A Force of Habit? or Lack of thought?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

richie_2uk

Force of Habit? or Lack of Thought?

I Heard lots of Christians say the words, oh Good luck, or that's not lucky, or hope luck is on your side. and the list goes on regarding luck. I for one was in the habit of saying one or two of those things in the past. But I still hear it from even pastors, leaders and other Christians. Let's look the meaning of the word Luck:

1. Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.
2. Chance to find or acquire.
3. Chance or fate.

mentions a lot of the word Chance. so lets look at the word chance.

1. A possibility of something happening.
2. Chance, luck, gamble, fate.

Is there a chance with God? is it only a possibility with God? Do you take a gamble with God?

Do we need to watch our mouths? when we as Christians say things like Good luck? or hey lucky you. Is there biblical meaning of this word luck?

A few verses that may help those in the habit of saying luck.

James 4: 13-15.
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town
and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what
tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a
little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we
will live and do this or that.”

Philippians 4: 8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Luke 6: 45.
The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the
evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of
the heart his mouth speaks.

You can see were this is going. What words we speak as a Christian will have an effect. Don't worry I'm not judging you, as I was guilty of this myself. and Learnt the hard way to think before I speak. Remember words from the mouth is like a sword.

James 1: 6.
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his
heart, this person's religion is worthless.

How I got out of the habit of saying things like oh good luck, or things regarding luck. I had to force myself say, God willing, or If it's God's will. Because luck is not from God, there is no chance with God, What you see is what you get with God. He does, he means what he says. So bare that in thought before you tell people Good luck, or hope you get lucky, or hope luck is on your side. Because Luck is never on anyone side. Luck is thoughtless, But God's will is meaningful.

Again this is not a judgemental Thread. because I was guilty of this once myself. You may not think this means nothing to you, but if you really do think about it. As Christians we are not supposed to believe in luck if we Believe in God's will.

R

richie_2uk

Force of Habit? or
Lack of Thought?

R

richie_2uk

So what you think? Is it A Force of Habit? or Lack of thought? What's your thoughts on this?

May 24, 2013
Force of Habit? or Lack of Thought?

I Heard lots of Christians say the words, oh Good luck, or that's not lucky, or hope luck is on your side. and the list goes on regarding luck. I for one was in the habit of saying one or two of those things in the past. But I still hear it from even pastors, leaders and other Christians. Let's look the meaning of the word Luck:

1. Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.
2. Chance to find or acquire.
3. Chance or fate.

mentions a lot of the word Chance. so lets look at the word chance.

1. A possibility of something happening.
2. Chance, luck, gamble, fate.

Is there a chance with God? is it only a possibility with God? Do you take a gamble with God?

Do we need to watch our mouths? when we as Christians say things like Good luck? or hey lucky you. Is there biblical meaning of this word luck?

A few verses that may help those in the habit of saying luck.

James 4: 13-15.
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town
and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what
tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a
little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we
will live and do this or that.”

Philippians 4: 8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Luke 6: 45.
The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the
evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of
the heart his mouth speaks.

You can see were this is going. What words we speak as a Christian will have an effect. Don't worry I'm not judging you, as I was guilty of this myself. and Learnt the hard way to think before I speak. Remember words from the mouth is like a sword.

James 1: 6.
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his
heart, this person's religion is worthless.

How I got out of the habit of saying things like oh good luck, or things regarding luck. I had to force myself say, God willing, or If it's God's will. Because luck is not from God, there is no chance with God, What you see is what you get with God. He does, he means what he says. So bare that in thought before you tell people Good luck, or hope you get lucky, or hope luck is on your side. Because Luck is never on anyone side. Luck is thoughtless, But God's will is meaningful.

Again this is not a judgemental Thread. because I was guilty of this once myself. You may not think this means nothing to you, but if you really do think about it. As Christians we are not supposed to believe in luck if we Believe in God's will.
I like to fish. I've planned fishing trips months in advance. I hope it doesn't storm and rain during the time I have planned to go fishing.

I hope the fish are biting. I hope I am lucky enough to catch a bunch of walleye.

I don't say,,, if I don't catch anything today,, it's because God doesn't want me to eat.

If I'm lucky,, the weather will be nice and the fish will be biting.

It's got to rain sometime... The world doesn't revolve around my schedule...

So, If I'm lucky, things will be just as I want them....sunny days and hungry fish.

I sure won't pray for a continued drought until my fishing trip ends..

To me,,saying "goodluck" is much akin to saying,, "how you doing?" People that ask me how I am doing really don't want to know my personal life on such a personal note as the pharse would suggest. It sounds personal,, But for most,, it's a superficial greeting.

Interesting syntax and phrases that we use. No doubt about it.

john832

May 31, 2013
There is no such thing as luck as a force in the universe. There is time and chance. Conditions dictate what will happen but magic, luck, spells and the such are foolishness.

S

SpaceCowboy

It's just an expression man..
Although it would be nice to hear a genuine Godbless then a good luck.

E

enoch1nine

Well the hebrew word for "reasoning" sounds like english "luck", so if you can't break the habit, just wish it with a different intent.
:p

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Most of time its down to a lifetime of conditioning, its just a natural thing we automatically say as its part of our culture etc