A Book Recommendation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

arwen7

Not that I REALLY want to start a debate about the end-times, dispensationalism, 'rapture', Armageddon, etc,:rolleyes: I've already experienced someone insulting me, because what I had learnt in my studies didn't fit into their personal end-time script. But I DO want to recommend a book that I am currently reading in my Apocalypse course at University :) It has been VERY insightful on the book of Revelations and addresses topics like the 'rapture' in contemporary Christian belief, dispensationalism and the Left Behind books.

It's called The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in Revelations by Barbara Rossing
___________________________________________________________________________________
A description:

The idea of "The Rapture" - the return of Christ to snatch born-again Christians off the earth - is an extremely popular interpretation of the Book of Revelation in the Bible and a jumping-off point for the best-selling Left Behind series of books. However, most Christian churches and biblical scholars condemn rapture theology as a distortion of Christian faith with little biblical basis. Yet this interpretation, based on a psychology of fear and destruction, guides the daily acts of thousands if not millions of North Americans and people worldwide.

In The Rapture Exposed, professor of theology and ordained minister Barbara Rossing argues that the Left Behind novels' script for the world's future distorts the Bible, is disingenuous, and flat out wrong. There is neither "rapture" of Christians off the earth, nor does Revelation predict a seven-year tribulation culminating in war in Israel and the Middle East. Rather, Rossing argues, Revelation offers a vision of God's healing love for the world - a love that will not be left behind. The Rapture Exposed makes the case for reclaiming Christianity from fundamentalists' destructive reading of the biblical story and back into God's beloved community.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Z

zaoman32

So I'm a little bit lost, slightly confused by the description and title, it sounds like maybe it's building a case for the rapture, and then not, and then starts to sound like it's not making any end times case, just a story of hope?

I offended someone once by saying I didn't understand them, so I apologize if you get offended, I'm just genuinely looking for clarity here on what it's about.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Interesting. Unlike this comment.

Aug 2, 2009
So I'm a little bit lost, slightly confused by the description and title, it sounds like maybe it's building a case for the rapture, and then not, and then starts to sound like it's not making any end times case, just a story of hope?

I offended someone once by saying I didn't understand them, so I apologize if you get offended, I'm just genuinely looking for clarity here on what it's about.
Its basically saying that the common interpretation of the rapture among born-again christians (i.e., people being taken up into the air, a 7-year tribulation period, a huge war against a middle-east leader with nukes who is really the anti-christ) is actually not endorsed by most biblical scholars or by most christian churches, and has little biblical basis.

The book shows (exposes) the interpretation that is more widely accepted by biblical scholars and churches (including the author). This more widely accepted interpretation explains that the book of Revelation is really a description of how God will bring about a worldwide healing through His love.

Last edited:
A

arwen7

I'm not offended at all! :) If you called me an apostate against the church and not a christian, then I would be :p

A

arwen7

Its basically saying that the common interpretation of the rapture among born-again christians (i.e., people being taken up into the air, a 7-year tribulation period, a huge war against a middle-east leader with nukes who is really the anti-christ) is actually not endorsed by most biblical scholars or by most christian churches, and has little biblical basis.

The book shows (exposes) the interpretation that is more widely accepted by biblical scholars and churches (including the author). This more widely accepted interpretation explains that the book of Revelation is really a description of how God will bring about a worldwide healing through His love.
Thanks, I couldn't have said it better myself :) The book also gives a background of what the context was when John was writing it; it helps a bit with the symbolism

Z

zaoman32

It definitely sounds interesting, I'll have to look it up. I've definitely heard good points building the case for rapture, very convincing ones, though I myself don't believe in it.

K

kayem77

It sounds interesting. I have yet to find an interpretation of the End Times that convinces me. I usually avoid this topic since most Christians I know believe in the common interpretation nowadays, which is the one you mentioned, but it just doesn't convince me....I'm prepared for the worst :).