respond to a parishioner's earnest questions with, "That's blasphemy!" These are things you see nearly every day on CC. Because it's anonymous. On the Internet.
    Did you ever stop & think some of those people aren't preachers at all, hiding behind a curtain, like the all-powerful wizard of Oz?

    Or, are you taking a potshot at all the real preachers on here?

    I really can't tell. But I'm hoping for the best.

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2017
    Age
    48
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasrekeyed View Post
    that's what happens. and the bullies continue.

    about half a dozen people on here are bullies...and I don't know how they get away with it as I'm pretty sure the TOS do not allow for it..the funny thing is, at least 2 of them always appear in threads that condemn the name calling and bickering and yet the 2 of them are experts at that very thing. maybe they think they are hiding in plain sight?

    it speaks more to their immaturity and weakness than anything else IMO, but makes you wonder if they come here to blow off steam since they can hardly do it at church.

    I hope you don't go...you are reasonable and polite. most Christian forums will have the bickering but not the name calling
    First of all, let me call you out on some mistakes in your post.

    Only a half-dozen bullies? Go into the "Not By Works" thread, & do a recount. I think you'll find you left out a zero somewhere, LOL!

    Then there's the 2... I think it might be 7-8.

    Seriously, though, there's wolfpacks in here with over half a dozen members EACH. I can think of two of them right now.
    Last edited by Speak2Me; December 31st, 2017 at 02:44 PM.

  19. #39
    Senior Member RickyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2012
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,083
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Debates are fine, they hone the sword. But far too many here prefer to swing their sword than to sharpen it.
    BillG and Speak2Me like this.

    Truth is available only to those who have the courage to question whatever they think they know.

    It's hard to learn anything when you always feel the need to be the expert.

    Mark 7:34 “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.”

  20. #40
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,514
    Rep Power
    148

    Default Re: The ignore function

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    Debates are fine, they hone the sword. But far too many here prefer to swing their sword than to sharpen it.
    I just don't see what y'all are writing about.
    preacher4truth likes this.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Advanced Search function on CC
    By Prov910 in forum User2User Tech Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 4th, 2017, 05:37 PM
  2. Replies: 363
    Last Post: June 25th, 2015, 07:29 PM
  3. the function of the 144,000
    By kentappel in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: May 4th, 2013, 12:10 AM
  4. Ignore function to include listed threads?
    By wwjd_kilden in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 12th, 2012, 07:37 AM