A question that I can't see...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Sunday I had my pastor come up to me. And he asked with the biggest smile on his face, "Hey Tony what are you doing besides going to Oklahoma the next 2 weeks starting on Friday." Now I am not one to hyperactive in the church. In fact I like isolation hence why I am up at 3. a.m. sitting in a room alone. But he took me by surprise and I told him that I have summer school, and that I might not be able to go. Because this is my last chance too get my full high school diploma. But deep down inside my heart, I wanted nothing more to go to Oklahoma and help those in need and be a testament for Jesus Christ. So I prayed and told God that my wish was to finish summer school by Friday and be able to go on this trip but I was firm in believing "Your will be done". I have had some great life lessons and gifts with just saying, "Your will be done". Well I went to school yesterday and finished 2 semesters worth of math and 1/2 of a semester of economics. This made me beyond joyful and the teachers were far more impressed. So I told my pastor of my accomplishment and the fact I might be able to go. Which just knowing that through God and some hard work all things are possible has made me an even stronger believer...

I was on cloud nine... The silver lining seemed to become bigger then the clouds... Then I get a call, it is from my father. He tells me that my grandmothers situation is much more serious then I expected... She has been in the hospital for a a few days and I was under the impression it wasn't too serious... But now they are trying to keep her alive because her body is shutting down, and my father asked that I packed a suitcase for the worst... So I called up my grandmother just to talk and to put all those thoughts behind me and live in the happiness I wanted too... It sounds very cliche' but my grandmother is one of the most charismatic people you will ever meet, but when I called her, I heard her struggling for breath. After a while I grew accustom to the sound and played it off as nothing... I told her of my accomplishment and it made her beyond excited. I am the "smartest grandchild" not my words but hers. And she was happy to see me start to take acknowledgement in my own life. I think she was the only person more disappointed then myself in terms of not graduating. She was beyond happy and told me that she might not be able to send her graduation card soon. But that when she gets out, she will send it.

She kept on telling me all my relatives that are visiting her, they are coming from all across the united states... I knew I had a lot of relatives but the names seemed to never stop... Then it hit me... She really is dieing, not in a philosophical view point of we are dieing since birth. But the view point of; my grandmother might not be around much longer... After a few more minutes of casually talking she started to cough. And by the way she was coughing I could tell she was holding those coughs for the length of time we spoke... And knowing my grandmother she would continue to hold them unless it became physically impossible... SO for a few more minutes before I said my good byes I told her, "Grandma I have been praying for you". She thanked me with more love then I have heard of a person, she told me how much that one sentence meant to her, but then she confessed of the lack of prayers she has been saying lately. She told me how hard it has been to pray in her condition. And I told her, "Don't worry God knows your heart".

I am so torn... This is like a paper rock scissors to me... See I would like to put my grandmother above all but I think it would be more beneficial for God if I would go to Oklahoma. But If school takes another 2 weeks I would ditch school to see my grandmother. so I see it as-

Grandmother > School
School > Oklahoma
Oklahoma > Grandmother....

But I don't know if I am being selfish in this matter... See I am one to hide sorrow from myself for the short term and end up having it haunt me in the long term... I don't want to be running away from my own fears and have my grandmother die and I regret not seeing her one last time for the rest of my life.

A small part of me says go to Oklahoma because you know your grandmother believes in Jesus Christ... You know you will see her again...

And the smallest part of me says give up on life... Give up on hope...

I don't know which action to take. I am putting all my faith in God and praying to God with more tears then normal... But I am skeptic I would listen to God's choice and do my own by putting in some earplugs if that makes sense...

H

hattiebod

Thats hard...my heart goes out to you. I would perhaps think about your close 'mission field' (your family) first...can you discuss this with your family? could you go to your Grandmother now? after all, the needs in Oklahoma are going to be present for some time, your family maybe needs you right now...Would God ask you to not go to your Grandmother? yes, He could...but why? Pray through this and also try to speak with your family, your Grandmother and your pastor too? It is very possible, you can do both, in Gods perfect timing.
Why do you say 'Give up on life...Give up on hope'?
Praying that you will have clarity and peace. Remember, if in any of this you have conflict and chaos it is not of the Lord.
God Bless you and your faithful heart, <><

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Remember, if in any of this you have conflict and chaos it is not of the Lord.
God Bless you and your faithful heart, <><
Thank you for the reply, The reason I say give up on life and hope... Well I have always been at best of times a little self-depressing and self loathing...

But thank you, and I am trying my hardest to let God's will be done...

(Saying this irocnically) I just hate how easy it is to let his will be done when you want his will and it meshes with yours... But when you don't have a will of your own, its hard to see past your own shadow to see the green pastures ahead.

H

hattiebod

Thank you for the reply, The reason I say give up on life and hope... Well I have always been at best of times a little self-depressing and self loathing...

But thank you, and I am trying my hardest to let God's will be done...

(Saying this irocnically) I just hate how easy it is to let his will be done when you want his will and it meshes with yours... But when you don't have a will of your own, its hard to see past your own shadow to see the green pastures ahead.
I am not sure if it will be of any help, but i wrote out a wee list of helps (given to me a few years ago that i have found helpful) when trying to make a Godly decision. I put it in my blog, so you could check it out...Try to remember, self loathing and and depression are NOT of God, but of the enemy, who is delighted when we give into them. Easy not too? No. But, when these thoughts arise, stamp on them, in the full armour of God :) because, if you stay with those, you are indeed weak and possibly defeated. You are an amazing, precious, young :) powerful, purposeful, spirit filled son of the risen Lord!! WOW!! so, STEP OUT. Believe it...not coz you do, but because He says it is true. Act it, live it, day by day and He will meld with you as he moulds you. :)
Finding Gods will in our lives is one of the biggest challenges any Christian faces as we are continually pulled by our desires. 'Not our will Lord, but yours be done' SO tough. But, if we live under His authority, under His desires over our lives, it does get better. Our duty to God is our driving force. It provides unlimited love :)
God Bless you precious boy! and do keep me posted on what you are lead to do. I shall pray for you, your family and your Grandmother. Perhaps put a wee prayer request in the prayer thread / forum for you all? there are some lovely praying children of the King in there who would be so delighted to cover you all in prayer :)
<><

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Water1944

Tony, your post was a blessing to read. To read about your wonderful grandmother and how much you care for her, wow, thank you for sharing. Praise be to God for your faith and for the strength He gave you to work on getting done with school. I'm praying for you in your struggle to decide what's best. Can you talk to your pastor and your parents to help you decide? One thing I know to tell you, God will always be able to provide a place for you to go and witness and give help to those in need. I think you need support to help you decide, please reach out to those you trust to help you. One thing for you to think about, I know you said you will see your grandmother again, but will it be hard for you to have closure if you don't go visit her in the hospital, you sound very close to her, will this upset you later in life? I'm sorry, I may be hurting more than helping. You are in my prayers, May God lead you.