A New Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
I never have been able to get anybody to tell me how the government benefits from such a deception though.
The government are largely servants of Satan. Or the fat guy with the most cash, which often amounts to similar behaviour. Most can see that now. Aren't lies the devil's native tongue? That's why governments lie about absolutely everything, too. Not all people in government, but most of 'em. Governments have made a lot of money from lies over the years. Ball-Earth is a particularly big earner for 'em.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The government are largely servants of Satan. Or the fat guy with the most cash, which often amounts to similar behaviour. Most can see that now. Aren't lies the devil's native tongue? That's why governments lie about absolutely everything, too. Not all people in government, but most of 'em. Governments have made a lot of money from lies over the years. Ball-Earth is a particularly big earner for 'em.
How? Where does a ball earth cash flow come from?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
How? Where does a ball earth cash flow come from?
I can't even think how much tax money NASA has been given. And that's only one space agency. Enough money there to justify them all.

Probably people in those days were too smart to accept a climate change hoax, so they had to invent something nerdier. These days, people will believe anything.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I can't even think how much tax money NASA has been given. And that's only one space agency. Enough money there to justify them all.

Probably people in those days were too smart to accept a climate change hoax, so they had to invent something nerdier. These days, people will believe anything.
That's all? We have lied about the shape of the earth for CENTURIES just so we can have a fake space program for a few decades?

Doesn't seem to be worth it...

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
That's all? We have lied about the shape of the earth for CENTURIES just so we can have a fake space program for a few decades?

I know, Lynx, in 2023, for this to be a deception, there are A LOT of people who have to knowingly be lying, not to mention hundreds of years previous. The money from a few decades of NASA is horrendously insufficient a reason.

At one of Cornerstone festivals, a christian sister who was a key person working on the Mars rover project came and gave presentations for the week about her work. She would continue working on it, as it was active on Mars for a long time. She may still be working on the current projects. I wish she could have fellowshipped with Moses. He could have explained to her how she was purposely deceiving us. Having been called out she would have explained why she was in league with satan, how those benefits were better. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think she knew. Maybe she was brainwashed.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Flat earth is always a great conversation starter and an entertaining one.
Since nobody gets hurt it's always fun.

Except for this guy: Mike Hughes (daredevil) - Wikipedia
Now, he was a flat-earther and died trying to prove the Earth was flat.
His public relations guy after Mike's death said that Mike was essentially "trolling" people about Flat Earth so he could get money.
This is my default setting when dealing with flat earthers. They're trolling and it's a fun topic to laugh about.
But sometimes i wonder how far are they willing to take their "trolling" which would make them true believers and this takes it to another level because it's no longer that nobody gets hurt.

Maybe Mike was just an adrenaline junkie instead of a flat earther and that's what i'd like to believe about him.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019

The core reason is to create doubt about the scriptures. I'm not sure how they might have made money out of that from 500 years ago (bearing in mind making money is only a secondary objective), but written bibles weren't so prevalent as they are today, so probably wasn't so key a goal. About 100 or so years ago, Flat Earth started making a comeback, so Heliocentrists needed something a little more convincing. Bearing in mind there was no internet 100 years ago, so ideas spread more slowly.

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
The core reason is to create doubt about the scriptures. I'm not sure how they might have made money out of that from 500 years ago (bearing in mind making money is only a secondary objective), but written bibles weren't so prevalent as they are today, so probably wasn't so key a goal. About 100 or so years ago, Flat Earth started making a comeback, so Heliocentrists needed something a little more convincing. Bearing in mind there was no internet 100 years ago, so ideas spread more slowly.
Naturally what you're doing is taking a position, and then trying to assemble what fits it.

If you look at the history of the issue, which is easy to do, you'll see the work of astronomers 1400-1600 (just to take a snippet) was the work of devoted christians. In the late 1400s early 1500s, Copernicus who worked for the church, studied astronomy and developed models that resolved the observations, such as the observed phases of Venus. The published and noted objections of other christian astronomers were not religious, they were theoretical. The Roman and Orthodox church did not come out against its heliocentrism.

When Galileo used the new telescope to confirm models with direct observation, heliocentrism became accepted by those doing the work. The Pope, who leaned geocentric, and Galileo discussed it, and the Pope allowed him to publish his findings as a dialogue between two people. The advocate of Copernicanism was well-spoken. The Aristotelian advocate, named Simplico (simpleton), was stupid and pigheaded. The Pope then took a sharp position :unsure:. The Roman Catholic church would reverse its geocentric position much later.

Here's a quote from an AnswersInGenesis.org article: The Copernican System & the Bible:

Some people read geocentrism into Scripture. For instance, the go-to passage for geocentrism usually is Joshua 10:12–14, in which Joshua commanded the sun and the moon to stand still. But does this mean that the earth does not rotate? Hardly. Astronomers talk about the sun moving across the sky, though they aren’t geocentrists. Astronomers also speak of the sun rising and setting (as does the Bible), even though astronomers believe that the earth’s rotation accounts for the sunrise and sunset. So why do people want to understand such passages as teaching geocentrism? Reading either geocentrism or heliocentrism into the Bible is eisegesis, and that is the wrong way to read Scripture.