1 Enoch (The book of Enoch)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DieuMerci

What do you believe about this book?

B

Baptistrw

Apocryphal... this thread should probably be in the Bible category.

C

Charles

I have The Pseudepigraha which contains books of Enoch; It does have the verses of Jude in it. Jude 14-15. To carefully read the books, do pray for understanding, knowledge and the such.

P

Porphyrios

Its an interesting book. I accept it as canonical since my Ethiopian Orthodox brothers and sisters do.

N

NazariteNation

Keep in mind that Enoch lived pre-flood so chances are that the real Enoch had nothing to do with the writing of this book. The oldest book that we know of is Job followed by the first 5 books of the OT as given to us by Moses. I would not put any stock in the book of Enoch whatsoever.

D

DieuMerci

Are you opposed to the idea that Noah brought it on the ark with him?

P

Porphyrios

Enoch I dates to the late BC period (like say 200ish bc-1 BC) and is part of the Jewish apocalyptic tradition like the Book of Daniel. The legends that Enoch actually wrote the work do not square with history. I think its worth noting not to over emphasize the book or treat is as something special beyond any other scriptural book. There is no secret knowledge or anything like that. Its just another Biblical book. I am unsure if Enoch I even has any liturgical use.

N

NazariteNation

Are you opposed to the idea that Noah brought it on the ark with him?
If that were true you would think that there would be some sort of biblical reference of such. I believe the only written accounts kept before the time of Moses was geneology that was actually carved into the staff of the family patriarch and passed down across the generations.

C

Charles

Keep in mind that Enoch lived pre-flood so chances are that the real Enoch had nothing to do with the writing of this book. The oldest book that we know of is Job followed by the first 5 books of the OT as given to us by Moses. I would not put any stock in the book of Enoch whatsoever.
Have not some books (Letters,Etc.) been written by others at a later date being lead byGod? Thereby giving their mesage?

J

Jaykay104

Jewish religious scholars did not allow Scripture to remain on old parchment so would constantly reproduce the writing. That is why there is not alot of ancient Scripture around.

Does it relate well with authorized Scripture, or does it contain something that you do not find in the Bible? I've not read it, but believe that the Bible in it's current state is God ordained.

C

Charles

Where does it actually state that Moses wrote the first 5 books or is this an asumption?

D

DieuMerci

Charles Have you read Jubilees?

S

SummaScriptura

What do you believe about this book?
Usually people's knee-jerk on this subject is, "its not a part of the canon of my church", or "its not inspired".

I am noting you're not raising those issues.

I'd like to raise an entirely different possibility, not related to canon...

I believe, after having NOT wanted to believe so for some time, the Book of Enoch was written by the Biblical Enoch. Apparently, Jude did too. Not only did Jude quote Enoch 1:9, he in fact alludes the the contents of Enoch's book at least seven times in his tiny epistle. Jude was a veritable Book of Enoch apologist. There's not been many of those on record in the history of Christendom since Jude's time.

May 2, 2011
There are three threads on Enoch that have been posted to within the last hour, these are:

LINKS:
http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/18290-enoch.html?highlight=enoch
http://christianchat.com/christian-young-adults-forum/1217-1-enoch-book-enoch.html?highlight=enoch
http://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/47228-book-enoch.html?highlight=enoch

Why not get together and share your insights and knowledge (not trying to hi-jack or cross-thread, just consolidate for simplicity and greater edification)

U

Ugly

Yes, no need to resurface a THREE YEAR OLD thread where ALL of the original posters are no longer even on the site.

S

SummaScriptura

Augustine rejected the Book of Enoch because it was too old. He accepted Job and Moses though.

B

BirdiesLoveJesus

I dont think it should have been taken out of the bible due to its " irrevelancy " because it is very relevant. I love it because it answers all my questions of the nephlim and why god had to destroy the world in the flood. I personally love that book.