a question to drinking alchol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sose

can someone show me if drinking alchol in very moderation is bad as a sin. in the bible Jesus talks about puting new wine in new wine skins. thats proof that the wine is fermentating into alchol. because old wine skin will burst if you put them in them. because there already stretch out and can not exspan. thats why you have to put new wine in new wine skins.if Jesus himself made wine out of GODs power . and in poverbs GOD word talk about a drunker as basicly get plastered wasted ( i can walk in a straight line or say my a b c )where is the boundary.would you help me get some scriptors. i understand and feel guilt drinking way to much and dont do that any more but is this still a sin.

U

Ugly

Drinking is not a sin. Being drunk is a sin. Personally, i won't drink. This way i don't have to worry if i drink too much, or if i have to risk becoming addicted. If i don't touch it, it can't become a problem.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
You asked for verses, so here are a few:

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

"It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak."

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."

Being drunk is against scripture, but drinking in moderation is fine... however, IF you have had a problem knowing when to stop, I suggest you stay away from it entirely. Same thing if you weren't drinking for the taste, but for the effects.

Spartacus1122

Banned [Reason: insulting CC admin in previous pos
Jun 9, 2012
Consuming alcoholic beverages is a millenia-old tradition in human societies.
However, as with all things, excess of something can immediately snow-ball into obsession and addiction, therefore leading to sin.

So while it is perfectly normal for a family to share a glass of wine at the table, to allow it to turn the members into drunkards and sinners is to act against God.

Besides, a glass of red wine a day, keeps the doctor away! hahahaha ;-)

C

CC_Bride

Drinking alcohol is not a sin - getting drunk is. In Jesus' hey day water was never safe enough to drink and nonalcoholic juice wasn't even invented til the 1800s. Of course for some people, they don't feel according to their own conscience that they should drink (maybe because its a weakness for them or there is alcoholism in the family etc) and for other people alcohol is no problem. Other people try to force drinking alcohol into some sort of non negotiable law in church, but that is legalism. Whereas others may go the complete opposite direction and drink but cause others to stumble and sin.

My own personal rules re alcohol is this:

Is it legal? If you're underage and drinking then that is a sin because you're breaking a law meant for your own safety.

Is it helpful? If you're drinking alone and frequently after negative experiences or due to bad moods, drinking may not be a sin, but you're putting yourself down a path that could lead to drunkedness and addiction which is sinning. Are you drinking around someone who is struggling with alcohol abuse? Leading someone into sin (even if you're not the one sinning via alcohol) is essentially a sin.

Is it encouraging? If you're at a wedding and someone gives you a tiny glass of champagne to toast and drink to a couple, and you feel you alcohol is not a problem for you then yes you are free within your conscience to have a drink.

Is it being done wisely? You may be a Christian woman (or man) who with their conscience feels that its ok to go to a bar to watch a sports game or have a dance or whatever, but are you making sure that before you go out you eat a decent meal and while out drinking water between drinks and you're keeping a keen eye on your drink and not leaving it unoccupied and making sure you never allow others to top up an already filled drink? Some things that a just common sense that my wise mother taught me before I went to college, so many other people were never taught. Like we have limits and boundaries in relationships, driving a car etc , we should also have strong boundaries with alcohol.

B

Beloved57

Drinking in moderation is not a sin. Me, myself, I will not touch alcohol, because as a young boy, I got addicted to Coke/Pepsi was drinking a 24 pack a day of soda; I don''t want to tempt myself in this weakness.

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
I Timothy 5:23

X

xino

what Jesus was talking about was Fasting, he was using the parable of the new wine poured onto old wine skin.

drinking alchol is not a sin, even Jesus drank alcohol in those days.

getting drunk is no a sin, but Jesus warns is not good to get drunk. In fact he says you should be awake because when the time comes he'll come down like a thief in the night, and if you are drunk, you wouldn't know when he came.

But getting addicted to drinking/drunk taints your body into darkness.

drink but watch your alcohol consumption and don't over do it.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
The Bible says that all things are lawful but not all things are beneficial. Is drinking alcohol beneficial?

Here is my stance. I don't drink because I don't want to and I don't need to. Most people say they drink to unwind and relax. Honestly, I relax best when I just sit with my Savior and talk or worship or be silent. I don't need something like alcohol to remove my stress of the day. I'm a Christian and I have Christ. If He isn't the answer to all things in my life, what does that say to the world?

My other thought is this: Let's say that you can, in fact, have one beer or one glass of wine or one shot or whatever and be satisfied. Now, let's say that an alcoholic gets saved and is gloriously delivered from his/her addiction to alcohol, to the point where they are not even tempted. Yet, one day, they are in a restaurant either dining with you or at a nearby table and they witness you partaking in alcohol. Not getting drunk, just having one drink. They think, "Hmmm, he can drink, so can I." and thus they enter back into bondage. Now, one isn't supposed to base their walk on another's but let's face it, that is what we do, especially the newly saved. They are seeking guidance as to what it means to live a Christ-centered life.

Though the Scripture refers to something else, I look at this as causing a young one to stumble as, without harmful intent or purpose, you have officially led them back into bondage and alcohol addiction by indulging in your one drink. Just something to think about.

Why do you drink? Why do you want alcohol at all? I believe there is a reason to be sought out there.

A man was an alcoholic and was delivered and he changed his ways. At work, the men would tease him and taunt him and test him because he was cleaned by Christ and his talk and walk and attitudes and life changed. One day, they asked him, "Do you believe Jesus turned water into wine?" as a way of getting him to admit that drinking alcohol was okay because Jesus Himself did so. The man replied, "I do believe He turned water into wine. I wasn't there. But I will tell you this. In my house, He turned alcohol into furniture."

Shalom ve Ahava!

C

chel15

no drinking is not a sin but gettin drunk or plastered is a sin like the bible says drink but not be drunken

Mar 18, 2011
what Jesus was talking about was Fasting, he was using the parable of the new wine poured onto old wine skin.

drinking alchol is not a sin, even Jesus drank alcohol in those days.

getting drunk is no a sin, but Jesus warns is not good to get drunk. In fact he says you should be awake because when the time comes he'll come down like a thief in the night, and if you are drunk, you wouldn't know when he came.

But getting addicted to drinking/drunk taints your body into darkness.

drink but watch your alcohol consumption and don't over do it.

the parable of the wine was not about drinking or fasting. Jesus was explaining that with the Holy Spirit we become entirely new creatures. Within us was sin, corruption and death. Through Christ we inherit Love, righteousness and eternity. But you can't have the new and retain the old, that's like serving two masters. When you accept that which is new, you must do away with everything of the old and become a new creature entirely. The blood is for our remission of the sins we've committed, the cross is for the deliverance from the sin making machines that we are. Hence, we must bear our crosses daily. To remind ourselves we are no longer in control, but that Christ lives His life through us.

S

SpaceCowboy

can someone show me if drinking alchol in very moderation is bad as a sin. in the bible Jesus talks about puting new wine in new wine skins. thats proof that the wine is fermentating into alchol. because old wine skin will burst if you put them in them. because there already stretch out and can not exspan. thats why you have to put new wine in new wine skins.if Jesus himself made wine out of GODs power . and in poverbs GOD word talk about a drunker as basicly get plastered wasted ( i can walk in a straight line or say my a b c )where is the boundary.would you help me get some scriptors. i understand and feel guilt drinking way to much and dont do that any more but is this still a sin.
If your feeling convicted bring it before the Lord and see what he thinks about it.
We can only say so much.