A dialog about Fathers, from the movie, "Smoke Signals"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
From the movie "Smoke Signals."

"How do we forgive our fathers?
Do we forgive our fathers for leaving us too often?
Or forever, when we were little?
Maybe for scarin' us with unexpected rage?
Or makin' us nervous because there never seemed to be any rage there at all?
Do we forgive our fathers for marryin' or not marryin' our mothers?
For divorcin' or not divorcin' our mothers?
And shall we forgive them for their excesses of warmth or coldness?
Shall we forgive them for pushin' or leanin"?
For speakin' through walls or never speakin', or never being silent?
Do we forgive our fathers in our age or theirs?
Or in their deaths saying it to them, or not saying it?
...If we forgive our fathers,
what is left?"

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
One of my favourite movies and woefully underrated! A wonderful blend of humour, deep insights, and colourful characters.

In forgiving my father, I also learned to forgive myself. In forgiving, I found that I could hear his story differently, and learned that his mistakes in raising me were not his sin exclusively, but also the result of his upbringing, which was partly the result of his father's upbringing, etc. There is brokenness in this world which was not his fault. I also came to realize that even if he had done everything right, it still would not have been enough, because only my Heavenly Father is enough.

My dad and I came to Christ about the same time, so although we've lived apart for most of that time, our relationship is much closer now than it ever was when I was growing up. Thanks, Herald, for the reminder. :)

Nov 25, 2014
The book was even better, IMO.