A way to focus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SteveM

Mark 12:28-31

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, ‘Of all the commandments, which is the most important?’
29 ‘The most important one,’ answered Jesus, ‘is this: “Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.”[f] 31 The second is this: “Love your neighbour as yourself.”[g] There is no commandment greater than these.’

I am new to these discussions. I am not a minister of religion, nor a trained theologian.

I have been a Christian since the age of 32 (now 60). Before that I was neither agnostic nor atheist - I was more the "couldn't care less" sort of person.

When I came to the bible, I found contradictions, and a change through the books in the ways matters were expressed or done.

I came to be a Christian through reading and hearing primarily about Jesus, and it seemed to me that the Kingdom of Heaven He preached about and demonstrated was worth having and following. In fact as I read more, and searched more, it became obvious that I should have said I started to be a Christian at the age of 32 and am continuing to find out what it means, and how I should grow.

At my school, I was always challenged to review the evidence for the matters I came to believe. A defining moment in my life was when a history teacher, at the end of a fairly lengthy lesson, closed his lecture by saying; "Homework: How do you know I am right?"

As the world has changed down the centuries we have grown to understand more about the way our Creator's universe works. Indeed, the Bible says that we were made in His image, and I can only believe that this means we have the thirst for knowledge, the will and wish to create, and the ability to choose between good and evil.

The universe presents us with those choices, and they can be hard. Morphine makes a fine pain reliever. It also makes some hellish recreational drugs.

So I looked for a way to make my choices, and have found that the above passage, over the years, has come to mean more and more. If I take a choice, will I bring glory to God, and show that I love him? Will the choice show the love of my neighbour? Will the choice show the love to myself (since these appear to be linked)? Will the choice benefit both God and Neighbour?

I can use this to re-visit parts of the Bible I don't understand. I can use this in everyday life. I spend a lot of time thinking about it.

It's the final phrase that works for me "There is no commandment greater than these" or, from Luke 22:40 "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments"

It seems to me that we are being told to measure everything against these two commandments, and that others are subordinate to them - although each, of course, retains their value.

I wondered whether other people had made these connections?

S

Share55

Those verses have been my best argument in many cases when there is a debate about what is right and wrong. It is the basis for the New Testament which supersedes any judgments we may make upon others. It is the basis in which we run our households. It is the basis for disagreements between our fellow man.

And btw there are no contradictions in the Bible. The Bible is still the greatest book ever written and the best guide for everything in life. When a person says it is contradictory it just means that they have only read it with fleshly eyes.

Before you open your Bible to read pray! Ask the author and finisher to be your guide to open your eyes to your heart that you may see and it will become clearer to you. Those 66 books hold the answer to your whole life but you can do so only with God's help to discern the many different meanings. You can read a verse one day and then later on down the line depending on what you are going through, it will take on a different meaning. Since I asked God to guide me the Bible has ruined me for reading any other book and I always measure books I read against the Bible and they always fail.

It is by those verses that the Old Testament failed because of mankinds hard heartedness.