About the forum..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 27, 2005
I didn't know where else to post this... but I'd really like a break down of what exactly causes a forum thread to be closed. I understand (for the most part) why 2 of the three threads that i made that are now closed, are closed.. but why the other one?

As a general rule are women not allowed to write anything in the Bible discussion forum that can be ruled as a "teaching?" I've looked at 3 other females profiles today and the forum threads they submitted in the Bible Discussion forum have been closed. If women aren't allowed to post in the Bible forum... could you at least make it blatantly obvious that it's not allowed... so we don't waste our time and energy into making a thread that hardly anyone will be able to comment on?

Did you know that page 73 to page 170 in the Bible study forum are all closed threads?

Anyway.. can someone please tell me the not just common sense reasons a thread would be closed?

Aug 27, 2005
I searched through some friends and not friends: seoulsearch, grace, grimgower, soccerboo, me, and noahsmom have all had our B.D. forum threads deleted. i'm sure i could find a lot more if i wanted to.. but i don't feel like it.

Crypto

Nov 14, 2009
I looked when you mentioned it.

Aug 27, 2005
thanks for the reply. i saw that people were viewing my post but the lack of replies was sad.

Crypto

Nov 14, 2009
Yeah, not sure what is going on. I think some sort of explanation is warranted.

1still_waters

Threads are closed for a few reasons.

1. It's a redundant thread. In other words there many of the same topic going at the same time. We close these so the board isn't cluttered with the same topic.
2. Some are closed because tensions get too heated and everyone has already said what can be said on the given topic. To keep the peace, the thread is closed and people can just cool off.
3.Some threads are closed because they're false teaching or vulgar or too sexual.

4. Some threads are closed because they haven't been posted to in WEEKS or MONTHS. These closures are a matter of house keeping. We figure if someone hasn't posted to their thread for you know. 2 or more months, they're probably done with said thread. If they were wanting their thread to be active, it follows that they'd well, keep it active and not let it sit idle for you know, many weeks and many months. :p

I'm guessing reason 4 is the main reason some of your threads have been closed.

1still_waters

As far as the women teaching in threads. I don't think a woman posting in a thread of her views is 'teaching'. So it doesn't fall under the 1 Timothy 2 rule. (Please don't turn this thread in to a debate about that. Thanks.)

I don't know specifically what threads you are talking about Betsy, but if you have questions message me with a link to said thread and I can check it out.

1still_waters

Are you sure your threads were 'deleted'? We really only 'delete' threads if they are just vulgar or too sexual or just way way over the line.

1still_waters

My best advice to keep your threads active and not closed is to post to them regularly. Give us some indication you're still using them.

It's kind of like stuff in a closet. If it's not used for a LONG time, then that's an indicator that well, the person doesn't want to use them.

1still_waters

You did mention the Bible discussion forum. Here's the deal with that. Earlier this year that forum was just really out of control and unruly. I invested my time and really, really gave attention to things. I noticed some trouble makers, trolls and the like, they would resurrect threads that were WEEKS and MONTHS old, just for the sake of being a pain. You'd end up with the newer threads pushed to the second page.

Also some would resurrect OLD OLD OLD posts on topics, that were already being discussed in new threads. So you had the forum getting cluttered with two, three, even four threads on the same topic.

I imagine if this wasn't done, someone might of made a thread in the discussion forums titled..

"Why is the bible discussion forum cluttered with old threads and threads with the same topic and why are my posts being pushed back by people who just bump old threads to be a pain?"

Robo would have to enlarge the thread title subject field for that thread, but I think you get the idea.a :p

I approached robo and asked if it was ok to close threads that people hadn't posted to in over two months. He said ok. I figured if someone hadn't used a thread in over two months, then chances are they well, weren't interested in using it. It seemed like a good solution to tidy up the forum, and to me it just makes sense that people will keep something active if they want it active, hence closing a thread that hadn't been posted to for over two months wouldn't be that big a deal.

1still_waters

Hope that didn't come across as snotty on my part, that's just the reason we do what we do.

1still_waters

This wasn't specifically asked, but I can see it arising or being asked in someone's mind. Someone might go surfing through threads purposefully looking for moderator inconsistencies. They might see someone's threads from three months ago still open and some else's from the same time period closed. Or they might see one thing in one place and another thing in another place. Their pedantic combing of the forums could lead them to think the apparent inconsistencies are done on purpose by the moderators.

Here's the deal. Much of the modding is done on a 'as needed basis'. For example, the bible study forums were unruly and needed extra attention, hence all those OLD OLD threads were closed. Well someone might get all pedantic and go combing through another forum and see threads from months ago aren't closed. Then think there is some apparent moderator inconsistency. Well chances are, the forum being pedantically combed by said forum user to find inconsistencies, chances are said forum wasn't really needing the kind of attention the bible study forum did.

Also, keep in mind, us moderators do volunteer our time. We don't have the time to invest 20 hours a day to make sure we treated some stray thread on one part of the board, the same way we treated another stray thread on another part. We really don't have the time to keep a detailed spreadsheet or database to keep track of how we treated one thread, so we can treat the 100's of other stray threads the exact same way!

So yeah, there may appear to be some kind of inconsistencies, but that's because frankly, we don't really want to spend all our time creating a detailed spreadsheet to keep track of how we treated a stray thread here or there.

Again, I'm just addressing this here, because I can see someone potentially having a question that relates to what I just addressed.

Aug 27, 2005
Are you sure your threads were 'deleted'? We really only 'delete' threads if they are just vulgar or too sexual or just way way over the line.
i meant closed.. somehow i went from the first post saying closed.. to accidentally saying deleted.

thanks for the info