A Passover Seder for Christians, link to a printable service

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kenisyes

Happy Passover. I saw the full moon last night. Seemed to feel special somehow. Happy new beginning.

Jan 19, 2013
You can print out a seder service for passover, or simply read what passover means to us as Christians.
It is not Biblical for Christians to observe Passover.

Passover was an OT memorial meal which Jesus replaced with the Lord's Supper as the NT memorial meal (1Co 11:24-26).
In the NT, we are to proclaim the Lord's death until he comes (1Co 11:26), not Israel's deliverance.

NT believers are not to use Jewish ceremonies.
Paul says that practicing these ceremonies is turning back to dead, miserable, worldly forms of religion, because they do not come from the new creation in Jesus Christ (Gal 4:3, 8-11; Col 2:8, 17, 20; Heb 10:1).

NT believers are not to use any ceremonies not authorized by Jesus Christ or the apostles.
Paul states that unauthorized ceremonies are "will-worship" (Col 2:22-23, KJV), devising our own way of honoring God instead of honoring him only in the way he has prescribed.
All forms of religion outside the NT are worldly because they are authorized by man only,
and not by God.
We should do nothing that dishonors God (1Co 10:31).

Remember Uzzah's mistake of presuming God would be pleased with what seemed good
to him (2Sa 6:6-7).
Remember Nadab's and Abihu's mistake of presuming God would be pleased with what seemed good
to them (Lev 10:1-2).
And David, who had no warrant from God to build a temple, was stopped by God
because he had no warrrant for doing so (2 Sa 7:13).

We must inquire of God in his word how he would have us honor him (1Chr 15:13).
God in his word authorizes no other NT rites or rituals but baptism, the Lord's Supper, anointing with oil (Mk 6:13; Jas 5:14) and laying on of hands (Ac 6:6, 8:18, 13:3; 1Ti 4:14; 2Ti 1:6; Heb 6:2).
It is not for us to improve on God's ordinances.

For the precepts of the ceremonial law were abolished (Eph 2:15; Heb 9:10) and set aside (Heb 7:18-19) when the covenant was made obsolete (Heb 8:6-10, 13, 9:15, 10:9) for which they were the condition (Ex 19:5; Jer 11:4-5, 7:23; Lev 26:3 w/12: Hos 1:8-9).
In the NT ii is disobedience to practice them.

So it is one thing to learn about the Jewish Seder, just as we learn about the other Jewish ceremonial laws,
but it is quite another thing (disobedience) to practice the Seder in the NT,
just as it would be to practice the cleansing rituals for the defilement of sin.

Therefore, Seder practice (not Seder instruction) is unauthorized, disobedient (Gal 4:9-11), dishonoring, non-Christian will-worship.
It is human wisdom, not God's wisdom;
it is zeal (though well-intentioned like Uzzah, Nadab, Abihu and David) without knowledge (Ro 10:2).

Last edited:

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
God bless you for posting this. It was very interesting, and I am printing it out, with the intention of reading all the Hebrew. I also shared the link with my Hebrew class.

I think that we need to learn more about the culture and rituals which Jesus participated in. This is a step in the right direction. And I love that Yeshua is the fulfillment of the Passover and the Messiah.

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
I have one that I did when the Children were home it is so nice thanks for sharing. God bless

zone

Jun 13, 2010
It is not Biblical for Christians to observe Passover.

Passover was an OT memorial meal which Jesus replaced with the Lord's Supper as the NT memorial meal (1Co 11:24-26).
In the NT, we are to proclaim the Lord's death until he comes (1Co 11:26), not Israel's deliverance.

NT believers are not to use Jewish ceremonies.
Paul says that practicing these ceremonies is turning back to dead, miserable, worldly forms of religion, because they do not come from the new creation in Jesus Christ (Gal 4:3, 8-11; Col 2:8, 17, 20; Heb 10:1).

NT believers are not to use any ceremonies not authorized by Jesus Christ or the apostles.
Paul states that unauthorized ceremonies are "will-worship" (Col 2:22-23, KJV), devising our own way of honoring God instead of honoring him only in the way he has prescribed.
All forms of religion outside the NT are worldly because they are authorized by man only,
and not by God.
We should do nothing that dishonors God (1Co 10:31).

Remember Uzzah's mistake of presuming God would be pleased with what seemed good
to him (2Sa 6:6-7).
Remember Nadab's and Abihu's mistake of presuming God would be pleased with what seemed good
to them (Lev 10:1-2).
And David, who had no warrant from God to build a temple, was stopped by God
because he had no warrrant for doing so (2 Sa 7:13).

We must inquire of God in his word how he would have us honor him (1Chr 15:13).
God in his word authorizes no other NT rites or rituals but baptism, the Lord's Supper, anointing with oil (Mk 6:13; Jas 5:14) and laying on of hands (Ac 6:6, 8:18, 13:3; 1Ti 4:14; 2Ti 1:6; Heb 6:2).
It is not for us to improve on God's ordinances.

For the precepts of the ceremonial law were abolished (Eph 2:15; Heb 9:10) and set aside (Heb 7:18-19) when the covenant was made obsolete (Heb 8:6-10, 13, 9:15, 10:9) for which they were the condition (Ex 19:5; Jer 11:4-5, 7:23; Lev 26:3 w/12: Hos 1:8-9).
In the NT ii is disobedience to practice them.

So it is one thing to learn about the Jewish Seder, just as we learn about the other Jewish ceremonial laws,
but it is quite another thing (disobedience) to practice the Seder in the NT,
just as it would be to practice the cleansing rituals for the defilement of sin.

Therefore, Seder practice (not Seder instruction) is unauthorized, disobedient (Gal 4:9-11), dishonoring, non-Christian will-worship.
It is human wisdom, not God's wisdom;
it is zeal (though well-intentioned like Uzzah, Nadab, Abihu and David) without knowledge (Ro 10:2).
amen Elin.
yet they simply will not heed the warnings.
enamored of what they THINK is Biblical Judaism.
willingly led away from Grace.
and willing to lead others away.

Hebrews 10
The Full Assurance of Faith

19Therefore, brothers,c since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

26For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. 28Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. 29How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? 30For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

32But recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, 33sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated. 34For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one. 35Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. 36For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. 37For,

“Yet a little while,
and the coming one will come and will not delay;
38 but my righteous one shall live by faith,
and if he shrinks back,
my soul has no pleasure in him.”

39But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

The Seder is a ritual performed by a community or by multiple generations of a family, involving a retelling of the story of the liberation of the Israelites from slavery in ancient Egypt. This story is in the Book of Exodus (Shemot) in the Hebrew Bible. The Seder itself is based on the Biblical verse commanding Jews to retell the story of the Exodus from Egypt: "You shall tell your child on that day, saying, 'It is because of what the LORD did for me when I came out of Egypt.'" (Exodus 13:8) Traditionally, families and friends gather in the evening to read the text of the Haggadah, an ancient work derived from the Mishnah (Pesahim 10).[1][2] The Haggadah contains the narrative of the Israelite exodus from Egypt, special blessings and rituals, commentaries from the Talmud, and special Passover songs.

Seder customs include drinking four cups of wine, eating matza, partaking of symbolic foods placed on the Passover Seder Plate, and reclining in celebration of freedom.[3] The Seder is performed in much the same way by Jews all over the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover_Seder < click