2Pet 1:20

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I was reading thru Dwight Pentecost's book "Things to Come" and ran across this interesting interpretation of 2Pet 1:20.
I had not thought of this before but it seems right on. What do you think?

"Peter tells us in his second letter that “no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” By this it is not meant that no private individual can interpret prophecy. The idea intended by the apostle is that no prophecy of the Word is to be interpreted solely with reference to itself…but all other portions of the prophetic revelation are to be taken into account and considered."Pentecost, J. Dwight. Things to Come: A Study in Biblical Eschatology

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
(2Pe 1:20) KJV

First of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation,
(2Pe 1:20) ISV

knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation.
(2Pe 1:20) ESV

Dec 12, 2013
I think it is tied in with the rest of the context and goes to the following...

1. No one man prophesied and it is not of a private interpretation, but rather..

2. HOLY MEN (PLURAL) of God prophesied as they were moved by the Holy Spirit...

3. The prophecy that has been given is not some private interpretation of any one man, but rather the collective of the HOLY MEN that were guided by the Spirit of God......

K

kennethcadwell

To me it says that you are not to read the prophecies in the bible and interpret it yourself.

You should take and read it, and then you should research it and use material from other brothers and sisters in Christ that have come before you to get the proper meaning of it.

We are told in another scripture to question and test all things. Also in another it says that scripture is to be used properly by knowing the correct meaning of it. You do that by not only studying the bible itself, but the people that wrote the passage to get what context they were using.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The thing is even though scriptures were written by men who were inspired by God, it is a true fact that man has defiled those scriptures. Even Paul who did not defile the word still wrote stuff that was not commanded by God.

Look at 1 Corinthians chapter 7 when Paul is speaking about celibacy. He says in this chapter that he wishes all could remain celibate like him, but it is not a command to be that way.

There are mistranslations in all the English translated bibles, including the KJV. The KJV has been deemed to still be the closest to the original texts though. So if you just read the scriptures for black and white, and not actually study then you may or will get the wrong context in some cases.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
To me it says that you are not to read the prophecies in the bible and interpret it yourself.

You should take and read it, and then you should research it and use material from other brothers and sisters in Christ that have come before you to get the proper meaning of it.

We are told in another scripture to question and test all things. Also in another it says that scripture is to be used properly by knowing the correct meaning of it. You do that by not only studying the bible itself, but the people that wrote the passage to get what context they were using.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The thing is even though scriptures were written by men who were inspired by God, it is a true fact that man has defiled those scriptures. Even Paul who did not defile the word still wrote stuff that was not commanded by God.

Look at 1 Corinthians chapter 7 when Paul is speaking about celibacy. He says in this chapter that he wishes all could remain celibate like him, but it is not a command to be that way.

There are mistranslations in all the English translated bibles, including the KJV. The KJV has been deemed to still be the closest to the original texts though. So if you just read the scriptures for black and white, and not actually study then you may or will get the wrong context in some cases.
What do you think of the view set forth in the OP?

P

psychomom

i have heard it taught that 2 Pet. 1:20 means the prophet himself is not to try to provide interpretations...:rolleyes:

idk. it seems to me one must take into consideration the whole counsel of God.
for instance (and i think this is what's on most ppl's minds) The Revelation.
i wonder if i should spend a few years studying the OT before i even try to come to an understanding of it.

:)

Feb 21, 2012
I was reading thru Dwight Pentecost's book "Things to Come" and ran across this interesting interpretation of 2Pet 1:20.

"Peter tells us in his second letter that “no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” By this it is not meant that no private individual can interpret prophecy. The idea intended by the apostle is that no prophecy of the Word is to be interpreted solely with reference to itself…but all other portions of the prophetic revelation are to be taken into account and considered."Pentecost, J. Dwight. Things to Come: A Study in Biblical Eschatology

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

First of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation,

knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation.
private - idios - pertaining to one's self, one's own, belonging to one's self

interpretation - epilusis a form of epiluo meaning "to let loose upon" - ex. as a hunting dog is let loose upon game. So idios and epilusis equals " of no personal letting loose." One does not just let his mind run vagrantly as when turning a dog loose upon game; one does not let his mind wander and give all kinds of interpretations to the Scripture.

