A Matthew 6:33 state-of-mind

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

arwen7

A cornerstone verse for me in my adult life has been a paraphrase of Matthew 6:33- 'Seek first the kingdom of God, the rest will follow...' It has influenced my decision to go back to university, without knowing exactly what career I will end up with afterwards. I decided to just go in it with faith that I will figure it out and in the meantime, I hoped that I would draw closer to God, meet good people, learn more about myself and my faith. I also hoped that I would meet a man, after all Bible schools have been jokingly known for being 'Bridal schools' :p

Well, I am in my third year of University, and no luck, and I simply don't understand why. It seems like the Matthew 6:33 state-of-mind was easier to follow with my decision to go back to University, then it was to wait patiently for a mate. Its hard not to look inwardly and wonder, is there something wrong with me? Or trying to find some kind of justification to why God has not put someone in my life yet. I believe that I have a lot to offer, but I see all these people at school getting into relationships and getting engaged, and wonder when will it be my turn?

I don't know. I pray to God that His Will be done and not mine. But in the back of my mind, I still hope, please let it be soon.

J

jkalyna

A cornerstone verse for me in my adult life has been a paraphrase of Matthew 6:33- 'Seek first the kingdom of God, the rest will follow...' It has influenced my decision to go back to university, without knowing exactly what career I will end up with afterwards. I decided to just go in it with faith that I will figure it out and in the meantime, I hoped that I would draw closer to God, meet good people, learn more about myself and my faith. I also hoped that I would meet a man, after all Bible schools have been jokingly known for being 'Bridal schools' :p

Well, I am in my third year of University, and no luck, and I simply don't understand why. It seems like the Matthew 6:33 state-of-mind was easier to follow with my decision to go back to University, then it was to wait patiently for a mate. Its hard not to look inwardly and wonder, is there something wrong with me? Or trying to find some kind of justification to why God has not put someone in my life yet. I believe that I have a lot to offer, but I see all these people at school getting into relationships and getting engaged, and wonder when will it be my turn?

I don't know. I pray to God that His Will be done and not mine. But in the back of my mind, I still hope, please let it be soon.
IT DEPENDS ON THE WHY DID YOU GO TO BIBLE SCHOOL. USUALLY PEOPLE GO THERE BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BE IN THE MINISTRY AS A PASTOR. I KNOW 2 GIRLS WHO WENT TO BIBLE SCHOOL GRADUATED, DID NOT MEET THEIR MATES THERE EITHER, ACTUALLY 4 GIRLS, ONE MY SISTER, MET HER HUSBAND AT A CHURCH COFFE HOUSE. A FRIEND, MET HER HUSBAND AT HER CHURCH. MY DAUGHTER MET HER HUSBAND ONLINE AT A CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP SITE, AND SHE IS WONDERFULLY MARRIED AND HAS 2 DAUGHTERS. I THINK GOING TO BIBLE COLLAGE IS TO BRING A THEOLOGY DIPLOMA HOME, AND FOCUS ON THAT AS A CARIEER. THOSE WHO HAVE MET THEIR SIGNIFICANT OTHER, PROBABLY WERE CALLED INTO A MINISTRY. I DON'T KNOW YOUR CALLING, BUT " 91 PSALM SAYS " CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD, AND HE WILL DELIVER YOU. DON'T THINK NEGATIVE ABOUT YOURSELF, THIS IS THE FIRST BRICK WALL THAT HAS TO COME DOWN. GOD BLESS YOU.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
Welcome to CC.

I know this isn't the opinion you want to hear probably, and some here seem to disagree but...
I don't think that verse is promising a wife or husband to any of us. It's more about God meeting our true needs.
As I like to say: God doesn't always give us everything we want, but He does give us what we need.
He knows best.

I'm not saying there isn't a guy out there for you though. Just keep your eyes, ears, and heart open. Many of us here are older than you and have yet to find that special person, so we can relate. It certainly doesn't mean that something is wrong with you. It's better to be patient and find that right person than jump into something that turns out really bad.

A

arwen7

Thank you for your reply :)

I agree. It's more of a 'don't worry about all those other things, seek Me first' type of verse and not promising a mate. The Bible also says in Matthew 7:9-10- 9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!".

With that said, I realize that it is according to His Will though. I know He has my best interest in mind. And not to lean on my own understanding. He knows something that I don't, that is why I pray let Your Will be done, but also whisper, please let it be soon.

R

Risen

You are a beautiful woman and I believe that you will soon find your soul mate, just be patience and continue to wait. With thanksgiving let your request be known unto God in prayer and subblications.

U

Ugly

You won't find a soul mate, as there is no such thing. But from the little bit you've posted you seem to have a good vibe about you, intelligent, attractive, God centered.
My suggestion to you is to take this time to learn as much as possible about real marriage. I grew up in a home where both parents loved each other unconditionally. So i thought that coming from a good home situation i knew all i needed about marriage. But man, over the past few years i found out there was so little i knew. I suggest finding some good books on the topic, bible studies, talk to people in good marriages and see what they do right... talk to divorced people and see what they did wrong. I never thought about doing that at first, but over the years found myself in these situations to learn about marriage and i now realize i was not ready at all, when i thought i had it all figured out.
Just a suggestion. As stated, there are a number of people older than you on this site still single, or currently single, and some of them i'm amazed they're single because they're such wonderful people. So don't worry, you're likely not the problem.

B

Beloved57

I don't know. I pray to God that His Will be done and not mine. But in the back of my mind, I still hope, please let it be soon.[/quote]

I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psalms 139:14

There is nothing wrong with you, you are the person, God desire you to be. He has also fillled your heart with a desire, til your desire is meet it will make your heart sick, but when God meets it, it will be a tree of life (Proverbs 13:12)

A

arwen7

You won't find a soul mate, as there is no such thing. But from the little bit you've posted you seem to have a good vibe about you, intelligent, attractive, God centered.
My suggestion to you is to take this time to learn as much as possible about real marriage. I grew up in a home where both parents loved each other unconditionally. So i thought that coming from a good home situation i knew all i needed about marriage. But man, over the past few years i found out there was so little i knew. I suggest finding some good books on the topic, bible studies, talk to people in good marriages and see what they do right... talk to divorced people and see what they did wrong. I never thought about doing that at first, but over the years found myself in these situations to learn about marriage and i now realize i was not ready at all, when i thought i had it all figured out.
Just a suggestion. As stated, there are a number of people older than you on this site still single, or currently single, and some of them i'm amazed they're single because they're such wonderful people. So don't worry, you're likely not the problem.
Thank you for your suggestion and encouragement! :) You are very right, it really is a great time to read about marriage and the opposite sex. I will look into some books. Any particular recommendations? :)