Abraham and Isaac

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
So everyone knows the story of Abraham and Isaac, how God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son to him and then was like "just kidding. You passed the test!" It's in Genesis 22. I don't understand why he did that. I get that it was to test Abraham's faith but wasn't it a little extreme? I mean God is a good God and I understand that. I think of what it would have been like from Isaac's point of view and how terrified he must have been. Wouldn't that have caused for some real father-son issues between them?

I have a theory on this: God did this not only to test Abraham but to show Isaac that he is both just and merciful. I'm in no way saying I am accurate but I like to think about these things from time to time.

What are your thoughts?

Dec 26, 2014
yahweh never does anything that's "just kidding".

notuptome

May 17, 2013
This is the kind of stuff that causes the philosophers to burn their brain cells out. Pondering why God who is God does what He does. God is God and all souls are His. God is able to do what He pleases with the souls of men.

You are correct that Isaac saw Gods mercy yet even if Abraham has slain him God would have been able to raise him up again. I suppose his father Abraham hope upon this hope as he raised the knife.

The works of God are so wonderful that no matter how you turn them there is more to learn and more wonders are revealed.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

T

Tintin

God loved Abraham, Abraham loved God, Abraham loved his son, Isaac and Isaac loved his father, Abraham and his God. Isaac trusted his father, deeply. Abraham trusted God. Abraham was prepared to sacrifice his one and only son to God to show his enormous love for God. Is anything here starting to ring any bells? :)

P

purpose

God loved Abraham, Abraham loved God, Abraham loved his son, Isaac and Isaac loved his father, Abraham and his God. Isaac trusted his father, deeply. Abraham trusted God. Abraham was prepared to sacrifice his one and only son to God to show his enormous love for God. Is anything here starting to ring any bells? :)
I love the way you worded this. Totally makes sense!

Jan 6, 2014
It was a sign of how God would eventually save the world by sacrificing his own Son, Abraham knew God had promised him that Issac would be the seed through which messiah would come and if God did have Issac sacrificed God would also raise him from the dead. Abraham trusted God completely to fulfill his promises.

just some quick thoughts