Eliminating private interpretation, two alternatives remain 1) either there is no interpretation possible or 2) the Word must interpret itself. The above is what I have been taught regarding 1 Peter 1:20. The Word interprets itself with all God breathed scripture on the subject taken into account.

So I would agree "but all other portions of the prophetic revelation are to be taken into account and considered." Also, the Word interprets itself 1) in the verse where it is written (clear meaning) 2) it interprets itself in the context (either immediate context or remote) or 3) the interpretation can be found by its previous usage in scripture.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Well, different.........but honestly as I read it, Peter is saying that prophecies and the interpretation of them are of the Holy Spirit and not of man (the prophet or the interpreter).

J

JesusIsAll

A most interesting, well worded statement, which is said other ways, that the Bible interprets the Bible, that all verses have a context, that all verses must be viewed within the contextual light of the entire word of God. And to say an individual can't interpret prophecy is like saying an individual can't study and learn the word of God, which we're instructed to do in scripture. I'd agree he's right on. (It's also a pointed warning to watch out for corrupt interpretation, like one verse, even one word, doctrines of men, abuse of scripture to carnal or deceptive ends. Such bad exegesis could make the Bible say most anything at all, is the mother's milk of deceptive cults of men, which are not of God.)

A

Ariel82

I always took it to mean that God sends the same message to all His children. That if it is really from God then many people who truly seek God's heart will hear and understand the message.

For example, the coming of Christ was foretold throughout scriptures in the OT by many different prophets.

Also I think its a warning against "personal" "special" interpretations of prophecies by certain people to elevate themselves or place themselves in position of authority. Especially if they try to come between God's people and their own personal relationship with God.

For it says in Scripture that the only mediator we need in the NEW covenant is Christ:

Jeremiah 31:

[SUP]33 [/SUP]But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. [SUP]34 [/SUP]No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

E

elf3

Very well worded. I think Dwight's interpretation is correct.

J

JesusIsAll

Forgot to add that, also, the verse means we shouldn't interpret scripture the way we want to, either, turn it into a matter of "hearing what we want to hear," as it is the inspired word of God, of His meaning to seek out, devoid of our personal prejudices.

E

elf3

Forgot to add that, also, the verse means we shouldn't interpret scripture the way we want to, either, turn it into a matter of "hearing what we want to hear," as it is the inspired word of God, of His meaning to seek out, devoid of our personal prejudices.
For sure and it's kind of a shame that this needs added.

J

JesusIsAll

For sure and it's kind of a shame that this needs added.
True, yet you see people injecting their own prejudices into interpretation all the time, to the point we have all these whacko groups, even, based on concocted doctrines that tickle their ears. I know I believe a few things I'd rather not see in the Bible, but the point is what God is saying, never what we want to hear. After all, if it's not truth, it's worth absolutely nothing, a complete waste.

E

eternally-gratefull

great book. Made me change my view on a few things

I have always thought of it that we are to interpret scripture with scripture. not with our own interpretation.

Taking prophesy and making an allegory of it would be a private interpretation. Take it literally. That is what prophesy is for. God is the only one who can predict the future, It proves he is the only god. to make an allegory (private) interpretation is to make ones own, and distort the reasoning of prophesy. You can make a prophesy say anything and no one can prove you wrong.

J

JesusIsAll

great book. Made me change my view on a few things

I have always thought of it that we are to interpret scripture with scripture. not with our own interpretation.

Taking prophesy and making an allegory of it would be a private interpretation. Take it literally. That is what prophesy is for. God is the only one who can predict the future, It proves he is the only god. to make an allegory (private) interpretation is to make ones own, and distort the reasoning of prophesy. You can make a prophesy say anything and no one can prove you wrong.
Allegorizing is poison, a means of making the Bible, which is even primarily literal, say whatever one can concoct. Hundreds of Old Testament prophecies have been fulfilled and quite literally. Catholics are great at injecting the Roman cult on every other page of the Bible.

