A few questions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BigFriendlyApologist

Banned [Reason: ongoing "gay Christian" agenda and
May 8, 2012
Hello All,

In talking with my friends, both Christian and non-Christian alike, I have come across a lot of resentment towards certain aspects of the church and Christianity as a whole. Mainly it comes in the form of being angry at the hypocrisy of certain Christians, the lack of respect some Christians show towards others, etc.

So I would like to pose a few questions to try to get some feedback.

1. If you are a non-Christian, what most annoys you about Christianity or the majority of Christians that you meet? (Christians can answer this too if they have had bad experiences with fellow Christians)

2. What should we as Christians do (within reason) that would improve or fix these issues?

3. (Mainly to non-Christians) Have you ever met a Christian who lived their life in such a way that it was apparent that they believed in an all-loving and compassionate God and what impact did that have on you, if any at all?

Thanks. Hopefully this thread will spark some thought into what we as Christians can do to improve the lives of our neighbors and the relationships with those around us.

W

Willot

I'll have a go at answering the questions, as an atheist.

1) Definitely not being told that I'm going to hell, I find that bizarrely amusing tbh. Keep that up people, it gives me a laugh. I just have 3 main things that annoy me most:
-Ridiculing other religions
-Treating homosexuals as second class citizens
-Indoctrination

I know all Christians don't do those things but the last is by far the worst. Nothing annoys me more than a misinformed kid having fundamental Christianity (or any religion for that matter) shoved down his/her throat. I know a great analogy for that but it's not really very appropriate so I'll move on lol.

2) As Christians, you shouldn't do those things. And when it comes to indoctrination, don't just bring your kid up in a bubble, let them see what the world's actually like.

3) I don't tend to judge someone on if they believe in God or not, everyone can live their life as they see fit and treat those around them as they would like to be treated. But I honestly haven't met a Christian who has had any impact on me (other than some of the ones that make me want to start believing in god and pray for the american education system)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2011
1) Well the christians that annoy me are the closed minded ones (anyone closed minded annoys me) some examples wud be: thinking your beleif is the only beleif that can possibly be true...only listening to christian music...only using bible verses to answer a question etc.

2) just be open minded lol

3) nope, can't say any have really had much affect on me, frankly I just find it amusing when people try to live to obey and please a god xD

(I'm not atheist, I'm not sure what I am....just sayin lol)

U

Ugly

I think a lot of #2 has to do with the fact that anyone is allowed in church, or to proclaim themselves Christian. I saw a video of a guy on youtube recently where he declared over and over 'i'm a Christian!', then next thing i know he's telling some of his listeners 'f*** you you b****es'. 0.o All over some petty issue.
A lot of church people are just weekly church goers doing the family tradition of 'being good people' and evidencing that by sleeping through service each week. Just seems a lot of people want to be called Christians, but few understand the true calling of it or what it means to live it. I think thats quite evident on this site with some people. B
But then the more serious Christians get caught up in the rules and regulations aspect or making labels as to what is and is not 'Christian'. Doesn't help that a lot of the preachers anymore, big namers, are preaching selfishness anyways. Messages are not longer about heaven, hell, servanthood, sin, forgiveness. Now its how to be happy and get what you can from God, your genie.

BigFriendlyApologist

Banned [Reason: ongoing "gay Christian" agenda and
May 8, 2012
Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

I'll have a go at answering the questions, as an atheist.
1) Definitely not being told that I'm going to hell, I find that bizarrely amusing tbh. Keep that up people, it gives me a laugh. I just have 3 main things that annoy me most:
-Ridiculing other religions
-Treating homosexuals as second class citizens
-Indoctrination
I'm a Christian and I get told I'm going to hell too lol. As to the other things, I agree with you. I don't know what you mean by indoctrination in this case. I would contend that it is fine to take a kid to church and teach him the ways of your religion but I would agree that indoctrinating them to hate or not giving them the opportunity to learn more beyond a specific set of beliefs (such as that inclosed in a denomination or even an individual church) is problematic.

But I honestly haven't met a Christian who has had any impact on me (other than some of the ones that make me want to start believing in god and pray for the american education system)
I don't know whether to laugh at the joke or cry at the fact that everyone has given you that impression :)

just be open minded
Good points. An open mind is always good :)