Jan 27, 2013
different levels of understanding can bring its own trouble.
following history shows ot prophets/and people that followed god etc, and how history was affected at that time following on to finished or still going. via a future time.

one thing is missed is the fact, some things were said to encourage , some were said as a warning. and some came to past.
both nt and ot

rev is the one book that gives the reader a blessing by reading it.
3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.Revelation 1

there is many thing missed like table 12 times 12 fundamental arithmetic
1,2 3 etc time 1 to twelve.

ie these fundamentals are the basic counting format, that are used today,

horse power to flying power, ie fire burns with air.

there are many more that prove , how the world evolved give encouragement to the believers etc put all happened in different time and eras. as they progressed though times of history. ie start small and build up. music , medical , and computer. etc lol
have fun.

that these, are a sign to blind and deaf. that history was for told to them, just they never saw it.

E

elf3

True, yet you see people injecting their own prejudices into interpretation all the time, to the point we have all these whacko groups, even, based on concocted doctrines that tickle their ears. I know I believe a few things I'd rather not see in the Bible, but the point is what God is saying, never what we want to hear. After all, if it's not truth, it's worth absolutely nothing, a complete waste.
One church's website I looked up basically says they allow and encourage their congregation to interpret the Bible according to their own conscience. Shoot Charles Taze Russell did that when he created the JW'S. That should be a BIG sign for us.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
"knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation" 2 Peter 1:20

"τοῦτο πρῶτον γινώσκοντες ὅτι πᾶσα προφητεία γραφῆς ἰδίας ἐπιλύσεως οὐ γίνεται," 2 Peter 1:20

Looking closely at the Greek, we have to remember that γραφῆς or Scripture always referred to the Old Testament in the New Testament. Further, ἰδίας or "one's own" means that it was the mark of a false prophet to speak "his own thing" of himself.

The key word here is really ἐπιλύσεως, which means releasing, solving or explaining, interpreting. The word almost come to mean inspiration. Peter is talking about the divine origin of Scripture, not about its proper interpretation.

Thus, I think this commentary misses the point of this verse, and this passage. Peter was likely referring to the Old Testament prophecies about the Kingdom to be established by the Messiah at the end of history. This is the whole point of 2 Peter.

That is what two commentaries say, and this seems right in context with the passage and the book.

Sep 6, 2014

Brother crossnote, thank you for bringing up this question.

Peter tells the probationary Christians here in 2 Peter 1:20 (
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature) that while living virtuous lives ,and while waiting for the Holy Spirit ("until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:"), and while in pursuit of the knowledge of God our Father and Jesus Christ to know before they even start out to live a godly life, to never attempt to use private interpretation in regards to prophesy as they have not received proper spiritual discernment yet. After we have the Holy Spirit we are not a private interpreter anymore as we have a more sure word of prophecy with God dwelling in us.
" For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

"By this it is not meant that no private individual can interpret prophecy."
If the private individual (probationary Christian) in question is not anointed with the Holy Spirit yet he can not interpret prophecy properly anyways as it is only discerned by the Spirit of prophesy.If this statement is applied to those who have not received the promise, I would disagree as this is what Peter was warning probationary Christians about in 2 Peter 1:20 to begin with.

" The idea intended by the apostle is that no prophecy of the Word is to be interpreted solely with reference to itself …but all other portions of the prophetic revelation are to be taken into account and considered." I disagree with the bold type and wonder if Dwight Pentecost ever received the dawn and day star in his heart? (Holy Spirit). But I agree with the later "but all other portions of the prophetic revelation are to be taken into account and considered."

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013

"Peter tells us in his second letter that “no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” By this it is not meant that no private individual can interpret prophecy. The idea intended by the apostle is that no prophecy of the Word is to be interpreted solely with reference to itself…but
all other portions of the prophetic revelation are to be taken into account and considered.
How strange that he left out that the whole counsel of God is to be taken into account.

The preceding context (vv. 16-19) indicates that the topic is the apostolic message,
did it originate with man or God?
Likewise, the following context (v. 21), is about origin, prophecy does not come from a human interpretation of things.
"For" of v. 21 is an explanation of v. 20, restating its content and then affirming God is the origin of prophecy.